YOU MONKEY” MOM OUTRAGED AFTER WHITE TEACHER CALLS DAUGHTER A MONKEY

ImTheKangRoundHereImTheKangRoundHere Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2013 in For The Grown & Sexy
black-spider-monkey.jpg

Evil_Monkey_301.gif

Minutes into the school day last Thursday, Deborah Perkins got a disturbing phone call from her 12-year-old daughter.
“She was almost to tears on the phone,” recalled Perkins.

Perkins’ daughter admitted she was talking during the morning announcements at JHS 234, which is not allowed, but it was the teacher’s attempt to quiet her down that struck a nerve.

“She told me, ‘My teacher called me and asked me if I was a monkey.’ She was, humiliated,” said Perkins holding back tears. A young black girl, humiliated, says Perkins, by her white teacher in front of her entire 7th grade class. “That evening, I had a conversation with my child, telling my child she is beautiful, and she said ‘No, Miss thinks I’m a monkey. I look like a monkey,’” said Perkins, seen below.

Screen-shot-2013-04-17-at-11.06.30-AM.png

Perkins met with the teacher and the assistant principal and demanded the teacher be reprimanded. “It’s a racist word, it’s a racist question. Even if the teacher feels that, I didn’t mean it that way,” said Perkins. “She told me, ‘My teacher called me and asked me if I was a monkey,’ said Deborah Perkins, the mother of the student.

Screen-shot-2013-04-17-at-12.03.28-PM.png

Perkins says all she got was half-hearted apology. So, she contacted longtime community activist Tony Abbott who told PIX 11, “We have a lot of great teachers in our school system but this we cannot have. We cannot have an individual who is so insensitive to the culture of another person to call them a monkey. So what we are asking the DOE (Department of Education) is she has to lose this job. Send her back to get re-educated somewhere else and not in the public school system in New York City.”

As school let out, we tried to talk with the school principal about the incident who said, “It was reported to the Special Commissioner Office and it’s pending disciplinary action.”

When PIX 11 asked if this incident surprised her or concerned her, Principal Susan Schaeffer answered, “I can’t comment.” The Department of Education would not release the name of the teacher involved in the incident, saying the case is under investigation.

amenhotepiv

Replies

• CeLLaR-DooRCeLLaR-DooR Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2013
    Need to hear the teacher's side of the story before I can comment*
    iKingGodGivBizCashmoneyDux
  • VIBEVIBE Aww! It's a new day, yes, it is! Posts: 42,467 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I call my kids monkeys/animals all the time.
    Meta_ConsciousSleepwalkingInJapanMuhannadsoul rattleramenhotepiv
  • The Lonious MonkThe Lonious Monk Man with No Fucks Given Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These parents need to toughen their kids up. How are you in 7th grade crying over some shit like that? Either suck it up or cuss the teacher out, but don't be taking that shit to heart.
    KingFreemanTHIRDSUPREMEpurpngoldgnsFocal PointCashmoneyDuxCopper
  • Ghost313Ghost313 Mistah Don't Play Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gotta hear full story. No need for crying though. I always talked shit to my teachers though.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQUtCkH7HFLvl2H260jB9Ytbv5C5cViAUE6IYjLmVngi_tUPTHsLQ

This guy sees nothing wrong with the teacher's comments.
    blackgod813
  • Drew_AliDrew_Ali Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Monkey-ass niggas...........

• Lurker6Lurker6 Posts: 4,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    teacher didnt call her a monkey, simply asked her if she was one. and i'm sure the teacher meant it to the effect that a wild monkey doesnt know not to talk during the announcement, but she should know better.

People like this that try to have a damn march to the white house over small stuff like this make it harder on other people of color
    VIBEdamnkpCashmoneyDuxzombie
  • 7figz7figz Ig'nant Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So nothing is wrong with the teacher calling the girl a monkey huh? Bet I'd that girl had of turned around and call the teacher a bitch the blame would have went to the mother. Some girls are sensitive at that age and you can't be calling chicks out of their name like that. The girl admitted to her mother she was out of line for talking during the announcement Until called by the teacher.

Agreed, the teacher was out of bounds on that shit.
  • Tymoney19Tymoney19 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I need proof that the lil girl didn't look like a monkey.
    Ghost313blackgod813
  • The Lonious MonkThe Lonious Monk Man with No Fucks Given Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lurker6 wrote: »
    teacher didnt call her a monkey, simply asked her if she was one. and i'm sure the teacher meant it to the effect that a wild monkey doesnt know not to talk during the announcement, but she should know better.

People like this that try to have a damn march to the white house over small stuff like this make it harder on other people of color

This. Shit was a common saying when I was in school. Teachers would say that to kids regardless of race. Never once did anybody cry about it, and that's when we were in elementary school. This girl is in 7th grade, so she's what, between 12 and 14. I'm sorry. She's too old to take that shit that hard. Even if it was some racist shit.
    KingFreemanTHIRDSUPREMEgnsFocal PointLurker6
    edited April 2013
    Fuck that. Teenagers are probably assholes, but teachers are supposed to be more professional.

Matter of fact, I remember teachers saying shit like that in elementary in a harmless, 'cutesy' type of way - but what the fuck would be the reason to say that to a 7th grader ?

She ain't have to cry about it, but the teacher used a poor choice of words. It may / may not have been racist but at the very least, she called the student stupid.
    VulcanRaven
  • Allah_U_AkbarAllah_U_Akbar Posts: 9,045 Regulator
    Thread title is misleading.

Teacher didn't call the little hoodrat heathen a monkey.

The teacher asked this brat (according to the little brat, herself) if she "was a monkey".

I'm guessing this little clown was probably "monkey-ing" around and refusing to shut her mouth.

I'm also guessing that a lot of her story had elements taken outta context and blown outta proportion.

I'm also guessing she's being raised by a single mother.

I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

Lurker6Inglewood_B
    Fam what if she was behavin' like a monkey in class? Like throwin' shit around, not sittin' down and tryna be a clown and whatnot?
    edited April 2013
    Fam what if she was behavin' like a monkey in class? Like throwin' shit around, not sittin' down and tryna be a clown and whatnot?

If she was throwin' shit and scratchin her underarms and pounding the desk with both hands, then she might get a pass.

Real talk - this could be a non-situation (besides the teacher's lack of professionalism), but I wouldn't put it past some of these white folk.
    CeLLaR-DooRKingFreemanblackgod813
  • Focal PointFocal Point Kushite descent... wandering child from Meru of Old TrentonPosts: 14,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only one side of the story eh... *reserves judgement*
  • zombiezombie Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2013
    Once again a bunch of house niggers on the I.C

If a dirty bitch calls a little black girl a monkey

CUT her fucking head off, no need to reserve judgement or hear the other side of the stoy
    Lurker6THIRDSUPREME
  • 700700 Praying 5 times a day to catch a plug Plap City, FLAPosts: 11,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    like paul mooney said

call my child a monkey, imma be waitin on you in the parkin lot in a monkey suit and imma beat the shit out yo ass
    THIRDSUPREME
  • VulcanRavenVulcanRaven Rise from the ashes MarylandPosts: 15,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

No the teacher was wrong because she is the adult and should lead by example instead of causing a scene and embarrassing the girl. All the teacher had to do was tell her to stop talking or to leave the class until she is ready to be quiet. Some of these teachers are not qualified to deal with children. Who does not and has not talked in class when they were not supposed to? We re social creatures.
    Young StefzombieKaiblackgod813
  • Lurker6Lurker6 Posts: 4,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

No the teacher was wrong because she is the adult and should lead by example instead of causing a scene and embarrassing the girl. All the teacher had to do was tell her to stop talking or to leave the class until she is ready to be quiet. Some of these teachers are not qualified to deal with children. Who does not and has not talked in class when they were not supposed to? We re social creatures.

kinda agree with you.......but sometimes u gotta embarrass those lil monsters a lil
    Focal Point

All well and good sayin' this. But when I was in school, weak willed teachers got absolutely terrorised. Tell me to leave the class and I'd take my coat. She/he wouldn't see me again. If you're a bitch nigga teacher, askin' the kid to be quiet just will not work.

Lurker6
  • THIRDSUPREMETHIRDSUPREME Still Coon Killa.... Nigga Home of the SlavesPosts: 5,657 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is so God Damn hard to understand? You can not just say anything to black people? Pick another animal (monkey) choose another food (fried chicken and watermelon). Or deal with ass whoopins, getting fired, and shit like that.
    Focal Point7figzCeLLaR-DooR
  • Trollio Trollio Trollololololololololol Posts: 21,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ajackson ass coon
    7figz