Staying in the Hood.

CoonKillaThirdCoonKillaThird Posts: 3,356
edited February 2013 in For The Grown & Sexy
Why do good upstanding black families still raise their children in the "hood"? In Chicago there have been a number of teenagers murdered this year where when you see their parents it just doesn't add up. If there are two parents in the household and you both have decent jobs why not move somewhere safe? Why put your kids in harms way if you don't have to. I don't see it.

Replies

• 700700 Posts: 8,016
    my grandparents been stayin in the hood for 40 years

they could have moved to a better neighborhood but they said fuck it and just added on to the house they already have

my dad bought a house down the street from them bout ten years ago

sometimes the hood is home, my grandaddy grew up out there, my dad and his siblings grew up out there, and me and my siblings did too

its not bad tho
  • 700700 Posts: 8,016
    Could be a few things: People could feel they have roots where they live, or if they keep to themselves the violence won't spill over to them directly (which is true for the most part).

Some have the mentality that they refuse to be scared of their own people, and want to stay to make a difference. Lots of reasons really, not always misplaced affection for "the hood"

i will c/s this
  • MrSoutCityMrSoutCity Posts: 2,245
    It ain't always as bad as it seems. Living in the hood and hearing about whats going on in the hood is apples and oranges.
  • Economic factors. Especially in this economy a lotta people are beyond stuck.
  • twatgettatwatgetta Posts: 5,858
    @lord_infamous Refuse to leave while family members continue to die behind bullshit?. comes a time when enough is enough..
    @ms.jones smart money says cut your losses while there' still some value. Some people are just creatures of habitat
  • I don't know but "most" black folks have hard time establishing credit..due to it being messed up by their previous family mIembers or just have alot of debt and getting a house in a good area with bad credit is a hard thing to do.....this could have play in them stayin in the hood...

I know here...it's just being connected amongst family members and friends...yea sound cray..but alot folks look at it as why move somewhere (a white neighborhood) and we're going to catch it from them..most folks that live in the hood can't stand white folks or even uppity blacks lol...we'll just stay here...IDK...I asked my grandmother and my bro..he just moved there a question similar too this...stayed in the N.O. 7th Ward (treme) and she said that pretty much what I stated..it's just home to them I guess..and they've seen their share of violence there...

See it's the hood to "outsiders" folks who see it from the outside view..it's scary..bad or whatnot....but it's family and friends to folks who stay in those areas..the norm just as living in any other area....and you get a sense of that when you spend enough time in the area and you adpat.....

I can understand having bad credit, but that can be fixed. What I can't understand is putting your kids at risk and forcing them to live in a volatile environment so you can feel comfortable. A parents first priority should be their childs safety.... It just seems kind of selfish to me.

• ms.jonesms.jones Posts: 5,495
    twatgetta wrote: »
    @ms.jones smart money says cut your losses while there' still some value. Some people are just creatures of habitat

Consider the fact that most people wouldn't want to take that kind of hit on their credit. We are no longer in a buyer's market, so short selling would be considered a wash, walking away isn't a bright idea, and allowing the home to become a rental is a crapshoot.

Those are some of the things that just can't be ignored. And no matter where you choose to move to, crime will be there. The chances will lessen to some degree, however, there is no hiding from it.
  • Could be a few things: People could feel they have roots where they live, or if they keep to themselves the violence won't spill over to them directly (which is true for the most part).

Some have the mentality that they refuse to be scared of their own people, and want to stay to make a difference. Lots of reasons really, not always misplaced affection for "the hood"

I hear you ... but if any of those "reasons" come before the well-being and betterment of your child then your priorities are not in order.
  • i don't know any black two parent homes w/ good jobs that stay in the hood
  • twatgetta wrote: »
    @lord_infamous Refuse to leave while family members continue to die behind bullshit?. comes a time when enough is enough..

Point was, im not making excuses or glorifying their reasoning. But I could see their reasoning no matter how i personally felt.

Of course if loved ones are getting murked left and right, it is time to reconsider. But i would put fair money that no matter how bad things get, the majority of families in the hood won't have death after death.
  • damobb2deepdamobb2deep Posts: 12,853
    every city and every hood has different rules...

as long as u kno the rules 2 yo hood you should be good imo
    @msjones I disagree. EVERYWHERE is not crime riddled. Only the places where crime is encouraged. people have resources to get out and make a change. no sense sitting on a declining value when fools that love crime live around you. .
  • MeTaLMeTaL Posts: 2,412
    It could be a lot of reasons, one would be that many are too frightened to move because of the unknown...unknown to them is fill with fear. Others see no matter where they go, their always going to be crime..that they can't escape from. Others see it as just simply home to them..that they eventually start adapting to their environment.
    Decent jobs....I do.
  • TonyDubbzTonyDubbz Posts: 6,721
    edited February 2013
    Fuck the hood. Yeah, I came from it and still got family there, but damn that. There comes a point in time where you have to recognize that there's no point in trying to raise a family there if you're financially able to leave. There comes a time when you should want better for yourself and your family and that's when you find better.

Thats true. I find myself wanting to leave the hood all the time cause I know its a big ass world we livin in & this just one small part but at the same time I aint gonna be one of those people that leave and forget where I came from cause the environment I grew up in made me who I am today.

Plus some people just comfortable in the hood.. as long as you know your surroundings you good. I can go anywhere in my hood and kick it, its going into other hoods trying to kick it where the trouble come in. Niggas will start shit with you based just off who you cool with.
    @lord_Infamous just ask Baby. He lost a sister and a brother to brutal murders, another brother in priskon for life for Murder. and some say even he put a few heads down back in the day.(though noboby can prove it). Violence is a toxic virus. It can wreck a family...and has
  • MeTaLMeTaL Posts: 2,412
    edited February 2013
    @msjones I disagree. EVERYWHERE is not crime riddled. Only the places where crime is encouraged. people have resources to get out and make a change. no sense sitting on a declining value when fools that love crime live around you. .

@ the bold.. Here the thing though.. No matter where you go.. you can never really escape the bullshit.. Can't hide from it.. that's a fact. That's reality.. crime is going to be everywhere.. Even in upscale neighborhoods..
    Decent jobs....I do.

define "decent". i guess my circle is mostly immigrant families so they don't any problem with moving to a better place to live
  • ms.jonesms.jones Posts: 5,495

As stated, the chances of crime of occurring is considerable lower in some places, however, that does not mean it is crime free.

You are assuming that in this two parent household, money is flowing freely, when that may not be the case. The cost of living has gone up while living wages have by and large remained the same. I can't speak for their financial means, only make a statement to outward appearances which is, they may not be in a position to make that big of a move, or take that kind of hit to their credit.