How To Fix The Education System

dc's teflondondc's teflondon Posts: 5,617 ✭✭✭✭✭
we all know public education is trash; but every year they always talk about education reform; but it is based on the old and outdated traditional education system..how would you go about re-inventing instead of reforming education..here is what i would do:

School Hours
- Hours of operation would be increased to 9-5
Update Curriculum
- Teachers should teach the subject and not the test
- If the school is specialized (engineering, arts, hospitality, etc.); then all students should have an interest in that specialization
Better use of Social Media/Web
- Every teacher needs webpage dedicated to their subject, classroom and school; which needs to be updated weekly with extra assignments, tips, and other informative information
- School administrators will also be required to have a webpage dedicated to their school and updated weekly
Students required participation in community service/internships
- Students required either complete 120 hours of community service or have a documented internship with a list of their duties and what they learned and accomplished
Better utilization of both public and private sectors
- The school system should make better use of these entities that can offer students different opportunities and experiences to show them there are more areas to be successful than sports and entertainment
Education outside of the classroom
- Better utilization of surroundings outside of the school that can offer a new perspective
- Take trips to museums, fashion week, stock exchanges, manufacturing facilities, etc.
Better inclusion of parents/guardians
- Engage parents/guardians besides letters of missed school or suspensions
- Invite them to view classes
Teacher Evaluations
- Teachers should be evaluated and rewarded based on student improvement and not test scores ( if a student started the year at a 3rd grade level when they should be at 6th; but finishes the year at a 5th grade level when they should be at 7th should count for something)
- Teachers should also be cognizant of students who may need social services and inform the right person and continue to follow-up to ensure that the student needs are being addressed
Ajackson17Young_ChitlinDillaDeafKing EraunoLurker6

Replies

• Ajackson17Ajackson17 God King Posts: 16,563 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Students should clean the schools for pride of their respected learning centers like in Japan.
    LUClENCharlie_
  • 700700 I been chasing this dream so long, chasing it, I'm chasing it, told myself that I gotta stay strong Plap City, FLAPosts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ajackson17 wrote: »
    Students should clean the schools for pride of their respected learning centers like in Japan.

lol
  • Meta_ConsciousMeta_Conscious Hypocrite The BashmentPosts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with a focus on learning as opposed to test taking...
    no need for longer hours...
    there also needs to be more of a focus on the end... what is the purpose of these 12+ years of school?
    Lurker6Wild Self
  • 2stepz_ahead2stepz_ahead Who I am is Complex, What i am, simply put. I'm a Threat walking out the lions denPosts: 15,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    people clowned me years ago when i said they should clean and you'd take pride in something you cleaned.

but anyway
    its alot bigger than money for teachers.

its about classism first. rich people need to be able to feel the got something.
    then it turns to racism. white people want to feel they got something.

if the field was level, then who can really look down their nose at you until you fukk up? society doesnt want you to fukk up, they want to be able to call you a fukk up even if your not.

so if you dont educate them, then most likely they will become fukk ups. and those who dont fukk up, we can say they came from poor school and they are not worthy or dont qualify.
    Ajackson17DillaDeaf
  • BiblicalAtheist BiblicalAtheist Prude OutskirtsPosts: 11,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They'll even clean up and then lie and say they didn't. Western children won't pick it up without being asked, or even covertly nudged to do it, and when they did do it, they wanted credit for it and wouldn't lie about doing it because they are taught all lying is bad.
  • Ajackson17Ajackson17 God King Posts: 16,563 ✭✭✭✭✭
    .IRS. wrote: »
    They'll even clean up and then lie and say they didn't. Western children won't pick it up without being asked, or even covertly nudged to do it, and when they did do it, they wanted credit for it and wouldn't lie about doing it because they are taught all lying is bad.
    Thats what cameras are for.
  • MeesterMeester jy klink stom bitch country.Posts: 10,516 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get rid of the hormone pumped teachers
  • MrSoutCityMrSoutCity Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Out source it....Let private companies place bids to run the school and evaluate them on a yearly basis. Get rid of fucking unions.
  • First, students and parents should be held accountable for their actions or lack thereof.

Secondly, America as a country has lost the value of education, nobody wants to learn anymore, they just want the accolades. Nobody wants to learn or actually know and understand the material
    "I just wanna pass the class, get my diploma, degree, whatever"

Make school completely optional. Standards and expectations have been lowered because of all the kids and their parents who dont wanna be there. Dragging them along, and making the coursework easier has dumbed down our schools. State testing is formulated and used because there has to be some sort of measurement for statistics and a to hold schools accountable.

Teachers teach the test becuase their jobs depend on it, they cant feed their family because some kid and their parents dont care about education and are forced to school by law, or the parents use school as a baby sitter.

You wanna fix education, be a better parent.

Teachers cant be expected to turn water into wine
    rockets
  • Discipline, if you want something, you do whatever it takes to get it.
    Social media? School aint supposed to be fun smh, everything in life cant be entertaining.
  • Gold_CertificateGold_Certificate Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The students are the ones that are the most broken.
    LUClEN
  • NeighborhoodNomad. NeighborhoodNomad. Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reaching Your Maximum Potential.
    http://community.allhiphop.com/discussion/484845

Hopefully this helps.
  • BiblicalAtheist BiblicalAtheist Prude OutskirtsPosts: 11,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too many teachers are fucking our children!! Too many crazy people are killing our children in school!! Other students are killing our children!!

I see where this is going, no more teachers, just computer terminals and armed guards to "protect the students".
    Meta_ConsciousLady_Zee
  • What's wrong with the education system. America's education system pumps out more successful people than any place in the world.
  • CottonCitySlimCottonCitySlim Posts: 5,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pralims wrote: »
    people clowned me years ago when i said they should clean and you'd take pride in something you cleaned.

but anyway

its about classism first. rich people need to be able to feel the got something.

if the field was level, then who can really look down their nose at you until you fukk up? society doesnt want you to fukk up, they want to be able to call you a fukk up even if your not.

so if you dont educate them, then most likely they will become fukk ups. and those who dont fukk up, we can say they came from poor school and they are not worthy or dont qualify.

what about the well funded white schools that put out dumb students on the same level as the "under funded schools"?

explain that

• 2stepz_ahead2stepz_ahead Who I am is Complex, What i am, simply put. I'm a Threat walking out the lions denPosts: 15,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pralims wrote: »

but anyway

what about the well funded white schools that put out dumb students on the same level as the "under funded schools"?

explain that

the white school put out dumb student so they can have a better graduation rate to get the grants an funds. would you rather have your kids go to a school with a 95% graduation rate or a 65% graduation rate?

one thing i learned about this school shit living in the burbs is how the game is played.
  • Es-BeeEs-Bee 2nd coming Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marva Collins already showed how

My daughter transfered to a school with a similar curriculum to Marvas, shes in 2nd grade & went from barely reading to reading books on a 4th grade level all in 1 semester
  • s_a_m_r_i_os_a_m_r_i_o Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't read.

That's another problem, short attention spans. I'm sure your ideas are great but a problem is that people don't get to the main points or teach stuff very uninteresting.
  • Matt-Matt- Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    its run by the government. thats the first problem. Them being in control may be unavoidable, but as long as they are at the helm, there will always be issues
    Kai
  • Soooo are there any high school or college graduates that feel that they have been failed by the educational system and therefore are behind in life?

Lets hear some personal stories.
  • LUClENLUClEN Sociologist and Logician OceaniaPosts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A passing grade in a critical thinking course should be mandatory for graduation imo
    TooGood
  • Better Students.
    Baruti_DjehutimesLUClENTooGood
  • Knock_TwiceKnock_Twice Aint never had nothing in my whole life, grew up on eggs and rice Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    Stop teachin B.S.

Put more emphasis on Economics...

Teach family structure...

I feel now that I'm older that the only subjects that I needed to learn back in my early years in school were Math and Science now so and English..and my Black History..everything else was a waste...you can learn that other shit on your own if you desire..

Put alot on focus more so on Technology/Science English and Math

Wild Self
  • LUClENLUClEN Sociologist and Logician OceaniaPosts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lil Loca wrote: »
    I read that there's a growing connection between poverty and how schools function. This is pretty interesting.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011-10-06/news/ct-perspec-1006-urban-20111006_1_poor-children-graduation-rate-gap

I would also say involve the community, teachers, students, in how curriculum needs to change to fit the needs of the kids, not a sole school board who aren't directly involved trying to use top down methods of fixing it.

I had a teacher that thought greater interest in education could be achieved if neighbourhoods were built around schools with the schools being much larger and having community centers, public gardens/green houses, activity centers and more. Seniors, widows, parents, teens and kids alike would come there to do all sorts of things from learn to play ball or work on the garden.

His idea was that it would be a lot harder to have a "fuck school" mentality or get overly focused on being "hard" if you were getting your education at an institution with your grandma, baby sister etc. Seems a little idealistic but that's interesting you think more community involvement would improve things as well.
    Charlie_
  • Meta_ConsciousMeta_Conscious Hypocrite The BashmentPosts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    More parental responsibility....
    bubbaclotLPastLUClENTooGood