What's up everybody! Just a quick message. We will be relaunching AllHipHop.com with the goal of keeping the community front and center. I have worked with Jamal and select moderators, to make sure The Illl Community's needs are being addressed as we evolve. We are encouraging you to use the new platform.

We will NOT be closing the current community, but we will be porting user data over to the new system over time, so please get used to using the new community!

We will be working on it every single day until it's exactly what you want!

Please feel free to join now, test, as we are in beta:

https://www.allhiphop.com

Is post-beef Nas a better overall artist than pre-beef Nas?

sullysully Posts: 4,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
His career is basically split into two parts. Pre-Jay-Z beef (Illmatic, It Was Written, I Am..., Nastradamus, Lost Tapes, Stillmatic, God's Son) and post-Jay-Z beef (Streets Disciple, Hip Hop Is Dead, Untitled, Distant Relatives, Life Is Good).

(The reason I split it up like that is b/c he hasn't been warring like he was previously, and post-Streets Disciple, he's had a fairly consistent persona.)

Sure, Illmatic was the epitome of rap at the time it came out, and It Was Written was a damn good album too. But the downward spiral he took by trying to switch directions with I Am... and Nastradamus took a real toll on the perception of his artistic skills.

I think one could make a strong argument that Nas has been much more consistent in his quality of music and the message in his music since Streets Disciple. He's been getting a lot of love from everyone lately b/c of his music, but he hasn't been getting radioplay or attaining mass appeal like he did pre-Streets Disciple. But has the latter-half Nas been the better artistic Nas?
OGClarenceBoddickerFyHunnit

Replies