Complex: Will You '90s Babies Shut Up and Admit Rap Was 100 Times Better in the '90s?

Comments

• Black_SamsonBlack_Samson Posts: 41,131
    edited February 2013
    cosign...

you young niggas man... it aint that we shitting on you... we pitying you... it's easy to see why we pity you when you aren't reliant on some type irradiated communications device, 24/7...

to see yall act like sheep... shit is sad yo...
    and the fucked up part about it, is yall will say that im outta touch with reality....

while doing your best to simulate augmented reality and deus ex machina...

you niggas aint transformers... yall go-bots...
  • Monizzle14Monizzle14 Posts: 10,433
    This debate is a 2 way street tho

"man these 90's baby's fucking up hip hop now"

no most wack niggas are in their 20's and 30's and were 80's babies the execs are def not 90's babies they are controlling whats on the radio and what drops

"man fuck the current fasion of hip hop"

don't act like some of the 90's and 80's was just as crazy and skinny jeaned as the current shit. And shit niggas wearing baggy jeans had them hanging from their knees that shit wack son lol.

"insert comment about every hot rapper in the 90's being dope"

false there were gimmick rappers and wack rappers in the 90's as well especally one hit wonder ass niggas

"man the current white people fucking up hip hop"

white people were fucking with hip hop since the 80's and many of these groupie ass niggas of wack rappers are black and have no sense of the soulful history of black musicians
  • JokerKingJokerKing Posts: 21,120
    andre_1024 wrote: »

Name em

Kendrick: GKMC
    Killer Mike & El-P: RAP Music
    Ab-Soul: Control System

Not sayin they're the 3 best albums ever made, but they're masterpieces imo..

I'll give you 2 out of 3
  • MrWiseMrWise Posts: 1,265
    record_store_481459.jpg

We went to music stores to get music.

Tapes rocked 'til tapes popped. CDs scratched and skipped. Richer sounding vinyl required constant attention or it warped like neglected children. And for all these headaches, a tangible music collection could also have your spot looking like an episode of Hoarders. Still, as these technologies went the way of the woolly mammoth, hip-hop lost something important: the music store.

Every community needs a place to gather, share information, and debate. Until the digital revolution, famed shops like Manhattan's Fat Beats, Brooklyn's Beat Street Records, L.A.'s VIP Records, and lesser-known but equally important local fixtures were musical Meccas where rap heads made weekly pilgrimages to cop new releases (when "first" actually meant something), be put up on artists, watch in-store performances, hop in freestyle ciphers, and kick it with people who shared their passion for boom-bap.

The Internet provides the simulacrum of the record shop experience now with social networks and music databases, but connecting (in the loosest sense of the word) to 100 million people in isolation via "likes," RTs, comments sections, and tag-driven links to other artist pages pales in comparison to looking someone in the eye and giving them a pound. Not to mention, it might get you catfished

I do miss hitting the spots with my Uncle to pick up vinyls. Boldest describes my room now from the records & Turntables & speakers he got me growing up. Started buying my own online recently tho. Right now I got about 6 Crates of Heat loll

2e233sw.jpg

Born in 91 btw, So for the most part I dont agree with Complex. Although the game has changed I rarely hear its better now from Anyone. Maybe 2000 babies loll
  • CoolJoeCoolJoe Posts: 5,996
    as a 90s baby, I have yet to hear my peers say today's music is better than what dropped in the 90s

but there's something to be said about enjoying what we have now, bcuz good music is still out there, than bitch about how it used to be

Could have just locked the thread after this.
    90's babies believe rap music was better back then, niggas just want the younger generation to condemn damn near every artist that comes out these days.

But I guess I respect the author for arguing a point that everyone would agree with................
  • KalecrunchKalecrunch Posts: 1,712
    I notice current rap media doesn'y pay homage to the past era. Like the 90'S Hip Hop media. Rap City did OldSkool Wendesdays. Djs had old skool sets with 80s rappets and the Source named Rakim as the GOAT MC even though he wasnt active. The phrase "relevency" wasnt in existence.
    Monizzle14 wrote: »
    cosign...

you young niggas man... it aint that we shitting on you... we pitying you... it's easy to see why we pity you when you aren't reliant on some type irradiated communications device, 24/7...

and the fucked up part about it, is yall will say that im outta touch with reality....

but don't act like adults aint getting fucked over by technology as well tho. shit is sad that grown as men and women just as crazy about being glued to their i phone or i pad every hour of the day. I be at church and grown ass adults be having their i pads to read scripture and shit is that really nessicary?

and part of the reason many of these kids is messed up is because 80's babies and 70's babies don't wanna raise their god damn kids they want the tv too. Father is being bitch niggas and abandoning thier kids. The reason im the 22 year old person i am today is cause i had a father and mom who raised me right. Most of these kids outchea don't have parents that actually raised them or their parents couldn't do their god damn job. like i said in my last post this shit is a 2 way street.

i can dig it...

not bad. not bad at all..
  • A1000MILESA1000MILES Posts: 13,295
    The idea that all music back then was better is just not true though...I love shit from the 90s, but thats a blanket statement...Was there more passion?...More raw storytelling?...More unpolished creative flavor?...Sure...Sometimes.

But older niggas need to stop actin like all the songs/traditions they grew up on were good and better than anything out now...There's a lotta things about the production and writing in rap today that show evolution and should be appreciated.

Aaaaand...Y'all niggas parents/older relatives hated yo fuck ass music just like you hate ours.
    Monizzle14 wrote: »
    cosign...

but don't act like adults aint getting fucked over by technology as well tho. shit is sad that grown as men and women just as crazy about being glued to their i phone or i pad every hour of the day. I be at church and grown ass adults be having their i pads to read scripture and shit is that really nessicary?

and part of the reason many of these kids is messed up is because 80's babies and 70's babies don't wanna raise their god damn kids they want the tv too. Father is being bitch niggas and abandoning thier kids. The reason im the 22 year old person i am today is cause i had a father and mom who raised me right. Most of these kids outchea don't have parents that actually raised them or their parents couldn't do their god damn job. like i said in my last post this shit is a 2 way street.

i can dig it...

not bad. not bad at all..

But i do get where your comin from because kids my age (born in the 90's) also do at times have it allot easier even when they poor

my fam moved me out the hood when i was little but i still go to church in the hood and know niggas who living in low income housing got better shit than me. They be having dope direct tv packages and the latest jordans and i phones but they be talking bout how its rough being black in the hood...the fuck? I know there is real struggle still but cot damn how you have all that but claimin you broke.

Likewise you got so many grandparents raising these children when the mother of the child outchea clubbing and actin wild. And honestly when these bitches get pregnant 2 and 3 times in 3 years sometimes im not shocked cause shit since they had a baby their parents been giving them more guap to raise the kid and pretty much 24 hour baby sitters. Im sorry but if i have a son or daughter im not gon be goin to the club every weekend and dropping them off at grandmas and shit.

• ocelotocelot Posts: 9,529
    So born in the 90s babies are 90s babies now?... If you're past 91 you're no longer generation Y... You're generation ME.
  • record_store_481459.jpg

We went to music stores to get music.

Tapes rocked 'til tapes popped. CDs scratched and skipped. Richer sounding vinyl required constant attention or it warped like neglected children. And for all these headaches, a tangible music collection could also have your spot looking like an episode of Hoarders. Still, as these technologies went the way of the woolly mammoth, hip-hop lost something important: the music store.

Every community needs a place to gather, share information, and debate. Until the digital revolution, famed shops like Manhattan's Fat Beats, Brooklyn's Beat Street Records, L.A.'s VIP Records, and lesser-known but equally important local fixtures were musical Meccas where rap heads made weekly pilgrimages to cop new releases (when "first" actually meant something), be put up on artists, watch in-store performances, hop in freestyle ciphers, and kick it with people who shared their passion for boom-bap.

The Internet provides the simulacrum of the record shop experience now with social networks and music databases, but connecting (in the loosest sense of the word) to 100 million people in isolation via "likes," RTs, comments sections, and tag-driven links to other artist pages pales in comparison to looking someone in the eye and giving them a pound. Not to mention, it might get you catfished

This is the truth. I remember the several hours of life I spent at Sam Goody, Warehouse, Record Town, etc...

Now the only places I know similar to this are Amoeba and Rasputin. Damn.
    I fucks with collecting CD's but amazon $2 or $3 Mp3's >>>>> buing a $15 cd at a store. Shit i got GKMC for $2 on amazon and a few other cd's for that price like Krits LFTUG.
  • Complex making articles about themselves again i see

Them muthafuckas love coddling and making excuses for wack trends and artists then dropping shit like this as if they arent partially to blame for co-signing and not policing anything as a publication with such attention toward it.
  • cosign...

Quoted for realness. Exactly my point as well.
  • Swiffness!Swiffness! Posts: 6,898
    Beats are better tho and anyone that think otherwise is kidding themselves
  • I guess Complex is trying to make up for all the BS lists...
  • 1. why is anybody taking complex seriously?
    2. all this "the 90's was better" talk sounds like my mom in the 80's when she said " that rap shit is only a fad they aint no gil scott herron"
    3. you oldheads need to let these young niggas do their thing
    optimistic wrote: »
    1. why is anybody taking complex seriously?
    2. all this "the 90's was better" talk sounds like my mom in the 80's when she said " that rap shit is only a fad they aint no gil scott herron"
    yeah... cause it's not like Japan hasn't done this already and it not have a negative impact on their kids, social ability, and ability to breed.

if we dont keep these niggas grounded in reality then our youth will be just as lost.

them japanese let their kids get lost in fantasy and now look... killing themselves over webcomics, animes, and video games... broadcasting suicides via the internet, all with dramatic ass suicide notes trying to rationalize their decisions, sent to people that dont give a shit.

only a matter of time till it starts happening here... oh wait... its already starting to spread... isnt it???

oops...
  • optimistic wrote: »
    yeah... cause it's not like Japan hasn't done this already and it not have a negative impact on their kids, social ability, and ability to breed.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^
    i'm not understanding how this relates to musical choices

if we dont keep these niggas grounded in reality then our youth will be just as lost.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^
    soooooo grounded in reality is 90's hip hop the same hip hop that had the kids running around acting like mobsters?
    them japanese let their kids get lost in fantasy and now look... killing themselves over webcomics, animes, and video games... broadcasting suicides via the internet, all with dramatic ass suicide notes trying to rationalize their decisions, sent to people that dont give a shit.
    ^^^^^^^^^
    once again i'm not understanding how this relates to musical choices
    only a matter of time till it starts happening here... oh wait... its already starting to spread... isnt it???

oops...

so i guess to sum it up your opinion is ..........listen to 90's hip hop and save the world ooooooookay
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^
    i'm not understanding how this relates to musical choices

^^^^^^^^^^^
    soooooo grounded in reality is 90's hip hop the same hip hop that had the kids running around acting like mobsters?
    ^^^^^^^^^
    once again i'm not understanding how this relates to musical choices

oops...

so i guess to sum it up your opinion is ..........listen to 90's hip hop and save the world ooooooookay

now youre trackin....
  • CirocObamaCirocObama Posts: 3,825
    edited February 2013
    "Now people can't wave their hands in the air because they're too busy Instagramming and Twitpic'in and Four-Squaring and branding themselves as a 21st century "party person in the place to be" instead of paying attention to the artist on the stage. The real question: is that their fault? Or the fault of technology? Or are today's MCs just not living up to Rakim's definition of the term: "Cause to me, MC means move the crowd."

Spot on.

I usually dislike these 90's discussions tho especially from people who were kids or never into rap at the time. Problem is they let the nostalgia factor blind them. You can see it even here. What i said about how artists like a 2pac, Biggie etc were viewed back then was real and honest shit yet people caught mad feelings because yall were kids who got caught up in that whole media aura after they died and now yall older with that idea of them being rap gods or some shit brainwashed in your heads.

The whole "90's was better" is such a internet trend. I agree with some, disagree with others. I just hate the fake talk and the delusional shit. Shit was not that different back in the day no matter what you guys think.

Yall saw the comment on that Ja Rule song "Mesmerize" or whatever it was, right? But niggas who really were old enough to remember how hip-hop felt about a song like that know the deal. Kids who grow up now will say the same dumb shit in 10 years.

Again, it's that nostalgia factor. People associate certain artists/songs/albums with a certain time in their life and the further they grow from that time the more they miss it and the more value they place on those artists/songs/albums.