What is the happy medium for new NY hiphop artists?

usmarin3usmarin3 Posts: 35,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2013 in The Reason
You have people like Asap Rocky and French Montana who clearly sound like southern rappers and aren't that nice to be honest, then you got niggas like Joey Badass who makes traditionally sounding NY rap but it sounds dated like he is trying to recapture a time period that's already passed.

So what is the happy medium, is there anyone that still sounds NYish but isn't outdated and is there anyone new and progressive but don't sound like the south.?
«13

Replies

  • GhostdenithegawdGhostdenithegawd Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    fabulous comes to mind
    illedout32DaysOfInfinitiOGClarenceBoddickerCashmoneyDuxDarthRozayjayvon32
  • nyst8ofminnyst8ofmin Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭
  • usmarin3usmarin3 Posts: 35,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lab Baby wrote: »
    Why should we drop our sound? Southern artists been rockin with the same sound for decades, with modifications. Just cuz it ain't selling now, doesn't mean it's outdated. What's gonna happen if Joey blows up, and everyone starts running to that sound? We're the best when we stick to what we know, and innovate at our own pace.


    The souths production has changed a lot since the 90s. That Beats by the Pound, Jazze Pha, Organize Noize,etc production sounds nothing like what's out now (Runner, Inkredibles, Justice League,etc).
    chiyosukeWild SelfCashmoneyDux
  • twatgettatwatgetta Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never thought I'd see the day when New York rappers fashioned their music after Dirty South rappers music. Just more proof the DirtySouth is the land of innovators not perpetrators
  • Wild SelfWild Self Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    twatgetta wrote: »
    I never thought I'd see the day when New York rappers fashioned their music after Dirty South rappers music. Just more proof the DirtySouth is the land of innovators not perpetrators

    Crazy how you see NYers and even Jersey heads taking southern slang nowadays. At least the young dudes.
    twatgettajayvon32
  • 5th Letter5th Letter AKA 5th Element Posts: 27,379 Regulator
    Action Bronson is nice Flex been playing his songs a lot lately.
    DMTxTHC1of1A.T.G
  • AggyAFAggyAF Y pree Worl boss fi wiPosts: 27,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    *sigh*

    NY has new artists with new sounds. Watch for the scene to blow up this year
    5th Letter
  • lamontbdclamontbdc Posts: 16,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
    *sigh*

    NY has new artists with new sounds. Watch for the scene to blow up this year
    @BlackGerald

    don't worry it'll take another 10 days at best for another one of these threads
    AggyAF
  • AggyAFAggyAF Y pree Worl boss fi wiPosts: 27,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    *sigh*

    NY has new artists with new sounds. Watch for the scene to blow up this year
    @BlackGerald

    don't worry it'll take another 10 days at best for another one of these threads

    Maybe its time for another "This is the New New York" lol. NY has new sounds, they just aren't mainstream yet
    5th Letter
  • 1of11of1 Posts: 37,469 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wild Self wrote: »
    twatgetta wrote: »
    I never thought I'd see the day when New York rappers fashioned their music after Dirty South rappers music. Just more proof the DirtySouth is the land of innovators not perpetrators

    Crazy how you see NYers and even Jersey heads taking southern slang nowadays. At least the young dudes.

    Regional boundaries have largely been taken away with the use of the internet, social media, etc.
    Wild Selfnycdieselmiamivice305
  • 1of11of1 Posts: 37,469 ✭✭✭✭✭
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    You have people like Asap Rocky and French Montana who clearly sound like southern rappers and aren't that nice to be honest, then you got niggas like Joey Badass who makes traditionally sounding NY rap but it sounds dated like he is trying to recapture a time period that's already passed.

    So what is the happy medium, is there anyone that still sounds NYish but isn't outdated and is there anyone new and progressive but don't sound like the south.?

    Lol @ "not that nice to be honest"

    French Montana is a functioning retard.

    He has an excuse, he's been shot in the head and idk if English is his first language so he sounds dumb as shit.
    DMTxTHCT. SanfordMrCrookedLetter
  • Ear2DaStEar2DaSt Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Southern Universal!
  • antarticpantarticp Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    joey sounds far from outdated .. if he sounded outdated there would be noway he would of gain this much notoriety ... thats actually why hes getting burn cause it sounds fresh but with a twist of essence .....
    Built 4 cuban linxmiamivice305
  • antarticpantarticp Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wild Self wrote: »
    twatgetta wrote: »
    I never thought I'd see the day when New York rappers fashioned their music after Dirty South rappers music. Just more proof the DirtySouth is the land of innovators not perpetrators

    Crazy how you see NYers and even Jersey heads taking southern slang nowadays. At least the young dudes.

    it is what it is the game changed ... everyone used to try to talk like they was from the east coast .... then everyone was loc'in like they from the west .... now everybody woadie cause the south is running it ... it is what it is ... imo @ the end of the day its just shows the power of hip hop .... and we keep sleeping on it when it comes to real ish @ that point it becomes nothing but entertainment .................................................................
    Wild Self
  • AggyAFAggyAF Y pree Worl boss fi wiPosts: 27,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wild Self wrote: »
    twatgetta wrote: »
    I never thought I'd see the day when New York rappers fashioned their music after Dirty South rappers music. Just more proof the DirtySouth is the land of innovators not perpetrators

    Crazy how you see NYers and even Jersey heads taking southern slang nowadays. At least the young dudes.

    thats how we grew up so.....idk why people think that everyone north of the Mason Dixon line only listened to Mobb Deep and Killah Priest
    Built 4 cuban linxDMTxTHCidoitforhiphop10
  • usmarin3usmarin3 Posts: 35,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just do what u feel like doing. Ppl complain about NY too much. And how do u expect the new generation NOT to be influenced by the South that's what we grew up on sadly.

    The Underachievers
    Flatbush Zombies
    Dyme-A-Duzin
    Planet Fli
    Vinny Cha$e
    Action Bronson

    Are all doing them if u complaining about NY Hip Hop or Rap in general in 2013 u need to turn off the damn radio


    SMH apparently you don't understand what i mean, when i say NY i mean artist who can take the flag on the MAINSTREAM level like how Big, Nas and Jay did.
  • usmarin3usmarin3 Posts: 35,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
    antarticp wrote: »
    joey sounds far from outdated .. if he sounded outdated there would be noway he would of gain this much notoriety ... thats actually why hes getting burn cause it sounds fresh but with a twist of essence .....


    What notoriety, who outside of NY is checking for that nigga.

  • Lab BabyLab Baby Posts: 7,059 ✭✭✭✭✭
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    Just do what u feel like doing. Ppl complain about NY too much. And how do u expect the new generation NOT to be influenced by the South that's what we grew up on sadly.

    The Underachievers
    Flatbush Zombies
    Dyme-A-Duzin
    Planet Fli
    Vinny Cha$e
    Action Bronson

    Are all doing them if u complaining about NY Hip Hop or Rap in general in 2013 u need to turn off the damn radio


    SMH apparently you don't understand what i mean, when i say NY i mean artist who can take the flag on the MAINSTREAM level like how Big, Nas and Jay did.

    And what makes you think those artists can't? Especially Vinny Cha$e... he seems to have the most commercial appeal if anything.
  • usmarin3usmarin3 Posts: 35,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lab Baby wrote: »
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    Just do what u feel like doing. Ppl complain about NY too much. And how do u expect the new generation NOT to be influenced by the South that's what we grew up on sadly.

    The Underachievers
    Flatbush Zombies
    Dyme-A-Duzin
    Planet Fli
    Vinny Cha$e
    Action Bronson

    Are all doing them if u complaining about NY Hip Hop or Rap in general in 2013 u need to turn off the damn radio


    SMH apparently you don't understand what i mean, when i say NY i mean artist who can take the flag on the MAINSTREAM level like how Big, Nas and Jay did.

    And what makes you think those artists can't? Especially Vinny Cha$e... he seems to have the most commercial appeal if anything.

    What makes you think they can?

  • $tayRichROLLIN$tayRichROLLIN King among kings Home away from homePosts: 1,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i miss ny when it had pride. but oh well just blend in
  • AggyAFAggyAF Y pree Worl boss fi wiPosts: 27,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    Lab Baby wrote: »
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    Just do what u feel like doing. Ppl complain about NY too much. And how do u expect the new generation NOT to be influenced by the South that's what we grew up on sadly.

    The Underachievers
    Flatbush Zombies
    Dyme-A-Duzin
    Planet Fli
    Vinny Cha$e
    Action Bronson

    Are all doing them if u complaining about NY Hip Hop or Rap in general in 2013 u need to turn off the damn radio


    SMH apparently you don't understand what i mean, when i say NY i mean artist who can take the flag on the MAINSTREAM level like how Big, Nas and Jay did.

    And what makes you think those artists can't? Especially Vinny Cha$e... he seems to have the most commercial appeal if anything.

    What makes you think they can?

    well in the case of a Vinny Cha$e, he's very similar to a Dipset or ASAP Rocky so..............
«13
Sign In or Register to comment.