Which is better: The Warm Up or Friday Night Lights?

idoitforhiphop10idoitforhiphop10 Posts: 5,954 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2013 in The Reason
It's no question that these are J. Cole's two seminal works. Cole probably won't even surpass these two projects (unless Born Sinner proves otherwise). Which of these do you think is cole at his best?

The Warm Up:

Friday Night Lights:

Which is better: The Warm Up or Friday Night Lights?

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Replies

• DMTxTHCDMTxTHC Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Warm Up
    The Warm Up, hands down..
    DetroitPlayaaLUClENBDBIIDiron man1
  • AggyAFAggyAF Queen fi England haffi love (half) yardie Posts: 26,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    can't chose. FNL should have been the album
    qawshunRubato Garcia
  • idoitforhiphop10idoitforhiphop10 Posts: 5,954 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Warm Up
    I will say this tho, fnl imo had better, more polished production. But warm up i think was better lyrically. He had more storytellin and conceptual songs on there.
    Lab BabyLUClENiron man1Ear2ThaSt
  • CJCJ Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't choose man..lol

Rubato Garcia
  • buttuh_bbuttuh_b Posts: 11,524 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both wack
    CJidoitforhiphop10Nah SonLUClENnawledge_godlookdudeA1000MILESR.D.Monizzle14qawshunEar2ThaSt
  • Lab BabyLab Baby Posts: 6,941 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will say this tho, fnl imo had better, more polished production. But warm up i think was better lyrically. He had more storytellin and conceptual songs on there.

All this. Warm Up felt like an actual mixtape. FNL made me mad cuz he threw away what could've been a really dope album, then give us the slighty above par Cole World, which felt more like a mixtape than FNL.

And Looking For Trouble is fuckin epic.
    DMTxTHC
  • LUClENLUClEN Sociologist and Logician OceaniaPosts: 17,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    The Warm Up
    I loved the warm up. I will personally go as far to say it's in my top 10 mixtapes of all time.

He really talked about internal conflict a lot on that tape. The struggle between right and wrong, light and dark, Black and white, within every man and in our society. It was very subtle too - he did not do it solely by coming outright and saying it directly. He did it through story telling, through description of his own feelings and the details of how he saw the nature of his world.

FNL was dope, but he changed a bit and it sounds like he tried to go for a more appealing sound. It was the beginning of his quest to get that radio hit.
  • BDBIIDBDBIID 5* Poster. Ranked #1 ESPNU150,Rivals,247Sports. Uncommitted. The Fieldhouse. Posts: 13,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Warm Up
    The Warm Up, hands down..

LUClEN
  • andre_1024andre_1024 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Warm Up
    Goin with Warm Up..
    The Warm Up
    Lab Baby wrote: »

All this. Warm Up felt like an actual mixtape. FNL made me mad cuz he threw away what could've been a really dope album, then give us the slighty above par Cole World, which felt more like a mixtape than FNL.

The thing wit his album is u could tell that he was just tryin to play it safe. Wit songs like workout, can't get enough, nobody's perfect, Mr. Nice watch, cole world, and in the mornin, he was desperately tryin to chase a hit due to pressure. He's been sayin lately that he has more freedom and he's in the same space now as he was in durin the warm up, so maybe he can redeem himself on born sinner *crosses fingers* .

• qawshunqawshun Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Friday Night Lights
    I still go back to fnl I haven't played warm up in who knows how long
  • Lou_CypherLou_Cypher One Cold Ass Honkey It's Cold, AlaskaPosts: 28,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Warm Up
    Warm up Was the shit. So was FNL but i played the Warm up More.
    LUClEN
    The Warm Up
    Bump for the niggas who ain't vote yet.
  • 32DaysOfInfiniti32DaysOfInfiniti Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Warm Up
    The Warm Up, I was hype and putting all my homies on Cole when I heard that but then when I listened to Friday Night Lights I renigged after hearing all that off key singing...

I havent fucked with him since
  • DMTxTHCDMTxTHC Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    The Warm Up
    Lab Baby wrote: »

Cosign 100%.. I remember when Higher was rumored to be a single for Cole's debut before FNL came out..

And Cole sounded real sharp on The Warm Up, and the concepts were on point as well..