White Nurses Only: Michigan Hospital Denies Allowing Swastika-Tattooed Man’s Request

Young_ChitlinYoung_Chitlin YCN Chief, FCC Member, IC Task Force GeneralASUville, PhoenixPosts: 13,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
By: Max Read

A veteran nurse is suing the Hurley Medical Center in Flint, Mich., over what she says was a request by a swastika-tattooed man that no African-American nurses care for his child—a request the hospital allowed.

The nurse, who is African-American, has accused Hurley of acquiescing to the man, whose newborn was in the NICU last fall:
The lawsuit claims the nurse's supervisor, the charge nurse, contacted a nurse manager who re-assigned the baby, later met with another supervisor to OK the father's request and even had a staff meeting to let them know about the decision.

The suit claims there was a note posted on an assignment clipboard before a hospital attorney told the nurse manager they could not continue doing what had been done. [...]

The lawsuit claims, "The father told the Charge Nurse that he did not want any African Americans taking care of his baby. While telling the Charge Nurse, he pulled up his sleeve and showed some type of tattoo, which was believed to be a swastika of some kind."

A hospital spokeswoman acknowledged that the request was made, but that "[t]he father was informed that his request could not be granted[.]"

ABC12 was able to obtain a copy of the note that the nurse, who remains anonymous, says was attached to the child's assignment clipboard for about four hours. "That did not happen," the hospital's lawyer said.

original.jpg

Replies

• 700700 I been chasing this dream so long, chasing it, I'm chasing it, told myself that I gotta stay strong Plap City, FLAPosts: 10,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    i would have let the lil bitch die

or let lil wendy who got twenty bodies on her already be her nurse
    illedoutYoung StefbgoatCashmoneyDux
  • Gold_CertificateGold_Certificate Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That was nice of them.
    Ajackson17blackgod813
  • KatKat You just do you..Imma do me :* Posts: 39,073 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, I see the story has evolved. There was no mention of the hospital denying anything or saying that they declined the father's request when they reported it on CNN the other day.
    Young Stef
  • twatgettatwatgetta Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Niggaz uptight over Redneck shenanigans again? let it go people....let it go.
    DarthRozay2 DrawlzSixSickSins
  • ohhhlaohhhla Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    HIPAA is a bitch in this situation, now is it?

*Nurse post*
  • shit happensshit happens Do She Got Dat ASS? Had to pump da breaks jus to keep myself from crashinPosts: 9,170 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Racism is a live and living
    I refuse to believe @ohhlaa is a black male.

I guess IRS putting that flavor in your ear.

Some people refuse to believe the Earth is Spheroid

They're idiots.
  • Gold_CertificateGold_Certificate Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's the alternative? Forcefully treating a nigga's baby?

That's asking for trouble b.
    Melanin_Enriched Black_Samson
    ohhhla wrote: »

They're idiots.

I don't know what you mean by that.

My comment was solely based on what I've read you post.

I just don't believe it.

And if that's a client's 'right' legally, then it should NOT be a right in 2013.

If you want to live in a white world you best go off the grid. We should not be accommodating shit like that...period.
    ohhhla wrote: »

They're idiots.

I don't know what you mean by that.

My comment was solely based on what I've read you post.

I just don't believe it.

And if that's a client's 'right' legally, then it should NOT be a right in 2013.

If you want to live in a white world you best go off the grid. We should not be accommodating shit like that...period.

Nurse rule number one: Clients over everything.

It's no biggie, you can't questioned that. It's no big deal.

It's a job, you want the client to feel as comfortable as he/she can.

If a black client doesn't want a white client, it's applies there too.

Some people are still racist or prejudice.
  • 700700 I been chasing this dream so long, chasing it, I'm chasing it, told myself that I gotta stay strong Plap City, FLAPosts: 10,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    yall in here talkin crazy

a head nurse or whoever runs that shit will get fired for tellin black nurses they cant work on somebody

that shit happened in my city before

yall just talkin out yall ass
    Ajackson17lion_heartCashmoneyDuxgns
  • The ProdigalsonThe Prodigalson Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope she win the case. There a big difference is supporting a patience right and conforming to his bigotry.
    illedoutSixSickSins
    Ajackson17 wrote: »
    The man's request must be honored. The patient is always right

Fuck that.

I saw this on the news the other day. That's fucked up that the hospital wouldn't stand behind their employee. I would've told that dude to deliver his baby at the crib if he wants to act like this isn't 2013.

Fucking idiot..you notice HE'S not on the news. If you're not ashamed of the way you think and behave, why the anonymity? Coward.

had to no-sign you Kat.
    from the article it sounds like the baby was already born & being treated in the NICU.
    if the baby was in the NICU then it wasn't able to survive w/o some sort of assistance. its not like the hospital could have discharged the baby so that he could have gone elsewhere for treatment. had they refused his request and he refused treatment for the child, the hospital would have had Social services put the child in state custody until treatment was completed. it's our job to treat first, and accommodate whatever fucked up preferences the patient has later.

and it wouldn't have been appropriate for the nurse to respond in that way. she did the right thing imho.

lol..you're the nurse and you're right, she did respond in the professional manner. I was just venting.

Now you see why I work in a cubicle. I don't have much patience for assholes.

no he sounds like a nurse that wants to keep his license. you can't snap off and behave any kind of way as a nurse.
    patient's rights are first.

That explains THAT post..any reasoning for the other 4K posts?

I still don't believe it.
    Young Stefblackgod813purpngold
    Good...bet you take that 'right' away from these ignorant fucks and make them choose a black nurse/doctor over NO nurse or doctor and they'll come to their damn senses real quick.

And what's sad is dude has a kid...another cycle begins.
    illedoutYoung Stefblackgod813purpngold
    Hell, there's feather-dot Indian clients that don't want women to bathe them

Is that client an asshole, too? AKA SEXIST PRICK?