Lupe's wordplay on the Fahrenheit series was far more advanced than anything Jay-Z ever did

buttuh_bbuttuh_b Posts: 11,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2013 in The Reason
Since Jay-Z's claim to fame is entendres and witty wordplay let's compare Jay's lyrical prime in yall opinion with Reasonable Doubt against Lupe Fiasco's mixtape series.

I mean Jay's shit is pretty cool and clever.. Lotta drug references. But I think that Lupe blows him out the water. Jay got a book called Decoded filled with a lot of corny pointless lines that we all probably already caught but Lupe has entire verses and songs that will go over your head to this day. Literally, every time I listen to these mixtapes I catch something new 8 years later.

Whose wordplay are yall taking?

Lupe's wordplay on the Fahrenheit series was far more advanced than anything Jay-Z ever did

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.
PimpMVPFyHunnitsullyrip.dilla

Replies

• internationalinternational Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd have to agree, Jay ain't on Lupe's level lyrically...Would like to see who would actually dispute that one.
    Serious Juice MayneFyHunnitKid DynastyValentinez A. Kaiserrip.dillamiamivice305
  • ohhhlaohhhla Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lupe Fiasco
    Ah, hell.

Here we go.
    achewon87DarcSkiesiron man1
  • buttuh_bbuttuh_b Posts: 11,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lupe Fiasco
    Why compare him to Jay-Z though? Is that the only lyrical rapper you could think of off the top of your head or something?

Because they're really the only rappers who use entendres and really do plays on words like that. And Jay-Z is supposed to be the "greatest".
    PimpMVPrip.dillaGhostdenithegawdRubato Garcia
  • KamPushMeKamPushMe Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lupe Fiasco
    true
  • mryounggunmryounggun Posts: 10,389 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haven't heard the song. I'ma give that shit a listen.

However...Jay>>>>>> A nigga who admits to be scared to get on tracks with certain niggas cuz he don't want to be outshined.

SMH. Lupe lost.
    And_So_It_BurnsGod_Yunn
  • D_Rap_ScholarD_Rap_Scholar Posts: 641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lupe Fiasco
    This thread ain't legit until you post tracks or lyrics
    blackgod813
    Lupe Fiasco
    This thread ain't legit until you post tracks or lyrics

My bad. I'm kinda busy right now but I will later. I've just been listening to Lupe so I thought about it.
  • S2JS2J Posts: 20,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jay-Z
    If just comin up with some perplexing shyt is your standard, then Canibus would be the GOAT

Its more than that. Lupe at that time was just smart just to be smart, a lot of overanalyzed bars, not really meaning a damn thing.

He scaled it back on the actual album and focused on THEMES, and it was classic. Then after that (and up to now) he went back to his "ima try to outsmart my audience" shyt and look where he at now. He says a lot, but doesnt say much.

Quality > Quantity
    nujerz84NothingButTheTruthValentinez A. Kaiser
  • 1of11of1 Posts: 37,469 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was jay in his "lyrical prime" during Reasonable Doubt? Is this something that many have already agreed upon?

But yeah Carrerra'sapredatorcollectorofbenzesforErica'sRebecca'sEtcetera
  • DMTxTHCDMTxTHC Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2013
    s2jepeka wrote: »
    Its more than that. Lupe at that time was just smart just to be smart, a lot of overanalyzed bars, not really meaning a damn thing.
    Post examples..
    buttuh_b1of1Valentinez A. Kaiser
    Lupe Fiasco
    1of1 wrote: »
    Was jay in his "lyrical prime" during Reasonable Doubt? Is this something that many have already agreed upon?

But yeah Carrerra'sapredatorcollectorofbenzesforErica'sRebecca'sEtcetera

I don't think it was his prime in my humble opinion but that seems to be the consensus amongst the IC.
    edited April 2013
  • texasdaking88texasdaking88 Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jay-Z
    bull6599 wrote: »
    I'm on mobiIe, & I knew who made this thread before even entering it...

I figured it was either bitter_b or international.. since tomp hardly ever make threads, only them 2 niggas always talking about jay more
    buttuh_bGod_Yunnrip.dilla
  • 1of11of1 Posts: 37,469 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Post examples..

Waiting...

I listened to a good amount of Lupe in 2006, however it has been a long time so I'd like to see the examples...
  • achewon87achewon87 Midnight Marauder SDF-1Posts: 3,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lupe Fiasco

Post examples..
    1of1 wrote: »
    Post examples..

Waiting...

I listened to a good amount of Lupe in 2006, however it has been a long time so I'd like to see the examples...
    @s2jepeka
  • blackamericablackamerica Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭✭✭
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    Lupe has a longer variety of worplay imo, but Jay-z is a better artist and songwriter and his execution makes his music better. He gives you just enough to where it's not overbearing and he layers his worldplay with little food for thought.
    Lmao GTFOH. Jayz a better song writer???Without Kanye Jayz is Cool Moe Dee status. Nigga bought his way into the top 5 rappers.

Lyrically
    Lupe>Jayz
    ohhhlamonolithicConfidential Playaalmighty breezerip.dillamiamivice305