US Airways sued for making black first-class passengers remove hoodies

2stepz_ahead2stepz_ahead Who I am is Complex, What i am, simply put. I'm a Threatwalking out the lions denPosts: 17,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
Two African-American passengers, MacCraig Warren and Miles Warren, have filed a federal discrimination lawsuit against US Airways for allegedly telling them to change out of their hoodies, jeans, and baseball caps before they could board a first-class flight. The airline, however, claims that the request simply followed industry-wide policy for non-revenue paying passengers.

According to the lawsuit, last August, the Warrens were heading from Denver to Los Angeles after attending a relative's funeral. At the ticket counter, a US Airways employee told the passengers that they would have to change into a button-up shirt, slacks, and take off their baseball caps before they could board first-class.

The passengers told TODAY that they were "shocked" and "humiliated" by the request.

After the Warrens changed their attire, the lawsuit said, they were amazed to find that two other fellow first-class passengers, one white and one Filipino, were wearing hooded sweatshirt and jeans.

"It's just discrimination, that's it," plaintiff's attorney Rodney Diggs told TODAY.

US Airways said in a statement, "We welcome customers of all ethnicities and backgrounds and do not tolerate discrimination of any kind. We take these allegations seriously."

US Airways spokesperson Liz Landau told NBC News that preliminary investigation indicates that these were non-revenue passengers traveling as part of the employee travel program.

"We hold employees to a dress policy," said Landau, which includes those traveling on employee passes, but, "We do not have a dress code for passengers." Details of the dress policy are not public information, Landau said, but "employees are aware of the policy and they live up to the expectations."

The lawsuit avers, "US Airways acted intentionally, maliciously, and with willful, callous, wanton and reckless disregard for Plaintiff's statutorily protected rights and for the deleterious consequences and cruel and unjust hardship resulting to Plaintiffs from the conduct of US Airways." The Warrens are suing for racial discrimination and intentional and negligent infliction of emotional distress. The plaintiffs seek punitive damages.

"We are continuing to investigate internally to determine exactly what happened and will respond to the specifics of the complaint at that time," said Landau.

Replies

• 2stepz_ahead2stepz_ahead Who I am is Complex, What i am, simply put. I'm a Threat walking out the lions denPosts: 17,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i am glad i never went thru this and im always in first. it had to be some scary ass people....cause i usually have a hoodie on....its cold on dem bitches.

i think they know who to fukk with and who not to...

they know i spend a grip travelin round dis bitch
    THIRDSUPREME
  • The ProdigalsonThe Prodigalson Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soon as they change clothes they get in there seats and see two people non black dressed just like they were previously dressed.
    huey
  • 2stepz_ahead2stepz_ahead Who I am is Complex, What i am, simply put. I'm a Threat walking out the lions denPosts: 17,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    problem is....most white people dont want blacks in first class.

they want to feel superior unless you have a suit on and that somehow makes they at ease.

i stay wearing my black 49ers hoodie and jeans.
  • Matt-Matt- Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    they were using buddy passes. so they were airline employees, or received the passes reserved for employees. If the Airline has a dress code policy for people using the buddy passes, then they are ok. If not, then i'm flying Delta
    Lurker6
    i never seen someone using buddy passes in first class.

thats would stop people from upgrading and block potential profit or a frequent flyer
  • deadeyedeadeye Old Nigga Extraordinaire In my basement fapping to chunky fat Kat pics.Posts: 13,395 ✭✭✭✭✭
    deadeye wrote: »
    pralims wrote: »

"We hold employees to a dress policy," said Landau, which includes those traveling on employee passes, but, "We do not have a dress code for passengers."

They were employees...not passengers.

Therefore, they don't really have a case.

They were not employees, they were passengers who got the passes from an employee. There for that rule shouldn't or doesn't apply to them. Or they should have received warning from when they picked up their passes.

Even still, the employee who gave them the passes should've told them about the dress code.

If the employee wasn't aware of the dress code, it's still his/her fault for not knowing the dress code policy and how it applies to anyone they give passes to.

The whole thing sounds like some kind of premeditated ploy to set the airline up for a lawsuit.

Shit just seems suspect.

• Trollio Trollio Trollololololololololol Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

"We hold employees to a dress policy," said Landau, which includes those traveling on employee passes, but, "We do not have a dress code for passengers."

They were not employees, they were passengers who got the passes from an employee. There for that rule shouldn't or doesn't apply to them. Or they should have received warning from when they picked up their passes.

Even still, the employee who gave them the passes should've told them about the dress code.

If the employee wasn't aware of the dress code, it's still his/her fault for not knowing the dress code policy and how it applies to anyone they give passes to.

The whole thing sounds like some kind of premeditated ploy to set the airline up for a lawsuit.

Shit just seems suspect.
    Should all employees know the dress code? Seeing they had to pick up their ticket/passes, they should have been told so then, right?
  • TheGambinoLegacyTheGambinoLegacy Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭
    if you want to dress like an animal go sit below with the cargo.
    KingFreemanMatt-twatgettaCincoCashmoneyDuxdamnkpTHIRDSUPREMELUClEN
  • Elzo69RenaissanceElzo69Renaissance I was once in a barbershop quartet in Skokie, IL LA, CAPosts: 31,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know that at United ..until last year u couldn't use a buddy pass if u were not dressed business casual..
    deadeyeLurker6nujerz84
    kai_valya wrote: »

that doesn't make a difference tho, if those passes are for employees or whoever the employees give them to. the airline has the right to ask that anyone with those passes dress in a specific way. the person who gave them the passes should've told them the rules

Somewhere threw those many check points it should have been caught by an employee. After all the do look at the boarding passes at every stop.
  • MARIO_DROMARIO_DRO Posts: 12,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IF YOU USE A JUMPSEAT OR BUDDY PASS, YOU ARE SUPPOSE TO DRESS IN SLACKS, KHAKIS, BUTTON UPS, ETC.. SHYT LIKE THAT... IVE FLOWN JUMPSEAT PLENTY OF TIMES...NOW, IM SURE MOST OF THE FLIGHT ATTENDENTS DONT CARE, BUT THOSE ARE THE RULES.. THEY DONT HAVE A CASE....
    deadeyeLurker6nujerz84
  • Matt-Matt- Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if you just good the dress code for flying w/ a buddy pass, pretty much everything says the airlines require a certain attire
  • twatgettatwatgetta Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dumb niggers. shame on em. wearing hoodies in first class. And we wonder why society keep fuckin' with us??
    DarkRaidenTHIRDSUPREMEAlready Home_17MrSoutCityGhost313
  • Elzo69RenaissanceElzo69Renaissance I was once in a barbershop quartet in Skokie, IL LA, CAPosts: 31,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hold up how did get first class on a buddy pass, it s hard as shit to get first class on a buddy pass..
  • twatgettatwatgetta Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Top Cat wrote: »
    Racist

Nigga if it was you, I would make your punk ass GET OFF the gotdamn plane, fucka a hoodie.
    He should have flown United lol, they no longer have the dress code for buddy passes...
    edited April 2013
    twatgetta wrote: »
    Dumb niggers. shame on em. wearing hoodies in first class. And we wonder why society keep fuckin' with us??

like i said i do it all the time....the fukk is wrong with it?

so its first class....so what.

do you dress up to buy a car? it doesnt mean shit right.
  • deadeyedeadeye Old Nigga Extraordinaire In my basement fapping to chunky fat Kat pics.Posts: 13,395 ✭✭✭✭✭

According to the lawsuit, last August, the Warrens were heading from Denver to Los Angeles after attending a relative's funeral. At the ticket counter, a US Airways employee told the passengers that they would have to change into a button-up shirt, slacks, and take off their baseball caps before they could board first-class.
    kai_valya wrote: »

that doesn't make a difference tho, if those passes are for employees or whoever the employees give them to. the airline has the right to ask that anyone with those passes dress in a specific way. the person who gave them the passes should've told them the rules

Somewhere threw those many check points it should have been caught by an employee. After all the do look at the boarding passes at every stop.

It was.

Lurker6
  • Trollio Trollio Trollololololololololol Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    twatgetta wrote: »
    Top Cat wrote: »
    Racist

Nigga if it was you, I would make your punk ass GET OFF the gotdamn plane, fucka a hoodie.

You show like quoting me
    I can not be your stepfather young man
    They only have a case if they can prove that the other passengers were on a buddy pass also
    deadeyeValentinez A. Kaiser