Wild Selfsapp08_2001RawAce32DaysOfInfiniti
  • Gen. StasiaGen. Stasia Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭✭✭
    _Menace_ wrote: »
    hot beats,catchy hook,and mediocre lyrics

To who?

Mostly the mainstream.....

but Kendrick Lamar changed that imo

Or What appears to be the mainstream but forget about them. What about you?
    To me hip hop is several things..

1. Needle in the haystack; I use this analogy because the quality stuff is there, just you have to go look for it and support it, which I do (Shad, Common, Talib, etc.)
    2. Poisonous: I have said this in several threads, this is one of the most detrimental forces in our community. If you think about it Kanye and Jay, etc are some of the biggest coons around. Who owns hip-hop? Not blacks. Why are most of the messages so negative. I understand in the club no one wants to hear messages and that's fine. But it just seems in hip hop now nothing but destruction is ubiquitous.

This is real tho. The Streets (Meaning average people in our communitys) have stop influencing it and started being influenced by it smh.
    Mdizzle9000
  • ChicagoBearsChicagoBears Posts: 758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To me hip hop is several things..

1. Needle in the haystack; I use this analogy because the quality stuff is there, just you have to go look for it and support it, which I do (Shad, Common, Talib, etc.)
    2. Poisonous: I have said this in several threads, this is one of the most detrimental forces in our community. If you think about it Kanye and Jay, etc are some of the biggest coons around. Who owns hip-hop? Not blacks. Why are most of the messages so negative. I understand in the club no one wants to hear messages and that's fine. But it just seems in hip hop now nothing but destruction is ubiquitous.

This is real tho. The Streets (Meaning average people in our communitys) have stop influencing it and started being influenced by it smh.

That's it right there fam. I only view it as ENTERTAINMENT. I notice with a lot of blacks, we engage in this "rat race," to try to be like Jay or smash all the chicks in the world. Niggas are just so lost its sad.
  • NoCompetitionNoCompetition Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    Yall should of seen it during the "keep it real" years of the 90s. Or the earlier 2000s. Wanna talk about people thinkin rap was real? Check the historically low crime stats now vs the 90s. I was in teens and 20s in that era. It aint flawlwss now but overall its 1000 times better now as far as mentalities. Real sh!t. Check the stats crime is at like a 50 year low and teen pregnancies are lower, dropout rates, etc. It aint as bad asyall makin it out. Especially in most places.
    AggyAFWild Self
  • Rock_WellRock_Well Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    I went to a Jay Dee tribute and an old school Hip Hop party last night
    goldenja
  • 5th Letter5th Letter AKA 5th Element Posts: 27,982 Regulator
    I like the movement that is taking place in NY. Joey BadA$$, Fred Da Godson etc, I like what they're doing.
    [Deleted User]DMTxTHCsapp08_2001
  • P. TownP. Town Posts: 26,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Music. Stop being so damn difficult
    Peezy_Jenkinspurpngoldsapp08_2001CottonCitySlim
    ptowndonte wrote: »

To you. You can't say what something means to somebody else nor try to downplay it because u don't feel the same.
    nj2089
  • RahlowRahlow Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Simple Answer:

I don't know
    Gen. Stasia
  • ploccplocc Posts: 921 ✭✭✭✭
    Hip Hop: Talib, Absoul, Techn9ne,MF Doom.

Rap: Future, 2Chainz, Gucci Mane, Rozay, T.I..

Best examples I could think of right now.
    GSonIIalmighty breeze
  • P. TownP. Town Posts: 26,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

To you. You can't say what something means to somebody else nor try to downplay it because u don't feel the same.

It's music girl. All that Hip-Hop is my life shit is corny and played out. Listen to the damn music if you choose to and move on with your day.
    *~queenbee~*5th LetterGen. StasiaCottonCitySlim
  • DMTxTHCDMTxTHC Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hip-Hop/Rap was in 2013 was what it was in 2012..
  • Meta_ConsciousMeta_Conscious Hypocrite The BashmentPosts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would love for someone to provide empirical evidence that hip hop is a significant social influence... parents, teachers, peers...
    anyway, hip hop lives off the radar... its not on the radio... its not on tv...
    RawAce
  • antarticpantarticp Posts: 8,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

To who?

not yet we still got more futures and french montanas ... then we do kendricks and J Coles ... the day trap rappers talking about its hard out here for a pimp ... then you know the GAME HAS CHANGED officially ;)

• antarticpantarticp Posts: 8,618 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MY ANSWER .....a way to make money lol
  • Wild SelfWild Self Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

To who?

Every 10 years, there is a massive change/ shift in Hip Hop. 1983 brought Run DMC and LL Cool J. 1993 brought Snoop Dogg and Wu Tang. 2003 Brought 50 Cent and Lil Jon. Kendrick is going to guide Hip Hop this next decade. Especially when he is having crazy success (700k and selling more) while Chief Keef flopped and still can't reach Chris Brown's first week sales lol.

It's music girl. All that Hip-Hop is my life shit is corny and played out. Listen to the damn music if you choose to and move on with your day.

I repeat to YOU. See ur a fan which is understandable but i actually am a Rapper and like to Rap so to say that Hip Hop or Rap is just music would be stupid on my end being that i spend time, money and resources on something i have no emotional attachment to.
  • sapp08_2001sapp08_2001 #Sawse Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its the modern day minstrel show for most.