50 did not Kill Ja Rules Career, Ja Rule Killed it when he tried to be Tupac Lite...

Soloman_The_WiseSoloman_The_Wise The Make It Happen Man...Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2013 in The Reason
At one point Ja Rule was on top of the game he had back to back hits and linked up with Nas in their mutual beefs Primarily 50 cent. But there was a undercurrent in the industry and Ja Rule while still making hits was on the edge of things and had to make a choice in which direction to go one that would further cement him as a Hip Pop Mainstay or have him fall off as a has been...

I was trying to find the footage where Ja Rule asked the Crowd if they wanted makaveli and then proclaimed himself to be representing the spirit of 2pac with his music. That seemed to be the game changer that forever changed public opinion of Ja. After that Nas stepped away and Ja Rule started his descent. not saying 50 did not do damage just that Ja Rule played himself and tried to bite too much of a small part of Pacs Formula(Ironically 50 was doing the same with another portion of Pacs persona) Ja Rule stagnated his own growth and carreer by trying to emulate another successful artist instead of further developing his own style...

Anyone that can find the footage or audio from the mentioned show would be doing a great service by posting it here in this thread...
Mr.Forte

Replies

• Soloman_The_WiseSoloman_The_Wise The Make It Happen Man... Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought he fucked when he started singing and had a Grease inspired video . I preferred Tupac lite Ja Rule
    Naw those things were all on the downslope and only further pushed kats away from his music the tipping point was the whole Tupac thing and pinnacled with him proclaiming himself Pac...

• _Menace__Menace_ 4 MOD West.Side.CaliforniaPosts: 25,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back Down clapped Ja's career
    qawshunFigoCashmoneyDuxblackbloc
  • iKingGodGivBiziKingGodGivBiz Batman With Prep Time Posts: 18,894 Regulator
    Nah he fucked up when niggas got tires of his formula singing rainy dayz with mary j blige.
    5th LetterMorganFreemanKingMuhannadCashmoneyDux
  • Lab BabyLab Baby Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought he fucked when he started singing and had a Grease inspired video . I preferred Tupac lite Ja Rule

This. Kanye, Lil Wayne and Rick Ross already proved that you can say and do all the fuck shit you want, but as long as your music is solid to some degree, your core fanbase will appreciate it. That Grease joint was shitted on on all levels. Plus before that he did a wack ass song with Bobby Brown. Plus that album both songs were on was doo doo. 3 strikes.
  • Soloman_The_WiseSoloman_The_Wise The Make It Happen Man... Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    KingGivBiz wrote: »
    Nah he fucked up when niggas got tires of his formula singing rainy dayz with mary j blige.
    that was again all part of the downslope he was trying to hard to make the songs for the ladies and being the "Sensitive Thug" so in essence you are agreeing with me. Had ja Kept the solid Venni Vetti Vecci style instead of devolving and borrowing that gimmick of the duets he may still be relevant today...

• internationalinternational Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah I have to agree, that song with Ashanti just went a bit too far, I don't know what they were thinking, even always on time and them other songs for the bitches weren't that bad, but that one went too far, I know at the end they tried to switch it up on that same vid, but nah it ain't worked.

• jayvon32jayvon32 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 2PAC shit didn't bug me to much, that collabo with bobby brown and singing with ashanti did it in
    iKingGodGivBizBarryHalls1CK1S
  • DMTxTHCDMTxTHC Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A1000MILES wrote: »
    The federal court system killed Ja Rule's career...Fuck all that other shit...

This sounds more accurate.. Ja was pretty strong in 2004, Wonderful peaked at #5 on the Hot 100 while New York (his GOAT single) peaked at #27..

There were talks of renewing his contract with Def Jam around 05-06, but the Fed's investigation on The Inc made them refuse to sign him again..
  • mdotmdot Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never could get into Ja I hated most of his singles.
    Built 4 cuban linx
  • gemini86gemini86 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭✭✭
    trying to rewrite history. ja even admitted 50 ended his rapping career. heres one of the interviews with ja talkin about it

Hip-hop star Ja Rule is set to shock fans by praising his rivals Eminem and 50 Cent but also threw an underhand dig at them.

The hitmaker insists he's "moving on" from the "childish" feuds with the hip-hop heavyweights, and while he continues to dislike Eminem and 50 Cent, Ja Rule respects their talent.

Ja Rule said: "I was never into Eminem's music. He's a good rapper, but he never talks about the things that I relate to. I never bought any of his albums.

"The other guy, 50, on the other hand, he makes some good records, he talks about topics that I've gone through. We come from the same neighbourhood and I think that's where the jealously stems from: in my neighbourhood I'm the top dog, and he's not, so I guess he wanted to smear me in the rap world."
  • jayvon32jayvon32 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ja in jock patch jacket >>>>>>2chainz
    ohhhlaMorganFreemanKing
  • KalecrunchKalecrunch Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why revise history a Canadian Tour doesn't get cancelled by chanelling Pac's style alone. Ja Rule sold Millions dressing and tatted similarly to Pac plus had a Suge Knight co sign. Fif killed his popularity. there is even a book on this that touches on this called Queens Reigns Supreme... 50 CENT Fat Cat and the rise of the Hip Hop Hustler.
    Soloman_The_Wiseilledout
  • soul rattlersoul rattler Chief Petty Officer of the Ill Community Naval Command HOOYAHPosts: 14,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never had a problem with Ja's musical direction, as he never lost his versatility. In the midst of his collaborations with Mary J., Lil Mo, Ashanti, and Jennifer Lopez, he still held his own on Blood In My Eye.
    A.T.G
  • qawshunqawshun Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He would've been better off if he got at fif from the jump. That im gonna ignore the new guy shit bit him in the ass. Fif wouldn't let up. Mixtape after mixtape crazy album vs wack shit from the ink camp ja stood no chance after get rich dropped
  • BarryHallsBarryHalls Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    Didnt really like his commercial shit.

This is the Ja Rule I liked. None of that cookie monster shit.

treyside93YamoleySensei
  • P swayze166P swayze166 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only so long a corny nigga can fool people....it's like high school, that nigga stayed too long and played himself, got best up by a bigger still corny freshman and it was a wrap....hanging in high school hallways a year or two too long...we all know and seen that nigga
    FigoocelotDMTxTHCCashmoneyDux
  • CirocObamaCirocObama Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ppl said X was a 2pac clone too which i strongly disagree with, especially if you look at his rap history. My point is, i don't know if i necessarily agree with that a whole lot. I love 2pac but his post-death fans are some of the most retarded dudes out there.

I will say tho that at some instances i could see why they would think that. I think Irv Gotti was behind all that. If you've ever listened to Gotti, no matter how much we love what he did for the game, i think he kinda wanted to be "Suge-like" while having a "2pac"/"DMX" to his right.

I mean there's an album cover from Ja that looks exactly like one of DMX's photo from Rolling Stone back in 2000, that hook "Not always there when you call but always on time" is something DMX used to say alot, even though it came from a religious thing and so on. Then certain shit from 2pac as well.

I'm pretty sure it was Irv who wanted to have Ja like that. We're talking about post-death 2pac too when the whole aura of 2pac became bigger. Ja is really talented tho other than that IMO.
  • blackrainblackrain Posts: 19,114 Regulator
    At one point Ja Rule was on top of the game he had back to back hits and linked up with Nas in their mutual beefs Primarily 50 cent. But there was a undercurrent in the industry and Ja Rule while still making hits was on the edge of things and had to make a choice in which direction to go one that would further cement him as a Hip Pop Mainstay or have him fall off as a has been...

I was trying to find the footage where Ja Rule asked the Crowd if they wanted makaveli and then proclaimed himself to be representing the spirit of 2pac with his music. That seemed to be the game changer that forever changed public opinion of Ja. After that Nas stepped away and Ja Rule started his descent. not saying 50 did not do damage just that Ja Rule played himself and tried to bite too much of a small part of Pacs Formula(Ironically 50 was doing the same with another portion of Pacs persona) Ja Rule stagnated his own growth and carreer by trying to emulate another successful artist instead of further developing his own style...

Anyone that can find the footage or audio from the mentioned show would be doing a great service by posting it here in this thread...

Well you won't ever find footage of that because Ja said that on a radio interview over the phone not on stage and yeah that rant was a moment where shit began to shift for him in the public eye. That was just over the top and did contribute to the "He's trying too hard" shit many accused Ja of from his 2nd album on
  • blackrainblackrain Posts: 19,114 Regulator

That was the nail in the coffin. Funny shit is the song before that "Thug Lovin" and the song you're talking about "Mezmerise" actually were BOTH hit songs until the videos came out and people clowned them for being corny as fuck. But on initial release both Thug Lovin and Mesmerize were hit radio singles for Ja