Drake and The Weeknd not cool with each other anymore?

sullysully Posts: 4,703 ✭✭✭✭✭
Think about it, when is the last time you've seen Drake and The Weeknd interact on Twitter, let alone release music together? It's been months and apparently it's more than just a coincidence.

Ever since Drake discovered The Weeknd, and the fellow Toronto singer subsequently blew up, it was assumed Abel would one day sign to Drake's OVO label.

Well The Weeknd eventually went on to sign a solo deal with Universal Republic this past September and release Trilogy with no attachment to OVO in November. That's apparently when Drake and The Weeknd's relationship went sour.

ywWIbmP.png

Shortly after Drake alluded to that situation with the above tweet, he released "Started From The Bottom." The second verse/ bridge of that single has slightly more direct shots.

"I could turn your boy into the manThere ain't really much I hear that's poppin' off without us, nigga We just want the credit where it's due… No new niggas, nigga we don't feel thatFuck a fake friend, where you real friends at?"

Tonight the beef was all but confirmed, when the official OVOFest Twitter account sent out the below tweet.

RshXDjd.png

http://www.themaskedgorilla.com/drake-and-the-weeknd-are-beefing/
gns

Replies

• DarthRozayDarthRozay Posts: 18,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Supposedly OVO Records is also through YMCMB, so obviously The Weeknd didn't want that many hands in his pockets and didn't sign with Drake. Heard that's the reason he's mad.
    sapp08_2001Lord EtherVader_F_KennedyFyHunnitwaterproof
  • andre_1024andre_1024 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems petty, oh well..

at least we got some dope shit from them on Take Care
  • iKingGodGivBiziKingGodGivBiz Batman With Prep Time Posts: 19,611 Regulator
    What Would Jay Z Do.... sorry typing outloud again...
    DarthRozayStoneColdMikey2 Drawlz
  • AggyAFAggyAF Y pree Worl boss fi wiPosts: 28,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Supposedly OVO Records is also through YMCMB, so obviously The Weeknd didn't want that many hands in his pockets and didn't sign with Drake. Heard that's the reason he's mad.

OVO is through Warners Bros (distribution deal)
    2 DrawlzSleepwalkingInJapan

that's why I said "ALSO through.." I'm not sure if the rumor is true, but it would definitely make sense as to why Abel didn't sign with Drake.
  • CJCJ Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Kame

Explain this sir

that's why I said "ALSO through.." I'm not sure if the rumor is true, but it would definitely make sense as to why Abel didn't sign with Drake.

OVO has no deal or official affiliationg with Cash Money, Universal or Young Money

OVO has no deal or official affiliationg with Cash Money, Universal or Young Money

I didn't know you were the lawyer who was working on the OVO Record deal.

Quit acting like you know everything.

Prove me wrong.
    2 Drawlzbuttuh_b
  • KameKame Posts: 23,798 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    @kame would know

Rumor is they been beefing since summer over money issues
    Weeknd didn't give Drake a cosignature when he got his deal or something... when they allegedly had something agreed upon beforehand
    The Weeknd really don't have a good reputation on that front... did the same thing to the guy who produced what you need and the morning when they started beefing. These are just rumors though...

2 Drawlz

Prove me wrong.

I don't have proof. Just like you don't either.

Here's what Illseed posted 2 weeks ago, if anyone cares.

These cats beefing? What’s the deal? I can’t even call it. But, beefing they supposedly are. What’s beef you may ask? This ain’t the stuff Biggie used to rap about. Seems like The Weeknd opted not to sign with Drake, because that deal is linked to YMCMB. I mistakenly thought that the OVO Label was under the Warner Brand and only Warner. But, nope. Streets say that The Weeknd didn’t like that deal and opted to go a different route to the chagrin of Drizzy. Now, this new song called “Started From The Bottom” is licking shots at The Weeknd. I thought that boy was like Drake’s best friend, but I guess he’s just smart. That’s a lot of hands in your pockets! Hands all in the weed pockets and all that! Anyway, if there is a beef, who cares…just sounds like business to me.

http://allhiphop.com/2013/02/10/hip-hop-rumors-drake-and-the-weeknd-beefing/
    sapp08_20012 Drawlz
    do you even like any modern artists black or are you stuck on some early 00's shit? lol
    CJPeezy_Jenkins
  • lookdudelookdude Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The weeknd be tough talkin in his songs too
    JDSTAYWITIT.sapp08_2001

Prove me wrong.

These cats beefing? What’s the deal? I can’t even call it. But, beefing they supposedly are. What’s beef you may ask? This ain’t the stuff Biggie used to rap about. Seems like The Weeknd opted not to sign with Drake, because that deal is linked to YMCMB. I mistakenly thought that the OVO Label was under the Warner Brand and only Warner. But, nope. Streets say that The Weeknd didn’t like that deal and opted to go a different route to the chagrin of Drizzy. Now, this new song called “Started From The Bottom” is licking shots at The Weeknd. I thought that boy was like Drake’s best friend, but I guess he’s just smart. That’s a lot of hands in your pockets! Hands all in the weed pockets and all that! Anyway, if there is a beef, who cares…just sounds like business to me.

who is Illseeed? you have no proof? ok. why are you upset?
    DarthRozaybuttuh_b
  • Black_SamsonBlack_Samson I drive a fast car... Posts: 49,381 Regulator
    do you even like any modern artists black or are you stuck on some early 00's shit? lol

ayyyyyye fuck you, thats a step up from what i was saying bout them niggas last year... was a time i wouldn't even fuck with them.

and yeah....

miguel aight, he doing good things with music.

but i be on my, Sir Charles Jones shit.

now thats music.
    OGClarenceBoddickerCP203Disciplined InSight
  • infamous114infamous114 Down in Miami where it's warm in the winter. Posts: 30,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

Prove me wrong.

And do you bruh? You seen the contract up front?
    DarthRozay

Prove me wrong.

And do you bruh? You seen the contract up front?

Yes
    DarthRozaybuttuh_b
  • Bcotton5Bcotton5 Posts: 44,951 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    OVOYMCMB its just us nigga!
    sapp08_2001Kameidoitforhiphop10Vader_F_KennedyMichael_Maliceeternal soldierbuttuh_bBender Rodriguezpurpngold