When did thug-ish get played out?

KellmillKellmill Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
Right now I'm sitting here, watching Belly (classic), and wondering when did rappers stop putting so much influence on portraying "thug life" in their music? I mean, of course the shit isn't completely played out, but back when I was growing up it seemed like most rappers were heavy on gangsterism. For instance, the so-called "leaders of the new school" like Cole, Kendrick, Wale, Drake, are not really on that shit to a heavy degree. Most of the shit is about selling drugs, but not killing niggas per say. I kinda think it was right around when College Dropout dropped, and kinda stole 50 cent's shine a little bit. What do you think?

Replies

• KellmillKellmill Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Word, they are really basing it off preconceived notions I guess. Hip hop is more similar now to how it was when it first started, with heavy influence on partying and having a good time
    Paul Hate.CirocObamaJabu_Rule
  • Peezy_JenkinsPeezy_Jenkins Artist/Producer #Hustlin #VegasLights Posts: 16,338 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i guess when it became cooler to just be yourself
    CirocObamadwade206
  • Wild SelfWild Self Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zigefresh wrote: »
    Around 2005-2006 once Kanyes influence started infiltrating into rap.

By 2008-2009 it was a complete wrap.

pretty much correct. Blame Obama for the complete death of thug rap. Glad that it did, cause it held black kids back since the late 80s imo. It also became corny at the time people figured out that type of life didn't mean anything and led most people being broke and dead.
    NoCompetition
  • Disciplined InSightDisciplined InSight The Clairvoyant One.... Posts: 12,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Kanye came in the door..

But what's so funny about it the predecessors like The Native Tongues family weren't on that thug shit back then neither it was more prevalent during that era, i.e. The West with N.W.A. MC Eiht, Ice Cube, Spice 1 etc.

So if I can take a logical and critical guess I'll say 50 Cent killed it.
    KellmillMR.CJ
  • Paul Hate.Paul Hate. Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's gangsta rap still man.l,fucking cheif keep and Waka flocka are r and b..lol.

I think people just tired of kids acting stupid behind what some idiot ass gangsta rapper said or tries to push so it's been balanced out by swag rp and emo rap,..

I don't see gangsta rap being the dominant form again.the Internet and the bloggers be exposing these niggas daily..
    PicoWild Selfreapin505
    Kellmill wrote: »
    Word, they are really basing it off preconceived notions I guess. Hip hop is more similar now to how it was when it first started, with heavy influence on partying and having a good time

There wasn't too much message in rap until the message ..lol.ninetey percent party raps or battle raps.
    PicoKellmillCirocObamaSolitary Soldier
  • Disciplined InSightDisciplined InSight The Clairvoyant One.... Posts: 12,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's going on? I see Pico cosigning heavily with Paul Hate? lmao..
    SOWETOP-Dogg77
  • lonestarglonestarg Posts: 667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When the Gays got GLAAD and infatraded the system within and.came out in mo ways than 1! hA!
  • 32DaysOfInfiniti32DaysOfInfiniti Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    When un-thug niggas stopped getting checked for being fake

Pretty much blame Weezy, he made violence a parody in hip hop

Nobody take the shit that little nigga say serious
    MR.CJnumbaz...80's babyPiffyHaze
  • CirocObamaCirocObama Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hip-hop is a catch 22. Period.

Alotta people still have it rough, hard & are filled with anger & poverty, so we want hardcore music. Not neccessarely gangster or street music, which alot of people get it misconfused, but just honest music talking about some shit.

On the other hand hardcore music brings out alotta ignorance. Like @numbaz...80's baby said, fans are sheep. If a street rapper is poppin' tommorrow all these skinny jean niggas are gonna start switching back to baggy if that's the joint. So if a rapper talks about street things those mfs are gonna start playing those roles. Worse than that is that alotta them don't understand the context of things.

Look at Chief Keef. His fans are basically acting just like him, which isn't good. That's my point. So it's a catch 22 no matter how hip-hop moves.
  • Black_SamsonBlack_Samson I drive a fast car... Posts: 46,722 Regulator
    this isn't a fucking cycle.

you people are idiots.
    you are being herded...

you think about every movement that has ever hit music that was detrimental to the vision of White America/Britain.

still seem like a fucking cycle? or MKUltra?
    RawAce9TRAY
    edited July 2013
    Theodis wrote: »
    this isn't a fucking cycle.

you people are idiots.
    you are being herded...

you think about every movement that has ever hit music that was detrimental to the vision of White America/Britain.

still seem like a fucking cycle? or MKUltra?

Really? Are we still talking about hip hop or white ppl music?

So rappers werent rocking fitted jeans and "non-violent rap" wasnt selling the most records in the 80s?

im talking all music in general.

anything that doesn't fit the agenda is removed like a cancer.

it is not trends, it's is not popularity, it is mind control, plain and simple.

• MasterALFrankMasterALFrank product of my environment bitch country.Posts: 10,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rick ross tried to bring it back
    numbaz...80's babyWeazel
    i disagree... we moving face towards cursing monitors being every 20 feet... a la Demolition Man.
    Wild Self
    When rap started it wasn't even called hip hop it was called disco rap and them cats thought they was reviving disco..look at all the homo shit them niggas used to wear.

Til run DMc them cats were on YMCA village people shit...you had some normal looking cats like busy bee and em but til run most them old nigas was fagged out.

Til the message came out these niggas wasn't saying nothing either...

killaguwopOGClarenceBoddicker
    Rap was founded on lighthearted party music freestyle and battling..basically having a good ole time.wtf gangsta rap is basically street raps or hardcore raps on steroids.

Gangsta rap will never die because rap is youth orientated and started in the streets and projects.youll always have a keef or a meek Millz around..

I don't think it will be the dominant genre again like the ninteys ever again because the people have heard it all before and because it's easier market that party rappers.

The labels been wanting to marginalized gangsta shit in rap even the labels that benefitted the most from it where quick to drop labels and acts when they were too crazy...

It's better for the kids not to be growing up in a gangster dominated culture anyways...hip hop itself is street and urban doesn't necessarily gangster and criminal.
    MasterALFrank
    It's crazy how rap is these last six seven years.niggas like tribe and de la soul and common would be on top right now and cats like easy e and snoop dogg might be working in burger king..isn't that shit bugged out?

spit_fiya
  • KellmillKellmill Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also think about how many people you thought were really bout that life back in the day who got exposed to be nothing but frauds, nowadays if you just come out and say youre not a thug youll get more respect than someone faking the funk
    Paul Hate.
  • KrazySpadeKrazySpade Posts: 52
    i think the whole "thug" image in rap officially died out when 50 and kanye did that whole battle of sales thing.
    KellmilliKingGodGivBiz