China Calls US On Racism & Hypocrisy

BEIJING (Reuters) - China accused the United States on Sunday of spying on its own citizens, discriminating against women and ethnic minorities and allowing gun crime to run out of control, in Beijing's annual rebuttal to Washington's criticism of its rights record.

The U.S. government's yearly survey of human rights around the world issued last week said that repression and coercion in China were routine, especially for rights activists and people living in Tibet and the heavily Muslim region of Xinjiang.

In a lengthy report issued by the official Xinhua news agency, China said the United States would do better to deal with its own problems than lambaste others as it had no right to be a "world judge".

"As in previous years, the reports are full of carping and irresponsible remarks on the human rights situation in more than 190 countries and regions including China," Beijing said.

"However, the U.S. turned a blind eye to its own woeful human rights situation and never said a word about it."


The report, without a hint of irony in acknowledging China's sprawling domestic security and intelligence apparatus, took the United States to task for spying on its own citizens, pointing to a 2012 bill that "authorizes warrantless wiretapping".

Federal law enforcement agencies are increasingly monitoring Americans' communications, the report said, referencing documents collected by the American Civil Liberties Union. The National Security Agency eavesdrops on phone calls and intercepts emails, it added.

American police also "often abused their power," and more U.S. women became victims of domestic violence and sexual assault in 2012, Xinhua said.

"The lives and personal security of the United States citizens, who were haunted by serious violent crimes, were not duly protected," it added.

China's report said that the United States failed to pass gun control measures even after two high-profile mass shootings, endangering its own citizens.


Women and ethnic minorities in the United States were discriminated against too, it said.

"Religious discrimination is also rapidly on the rise, with an increase in insults and attacks against Muslims."

Human rights have long been a source of tension between the world's two largest economies, especially since 1989, when the U.S. imposed sanctions on China after a bloody crackdown on pro-democracy demonstrators around Beijing's Tiananmen Square.
«1

Replies

  • KLICHEKLICHE Posts: 2,514
    So they are using these point pretty much to say to the US Government to mind it's own business and when it comes to what China wants to do???
  • FuriousOneFuriousOne Posts: 3,515
    It's funny that they say these things when people are actually trying to fight over here against all those things. If you even attempt to speak out in China, fuck being marginalized, you going to a death camp and they may sell your organs later along with some bear bile.
  • aladdin1978aladdin1978 Posts: 2,597
    I agree with anything China has to say because they supply all us niggas with replica Jordan's, LV and Michael kors bags
  • FuriousOne wrote: »
    It's funny that they say these things when people are actually trying to fight over here against all those things. If you even attempt to speak out in China, fuck being marginalized, you going to a death camp and they may sell your organs later along with some bear bile.

    That's beside the point though. The report is aimed at the US government and legal/political infrastructure. It's irrelevant we have citizens protesting shit, if the government is still backing those things. It's also irrelevant if China is bad in those areas too. The report isn't stating that China is good and that the US is bad. It's stating that the US should quit wasting time judging others when it has it's own problems.

    Hell this line is all that needs to be said:
    In a lengthy report issued by the official Xinhua news agency, China said the United States would do better to deal with its own problems than lambaste others as it had no right to be a "world judge".

    I agree 100%. Why are we releasing reports on Human Rights in other countries as if we don't still have police beating people down in the street, people being denied rights because of sexual orientation, and persistent discrimination because of race, gender, ethnicity, and class. Shit like that is stupid. It's the same with the fact that we put so much money into feeding people in other countries but let foot is surplus storages spoil before giving it to the poor and hungry in our own country.
  • Billy_PonchoBilly_Poncho Posts: 14,419
    Them niggas on the western half of China ain't eatin, eventually they gonna get tired of makin a dollar a day off rice paddies....
  • janklowjanklow Posts: 5,512
    edited April 2013
    some of this is bullshit, though, particularly the parts about gun crime and religious discrimination being on the rise. the latter is apparently the government stating the US should be preventing assholes from saying the kind of stuff that assholes say, while i am pretty sure the US has never demanded China start making Chinese assholes be banned from running THEIR mouths. the gun part is also not paralleled by anything that would give China the grounds to say "hey, pot calling the kettle black."

    EDIT: apparently this hurt the feelings of @prop joe. tragic
  • RodrigueZz wrote: »
    Tu Quoque fallacy at its finest

    No it's not. Well not really. To be a Tu Quoque fallacy, China would have to be implying that the U.S. was wrong in its assertion because it was a hypocrite.

    They aren't really saying that the U.S. is wrong. They are just saying that the U.S. doesn't have the right to judge anyone.

    I love logic, but I hate when people just throw out these logical fallacies as if that's the end all be all. No the U.S. being hypocritical doesn't mean that China doesn't have terrible human's rights problems. The converse is also true though. The U.S. being right about China's terrible human's rights problems doesn't mean that the U.S. is not being hypocritical.
  • wharwhar Posts: 302
    The US publishes a report showing China's human rights violations.

    China responds with a report showing US violations.

    Given that sequence it sure seems to be a Tu Quoque. According to most web site I pursued the following is a Tu Quoque

    Person A makes claim X.
    Person B asserts that A's actions or past claims are inconsistent with the truth of claim X.
    Therefore X is false.

    Since China published these allegations in the rebuttal to the US report on China's human rights violation it seems to meet all the requirements. If China had published this report separately 6 months after the US report I would agree that it would not be a fallacy but as a rebuttal it seems a clear cut one.
  • whar wrote: »
    The US publishes a report showing China's human rights violations.

    China responds with a report showing US violations.

    Given that sequence it sure seems to be a Tu Quoque. According to most web site I pursued the following is a Tu Quoque

    Person A makes claim X.
    Person B asserts that A's actions or past claims are inconsistent with the truth of claim X.
    Therefore X is false.

    Since China published these allegations in the rebuttal to the US report on China's human rights violation it seems to meet all the requirements. If China had published this report separately 6 months after the US report I would agree that it would not be a fallacy but as a rebuttal it seems a clear cut one.

    Nope, because, unless I missed it, nowhere in China's report did they assert the bold. Again, the point of the report was not to say that the facts in US report were wrong. Again, the main point of the Chinese report was:
    China said the United States would do better to deal with its own problems than lambaste others as it had no right to be a "world judge".

    Therefore that fallacy does not apply. China is not using its report to further a debate on its own human rights policies. It's using it's report to open a debate on the worthiness of the US to point fingers at anyone when it comes to human rights.
  • wharwhar Posts: 302
    If you have access to the original report then you are in a better position than I, however the cited article states " in Beijing's annual rebuttal to Washington's criticism of its rights record."

    My understanding of that word would meet the threshold of "X is false."
  • kingblaze84kingblaze84 Posts: 8,456
    China ethered the shit out of America lol....we have surveillance just as expansive as China, lock people up all the time without charges, and indefinite detention is taking place on a regular basis here. The one thing America has over China is that people here can speak up against the govt without real fear of being locked up, while China cracks down hard on those who speak up against the govt.

    America is not and never was a place that has a great human rights record.
  • kingblaze84kingblaze84 Posts: 8,456
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    "However, the U.S. turned a blind eye to its own woeful human rights situation and never said a word about it."

    Never said a word? For real? lol yeah ok.

    From what I understand, a forum thread criticizing the gov't in China will be deleted by the mods because they don't wanna get the site in trouble. Ya'll know damn well everyday Americans would be ready to Che Guevara ride on niggas if the U.S Gov't ever dreamed of trying PRC level censorship. (internet porn blocked? IEDs EVERYWHERE) My favorite is how they just declare whole subjects "taboo". The sheer balls of that. Like that's it, no talking about this, ever, period. Really try to picture American Government goin' "DON'T TALK ABOUT OR COMMEMORATE OCCUPY WALL STREET OR WE'LL PUT YOU PRISON".

    Let me know when the Chinese film industry is allowed to produce a film criticizing the government and mocking its fuckups.

    Good points. I don't see an Occupy Wall Street movement ever taking place in China. They would kill or lock up the leaders within a week.
  • TrashboatTrashboat Posts: 14,386
    edited April 2013
    RodrigueZz wrote: »
    Tu Quoque fallacy at its finest

    No it's not. Well not really. To be a Tu Quoque fallacy, China would have to be implying that the U.S. was wrong in its assertion because it was a hypocrite.

    They aren't really saying that the U.S. is wrong. They are just saying that the U.S. doesn't have the right to judge anyone.

    I love logic, but I hate when people just throw out these logical fallacies as if that's the end all be all. No the U.S. being hypocritical doesn't mean that China doesn't have terrible human's rights problems. The converse is also true though. The U.S. being right about China's terrible human's rights problems doesn't mean that the U.S. is not being hypocritical.

    It is a clear tu quo que fallacy. America's transgressions do not invalidate China's. China tried to play the hypocrisy defense which is fallacious as it does not refute the validity of the claim, it simply tries to discredit the claim maker.
    In a tu quoque argument, the arguer points out that the opponent has actually done the thing he or she is arguing against, and so the opponent’s argument shouldn’t be listened to. Here’s an example: imagine that your parents have explained to you why you shouldn’t smoke, and they’ve given a lot of good reasons—the damage to your health, the cost, and so forth. You reply, “I won’t accept your argument, because you used to smoke when you were my age. You did it, too!” The fact that your parents have done the thing they are condemning has no bearing on the premises they put forward in their argument (smoking harms your health and is very expensive), so your response is fallacious.
    http://writingcenter.unc.edu/handouts/fallacies/
  • jonojono Posts: 14,929
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    "However, the U.S. turned a blind eye to its own woeful human rights situation and never said a word about it."

    Never said a word? For real? lol yeah ok.

    From what I understand, a forum thread criticizing the gov't in China will be deleted by the mods because they don't wanna get the site in trouble. Ya'll know damn well everyday Americans would be ready to Che Guevara ride on niggas if the U.S Gov't ever dreamed of trying PRC level censorship. (internet porn blocked? IEDs EVERYWHERE) My favorite is how they just declare whole subjects "taboo". The sheer balls of that. Like that's it, no talking about this, ever, period. Really try to picture American Government goin' "DON'T TALK ABOUT OR COMMEMORATE OCCUPY WALL STREET OR WE'LL PUT YOU PRISON".

    Let me know when the Chinese film industry is allowed to produce a film criticizing the government and mocking its fuckups.

    Good points. I don't see an Occupy Wall Street movement ever taking place in China. They would kill or lock up the leaders within a week.

    The US would have as well if they had formal leadership. OWS was brutalized in every city it appeared from NYC to Oakland.
  • UndefeatableUndefeatable Posts: 1,115
    America is far from perfect, but as far as human rights go I'd rather live here than in China.
  • kingblaze84kingblaze84 Posts: 8,456
    jono wrote: »
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    "However, the U.S. turned a blind eye to its own woeful human rights situation and never said a word about it."

    Never said a word? For real? lol yeah ok.

    From what I understand, a forum thread criticizing the gov't in China will be deleted by the mods because they don't wanna get the site in trouble. Ya'll know damn well everyday Americans would be ready to Che Guevara ride on niggas if the U.S Gov't ever dreamed of trying PRC level censorship. (internet porn blocked? IEDs EVERYWHERE) My favorite is how they just declare whole subjects "taboo". The sheer balls of that. Like that's it, no talking about this, ever, period. Really try to picture American Government goin' "DON'T TALK ABOUT OR COMMEMORATE OCCUPY WALL STREET OR WE'LL PUT YOU PRISON".

    Let me know when the Chinese film industry is allowed to produce a film criticizing the government and mocking its fuckups.

    Good points. I don't see an Occupy Wall Street movement ever taking place in China. They would kill or lock up the leaders within a week.

    The US would have as well if they had formal leadership. OWS was brutalized in every city it appeared from NYC to Oakland.

    That's a great point OWS had their tent cities destroyed by cities across America, not much different compared to what China would have done. I guess there is no difference between China and America minus it's abortion and pollution laws.

    Then again, Obama and Congress might agree to build the Keystone Pipeline, which would definitely cause massive pollution in the long and maybe even short term. Chemical and oil spills would be inevitable in cities all over so I'm really starting to wonder what the REAL difference between China and America is...
«1
Sign In or Register to comment.