Due to Band Class Being Taken Out of the Public Schools, the Result is Inferior Music, Yea or Nay?

Maximus RexMaximus Rex Demmented, deranged, and diabolicalThe EmpreyanPosts: 3,981 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm telling me age a little bit, but I remember band class in elementary, junior high and high school. It was here that a lot of people (who otherwise wouldn't have gotten the chance were exposed to music and learned how to read music and learn how to play an instrument. However, do to budget cuts, band class was eliminated from a lot of the public schools and now were seeing the results. Niggas don't know how to make music. When you had band class, (I never took band, but I'm assuming that you learn something about classical music, possibly jazz, and pop standards, so you would have a frame of reference as far as arrangements and composition. Producers would take this knowledge and using in their music making regardless of the genre. Now (since band for the most part has been taken out of the public schools, niggas frame of reference is the last hot producer, now with the fruity loops shit, muthafuckas don't even have to know how to play a keyboard or program a beat machine. What do you say? Has taking band out of the public schools fucked the over all quality of music?
Roster Player #99a.mann

Replies

• Young StefYoung Stef Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes because u develop an appreciation for the various genres and the role that instruments play in the creation of music whether you play the cello or violin or are a pianist or drummer.
    Charlie_hautea.manndeadeye
  • GameChangaGameChanga Posts: 167
    Yes! Yes! Yes! People who cannot even play an instrument or compose songs being called musical geniuses! Like, how is Kanye a genius for SAMPLING??!!!
    StoneColdMikeyBawse D.Loxpurpngoldsoul rattlerRoster Player #99BarryHallsbootsy_jenkinsdeadeye
  • StoneColdMikeyStoneColdMikey I am what the people need. MIKEYFORMOD CHITOWN THE BEST TOWNPosts: 24,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    its still band classes in CPS schools...
  • Young StefYoung Stef Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @GameChanga that's true because i was never big on violins till I heard Miri ben Ari on Overnight celebrity and I understand ur point on sampling cause most people don't view it as creative compared to compositions in jazz or country or rock which are almost always original.
    GameChanga
  • NoCompetitionNoCompetition Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They still have band for elem through high in GA. I think it has to do with the budget where you live.
    jonoxxCivicxx
  • Black_SamsonBlack_Samson I drive a fast car... Posts: 48,093 Regulator
    edited May 2013
    It's all going according to plan!!!

Roster Player #99
  • Mister B.Mister B. The IC'sTeacher...learn some shit! Posts: 10,235 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very much so.

Kids today don't know simple things in music such as tempo, time signatures, modulations, etc. It's very reflective in the music today.
    Charlie_
    Young Stef wrote: »
    @GameChanga that's true because i was never big on violins till I heard Miri ben Ari on Overnight celebrity and I understand ur point on sampling cause most people don't view it as creative compared to compositions in jazz or country or rock which are almost always original.
    Only artists I will go see in person have to have actual talent. As in, Take 6, Rachelle Ferrell, I think they're considered Jazz. I love instrumental jazz and traditional jazz/blues singers. I also like the symphony orchestra and live plays. Theatrical plays (George C. Wolfe, August Wilson), not that Tyler Perry sh!t. (Though I will watch his stuff on DVD). I've been to Broadway musicals, like Les Mis, but I'm not gonna lie, I kind of hate musicals... Also if I go to a concert, it HAS to be in a small venue. You couldn't pay me to go to a stadium or Madison square garden... That's waaaay too many people for me. I *cannot* and do not f#ck with crowds of ANY kind for any reason. 8-}
  • Gold_CertificateGold_Certificate Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Music classes were probably the biggest waste of time in my childhood education.

Good riddance.
    xxCivicxx700
  • StoneColdMikeyStoneColdMikey I am what the people need. MIKEYFORMOD CHITOWN THE BEST TOWNPosts: 24,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jamel high.
    Black_Samson
  • Allah_U_AkbarAllah_U_Akbar Posts: 8,820 Regulator
    There's always been inferior music.... But, today, it's worse than ever before in the history of mankind.

GameChangaatribecalledgabiCharlie_Roster Player #99
  • Judah BackJudah Back Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They took band class out of schools?
    StoneColdMikey
    edited May 2013
    Music classes were probably the biggest waste of time in my childhood education.

Good riddance.
    Cosign. Music class was WOAT.

Teacher: Okay class, we will now play "Mary Had a Little Lamb" on the xylophone.
    Gold_Certificate: [Thinking] Bitch, I could stab you through the heart with this...
    Gold_Certificate: *Looks down at one of the little stick things used to play the xylophone*
    Gold_Certificate: [Thinking]..this.......
    Gold_Certificate: *Holds up the little stick thing for a closer look*
    Gold_Certificate: *Puzzled*
    Gold_Certificate: [Thinking] I don't know what this is, but I want to kill you with it.
    Gold_Certificate: *Plays "Mary Had a Little Lamb"*
    Skyler WhiteCharlie_700deadeyeblakfyahking
    @Gold_Certificate If that's all you did, then YEAH, that sucked... We did entire musicals/plus marching band. I learned a few instruments from elementary to high school. I also was cast as Deena in Dreamgirls in high school. My musical/vocal director was a BEAST. Had me practicing/holding notes like it we was on Broadway. I loved playing in the orchestra pit during shows. That sh!t was GOAT. Complete and total shenanigans and damn near invisible to the audience.
    Charlie_
  • jonojono Right fist = power, left fist = unity Posts: 19,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Music breeds creativity, creativity comes from free-thinking and being willing to challenge the status quo. All great musicians challenged the status quo and were free spirits...which means they weren't pawns and followers.

To me that's why music was always the first thing cut from budgets. To prevent kids from having creative outlets.

I feel the same way about how we strayed from encouraging people to be poets and writers as well.
    GameChanga
    GameChanga wrote: »
    @Gold_Certificate If that's all you did, then YEAH, that sucked... We did entire musicals/plus marching band. I learned a few instruments from elementary to high school. I also was cast as Deena in Dreamgirls in high school. My musical/vocal director was a BEAST. Had me practicing/holding notes like it we was on Broadway. I loved playing in the orchestra pit during shows. That sh!t was GOAT. Complete and total shenanigans and damn near invisible to the audience.
    XkgTEx1.jpg

That sounds terrible.

I suppose I may have been fortunate.
    TheIraqGameChanga
    @jono Very true... Music also uses the same part of the brain as mathematics.... and uplifting. Creativity helps people to become self actualized. You'll never hear a foreigner say, "I'm not good at math."
  • Trollio Trollio Trollololololololololol Posts: 21,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if you never played pencil break with drum sticks you missing out

band class da goat
    Roster Player #99
    GameChanga wrote: »
    XkgTEx1.jpg

That sounds terrible.

I suppose I may have been fortunate.
    I suppose you were...
    lmao-o.gif
  • jay83jay83 Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marching band members were always a strange bunch.

Between them and the theatre/culture club Im not sure who were the stranger of the bunch.

Besides without band,how will football teams win games at the last minute?

GameChangadeadeye
  • soul rattlersoul rattler Chief Petty Officer of the Ill Community Naval Command HOOYAHPosts: 14,091 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Less bands, the less we get to see the type of stuff in my sig.
    waterproofalmighty breezedeadeye
    jay83 wrote: »
    Marching band members were always a strange bunch.

Between them and the theatre/culture club Im not sure who were the stranger of the bunch.

Besides without band,how will football teams win games at the last minute?

I agree. The dudes in the band were peculiar. But I'm not a judgmental, insufferable socially awkward person, so I pretty much got along with lots of different people. Plus I was an athlete and a scholar, so I was very well rounded.
    jay83
    Not only music classes but the secularization of society

Most black musicians learned to play instruments & sing in church

Kids aren't going to church like that anymore so the talent isn't being passed on
    Ironically, I only sang in church. I had no idea that musicians in Black churches got PAID for that sh!t. I would have gladly played for FREE. Those negros was NOT trying to let me f@ck up they hustle.
    jay83Young Stef