Do exclusives still matter?

Karl.Karl. Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭✭✭
Video discusses why Sonys "epic" exclusives fail to sell consoles.

XBOX is just better.
genocidecutter

Replies

• earth two supermanearth two superman ladies please dont fight. E2S is here all night! Posts: 17,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ps3 is just fine with consoles. theyre about to pass up 360s worldwide, arent they?

and its pretty easy to sell consoles when, you know, 1 out of 3 were breaking down on you about 3-4 years ago.
    VulcanRavengenocidecutter
  • Karl.Karl. Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    They don't make money off consoles. They make money off selling games.
  • joshuaboyjoshuaboy Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea, they do. It determines if I buy a system or not. If I can get a game on all system, the ones I don't get is because I'm interested in exclusives I can't get on them
    VulcanRaven
  • VulcanRavenVulcanRaven Rise from the ashes MarylandPosts: 15,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How can they fail to sell consoles when the PS3 has outsold the 360 at a higher price? Why else would anyone buy the PS3 then? Or an Xbox or a Wii? Take Halo and Gears away and the 360 is seen as what it is, a cheap poor mans PlayStation with an overrated premium online service. Since COD sells more on the Xbox what reason would a person have to buy the PS3? Since Live is supposedly better than PSN why buy a PS3? Didn't watch the video, but I already know an idiot made it. Exclusives is the only reason why Nintendo is still around.
    genocidecutter
  • focusfocus The #1 Nigga, I Don't Need No Hype. Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    Only for Nintendo. They are the only company who can prosper entirely from their own 1st party software. Then M$ to a lesser exist. Both companies create unique, exclusive 1st party experiences that you cant get anywhere else. There are no other Marios, or Zeldas. There are no other Halos or Left 4 Deads or Gears equivalents. They are the only games of their kind that operate at that level of quality. So these game sell like crazy which in turn moves consoles.

Sony's exclusives dont matter. They have two kinds of exclusive experiences. 1. Games that a third party can make just as well if not better. Example: sure, a person may want to play Uncharted...but they'll be fine with Tomb Raider. Or, yea...God of War looks kinda cool, but im good with DmC or Bayonetta, etc. Of course there are exceptions, like Journey, but generally this is not the case. Sony would be an amazing third party developer, but they are not built for this 1st party, "system seller" shit like The Big N and M$ are. Then the second kind are just the straight up rip offs like LittleBigPlanet karting, Playstation All-Stars, etc. And of course, nobody wants a subpar version of something else. Add ecosystems to the mix, i'm talking XBOX Live, MiiVerse and, you know...actual real life people (including females), and these console exclusives become not only the games you want to play, but the games all your friends are playing too, so you stick with that system. PlayStations owners dont have that.
  • The RecipeThe Recipe Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    I had a 360 first then bought the PS3 for a few exclusive game titles, then it became my main console.

I wouldn't say one is better than the other because the do the same shit.
    Mad Jack wrote: »
    How can they fail to sell consoles when the PS3 has outsold the 360 at a higher price? Why else would anyone buy the PS3 then? Or an Xbox or a Wii? Take Halo and Gears away and the 360 is seen as what it is, a cheap poor mans PlayStation with an overrated premium online service. Since COD sells more on the Xbox what reason would a person have to buy the PS3? Since Live is supposedly better than PSN why buy a PS3? Didn't watch the video, but I already know an idiot made it. Exclusives is the only reason why Nintendo is still around.

Xbox live is not overrated.
    genocidecutterthemadlionsfan
  • genocidecuttergenocidecutter Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    Yes they do. I need something else to play besides Gears of War and Halo
    Yes they. I need something else to play besides Gears of War and Halo

Go and play your gay Japanese fantasy games then.