Complex: Will You '90s Babies Shut Up and Admit Rap Was 100 Times Better in the '90s?

13»

Comments

• CirocObamaCirocObama Posts: 3,825
    edited February 2013
    See, comments like this are a real reality of that era. Not some internet trendy bullshit gone from generation to the next with a strong fake sense of reality.

Found this on the net..

"When I was growing up in the early 90's, and I had my westcoast tapes, my older cousins were talking about how wack Coolio and Domino were and how Rob Bass and Public Enemy shits on them. Every older generation thinks their music was better and somewhere between their time listening to music and now, someone or somewhere fucked it up. What's the difference between some of the shit that plays now and 2 Live Crew or Gucci Crew II (yes that was an 80's group with a hit song) or Tone-Loc. People act like everyone was digging Poor Righteous Teachers when they only had one hit and it was called Butt Naked Booty Bliss. MC Hammer and Vanilla Ice were the most popular artist while Public Enemy was dropping classics. Things ain't change, we only remember what we want to. You can't tell me I Got 5 On It was a great lyrical classic, or that the Luniz had any hits afterwards. Saying Hip-Hop is ruined is to deny people like Kendrick Lamar or J.Cole or Lupe don't exist. To say Kanye West ruined Hip-Hop is to act like College Dropout didn't exist and it's to ignore that for the last 10 years the hottest tracks have said produced by Kanye West. Nothing's change but the quality of the recordings."
  • Everybody had a lane and the fans supported. Thats why the 90's where better. And every type of rap was actually getting radio play.
  • 32DaysOfInfiniti32DaysOfInfiniti Posts: 3,193
    edited February 2013
    Everybody had a lane and the fans supported. Thats why the 90's where better. And every type of rap was actually getting radio play.

No, thats why people were more readily successful because people didnt have lanes and it forced the world to open up.

Now everybody is in a lane and if you get out of it people are going to blame you for the pile up

You are right about the support part though, nowadays though they know "the formula" or what "a hit" sounds like so they not taking chances. You can thank ya boy Dr. Dre for alot of that

13»