NYPD Will Now Run Criminal Checks on Domestic Abuse Victims

Young_ChitlinYoung_Chitlin YCN Chief, FCC Member, IC Task Force GeneralASUville, PhoenixPosts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭✭
By: Max Rivlin-Nadler

In a move that might discourage women from reporting domestic abuse, the NYPD has issued a new directive to its officers that they run a criminal check on both the accused and the accuser when responded to an abuse call. The New York Post is reporting that a new memo sent out by the Chief of Detectives Phil Pulaski "requires detectives to look at open warrants, complaint histories and even the driving records of both parties."

Advocates of abused women are worried that this new directive will dissuade women form reporting abuse, frightened of possibly being arrested for offenses like an outstanding traffic violation. Marilyn Chinitz, a lawyer who represents victims of domestic abuse told The Post that the directive "is very, very frightening." She continued, "It would absolutely dissuade people. They would not report a crime because they would fear getting locked up. It would empower the perpetrator, and there's going to be more domestic violence as a consequence, and you're endangering children."

Police officers speaking anonymously to The Post that they would feel pressure to arrest abuse victims, fearful of their superior officers finding out that they had not arrested someone who had an outstanding warrant or violation. "There's a lack of common sense in this department right now," a officer told The Post.

Reacting to The Post's story, NYPD spokesman Paul Browne released this statement about the story: "While it is standard practice and policy for detectives to investigate victims' backgrounds to help lead them to the victims' assailants, the NYPD - contrary to a published report - has no "must arrest" policy that applies to domestic violence victims. In fact, the discovery of open warrants on domestic violence victims often results in their warrants being vacated."

"Must arrest" or not, by looking into records of abuse victims, the NYPD risks further discouraging reports of abuse at a time when an astonishingly few cases of domestic violence are being reported.
Will MunnyCrude_Valentinez A. KaiserAlready Home_17

Replies

• atribecalledgabiatribecalledgabi Posts: 7,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    gotdamn @ them not already doing this. oh well...progress is progress
  • Crude_Crude_ Legend Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is one thing the police are doing that I actually agree with.

A lot of times women will get upset and call the law behind petty shit.

Unless a man is just beating the shit out of a woman the law should never be involved in domestic disputes.

This is good protocol in my opinion it keeps the police from wasting time and man power writing reports and taking folks to jail that will be back with the person who filed the charges in a short period of time and it discourages accusers from involving law enforcement in petty matters wasting their time when they could be solving more important issues.
    Wild Self
  • BiblicalAtheist BiblicalAtheist Prude OutskirtsPosts: 11,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They would not report a crime because they would fear getting locked up.

Ain't that quaint. Just like calling the police cuz someone stole your drugs.
    blackjack2012Wild Self
  • hautehaute Posts: 11,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    why weren't they doing it before?
    raidhater323blackjack2012Wild SelfKai
  • raidhater323raidhater323 Posts: 66 ✭✭
    I say it's about time because some women just call the police just to win an argument. The law shouldn't be involved unless they're about to die . Too many men have gotten locked up or lost there jobs because the women
    blackjack2012
  • SneakDZASneakDZA Just a guy Posts: 8,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yo wtf kinda women are you guys with that call the cops on you and you ain't did shit?
    Kat
  • CopperCopper The WickPosts: 39,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ....for the hoes that dont come foward..this wont affect them anyway b/c they dont come foward
    blackjack2012Valentinez A. Kaiser
  • Dr.ChemixDr.Chemix Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yo wtf kinda women are you guys with that call the cops on you and you ain't did shit?

uhh just about any broad you meet on the street, library, coffee shop, bar, CVS, grocery store, Sneaker Villa, college...

you get my picture

Black_Samsonnex ginKat
  • blackjack2012blackjack2012 Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭✭✭

U never been with black women before?
    Valentinez A. KaiserWild Self
  • Black_SamsonBlack_Samson do 10 pushups everytime you read my post... you know you want too. Posts: 49,953 Regulator

Shit is being implemented for a reason, it's obvious this shit is rampant in NY.
    damn bruh...i know white chix that do it too because they know some white cop is going to automatically arrest yo ass for fucking with their pretty innocent virgin white princess
    Black_Samsonnujerz84Wild Self
    "Get on my New York shit
    And show these maphukas what New York is
    Twelve homicides in a New York minute
    Take a trip up top, for a New York visit
    N.Y.P.D. - New York Pricks n Dicks
    Heard ya workin' with the D's, you a New York snitch"

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,385
    edited March 2013
    A loved one of mine was the victim of his girl acting up and out and spiteful by calling the cops. Amazing man who was taking care of her and the minute the she felt like she was about to lose it all he ends up doing time for the first time ever in his life because of her. She is the only reason he even has any kind of a record, completely undeserved.

If that ain't the definition of a trifling bird, well then I don't know what is.

Once it's on record, regardless of innocence, employers, the city and state etc. don't care. There is a stigma which comes with that record, one that can turn folks lives into a nightmare.
    Hopefully with this being implemented it will cause some of these females to think twice before making false claims and messing with someone's life.
    Black_SamsonCrude_Wild Self
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,385
    edited March 2013
    Dr.Chemix wrote: »
    A loved one of mine was the victim of his girl acting up and out and spiteful by calling the cops. Amazing man who was taking care of her and the minute the she felt like she was about to lose it all he ends up doing time for the first time ever in his life because of her. She is the only reason he even has any kind of a record, completely undeserved.

If that ain't the definition of a trifling bird, well then I don't know what is.

Once it's on record, regardless of innocence, employers, the city and state etc. don't care. There is a stigma which comes with that record, one that can turn folks lives into a nightmare.
    Hopefully with this being implemented it will cause some of these females to think twice before making false claims and messing with someone's life.

Hot damn reading that shit pissed me the fuck off. I hope that bitch get hers

I knew it would, left out the full story, the details would most likely have a few of you brothers steamin. And by steaming I mean ready to kill the chick. Smh to the 10th power.
  • raidhater323raidhater323 Posts: 66 ✭✭

I have a government job, and when the wife called the cops on me I could of lost my job, but luckily
    my case got dismissed because the D.A said there was a lack of evidence ( I didn't do it anyway ). Yea they need to amend that domestic violence law because you got these trifling women who take advantage of it because the cops will believe them over you. By the way I'm still with my wife, but here's the funny put the only reason she bailed me out was because she knew she couldn't pay any of the bills .lol
    Valentinez A. Kaiser
  • aka_OGaka_OG Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dr.Chemix wrote: »

Hot damn reading that shit pissed me the fuck off. I hope that bitch get hers

I knew it would, left out the full story, the details would most likely have a few of you brothers steamin. And by steaming I mean ready to kill the chick. Smh to the 10th power.

LOL! Now you know you gotta finish this story off...you know, cliffhangers are the worst...
  • dalyricalbanditdalyricalbandit Co-Owner Of AllhipHop.com, Super Moderator, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 54,065 Regulator
  • Crude_Crude_ Legend Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wish they'd bring it here to the state of Louisiana.

I remember back in '08 this bird tried to body me then call the laws on me like I was trying to get physical with her.

I'm thankful to this day I didn't go to jail nor get any charges pressed against me.

A lot of guys aren't as lucky.

Then you got that ish on your record which never goes away because some bird was trying to be petty and on that foolishness.

• bigsteviebigstevie Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    Luckily I haven't had any issue like this yet...shit makes me extra nervous tho cuz ain't nobody gonna believe my side over a chick...too bad alotta dudes have fallen victim to this alrdy