Obama In Chicago Speaking About Gun Violence (Video in Link)

AggyAFAggyAF Ami stima hopi sankananin yah gyal's pumpumPosts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2013 in For The Grown & Sexy
President Obama has heard the public's cries over the lack of attention he's paid to the gun violence in Chicago and finally returned home Friday (Feb. 15). Speaking at the Hyde Park Academy, the commander in chief stood on the platform of stricter gun laws, and the banning of high magazine rifles, but pointed out that improving economic conditions within the community is also a top priority.

Referencing the shooting death of Hadiya Pendelton, the funeral of which was attended by First Lady Michelle Obama, the president said that guns aren't the only issues at hand. Violence can be a result of a person's environment. "This is not just a gun issue," he said, explaining that "If a child grows up with parents who have work and some education and can be role models," than the child will have "a foundation" for success; rather than going down the wrong path.

Not only addressing the mass shooting in Newtown, Conn., the POTUS noted that children are losing their lives at a rapid pace, stating that 65 youngsters were killed in Chicago last year. "That's the equivalent of a Newtown every four months," he said. "And that's precisely why the overwhelming majority of Americans are asking for some common sense proposals to make it harder for criminals to get their hands on a gun."

He also made mention of single-parent households as a contributing factor to children potentially making bad decisions. "Don't get me wrong, as the son of a single mom who gave everything she had to raise me with the help of my grandparents, you know, I turned out okay. At the same time, I wish I'd had a father who was around and involved."
For the last several weeks, the president has been trying to get Congress to move on legislation aimed at putting a dent in the cases of gun violence, but has been met with opposition.

Read more at http://hiphopwired.com/2013/02/15/president-obama-returns-to-chicago-addresses-gun-violence-video/#aJspv2oxUJWOKxib.99

P.S.

4 ppl shot in Chicago after Obama Speech

CEO of Ariel on Growing Up In SouthSide Chicago and Solving Gun Violence

Replies

• CopperCopper The WickPosts: 38,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NB4 the tavis smileys and cornell wests of this board
    NoirLouis Cipher
  • 1of11of1 Posts: 37,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • internationalinternational Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭✭✭
    President Obama has heard the public's cries over the lack of attention he's paid to the gun violence in Chicago and finally returned home Friday (Feb. 15). Speaking at the Hyde Park Academy, the commander in chief stood on the platform of stricter gun laws, and the banning of high magazine rifles, but pointed out that improving economic conditions within the community is also a top priority.

Referencing the shooting death of Hadiya Pendelton, the funeral of which was attended by First Lady Michelle Obama, the president said that guns aren't the only issues at hand. Violence can be a result of a person's environment. "This is not just a gun issue," he said, explaining that "If a child grows up with parents who have work and some education and can be role models," than the child will have "a foundation" for success; rather than going down the wrong path.

Not only addressing the mass shooting in Newtown, Conn., the POTUS noted that children are losing their lives at a rapid pace, stating that 65 youngsters were killed in Chicago last year. "That's the equivalent of a Newtown every four months," he said. "And that's precisely why the overwhelming majority of Americans are asking for some common sense proposals to make it harder for criminals to get their hands on a gun."

He also made mention of single-parent households as a contributing factor to children potentially making bad decisions. "Don't get me wrong, as the son of a single mom who gave everything she had to raise me with the help of my grandparents, you know, I turned out okay. At the same time, I wish I'd had a father who was around and involved."
    For the last several weeks, the president has been trying to get Congress to move on legislation aimed at putting a dent in the cases of gun violence, but has been met with opposition.

Read more at http://hiphopwired.com/2013/02/15/president-obama-returns-to-chicago-addresses-gun-violence-video/#aJspv2oxUJWOKxib.99

P.S.

4 ppl shot in Chicago after Obama Speech

CEO of Ariel on Growing Up In SouthSide Chicago and Solving Gun Violence

I see he went back finally, makes me question his real priorities, but better late than never i guess he has to address a few things, after all he is the president....
  • RawAceRawAce Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I thnk he did this jus to do it. Unless some type of action is happening, talks are pointless in the Chi.
    This was jus so armchair militants can't say he never addressed it.
  • playmaker88playmaker88 You over did it holmes, you in the danger zone, you shouldn't be alone Posts: 50,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chicago gang members and other criminals wept put down their arms.. niggas have seen the light There is no longer gun violence in the Chi.. well never cry for our sons and daughters again.. -local Chicago'n

Obama did it.........
    Louis Cipher
  • edwardnigmaedwardnigma Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • edwardnigmaedwardnigma Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fuck! Sorry bout that.

About the speech.in Chicago....

The man did his job, its not up to him to stop it, he cant stop it, but he did need to address it.

The people have to play the biggest part. So with that being said hes done what he had to do.He went there he gave sincere thoughts on what he thinks the problem is and how to address it.

Truth be told Farrakahn been saying the same thing for years and more.

Its up to the common man the me's and you's of the world.

Bottomline.

Louis CipherBlaqueHoney01ceothachosen1
  • Ajackson17Ajackson17 God King Posts: 16,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm.....It will never work, the good folks need to be helped and removed and all the fake thugs and thugs and real thugs need to live in that city with no way out.
  • hautehaute Posts: 11,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    didnt someone die of a gun shot wound after leaving this speech

If it wasn't for the dining scene

I would put chi on Detroit status

Shit makes NO sense
  • UnderMiSensiUnderMiSensi Posts: 876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Obama is talking about gun violence in a city where they have the strictest gun laws, yet they have high rates of gun violence. How Ironic
  • AggyAFAggyAF Ami stima hopi sankanan in yah gyal's pumpumPosts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • cobblandcobbland Hangin' With The Homeboys (1991) Chicago...Posts: 3,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm 100% certain that the people who were advocating for President Obama to address the violence issue in Chicago, knew the violence wasn't going to simultaneously stop once he finished delivering his speech.

Their concerns had more to do with him taking the time out to address issues like this (gay marriage, anti-gay bullying):

And this (immigration reform):

So why is it a stretch to ask him to address violence plaguing a city, where his campaign was headquartered?

cobbland wrote: »

So why is it a stretch to ask him to address violence plaguing a city, where his campaign was headquartered?

its not unique to Chicago and doing so doesn't help him politically
  • cobblandcobbland Hangin' With The Homeboys (1991) Chicago...Posts: 3,693 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who said it was?

And he could have easily turned down the invite and issued a statement through his press secretary.

Who said it was?

And he could have easily turned down the invite and issued a statement through his press secretary.

no one but according to some people Obama was the devil for not addressing this particular city. they are strangely absent from this thread tho.........
  • NIKE...NIKE... Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The speech was "invite only" and it was just a front for his punk ass gun control initiatives..he's the zapp branigan of politics..nigga fuumbles his way around policy and still comes out as some type of hero..fuck that b
  • I envision people on the outside of The Chi looking at us fascinated, like we all fuckin wolves. When that ain't even how it's going down our here .
  • StoneColdMikeyStoneColdMikey I am what the people need. MIKEYFORMOD CHITOWN THE BEST TOWNPosts: 22,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    damn b i made the thread talking about he was coming and I forgot all about this.
    1of1
  • haute wrote: »
    didnt someone die of a gun shot wound after leaving this speech

If it wasn't for the dining scene

I would put chi on Detroit status

Shit makes NO sense

Nah , we far from Detroit status, and that ain't me shittin on The D.