Jay-Z Signs to Warner/Chappell Music, Brings Roc Nation Along With Him

AggyAFAggyAF in the PPM ThreadPosts: 25,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
Yesterday Warner/Chappell Music, the publishing arm of Warner Music Group, announced deals with Jay-Z to administer the copyrights of both his own songs and those on the music publishing roster of his company, Roc Nation.

Warner/Chappell will immediately begin administering Jay-Z’s catalog stretching back to 2008; by the end of 2013, it will handle the bulk of his early career hits as well. The publisher will also now administer copyrights for Roc Nation’s stable of songwriters, including Philip Lawrence (co-writer of Bruno Mars’ “Grenade” and “Locked Out of Heaven”) and S1 (co-writer of Kanye West’s “Power” and Beyoncé’s “Best Thing I Never Had”).

Part of the reason that Jay-Z chose Warner/Chappell was his connection to publishing executive Jon Platt, who left EMI Music Publishing for Warner last year. The duo first worked together in 1996, the year Jay-Z released his debut album, Reasonable Doubt.

“The real meaning of success is being in the position to work with an individual you consider a friend,” Jay-Z said in a statement. “Jon Platt is such a person. He’s a man of extraordinary character as well as a remarkably talented executive with an ear for music and an eye for talent. It’s great to watch him grow to be one the best in the business.”

Added Platt: “I couldn’t be happier to continue my relationships with Jay and Roc Nation and build on our partnerships at Warner/Chappell. We have the global expertise and resources to deliver new opportunities for their amazing catalogs, while helping them reach new heights of success around the world.”

Platt became more familiar with Jay-Z’s songwriting skills at EMI, which was home to his copyrights until now. As I wrote in 2010, the rapper’s previous agreement had long been set to expire this year, giving him plenty of time to plot his next step.

But there’s another set of rights headed Jay-Z’s way quite soon. As I wrote in my book Empire State of Mind: How Jay-Z Went From Street Corner to Corner Office, the rapper negotiated the return of the master recordings to all the music he made while at Def Jam as part of an agreement to become president of the label in 2004.

The catch: he’d have to wait 10 years. Ironically, the opportunity to own his masters was what convinced him to take the Def Jam gig over a similar job at Warner Music Group. Now, his career has come full circle.

By the end of 2014, he’ll be in full control of both his master recordings and publishing rights—meaning that every time someone buys one of his albums, streams one of his hits online or licenses his song for a movie, he’ll get a considerably larger piece of the pie. Not bad for someone who already made $38 million last year.

For Warner/Chappell, Jay-Z’s deals might be part of an even bigger package. Rumor has it that Platt is in negotiations to bring Beyoncé’s publishing to Warner/Chappell as well.
rooster_cogburniron man1TheRicanKingsoul rattlerilledoutblackgod813StoneColdMikeyIceBergTaylorBender Rodriguezalmighty breezerip.dillablackraininfamous114

Replies

• WiseGuyyWiseGuyy Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $$$$$$$ <-- All Hov been seeing lately
    iron man1Chicity
  • lamontbdclamontbdc Posts: 16,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ok i guess
    Already Home_17buttuh_b
  • usmarin3usmarin3 Posts: 35,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Getting that quap, add on the fact Roc Nation is a indy company.
    illedout
  • 32DaysOfInfiniti32DaysOfInfiniti Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Warner! Oh shit, they do give the best deals lol
  • Already Home_17Already Home_17 Posts: 9,059 ✭✭✭✭✭
    eh, i guess that's cool
    texas409Chicity
  • manofmorehousemanofmorehouse Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    vslyke wrote: »
    And he's not the GOAT??? When you compare his rap skills, his wordplay, his ability to craft a story, his ability to seek out great beats, his ability to freestyle, battle rap,his longevity, and last but not least, the legacy he's leaving behind, there is no one challenging him for the throne. Niggas before and after him will be studying his blueprint for success

GOAT rap business man, sure. GOAT rapper, hell nah.

Who do you believe to be the GOAT then?
  • AggyAFAggyAF in the PPM ThreadPosts: 25,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man when this nigga new album droppin? That's all that matters I don't care about publishing deals

"every fourth quarter i like to michael jordan them"
    blackgod813IceBergTaylorStoneColdMikey
  • vslykevslyke Posts: 661 ✭✭✭✭
    And he's not the GOAT??? When you compare his rap skills, his wordplay, his ability to craft a story, his ability to seek out great beats, his ability to freestyle, battle rap,his longevity, and last but not least, the legacy he's leaving behind, there is no one challenging him for the throne. Niggas before and after him will be studying his blueprint for success

BIG.
    Mr.LV
  • Vader_F_KennedyVader_F_Kennedy anywhere visa is acceptedPosts: 13,607 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    gotta respect tha hustle
    #1hiphopjunki3Chicity
  • vslykevslyke Posts: 661 ✭✭✭✭
    usmarin3 wrote: »

BIG.

The known > the unkown

Jay and Nas > Big and Pac

Can't give Pac and Big the benefit of the doubt, for all we know them niggas would of fell off like Snoop, Wu,etc.

Nah, BIG's 2 albums >>>>>>> any Jay Z album. Plus how you gon take Jay who has to sprinkle his verses with Biggie bars over Biggie himself.
    manofmorehouseDMTxTHCFyHunnitAnd_So_It_Burnssoul rattlerilledoutStoneColdMikey2 Drawlznickel-us PCashmoneyDuxalmighty breezeinfamous114PK_TK_187
  • dalyricalbanditdalyricalbandit Co-Owner Of AllhipHop.com, Super Moderator, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 51,885 Regulator
    Jay new theme needs to be the Million dollar man theme
    And_So_It_BurnsStoneColdMikeyBender Rodriguez
  • usmarin3usmarin3 Posts: 35,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    usmarin3 wrote: »

BIG.

The known > the unkown

Jay and Nas > Big and Pac

Can't give Pac and Big the benefit of the doubt, for all we know them niggas would of fell off like Snoop, Wu,etc.

Nah, BIG's 2 albums >>>>>>> any Jay Z album. Plus how you gon take Jay who has to sprinkle his verses with Biggie bars over Biggie himself.

Lets compare Bigs first two albums to Jay first two.

Reasonable Doubt > Ready to Die (RTD did not age well at all)
    Life After Death > Vol 1

How many albums has Jay made (close to 15) plus the numerous guest verses. Out of all those verse i bet you lest than 5 percent are Biggie lines. Ya'll get so hyperbolic with that Biggie lines nonsense, like Jay doesn't have enough original material to stand on.

I'm sorry but i'm not giving dead rappers a boost or pass over niggas who have put in the work. Do you know how much the music business has changed since Pac and Big died, we don't know if they could of kept up with the changes.
    Meta_ConsciousvslykeohhhlaMr.LVrico_ENSmanofmorehouseKingFreemannickel-us PCashmoneyDuxeternal soldier
  • TheRicanKingTheRicanKing Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭
    Nas is doing fine with his career today in 2013 so that alone is something.

Yea the music buisiness has changed but I'm sure with how talented Pac and BIG were, they'd have no problem in this climate.

I'm actually positive rappers would step it up a notch.