Is the art of sequencing and making a album dead?

usmarin3usmarin3 Posts: 35,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
Listening to Kendrick Lamar's album and Killer Mike's albums, they played like a story and had continuity. My question is why do so many albums sound so disjointed, whether it sounds like a bunch of singles or the production doesn't have a common sound.

I bet you Kendrick and Killer Mike went into their albums with a vision of what they wanted instead of just recording a bunch of songs.
ohhhlagenocidecutterachewon87Muhannadnj2089NoCanadiansEH?CJ5th Letternex ginAlready Home_17runningwolf1980Reggie80DrKnockbootsinfamous114bigev240south4life

Replies

• heavyrelishheavyrelish Posts: 476 ✭✭✭
    Absolutely it is. Partly because people don't listen to albums how they used to (like they used to watch television) partly because the art form is being lost.
    achewon87rip.dillanj2089NoCanadiansEH?
  • AggyAFAggyAF Posts: 24,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    how many albums in general have concepts? the label knows you are just gonna delete half of the songs on a tape or album so why bother sequencing?
  • usmarin3usmarin3 Posts: 35,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    how many albums in general have concepts? the label knows you are just gonna delete half of the songs on a tape or album so why bother sequencing?

It doesn't have to have a concept, it has to have a flow to it. Those non single songs are what ties a album together.
  • ohhhlaohhhla Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Usmarin3

So, GKMC is a classic, right?
    usmarin3 wrote: »

It doesn't have to have a concept, it has to have a flow to it. Those non single songs are what ties a album together.

still the label and the artist knows you are just gonna delete half of the album. so if im a label head, if i don't particularly care for the music, im pushing a formulaic album
    ohhhla wrote: »
    @Usmarin3

So, GKMC is a classic, right?

I think it has the possibility to be, i need to see the after affects of it (the impact and shift it makes in hiphop).
  • ROZAYTABERNACLEROZAYTABERNACLE Posts: 17,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought Cole's had a nice flow as well.
    I thought Cole's had a nice flow as well.

I think Mr. Nice Watch and Work Out stuck out like a sore thumb.

@usmarin3

We can agree that Big L's first LP was a perfect example of conceptual album, right?
    ohhhla wrote: »
    @usmarin3

We can agree that Big L's first LP was a perfect example of conceptual album, right?

It was but, it don't think Big L was that good of a artist then. That punchline style gets old and doesn't age well imo
  • andre_1024andre_1024 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't say it's dead, it's just not as common..I also feel its not as important to a casual listener as it is to a real music head..
    mike06king hassan
    @usmarin3

Big L was great storyteller and most of songs were pretty dark.

Even his freestyles. Punchlines was his Bnb

Just like Double Entrende is Hov's

Co-sign on him not being a good artist.
    freshb651
  • StewStew Im In My Permanent PRhyme We run this spot like a Chinese sweatshopPosts: 34,222 Regulator
    Not dead, rappers just arent creative nor talented enough to do it. Most just want to put out an album with some hot joints on it.
    5th LetterAlready Home_17king hassanbigev240
  • genocidecuttergenocidecutter Posts: 9,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brotha Lynch hung would like to have a word with you
  • rip.dillarip.dilla Posts: 14,594 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's loads of HipHop albums like that . .

But you'll only find most of them released on independent record labels
    achewon87NoCanadiansEH?genocidecuttersouth4life
  • CirocObamaCirocObama Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's pretty simple to me, it's just about marketing. When you're signed to a major and
    with the way sales is going the way it has been you kinda have to make albums fit for every demographic which isn't something new. It makes it easier to market the album to a larger audience.

Rappers could really play it like DMX did on "It's Dark And Hell Is Hot" but you know how the game can be. His album was like a story and a strong theme to it so the song everybody considered a chick song ("How's It Goin' Down") still fit with the rest of the album and it's theme if you really listened to it.
    jonoAlready Home_17idoitforhiphop10south4life
  • jonojono Right fist = power, left fist = unity Posts: 17,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Albums today sounds like compilation albums. They have the same structure as the old Kay Slay or Funkmaster Flex albums. Its a collection of singles/possible singles and a ton of features with no real purpose to them.
    rip.dillaAlready Home_17idoitforhiphop10south4life
  • 5th Letter5th Letter AKA 5th Element Posts: 26,156 Regulator
    It's a combination of what y'all saying

The every song has to sound like a single technique

Too many features

But I do think these rappers/label heads in a way underestimate hip hop fans and think we all are for the most part don't care about a cohesive album.
  • rip.dillarip.dilla Posts: 14,594 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If Kendrick could do it effortlessly and still sell a good amount of records then any serious minded rapper can . .

Game's Jesus Piece though a good album was a classic example of mainstream excess and he ain't even sold more than K.Dot even with all those features . .
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    If Kendrick could do it effortlessly and still sell a good amount of records then any serious minded rapper can . .

Game's Jesus Piece though a good album was a classic example of mainstream excess and he ain't even sold more than K.Dot even with all those features . .

You still need that momentum and backing (Dr Dre, Jimmy Iovine, jay-z,etc). Labels need to start developing these artist and back them on some organic shit.

You still need that momentum and backing (Dr Dre, Jimmy Iovine, jay-z,etc). Labels need to start developing these artist and back them on some organic shit.

Labels are not going to develop artists anymore. This isn't 96 anymore. Labels aren't taking chances anymore.

Labels are not going to develop artists anymore. This isn't 96 anymore. Labels aren't taking chances anymore.

Then how do you explain Kendrick, J Cole, Big Sean,etc

Then how do you explain Kendrick, J Cole, Big Sean,etc

The labels didn't do anything for those artists. except put J Cole on tours
  • 5th Letter5th Letter AKA 5th Element Posts: 26,156 Regulator
    They don't do shit for these artists. These labels act like they are Koch records and put the artist out to sink or swim and if they pop then they take the credit. But if the artist fail they say "he didn't work hard enough"