Name A Great Film No One Else Seems To Know About

stonefacestoneface Posts: 2,491
edited May 2013 in Lights, Camera, Action!
Drop a film that you think is great that seems like no one you know or have spoken to has ever seen or even heard of. I mean even lower than underrated status.

thief2-560x353.jpg

If you have Netflix Instant, I recommend this "lost Michael Mann film". Dope movie that no one seems to know about.

Replies

• nawledge_godnawledge_god Posts: 2,520
    Co-Sign Thief...James Caan Was A Beast in That

My Picks:

Jacob's Ladder
    Session 9
    Little Odessa
    Copland
  • herbalism101herbalism101 Posts: 1,071
    6 Ways Til Sunday
    Once Were Warriors
    The Aggression Scale
  • Lou CypherLou Cypher Posts: 19,339
    Im sure a lot of yall know about this movie. But not a lot of folks i know in real life are up on it.

MV5BMjA4ODQ3ODkzNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwOTc4NDI3._V1_SX214_.jpg

Just caught it on Starz the other day, great fucking film man.
  • lamontbdclamontbdc Posts: 14,873
    edited May 2013
    i head bout city of god but never seen it i'm look out for that
    lamontbdc wrote: »

Its a film with subtitles the entire film, its well worth it tho, def in my top 20 films ever.
  • stonefacestoneface Posts: 2,491
    silverfoxx wrote: »
    The Lovely Bones is AMAZING.

Yeah, this movie was damn good.
    Co-Sign Thief...James Caan Was A Beast in That

My Picks:

Jacob's Ladder
    Session 9
    Little Odessa
    Copland

Yeah, Caan murdered that role. Jacob's Ladder and Session 9 were the shit. It's easy to see their influence on the Japanese Silent Hill games.

• Max.Max. Posts: 13,595
    transsiberian - movie about 2 couples that meet up on a train going on the transsiberial railroad. one couple is involved in shady shit & gets the other couple caught up in a drug trade in russia. ben kingsley, woody harrelson, kate mara are in it.

take shelter - man has apocalyptic visions & he gets obsessed with building with storm shelter for his family. michael shannon (nelson van alden) & jessica chastain in it.

mississippi masala - older denzel movie where he starts dating this indian (dot) chick whose family moved there from uganda after idi amin took over & they clash cultures.

half nelson - one of ryan gosling's first movies. he's an inner city middle school teacher who happens to be on drugs/depressed. he starts up a relationship with a black female student (no pedo) & they help each other out through their issues.

Take shelter trailer looks goat
  • Max.Max. Posts: 13,595
  • lazypakmanlazypakman Posts: 1,577
    edited May 2013
    Lou Cypher wrote: »

Its a film with subtitles the entire film, its well worth it tho, def in my top 20 films ever.

if you didn't know,there's a sequel of sorts (more a spin off) called City Of Men,well worth watching if you can find it
    transsiberian - movie about 2 couples that meet up on a train going on the transsiberial railroad. one couple is involved in shady shit & gets the other couple caught up in a drug trade in russia. ben kingsley, woody harrelson, kate mara are in it.

take shelter - man has apocalyptic visions & he gets obsessed with building with storm shelter for his family. michael shannon (nelson van alden) & jessica chastain in it.

mississippi masala - older denzel movie where he starts dating this indian (dot) chick whose family moved there from uganda after idi amin took over & they clash cultures.

half nelson - one of ryan gosling's first movies. he's an inner city middle school teacher who happens to be on drugs/depressed. he starts up a relationship with a black female student (no pedo) & they help each other out through their issues.

good choices, i seen all of these aside from the denzel flick,Take Shelter was one of my favorite films of last year,Shannon was beasting in that film.im looking forward to 'Mud' by the same director,heard great things about it.

a couple of choice picks

The Believer - Ryan Gosling plays a young jewish man who gets into neo-nazism.i don't think i need to say much more.

Animal Kingdom - follows the story of a 17 year old Australian kid who has to deal with being in a criminal family and all the shit that comes with it.

Worlds Greatest Dad - can't really say much about this one,its a (very) black comedy directed by Bobcat Goldthwait (the shrieking one from police academy) and stars Robin Williams as a teacher who has a little shit of a son and it kinda goes from there.

and i have to rep Korean cinema since its the shit.

Crying fist - great boxing film that stars choi min-sik (the dude who plays oldboy) as a former silver medalist boxer reduced to being a human punching bag on the streets,with a parallel story about a young delinquent man who ends up in prison and how their paths collide.shit gets emotional son.
  • playmaker88playmaker88 Posts: 40,979
    edited May 2013
    Manic
    The United States of Leland these movies are about crazy cracka ass cracka teenagers.. one is with Ryan Gosling i believe.. both star Don Cheadle

Tae guk Gi
    was actually flipping between this and one of the playoff games this was great.. its about two Korean brothers getting shuffled into war.. and their journey
    lazypakman wrote: »
    Lou Cypher wrote: »

if you didn't know,there's a sequel of sorts (more a spin off) called City Of Men,well worth watching if you can find it

good choices, i seen all of these aside from the denzel flick,Take Shelter was one of my favorite films of last year,Shannon was beasting in that film.im looking forward to 'Mud' by the same director,heard great things about it.

a couple of choice picks

The Believer - Ryan Gosling plays a young jewish man who gets into neo-nazism.i don't think i need to say much more.

Animal Kingdom - follows the story of a 17 year old Australian kid who has to deal with being in a criminal family and all the shit that comes with it.

Worlds Greatest Dad - can't really say much about this one,its a (very) black comedy directed by Bobcat Goldthwait (the shrieking one from police academy) and stars Robin Williams as a teacher who has a little shit of a son and it kinda goes from there.

and i have to rep Korean cinema since its the shit.

Crying fist - great boxing film that stars choi min-sik (the dude who plays oldboy) as a former silver medalist boxer reduced to being a human punching bag on the streets,with a parallel story about a young delinquent man who ends up in prison and how their paths collide.shit gets emotional son.

Worlds greatest dad is a good ass movie. Its Sad and funny at the same time. Like Super sad tho lol.
  • s.frees.free Posts: 4,573
    Manic
    The United States of Leland these movies are about crazy cracka ass cracka teenagers.. one is with Ryan Gosling i believe.. both star Don Cheadle

Tae guk Gi
    was actually flipping between this and one of the playoff games this was great.. its about two Korean brothers getting shuffled into war.. and their journey

Word. I was just gonna come post that. My Korean boy put me onto that. Dope movie. Had me in my feelings by then end of it.

A next great Korean film is Chingu (friend) one of my all time favs

Full movie

• dontdiedontkillanyondontdiedontkillanyon Posts: 5,188
    edited May 2013
    Love Exposure

love_exposure_japan.jpg

Overlong, ridiculously melodramatic and completely ridiculous, yet an absolutely delirious and brilliant film. I spent a night with a can of Red Bull watching this, and 4 hours and 20 minutes later I was just left completely blown away by it. Amazing film.

The Skin I Live In

skinIlive.jpg

Loved the film so much I wrote a mini review about it on here that no one bothered to read. Should have been up for Best Foreign Language Film at the Oscars when it was released.

http://community.allhiphop.com/discussion/256625/the-skin-i-live-in
  • Tymoney19Tymoney19 Posts: 1,204
    Some movies I found on netflix. Shiver (Spanish horror movie). The secret in their eyes ( Spanish thriller). The man from nowhere ( Japanese action crime thriller probably the best action movie on netflix). Foreign movies got some gems.