Can Biggie be considered the greatest for making 2 albums?

I say yes. It's not even about the MCing.

I know this has been discussed to death, but his 2 albums impacted the hip hop scene TWICE. How many hip hop artists out there changed the 'landscape' of hiphop twice, especially on their first two tries? His impact on the game happened in a short time span, and it was very efficient.

Ready To Die = revitalized the east coast scene when the west was dominating
Life After Death = first hiphop album to go diamond.

Biggie is proof you don't need 3+ albums to be in the discussion.

Replies

• ninetiesnineties Posts: 273
    edited April 2013
    You need impact, skill, body of work, artistic growth and consistency to be considered the goat. Big doesn't deserve the title.

Big critics act like he came out with 5 songs and disappeared. he made a lot of tracks during his career if you include unreleased shit, guest appearances etc.
  • _Menace__Menace_ Posts: 20,882
    ohhhla wrote: »
    Quality, not quantity.

You don't need to put 32 albums to be the G.O.A.T

The fuck is wrong with y'all niggas.

but 2 albums? I mean if he had 5 than ok he can be in the discussion but 2 in 5 years?

I can divide
  • CirocObamaCirocObama Posts: 3,825
    _Menace_ wrote: »
    Biggie died in his prime with 2albums of course they'll talk about him being the goat.

Biggie is good but not top 5 IMO

He has no excuse for not putting out more than 2 albums he's been in the game since 92
    PAC been out since 91 and went to jail for a year and dropped 6 albums alive and 8 after his death and still has more to drop.

What I'm saying is Big is dope but doesn't have enough body of work.

LOL @ Biggie been in the game since 92. He was signed to Uptown and eventually everything with the label crumbled.

It's like saying 2pac been in the game since '89 when he was a dancer with Digital Underground. Not that i disagree with your overall point but you can't count that. Every artist been in the game longer than you think, including your boy Game.
  • _Menace__Menace_ Posts: 20,882
    Game has 5 albums and 2 albums with JT

So what's your point?
  • PimpMVPPimpMVP Posts: 6,123
    Lets use logic for a moment and put feelings aside. The term "GOAT" means the Greatest of All Time, can you really say a man that only released 2 albums is deserving of that title? Most people confuse what they thought Biggie could of been instead of thinking about him as he actually was. He released 2 good albums but that's not enough to be cemented as the GREATEST of all time.

Potential is a term that I like to use with Biggie. He had the potential to be something great but he never reached his potential. What most fans do is judge Biggie on potential, which isn't fair to all the great artists that put in the hard work and albums, that Biggie is to be considered the GOAT. Would fans be okay if Len Bias was considered the GOAT NBA player? He had a lot of potential but died before he could fulfill it. Biggie is comparable to Tracy McGrady. When you saw him play you were amazed, excited, and captivated, so much so that even after his knee injuries you still think of him as great even though his output had decreased. Would it be fair to players like Kobe, Jordan, Magic, ect to think of TMac as the greatest based off potential.

Biggie is thought of as a top rapper because of who's he associated with, the real GOAT 2pac. If you want to talk impact, no rapper had a bigger impact on hip hop than 2pac. If you want to talk sales 2Pac is top 2 overall in hip hop. If you wanted to talk classic material and an artist that actually has the albums to back up a case as the GOAT, it's 2Pac.
  • CoonKillaThirdCoonKillaThird Posts: 3,356
    No. Not when you got a nigga like Nas dropping classics 20 years later.
  • CirocObamaCirocObama Posts: 3,825
    edited April 2013
    _Menace_ wrote: »
    Game has 5 albums and 2 albums with JT

So what's your point?

The first one was released when Game was about to drop his first official album, so what's your point? Those vocals were recorded back in 2001-2002 and when Game had his deal, to make money, JT released Game's vocals over newly made beats so Game never recorded an album with JT he only did songs which they used as a demo. Alot of those albums are just same Game vocals over other beats or same songs on different albums.

My point is you can't count the years an artists is just around the business. Biggie got signed 92 when he wasn't on until 93-94 and that was due to the label shit, artist development etc. With that logic 2pac was around since '89. I do agree that you cant be GOAT with 2 albums tho.

You can't win an argument with the gawd, @menace. You should know that by now..lol j/p.
  • KLICHEKLICHE Posts: 1,831
    nineties wrote: »
    I say yes.
    ohhhla wrote: »
    Quality, not quantity.

You don't need to put 32 albums to be the G.O.A.T

The fuck is wrong with y'all niggas.

Good point, but guess some just wanted to see if he'd have stayed consistently good. Personally I think he had skill, I just never got into his music due to his voice. Just couldn't sit a chill listening to it.

For just 2 albums then dead, he did good with what he left behind. I think he hit his peak with his last album. I don't think he was going to dominate, especially say with the way thing have panned out since
  • CainCain Posts: 23,977
    Yes........no need for a long ass paragraph about it.
  • R.D.R.D. Posts: 9,962
    Life After Death is not that great of a album

With that said, this thread is why new niggas shouldnt be able to start threads. This thread is done over every other month....shieeet, i made the same thread when i 1st joined the site like back in 07/08
  • Accompany_NiggAccompany_Nigg Posts: 17,745
    nope, niggas acting like rappers haven't dropped albums that haven't rivaled those two albums in quality.

but quantity over quality is silly that's why pac is wack as fuck.
  • Brian B.Brian B. Posts: 4,900
    So, Vanilla Ice & MC Hammer didn't go diamond before biggie?

not to mention when a double LP gets sold it's counted as 2.. So, you jus gotta sell 5mil to go diamond
  • achewon87achewon87 Posts: 1,640
    R.D. wrote: »
    Life After Death is not that great of a album

With that said, this thread is why new niggas shouldnt be able to start threads. This thread is done over every other month....shieeet, i made the same thread when i 1st joined the site like back in 07/08

Been that way since 02/03 lol, some shit never changes...

Yes B.I.G. can be in the convo
  • DMTxTHCDMTxTHC Posts: 14,218
    edited April 2013