Spinoff: My problem with Science/Maths

bdbdbdbdbdbd Posts: 2,342
edited February 2013 in For The Grown & Sexy
ill probably get a lot backlash for this, but this is why i think science is just as useless as religion. and its gonna be a long post....most wont read cus you know....you aint tryna read a typography but if your up for debate try to get through it

science is passed of as FACT....i.e. this is science so it must be true.

yet (and before i continue typin i dont study science so forgive me if i get a few "facts" wrong but hopefully you will see where im trying to come from)

and yet:
- they said the atom was the smallest thing known to man, but now we have quarks
- they said the earth was flat, but now we see it is spherical
- then there is this thread http://community.allhiphop.com/discussion/490699/rewriting-evolution-darwin-was-wrong/p1 i.e. Rewriting evolution - darwin was wrong

- then i have my own beefs with science/math

i believe science slash math a convenient answer to to questions that queries that just cannot be answered e.g.

measurements - 10 centimetres, ok we all know that 10cm is 10cm....but why is it so....at some point some person must have taken a specific amount of distance and just said "fuck it...this is a centimetre thus this is ten centimetres"
granted measurements work for us, as we have technology beyond belief, but what if we were wrong about measurements like we were about the world being flat?

big bang theory.....come on son....i mean its plausible, but to hold that up as FACT.....i know it is just a theory but thoe that believe in it are not open to the idea that they may be wrong......they are 100% sure that is the truth. but how is the big bang theory any less a story than the 7 days in which god created the earth?

gravity pisses me off to....so cus we are stuck to the ground, cus an apple fell on newtons head we are to believe that there is a force (of perfect proportions) that holds each and everyone of us to the core of the earth? why is it that there is a force that pulls us and not a force that pushes us?

i have a lot of beefs with science an math....but im a lil drunk and cant be bothered to go into it more

Comments

• gravity pisses me off to....so cus we are stuck to the ground, cus an apple fell on newtons head we are to believe that there is a force (of perfect proportions) that holds each and everyone of us to the core of the earth? why is it that there is a force that pulls us and not a force that pushes us?

really?
  • bdbdbdbdbdbd Posts: 2,342
    Ajackson17 wrote: »
    Science isn't suppose to be rooted like religion. It's suppose to be ever changing until we get to the core of the factual info of everything.

but does the majority of mankind live their life based of science...and if its not fact why are we taught that from age of 5 that science and mathS is truth?

i mean one second pluto is a planet and next it isnt....what about us 80s babies that spent 16 years believing it is part of our solar system and now we gotta forget "P"

the pneumonic we learned was "My Very Educated Mother Just Served Up Nine Pizzas" i.e "Mercury Venus Earth Mars Jupiter Saturn Uranus Neptune Pluto "

now this was promoted as fact...not as something that can be altered....so when i see that pluto is no longer part of the crew i started thinking.....what can we really trust about these science lessons.....same with atoms and quarks...i found out about quarks by accident cus i like to read random shit....if i didnt id still be under the pretence that atoms were the smallest thing know to man
  • ohhhlaohhhla Posts: 10,314
    bdbdbd wrote: »
    Science isn't suppose to be rooted like religion. It's suppose to be ever changing until we get to the core of the factual info of everything.

but does the majority of mankind live their life based of science...and if its not fact why are we taught that from age of 5 that science and mathS is truth?

i mean one second pluto is a planet and next it isnt....what about us 80s babies that spent 16 years believing it is part of our solar system and now we gotta forget "P"

the pneumonic we learned was "My Very Educated Mother Just Served Up Nine Pizzas" i.e "Mercury Venus Earth Mars Jupiter Saturn Uranus Neptune Pluto "

now this was promoted as fact...not as something that can be altered....so when i see that pluto is no longer part of the crew i started thinking.....what can we really trust about these science lessons.....same with atoms and quarks...i found out about quarks by accident cus i like to read random shit....if i didnt id still be under the pretence that atoms were the smallest thing know to man

Because our understanding on certain topics gets better.

Changing the useless shit and coming up with better mechanism.

Why is that a bad???
  • CopperCopper Posts: 33,815
    science is never taught like its written in stone....the theories and beliefs are taught to pass on knowledge and the act of creative thought and ideas
    ohhhla wrote: »
    No, Science isn't.

If weren't for science.

You wouldn't be bitching on a message board how science is overrated or annoying.

nah but my point is imagine our version of "science" is wrong.....just imagine there was a more advanced version of science that we havent achieved yet cus we are so set in our ways...imagine that instead of typing shit in a forum we wer communicating via holograms and shit (im just talking random hypothetical stuff right now)...i mean isnt that what science is anyway? imagining possibilities. i bet when edison first discovered electricity, he was ridiculed
    they say when galileo said the earth was round he got jailed or hung (cant remember).

my point isnt necessarily that science but the idea of it being true is fucked....its just stories

"The Earth was flat if you went too far you would fall off
    Now the Earth is round if the shape change again everybody woulda start laugh"

Damien Marley encapsulated exactly what im trying to say
  • edwardnigmaedwardnigma Posts: 3,364
    Nigga, on some real

That maths shit, got u looking like a fucking idiot. Change that shit. Its math, ok.

Now other then that, i feel you. Science is a.very flaky department. While the universe isnt its diverse.

Many tging that are based in truth have been compromised for profit because capitolism reigns supreme.

I just stay aware of all the theories and come to my own conclusion because i respect that i have the power to.

Theyve changed dates in the year, taken planets out of the equation, rename monthd to match emperors since Romes glory days and thats multiple centuries ago

So its very logical for you to ask questions, thats how we grow.

welcome to the matrix nigga
    ohhhla wrote: »

Because our understanding on certain topics gets better.

Changing the useless shit and coming up with better mechanism.

Why is that a bad???

nah i never bad talk gaining knowledge and negating false theories.....but i hate the fact that if i was to go to a person of science and try to argue something of a religious/spiritual nature they will laugh in my face and ask "wheres your proof? "....the same for religious folk but i just decided to talk about science in this convo.... yet when i say "ok where is your proof that science is in fact true they call me stupid and remark on all the technology we have ... like foreal? is life gauged on how many pixels we have?

just becuase shit is convenient it doesnt mean that its true....hope that made a lil sense
  • CainCain Posts: 25,698
    Science just like Faith is not fact for example.......

Water is made up of H2O........Theory

God will makes it rain............Faith

Water is wet.............Fact
  • KaiKai Posts: 21,097
    maybe if you studied it you'd be able to answer these questions you have

what's your problem with math tho?
    Nigga, on some real

That maths shit, got u looking like a fucking idiot. Change that shit. Its math, ok.

Now other then that, i feel you. Science is a.very flaky department. While the universe isnt its diverse.

Many tging that are based in truth have been compromised for profit because capitolism reigns supreme.

I just stay aware of all the theories and come to my own conclusion because i respect that i have the power to.

Theyve changed dates in the year, taken planets out of the equation, rename monthd to match emperors since Romes glory days and thats multiple centuries ago

So its very logical for you to ask questions, thats how we grow.

welcome to the matrix nigga

ok but you talk about dates, calenders etc.....and say that me mentioning math got me looking like an idiot.
    dates and such are measurements no?

maybe when i said maths i was talking wrong cus i thought measurements pertained to mathematics just as much as they do to science....

i may have got what you were trying to say to me confused so forgive me if i did
  • PimpMVPPimpMVP Posts: 6,208
    edited February 2013
    Cain1 wrote: »
    Science just like Faith is not fact for example.......

Water is made up of H2O........Theory

God will makes it rain............Faith

Water is wet.............Fact

Water is made out of 2 hydrogen atoms and 1 oxygen atom.. Fact

Water is not wet... I've explained this before.
    PimpMVP wrote: »
    Yes, yes I would.

Water isn't wet. Wetness is a description of our experience of water; what happens to us when we come into contact with water in such a way that it impinges on our state of being. We, or our possessions, 'get wet'. A less impinging sense experience of water is that it is cold or warm, while visual experience tells us that it is green or blue or muddy or fast-flowing. We learn by experience that a sensation of wetness is associated with water: 'there must be a leak/I must have sat in something.'
    kai_valya wrote: »

like i said before...in school i was taught a centimetre was a centimetre .....a decimetre was 10 centimetres, there are 10 millimetres in a centimeter....so where did that millimeter come from....i know there are smaller measurements than a millimeter but i mean at some point one day someone just took a random measurement and said "ok this is going to be a millimeter" thus it measurements only exist because someone decided they were going to exist.....imagine i just decide to make a new measurement today called a BDMeter....how is that any less relevant than a millimeter which some one someday decided to invent.

its like money.....one day someone decided to add value to a piece of paper with a 5/10/20/50/100 on it......same way someone decided to add value to a distance and give it a name
  • Oya_HusbandOya_Husband Posts: 14,022

In science once understanding is risen to higher levels than we can discard the information that was false. If people were actually taught science in school than you wouldn't have these feelings right now. You would have realized they came up with the correct or semi-correct information to realize pluto isn't a planet and that we have another one that we didn't realize that was connected to our Solar System.
    There are facts in numbers and truth in measurements.

Science history and religon is your enemy

Math is the truth, its your guide and friend,ya comrade in the matrix as.well as a tool.

In truth a number is closer to your actual description then a name is....

Numbers is the truth.

You're either using the numbers correvtly.or your not.

We live in a society that lies about the numbers,and will claim the incorrect to be correct if it means profit.

Our world is a mutual facade when you stop and observe.

• blakfyahkingblakfyahking Posts: 14,202

like i said before...in school i was taught a centimetre was a centimetre .....a decimetre was 10 centimetres, there are 10 millimetres in a centimeter....so where did that millimeter come from....i know there are smaller measurements than a millimeter but i mean at some point one day someone just took a random measurement and said "ok this is going to be a millimeter" thus it measurements only exist because someone decided they were going to exist.....imagine i just decide to make a new measurement today called a BDMeter....how is that any less relevant than a millimeter which some one someday decided to invent.

its like money.....one day someone decided to add value to a piece of paper with a 5/10/20/50/100 on it......same way someone decided to add value to a distance and give it a name

this is true............but the question is why do you find that to be a problem?

the standardization of measurements has advanced the application of science way beyond what people who invented mathematics could have ever imagined
    There are facts in numbers and truth in measurements.

Science history and religon is your enemy

Math is the truth, its your guide and friend,ya comrade in the matrix as.well as a tool.

In truth a number is closer to your actual description then a name is....

Numbers is the truth.

You're either using the numbers correvtly.or your not.

We live in a society that lies about the numbers,and will claim the incorrect to be correct if it means profit.

Our world is a mutual facade when you stop and observe.

im always ALWAYS interested in numbers...just not from an academic point of view....if that makes sense.
    where did you get your learning from (i.e. school or personal research)
  • The sciences are inherently dynamic; that's their greatest strength.
  • CopperCopper Posts: 33,815

he has a problem with maths not math
  • Rasta.Rasta. Posts: 6,322
    There's nothing as useless as religion op! Science says "you gon be crying if i slap tha shit outta you" and experiments to back its claims up. Religion on tha other hand expects me to believe some shit that don't make sense to my 4year old nephew.
    I aint learn shit in school but how to be a fool

Personal research is the best solution.

Personally,im just a solitary guy so you already know.

I feel where u coming from though

That feeling of wanting to know, what the fuck is really goin on

Thats wasup,im with it

But all yo questiond aint my questions ya know? Although im sure we share some of the same ones

this is true............but the question is why do you find that to be a problem?

the standardization of measurements has advanced the application of science way beyond what people who invented mathematics could have ever imagined

ok its a problem to me cus...our whole lives are determined by these sort of things, like its not like i wake up in the morning everyday and curse my life cus i live accordingly to the measurements bestowed upon me...but i just think sometimes, i dunno....i mean we did think the world was flat, we did think the sun revolved around the earth, they say it takes about 8minutes for the suns lights to reach the earth...and if the sun was to explode we would see it after 8 minutes......where is the hard, physical proof? when i say proof im talking about, if i punch you in the eye its gonna hurt....i will do it....you will have your proof.....but everything about science and maths is pure hypothesis, nothing but "semi-educated" guesses....which i respect, but at the same time...when my children get issued a book at school explaining the solar system (now minus pluto) i expect the book to be stamped, in big red, bolded capitals.......this is just a guess......so that my son or daughter can question it.....cus for damn near 16 years of my life i didnt question shit....and im fucking pissed i wasnt given the opportunity to question it.....as far as im concerned, an atom was the smallest thing know to man, pluto was and always will be a planet and a centimetre is a centimetre