Bay Area rapper, Saafir, now in a wheelchair and addicted to molly's

sullysully Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭✭✭
Bay Area rapper Saafir affirmed his place in the Hip-Hop elite back in the 1990s after taking on Oakland-based rap crew the Hieroglyphics in a freestyle battle. Now, the Saucee Nomad is currently bound to a wheelchair after suffering severe spinal damage exacerbated by his addiction to the drug ecstasy, allegedly.

Media veteran Davey D published a blog posting from Shock G of Digital Underground, who explains in a timeline how Saafir went from a muscle bound rap titan to his current frail state between the years of 1992 to the present. The blog made its rounds on the Internets, depicting the physical fall of one of rap's brightest and most ferocious lyricists.

Excerpts of Shock G's email below:
1992: Survived TWA plane crash at JFK scheduled for Frisco. Engine blew during take-off, skidded-out sidewayz off the runway, came to a stop, and after a few seconds, burst into flames.

Saafir was the first one off, but he jumped before the slide fully inflated and wound up jolting his lower back as his feet hit the ground beneath the thin material.

1994 to 1999: He popped hella ecstasy without drinking the required water to protect the spine from dehydration.
Shock G then explained that an alternative health practitioner temporarily healed Saafir of his back pain while traveling as part of the Up In Smoke Tour in 2000. After touring for six years, his back pain returned and the rapper had a spinal operation in 2007. Shock G then details how Saafir has resorted to peddling his pain meds because of a lack of revenue in the music business.

Now said to be living in squalor and feasting on nothing but takeout meals, Saafir is paralyzed from the hip down. A failed operation attempt in Arizona dampened the “Battle Drill” rapper's spirits and Shock G's email didn't offer anything resembling a happy ending.
209murdamikeilledoutB_AHarlemThumzUpRanxxbossdon201

Replies

• mc317mc317 Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • harry knucklezharry knucklez Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    First Tim Dog dies, now its this shit about Saafir. I'm really worried about our legends...
  • KaiKai evil nerd bitch from hell Posts: 21,198 Regulator
  • aladdin1978aladdin1978 Poo Poo Jenkins West coastin'Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whoa.....remember when this dude bodied casual on his own cd?
    Disciplined InSightYoung Stefillestni99ainne
  • _Menace__Menace_ The Don West.Side.CaliforniaPosts: 23,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Lou_CypherLou_Cypher One Cold Ass Honkey It's Cold, AlaskaPosts: 24,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kai_valya wrote: »
    ecstasy is addictive now?

Lmao exactly i aint never heard of no one addicted to extasy.
    (Nope)Young StefYo_Killa!
  • $ineedmoney$$ineedmoney$ The bushes is watchin'... Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YapatnaJB wrote: »
    That's the nigga played cousin Harold in Menace right?

Yup. And he ran with Digital Underground and Pac heavy in the early 90's.
  • Disciplined InSightDisciplined InSight The Clairvoyant One.... Posts: 12,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes..

Wow...this is a very sad situation. Saafir had an unique, but unorthodox style.

Anyone remember this career highlight?
    Lou_CypherYapatnaJBBarryHalls
  • grumpy_new_yorkergrumpy_new_yorker Reppin' The 631 Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Lou_CypherLou_Cypher One Cold Ass Honkey It's Cold, AlaskaPosts: 24,545 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes..

Wow...this is a very sad situation. Saafir had an unique, but unorthodox style.

Anyone remember this career highlight?

I would have loved to be there for that battle. I heard they all had legitimate beef and decided to squash it with a battle. Shits fucking dope.
    Lincoln
  • waterproofwaterproof Conqueror of Self On The Road to ZionPosts: 8,967 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    Before Nas it was Saafir who dont kill soloist but only kill Squads who went up against the whole Heiroglyphic crew for dolo on the legendary Hobo vs Heiro Battle on KMEL, Saafir the Central Valley Boy from Fresno (what up to all my fam in the 209, 559) who moved to Oakland became one of the greatest emcee in Bay Area.

This shit really broke my heart, Shock G dropped some info to Davey D about Saafir and the shit is sad, Prayers go out to the Warrior Saafir........

Shock G of Digital Underground Explains Why Saafir is Bound to a Wheelchair
    shocksaafir1.jpg?w=225&h=300

Last year, a close friend asked me “Why is Saafir in a wheelchair?” and with a sigh, all I could muster was “It’s complicated” because it really is. Months later, he asked me a 3rd time, so I shot him this email below:

Saafir’s sitch is the gradual result of a series of events..

Here’s a ruff timeline:

1992:

Survived TWA plane crash at JFK scheduled for Frisco. Engine blew during take-off, skidded-out sidewayz off the runway, came to a stop, and after a few seconds, burst into flames:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TWA_Flight_843

Saafir was the first one off, but he jumped before the slide fully inflated and wound up jolting his lower back as his feet hit the ground beneath the thin material. It was a Boeing DC-10, so it was hella high-up (..like jumping from a 3rd floor apt balcony).

Afterwards he refused hospital assistance (“I’m aight”) ..in a hurry ta catch the next plane back to the bay.

saafir_boxcar_sessions_front.jpg

1994:

At a d.u. photo shoot in Jack London Square (oakland) for Rappages mag, showing-out for the writer & photographer, he jumped onto the metal steps of a moving train that was goin faster than he anticipated. So when he jumped back off 2 blocks further, he hit the street with a snap, causing him to run violently faster than humanly possible for the first few steps to keep from scrubbing on camera, ha. He pulled it off, but it looked craaazy, and for the rest of that day he kept holdin his lower back and whispering ”Damn, I think I fucked my back off again blood”.

1994 thru 1999:

He popped hella ecstasy without drinking the required water to protect the spine from dehydration.

saafir.jpg

2000:

While on Up in Smoke Tour w/Xzibit, horseplayin around backstage he hurt it again while kickboxin wit da homies. He could barely stand up from the pain. So Nzazi Muhammed (Digital Underground’s fitness & witch doctor) came & met him backstage, gave’m acupuncture & some massage therapy which immediately got him movin around again. This became one of Saafir’s classic stories, how Z made him lay on the concrete and had him screamin in pain right in front of Dr.Dre, Ras Kass and everyone while he worked on him, and how he jumped up afterwards in disbelief, and with a huge teary-eyed smile told Z, “Damn blood, u really fixed my back!! For the first time in 5-years the pain is gone!! Wow man, thanku man, thanku!!!”

2000 to 06:

Does two more Up in Smoke tours w/Xibit.

Back pain gradually returns & increases over the years, resulting in several doc visits & consultations.

2007:

His first spinal operation for “cartilage deterioration” and “nerve damage” on a few specific vertebrae. Afterwards, against doctors’ advice to “take it easy and stay off your feet while you heal”, he continued to do shows & hustle in the street.

07 thru 09:

Music biz real slow, so to pay his rent he starts grindin his prescription back-pain meds (oxys & roxys, high $treet demand) while he breathes thru the pain “like a soldier”.

Meanwhile, in addition to back pain, his right leg gradually begins to go numb from the toes upward, until he has to walk (and perform) with a cane:

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/692513/freestyle-101-saafir

tumblr_ludkss6ymI1r01s07o1_1280.jpg

Early 2011:

Numbness reaches his knee on right leg, left leg first signs of numbness in the foot. After several doc visits & diagnosis’s, still no solid explanation or solution. “Scar tissue around his lower spine is swelling and pressing against the nerves that control the legs” is the general assessment.

Late 2011:

Can’t walk at all on his own anymore, begins using a wheelchair. Loses his own place, and hasta move in with an ex-gf who he doesn’t get along with but was the only place he could go. They barely get along, the scene is usually tense. Meanwhile, his X & molly abuse continues, and without ever drinking water (their nightly ritual is to x-out before they fuck and crash-out). He continues to ride-out the pain (“Blood, I’ma soldier”) while flippin his pain meds for cash.

Also worth a mention, and since ever, Saafir is a sugar junkie (skittles & soda), only eats junk food, and has been chaining Newports since the early 90s. He recently told me he hasn’t eaten a vegetable in over 10 years, and most of his meals come from either the Arco Mini-market, 7-Eleven, or the Wendy’s nearby their deep-east oakland apartment.

Feb 2012:

He reveals to Money-B his sitch, which spreads thru the crew & shocks all of us. None of us had any idea, and we’re all hurt & pissed that he waited this long before he told anybody.

March 2012:

I go visit him, our first in-person meeting in over 10-years. His apartment is small, dark, cluttered & filthy. Cig butts fill every ashtray, empty soda bottles & fast-food cups everywhere. When our eyes met, it took all my strength to push down the urge to cry, and we met w/big smiles & hugs. But later when I was alone, I had ta pull the car over and dump tears for 10-minutes straight.

By now paralyzation had reached his hips, no feeling in either leg, can’t wiggle a toe or flex any leg muscles. It took us 2-hours to dress him and get him into the car, and then another 2 to get him situated in bed after our food & pharmacist run.

After the visit, I jump onboard full throttle in search of anyone who can help, any medical solution..

427520.jpg

April 2012:

shock & Saafir

We zero in on the Laser Spine Institution in Scottsdale Arizona who propose a procedure with a 90% success rate. After reviewing his med records, requesting several new MRIs, and a slew of financial form clearances, they accept his case. We negotiate the appointment for late May, and began the surgery-prep processes at home.

May 26, 2012

I fly out with him as caretaker.

On day 2 of the 7-day process, after many tests, they apologetically announce they can’t help his situation. “Our type of procedure can’t treat his type of injury” was their only explanation, “We’re extremely sorry you traveled this far..” and they reimbursed us 15k of the 20 we spent to make it happen.

tumblr_mi475vpbjd1qcl8foo1_1280.jpg

June 2, 2012

Saafir returned to his gloomy home situation in oakland devastated, exhausted & defeated. All of our hope was in that trip to AZ.

2012 to present:

Still searching for a doctor or a procedure that can help.

Still living off skittles, soda, chips and 7-Eleven burritos.

Still chain-smokin Newports

Still got them roxys fo’ya!
    Trillfateillestni99ainneYoung Stef
  • ROZAYTABERNACLEROZAYTABERNACLE Posts: 16,783 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone already posted this, without the pics I think though.
  • Disciplined InSightDisciplined InSight The Clairvoyant One.... Posts: 12,895 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Already posted, but your thread is more detailed with a timeline as to what really happened.

Still fucked up. The Hiero v. Hobo Junction battle is still a major highlight in Saafir's career, not to mention to almost being part of The Golden State Warriors with Xzibit and Ras Kass (in which Dr. Dre was supposedly gonna co-sign, but didn't happen.)
    waterproofBarryHallsillestni99ainne
  • sullysully Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    not to mention to almost being part of The Golden State Warriors with Xzibit and Ras Kass (in which Dr. Dre was supposedly gonna co-sign, but didn't happen.)

Yeah...that Golden State crew could've been real tough. They had a couple joints on some of those DJ Vlad and DJ Green Lantern mixtapes from the early-to-mid 2000's.

But now Xzibit's peddling crack to the babies, Ras Kass is searching payphones for quarters hoping 40 Glocc will feature him on his next album, and Saafir is on Stephen Hawking-status b/c he'd rather ride-or-die for Dasani than drink an Aquafina.

THE BAY AREA in the 90's was bubbling out of control, the bay area made an impact in hip-hop starting in 1985 WITH 2SHORT.....HOLD UP, I'M SAVING THIS SHIT FOR MY BAY AREA 1985-1996 hip-hop thread, coming soon...

But back to the one of hip-hop greatest live battle on air, back when KMEL was the home of the bay area hip-hop, THE WORLD FAMOUS WAKE UP SHOW started in the BAY AREA on KMEL, BAY SHIT HOMIE........

but here you go the famous battle of the hobo junction crew vs heiroglyphics (and SAAFIR went dolo and crushed Casual and tajai, i mean they came sick and all but the SAUCEE NOMAD was to much)

Hieroglyphics Vs. Hobo Junction HD High Quality

In 1994, Saafir made a brilliant guest appearance on Casual's debut album Fear Itself. Saafir wanted Casual to return the favor on his own debut, Boxcar Sessions, but for whatever reason Casual didn't show up. Saafir took it personally, and soon his crew, the Hobo Junction, was beefing with Casual's Hieroglyphics crew. They agreed to settle it in a battle broadcast on Sway and Tech's Wake Up Show. There was dispute about whether Saafir was using written rhymes, and whether he had warned he would do so beforehand. But when you hear him open his first verse "Did your momma tell you that you was my son," sounding "like he could swallow the fucking planet" (as Cocaine Blunts described him), it doesn't really seem to matter.

The entire battle is long (over 45 minutes) but there's stuff worth hearing throughout. Click the second link if you just want to hear the opening few salvoes from Casual and Saafir, before their soldiers get involved.
    Disciplined InSightBarryHallsVulcanRavenYoung Stef
    edited February 2013
    sully wrote: »
    not to mention to almost being part of The Golden State Warriors with Xzibit and Ras Kass (in which Dr. Dre was supposedly gonna co-sign, but didn't happen.)

Yeah...that Golden State crew could've been real tough. They had a couple joints on some of those DJ Vlad and DJ Green Lantern mixtapes from the early-to-mid 2000's.

But now Xzibit's peddling crack to the babies, Ras Kass is searching payphones for quarters hoping 40 Glocc will feature him on his next album, and Saafir is on Stephen Hawking-status b/c he'd rather ride-or-die for Dasani than drink an Aquafina.

man THE GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS/PROJECT was a tough ass crew, i was waiting for them to drop on X's Open Bar Label ever since 40 Dayz N 40 Nightz i was waiting for those cats to drop, X fucked up with them and did the same shit with Strong Arm Steady

Xzibit feat. Ras Kass and Saafir - 3 Card Molly

Xzibit - Harder ft. Ras Kass, Saafir (Golden State Warriors)

alright i am bout to out myself with my username for the last 7-8 years i always been asked about my username WATERPROOF and why i call myself THE AQUA @earth2superman was the only one who ever got it right but i never said shit... since we on this GOLDEN STATE PROJECT/WARRIOR, back in the days i used to emcee, i was EMCEE one of those real lyrical West Coast brothers with a gangsta twist to it, A gangsta who listen to raw underground hip-hop and west coast gangsta shit.... One of those Good Life, Freestyle Fellowship types of lyrical emcee

And one of my favorite battle emcee's was KURUPT and Ras Kass back in his western hemisphere days with Vodoo and Bird, So as you know Ras Kass called himself the Waterproof EMCEE aka AQUA , so that's where i got my usernmane from and when i used to battle i used the name, for those who been asking be all these years
    KellmillLou_Cypherblack caesarYoung Stef
  • its....JOHN Bits....JOHN B Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear but reading through that, it sounds like he brought it upon himself..."laugh now cry later when you pop that pill"
    B_A
  • BackInWhiteBackInWhite Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭✭