Will we ever have an Atheist President?

VIBEVIBE The Man, The Myth, The FommiePosts: 41,338 ✭✭✭✭✭
If there was a candidate who was open about being an atheist, would you vote for him? If not, why?

Is a religious background important to run a country?
texas409Baybey

Replies

• Melanin_Enriched Melanin_Enriched You're favorite melanin enriched gentleman Posts: 20,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    shit if we can get a nignog in the office, anything is possible.
    VIBEillestni99ainneTrollio Ajackson17texas409LUClENamenhotepiv
  • The ProdigalsonThe Prodigalson Posts: 8,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If may be a a coup,e of decades down the line seeing that religion is on the decline in this country.
    VIBE
  • SixSickSinsSixSickSins Reading over Tananarive Due's shoulder. Somewhere getting asked about natural hair.Posts: 8,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2013
    Nah, I more than likely wouldn't vote for him/her. Not for lack of their religious/spiritual affiliation but because they tend to be Darius Downers! Not all of course...perhaps not even most..but enough to discourage me from electing them into such a political office.

And, yes, to be a figurehead of AmeriKKKa--you need to espouse religion, mainly Christianity. You must appear pristine, pure, and connected spiritually whether you are or not to run this country. Don't see that aspect changing any time soon.
    VIBEDisciplined InSightDA_Executionah!
  • 1800skypager1800skypager Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    I don't think an open Atheist candidate would be successful unless the powers that be want him to win. The media would have to do some serious manipulation to get that to happen.
    scoop1215LUClENDA_Executionah!
  • Lou_CypherLou_Cypher One Cold Ass Honkey It's Cold, AlaskaPosts: 29,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Religious folks are a huge chunk of the voters. I dont see it ever happening.
    SixSickSinsLUClENDA_Executionah!
  • VIBEVIBE The Man, The Myth, The Fommie Posts: 41,338 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every year the percentage of non-believers grows. I think if the guy was convincing enough about his agenda, he could win.
  • NIKE...NIKE... Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think he would do any better than the last 44 presidents..church and state are "seperate" already so I don't see what difference an atheist president would make..god would have to completely become irrelevant in order for an atheist pres to have any real impact on society..but shiiit I dont waste thoughts on shit like that when the dollar is God and always will be as long as capitalism runs every facet of american culture..
    Trollio (Nope)
  • DOC H0LL!DAYDOC H0LL!DAY Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In before they boot this shit to R&R
    VIBEDMTxTHCBodhiLUClEN
    I don't think he would do any better than the last 44 presidents..church and state are "seperate" already so I don't see what difference an atheist president would make..god would have to completely become irrelevant in order for an atheist pres to have any real impact on society..but shiiit I dont waste thoughts on shit like that when the dollar is God and always will be as long as capitalism runs every facet of american culture..

I don't think there would be a difference, an atheist president wouldn't be "better" than a religious one.

We've had 44 religious presidents, if an atheist stepped up to the plate, would America vote for him?

Ron Paul is an extremely religious man, he wasn't even in the running.

Obama is a Christian or Muslim, many say he's a Muslim, yet he was able to still win, plus he is black.

I think it's Obamas promises and work that won him the election, not personal beliefs.

This is why I think it's very well possible we could have an atheist president. He would just need to be one hell of a candidate.
    NIKE...Already Home_17
    In before they boot this shit to R&R

Meh, it's not really all that religious.
  • Judah BackJudah Back Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭✭✭
    America would not be America with an Atheist president. a history lesson will teach you that...
    S2Jvince_vince
  • NIKE...NIKE... Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @vibe..i agree he would have to be a hell of a candidate..I think if he ran on a transparent platform, allowing voters to actually become involved and interested in what he brings to the table, he could pull it off..the only thing that seems to override religion is the truth and I think if he is open about himself and what he plans to do, he could actually have a serious chance at winning..I think as a whole, america is tired of the lies and hypocrisy and if he can whole heartedly convince the ppl that change for the better will take place once he's in office, he could win..alot of americans are feeling played, like obama hit the country with the ole bait and switch tactic..
    VIBETrollio
  • S2JS2J Posts: 20,562 ✭✭✭✭✭
    William Harrison, Zachary Taylor, and James K. Polk were all atheists.

Ok im bullshyttin, but nah an admitted Atheist wont happen. If it does I'll assume he's the Antichrist and start knockin things off my bucket list.
    VIBE1of1StoneColdMikey
    LOL @ a black tranny president
    1of1DMTxTHCBaybey
  • J-GUTTAJ-GUTTA Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Allergens wrote: »
    atheist prez?

10-7-nr-thingamajigger-2964761-84-512.jpg

i fuck wit him, but you just know he tosses the n-word around like a black man off air

You know he dated Superhead?
    LUClEN
  • CainCain Admin, Moderator, old.me.is no more Cyttorax DimensionPosts: 32,266 Regulator
    Race&Religion thread
    vince_vinceLUClEN