Raising the minimum wage to $9

7figz7figz Ig'nantPosts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2013 in For The Grown & Sexy
To all the IC economists out there...

Obama (in his SOTU) mentioned raising the minimum wage to $9 hr and since then, I've seen people on both sides of the argument making their point. Some working those minimum wage jobs and looking forward to a raise, while critics say more people would be fired, businesses wouldn't be able to afford it, or that everything else would go up in tandem (inflation).

What do you think ?

Raising the minimum wage to $9

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Replies

• 7figz7figz Ig'nant Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    To all the IC economists out there...

Obama (in his SOTU) mentioned raising the minimum wage to $9 hr and since then, I've seen people on both sides of the argument making their point. Some working those minimum wage jobs and looking forward to a raise, while critics say more people would be fired, businesses wouldn't be able to afford it, or that everything else would go up in tandem (inflation).

What do you think ?
  • s_a_m_r_i_os_a_m_r_i_o Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    People are struggling with making more than $9 a hour. *shrugs*
  • JokerKingJokerKing Вони виявили, Ваш номер STATION в рамках цієї спільноти! Watching Jimmy Fallon With Barbara GordonPosts: 27,661 Regulator
    No, it would just raise the cost of living.
    $9 an hour ain't shit. Its the same shit as &7.50.
    GodNThaBuild'niron man1caddo man
  • twatgettatwatgetta Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭✭✭
    just $9 measley bucks? People won't even recoginize that shit in their checks. fuck Obama.
    Jabu_RuleilledoutFyHunnit
  • Ioniz3dSPIRITZIoniz3dSPIRITZ Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm no economist but wouldn't that keep employers from hiring more workers? It's like asking which is better. Fewer workers and higher pay or more workers and lower pay.
  • BoldChildBoldChild Born alone, die alone. Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The cost of living has already been rising, and continues to rise without the min wage increase.

I'd say yes, but businesses will simply respond slightly increase their cost just enough to not only make up for it, but profit from it as well. Smaller businesses wont be able to pull this off though.

If the larger businesses didn't increase the cost of their goods/services to make up for the cost, it would probably be fine, but that never happens.

But they do need to figure something out when it comes to handling the increasing weath gap. I mean, you can ignore it if you want, but percentage wise, middle/low middle class are making less and less by the year, eventually it's going to reach a breaking point, maybe not in our life, or maybe in the next few years, but it will.

So I'm going to say no, they need to fix the real problem, whatever that is, I have know idea, because it isn't my job.
  • No, it would just raise the cost of living.
    What about those that make slightly more than minimum wage?
    I feel sorry for those who are currently making $9 an hour
  • sullysully Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only $9/hour in the US?

Damn....it's like $10.25 here in Ontario.
    illedoutNoCanadiansEH?Wild Self
    I just left Taco Bell!

Them dumb incompetent people do not deserve a raise.

Customer service is at an all time low in the world.
    So ILLBarryHalls
  • s_a_m_r_i_os_a_m_r_i_o Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They can raise your pay but give your less hours to where you'll actually be making less than what you used to.
    So ILLBarryHalls5th Letter
  • WhoisDonG???WhoisDonG??? Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it would help.
    Man I say yes niggas out here hurting. In Illinois they talking about raising it to 10!!!
  • gem$tonegem$tone Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it would help.
    I actually believe every time Congress gives itself a raise everyone else should receive one also.
    gh0stWhoisDonG???illedouta.mann
    History generally dictates cost of living raises follow minimum wages raises.
  • fuc_i_look_likefuc_i_look_like Posts: 8,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    San Francisco apparently just raised theirs to 10.24.
    Its crazy to think that just a few years ago min wage was only like 5/hour! Smdh
    So ILL
  • goldenjagoldenja Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    no, it would raise the cost of living...... aint no one got time for that.
    Did it work?
    bubbaclot wrote: »
    Did it work?

shit idk. Just saw it on the news
  • tha bausetha bause Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it gets raised to $9 then I want a pay bump to keep the $8 gap I had before it was raised
    MorganFreemanKingbubbaclotRealtalk87
  • BoldChildBoldChild Born alone, die alone. Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The reason they're talking about raising it in the first place is because cost of living has been going up anyway.
    Instead, they need to talk about increasing food production and logistics efficiency, and also work on land management/cheaper housing in order to bring the overall cost of living down.

land management = start building smaller homes, on smaller land spaces and offer them at a lower price.
    sully
    AZTG wrote: »
    Cost of living is already rising, when minimum wage gets increased its usually because the cost of living is already so high the people making minimum wage can't survive.

And its a cycle, its not just minimum wage that increases, if minimum wage was $8 and an employer paid you $9 and was a $1 above minimum, then once minimum wage becomes $9 that employer will start offering $10 an hour to still be $1 over minimum wage and so, almost everyone will somehow see a $1 raise in some way.

Its necessary because due to inflation everything has went up in the past few years except wages, and now for people to get by wages must also increase

So basically the poverty line is raised.