If you was a rapper, would you sell out??

PervisPervis Posts: 324 ✭✭✭
imagine that you're a rapper who just dropped a debut album. your shit got a lot of critical acclaim, but it really didn't sell well at all and most heads ignored it. What would your next move be?

Would you continue to focus on making art, knowing that you're never going to be a big artist and most of your albums will flop...

or would you go all out commercial and get as much money as you can, even though the quality of music will suffer and a lot of your albums will most likley be trash?

Replies

• BabaaaBabaaa Posts: 319 ✭✭✭✭
    I would not sell out if I could make a living out of shows/touring/ghostwriting etc...

• The RecipeThe Recipe Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    this_thread_again.jpg

INB4

"If skills sold, truth be told, I'd probably be, Lyrically Talib Kweli, Truthfully I wanna rhyme like Common Sense, But I did 5 mill' - I ain't been rhyming like Common since."

"What would you rather be underpaid or overrated?"

Monizzle14rip.dillaAlready Home_17CashmoneyDux
  • Snake GriffinSnake Griffin Posts: 234 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    In before "I dumbed down for my audience to double my dollars, they criticize me for it but they all yell holla"
    rip.dillanycdieselAlready Home_17CashmoneyDux
  • MasterALFrankMasterALFrank where is your control? Posts: 9,524 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd make any damn song I want
    sapp08_2001rip.dillaRawAce
  • P. TownP. Town Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Money >>>>

Cause the rest of that shit is all subjective and opinion anyway
    Fy_HunnitMzAlready Home_17
  • gnsgns It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say sell out.

But if you're an artist then your craft is personal to u...so I guess I'd do double albums one for my core and commercial for the craccas.

If labels ain't tryna hear that, then, a mixtape for my fans and a crossover album for the radio....see joe budden

In the end its about the moola, fuck niggaz they ain't loyal and fam gotta eat.
    Fy_HunnitMzRawAce
  • sapp08_2001sapp08_2001 #Sawse Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Id stay independent that's for sure. Make my dollars from shows, appearances and all dat. But as far as sellin out to become more famous? Nah.
    rip.dilla
  • WiseGuyyWiseGuyy Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd have to be on my Curren$y, stay independent and build my own fanbase. Touring like a Mutha too
    Fy_HunnitMzsapp08_2001rip.dillaMorganFreemanKingMR.CJCashmoneyDux
  • Lab BabyLab Baby Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Selling out/catering to a larger demographic is dead anyway. Word to Bubba Sparxxx, Soulja Boy, Chingy, Yung Joc, Mims, Mr. Jibbs, D4L, Franchise Boys, Yin Yang Twins... you get the picture.
  • MF_DoomervilleMF_Doomerville Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whatever route nas took. He's been eating off of hip hop for 20 years.
    Longevity >>>>>>

Ill take his L's too. He's had a great career.
    twatgettarip.dilla
  • 32DaysOfInfiniti32DaysOfInfiniti Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    If you are already getting critical acclaim, I say just keep doing what you are doing... Chances are you will stop getting the little praise and sales you are already getting if you were to switch your whole style and "sell-out"

For instance nobody praised Pitbull or Flo Rida before they sold out, so them changing didnt really hurt their credibility.
  • Monizzle14Monizzle14 Posts: 11,099 ✭✭✭✭✭
    can we lock this thread concept tho shits getting old as fuck
    sapp08_2001CashmoneyDux
  • scrapper1scrapper1 Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hell yeah.. muhfucka, i got bills..
  • RahlowRahlow Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I'd dance like Hammer and simp with singy-song tunes like Drake
  • choppa_stylechoppa_style Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭✭
    If I'm in signed to a label that's funding my project then yeah I'd water it down to recoup some sales.

If I was just making music for the hell of it no I would not.
  • twatgettatwatgetta Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We all would. Money changes everythang. Especially when you ain't the one cutting the damn check.
  • twatgettatwatgetta Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whatever route nas took. He's been eating off of hip hop for 20 years.
    Longevity >>>>>>

Ill take his L's too. He's had a great career.

Nas took the "I'm broke as fuck and been rapping since 1989, but at least I got my homies" route...

Not a good look overall. No Grammies, No Kelis, just that same cracked tooth hollerin " Queen's Bridge".. whatever.
    rip.dillaPK_TK_187MF_Doomerville
  • rip.dillarip.dilla Posts: 14,594 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ice_cold wrote: »
    I'd make any damn song I want

Cosign.

Personal creative control of an individual's artistry is so under-appreciated.

And stay independent.
  • WishboneJonesWishboneJones Infinity- 0 Posts: 21,080 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • RawAceRawAce Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess
    I dont see why you wanna be in the music business jus to do bad business.
    I would make what I felt.
    Im not gonna miss the chance to do a different type of song because fickle ass rap fans catch feelings.
    Rap fans change wit the weather.
    Pop music money is forever.
    Word to Flo-Rida
  • konceptjoneskonceptjones Posts: 9,090 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. Illmatic was critically acclaimed, yet it took nearly two years to go gold and well over 7 and a half years to go platinum.

I can live with that.
  • Monizzle14Monizzle14 Posts: 11,099 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Niggas act like no lie you can choose your own fate drive by the fork and the road and go straight on some jay z renegade shit.

"Well if i was a rapper i would be like nas" or "if i was a rapper fuck it ill be ignorant and make chief keef like music." but most rappers don't get to choose what they be once they make it the label does. and if you disagree go ahead and try to drop a album that gets noticed without label backing 9 times out of 10 that will fail even if your talented.

Niggas act like if they was a rapper (Even with talent or cool concepts) they can just easily be a nas or chief keef or whatever they desire. Its not that easy. That why the thread premise is in a sense pointless. If you was a rapper 95% of yall niggas wouldn't even make it far enough to flop.
    32DaysOfInfiniti
  • aneed123aneed123 Posts: 14,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it depends on ur definition of sell out.... making different music to help me make more money then yes I would, Id be a fool not to. now my attitude and not helping those I came up with and acting all uppity and forgetting where I came from is a no go
  • MF_DoomervilleMF_Doomerville Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    aneed123 wrote: »
    it depends on ur definition of sell out.... making different music to help me make more money then yes I would, Id be a fool not to. now my attitude and not helping those I came up with and acting all uppity and forgetting where I came from is a no go

Would you be nas or jay?