Who are the best rappers of the last 5 years?

Replies

• WeazelWeazel Posts: 3,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kendrick Lamar
    Jay Rock
    Ab Soul
    Fashawn
    J Cole

IMO, but...where's NY?

Damn
    StoneColdMikey
  • Siqnih Da TrapperSiqnih Da Trapper Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wayne numba 8? Fuck complex with a aids dick
    Lebong Jamesqawshundwade206Michael_Malice
  • Siqnih Da TrapperSiqnih Da Trapper Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wayne numba 8? Fuck complex with a aids dick

Word he shouldn't even be close to this list

Chill
  • NothingButTheTruthNothingButTheTruth Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No order:

Black Thought
    Big KRIT
    Pusha T
    Raekwon
    Mos Def
    Meek Mill
    Lil Wayne
    Nas
    Lupe Fiasco
    Ghostface
  • WeazelWeazel Posts: 3,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh...90s/OOs MCs included?

Nas, Jay, Ghostface, Reakwon, Killah Priest etc etc
  • Lebong JamesLebong James Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭✭✭
    damn i hadn't read the list...lol at jay being 6 behind em and nikki...and also daaaayuuuummm...complex be the biggest kanye stans i know..i mean not even KTT can fuck wit em...but most of what they say its true

lol at this part

"Calling Complex "dickriders of Kanye" or whathaveyou for crowning him the best rapper of the last five years is like calling your math teacher a "dickrider of algebra" when solving for X.

2. No, whatever rapper you put in there is not the best rapper of the last five years. They just aren't. You can argue, but you're wrong.

3. The reason for this is that Kanye has done more to push the musical boundaries of rap than anyone on this list, while still maintaining what is more or less an impossibly high standard.

4. And also, actually, thanks for reading!

Let's review, shall we?

2008: Kanye releases 808s and Heartbreak, an album that takes the autotune trend of the moment to the utmost extreme, and records a heartbreaking record that involves singing, rapping, and a transformation that puts him past the realm of rapper, and singer, and producer.

2009: Kanye flips his shit at Taylor Swift, but also, basically speaks the truth. Destroys Jay-Z on "Run This Town." Crushes it on "Make Her Say" and "Kinda Like a Big Deal" and "Walkin On The Moon" and every other monster guest verse he drops that year.

2010: Kanye drops My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, indisputably one of the greatest rap records of all time, a pop masterpiece that is as vulnerable as it is bombastic, a theatrical production in every sense of the word. The art for the album is done by George Condo. The line of singles released in the lead-up to it are almost alll stunners. His VMA performance makes the actions of a passive-aggressively vengeful Taylor Swift look like those of pop music's borderline-Grand Wizard aspirant.

2011: Kanye raps on and produces Watch The Throne, the long-awaited luxury rap superalbum, featuring himself and Jay-Z, packaged inside a gilded Riccardo Ticsi box. When touring for the album, Jay and Ye would go on to play "Paris" as many as eight times in a row on some stops.

2012: Kanye releases G.O.O.D. Music's first crew album, Cruel Summer. Initially met with critical hesitation, the album eventually yields a few bangers, three of which become the summer's biggest songs ("Mercy," "Clique," and "Cold"). Oh, yeah, and kills it on "Birthday Song."

2013: Kanye releases Yeezus, a ten-track album that is utterly fucking transcendent in that it infuriates rap fans who wanted club-banger Kanye to feed them hits, and instead got Artist Kanye who made a record about telling corporate sponsorships, the government, the rap game, and anyone who wants to box him in to rightly fuck themselves. It is still the best album to come out this year, in any genre of music, let alone rap. Its collaborators range from the hardest pride of Chicago's 2013 rap scene (Chief Keef, King Louie) to his high-note go-to, Justin Vernon, to TNGHT, to Daft Punk, to Rick Rubin, to dancehall artist Assassin, and then some. Kanye first debuted songs from the album during the Met Costume Gala, and then on walls, projected, around the world. He rapped about coming on your Hamptons spouse's blouse on Saturday Night Live. He released his funniest, angriest, most artistically risk-taking and rewarding album to date. And he released it the same week his first child was born.

So where are we in 2013? Well, Jay Z is shilling for Samsung and taking dashes out of his name. Lil Wayne is still rapping about his scat fixation and cashing in on the first two years of the last five. And then there's Drake, who is undoubtedly nipping at Kanye's heels, but still lacks the sheer artistry to pass Kanye, relying on a bevy of brilliant, young, scrappy collaborators to help him do so. And not that Kanye didn't do the same thing with Yeezus, but the difference is in the people, and Drake, Jay, and Wayne don't even need more of them. Consider: Drake's only real feature on his new album is Jay. Jay needs features like Justin Timberlake to attract the attention of the masses, who he pre-purchased a million albums for. And Wayne is still trying to recreate the success of the first half of the last five years, and like Jay, is tapping all the help he can get to do so (while being slightly less discerning about it).

The most popular act to guest on Kanye's new album is Daft Punk, and they're a production credit. He doesn't need Jay. He doesn't need Wayne. He doesn't need Drake. Kanye can simply rely on his own instincts as an artist, and rely on his reputation to be able to tap the help he needs, even if that help isn't always going to get the most prominent look from it. The people Kanye are working with now know the reward isn't in the look so much as it is in the art, in the place in history, which is how he can convince them to do it. Of all of the aforementioned rappers, which of them truly have vision? Which of them have vision and can rap like there's no tomorrow? And which of them have vision, can rap like there's no tomorrow, and continue to turn out bangers?

There's only one."
    DarthRozay
  • Lebong JamesLebong James Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2013
    cole should be much higher on the list imo

1.Kanye
    2.Drake
    3.Cole
    4.Jay
    5.Kendrick
  • _Goldie__Goldie_ Quill Season Has Begun Posts: 15,808 Regulator
    1.kdot

Then erebody else
  • GetoBoyGetoBoy M.O.B. Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you can't count on nothing else you can always count on complex to give you a fuck'd up ass list
    DarthRozaynillerthekidwmj710
  • Built 4 cuban linxBuilt 4 cuban linx WU TANG BANGER, 36 STYLES OF DANGER!!!!!!!!!!!! At the 36th chamberPosts: 7,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FlightKing wrote: »
    No order:

Black Thought
    Big KRIT
    Pusha T
    Raekwon
    Mos Def
    Meek Mill
    Lil Wayne
    Nas
    Lupe Fiasco
    Ghostface

This nigga ain't rapped in 10 years, so how he one of the best within 5 years? Justin Beiber raps more than Mos.

He released the estatic a few years ago
    NothingButTheTruth
  • texasdaking88texasdaking88 Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭✭✭
    List is boo boo but u already knew that
  • Billy_PonchoBilly_Poncho GOT MY TRAP BUMPIN LIKE ACNE Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Big Krit been the most consistent from the mixtapes to the album
    StoneColdMikeyAggieLean.
  • 5 Grand5 Grand Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2013
    Honestly, Nas is the best rapper out now. He's been the best rapper since 01/02. What he would do to Kanye West in an MC battle is unthinkable.
    Kalecrunch
  • georgia boigeorgia boi Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nas- Lyrically killing it since Untitled. He's murdered some of the biggest and best on their own songs. Life Is Good is the icing on the cake.

Andre 3000- Has dropped some of the most memorable verses of the past 5 years

Kendrick Lamar- GKMC, nuff said

Rick Ross- Most improved MC of the last five years, but GFID was a step back. He has a lot of quality material in the past five years though (Deeper Than Rap, Teflon don, Ashes to Ashes, Rich Forever)

Kanye West- MBDTF is his shining moment of the last five years and it's one of the best albums dropped in the past 5

Drake- One great album in the past five years in Take Care, a good one Nothing Was The Same, and a decent one in Thank Me Later. He's dropped some memorable guest spots as well

Wale- Dropped one of the best albums of 2013 in Gifted. Ambition was dope and Attention Deficit was cool too.

J. Cole- His mixtape Friday Night Lights is one of the best, and he's dropped some cool albums in Born Sinner and Sideline Story

Jay Z- May not be as great as he used to be, but still dope

T.I.- Paper Trail was crazy. No Mercy was weak, but Trouble Man made up for that.
    TayJoneredhandedbandit
  • qawshunqawshun Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cole
    Nas from album to features nas
  • Built 4 cuban linxBuilt 4 cuban linx WU TANG BANGER, 36 STYLES OF DANGER!!!!!!!!!!!! At the 36th chamberPosts: 7,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No order

nas
    big krit
    Kendrick
    Reks
    Blu
  • unspoken_respectunspoken_respect I smell tittys Posts: 9,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2013
    Black Thought (Roots)
    Nas
    Drake
    Lupe Fiasco
    Kanye
  • dalyricalbanditdalyricalbandit Co-Owner Of AllhipHop.com, Super Moderator, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 53,210 Regulator
    lol at Gucci number 7
    Lebong JamesStoneColdMikey
  • FlightKingFlightKing Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No order:

Black Thought
    Big KRIT
    Pusha T
    Raekwon
    Mos Def
    Meek Mill
    Lil Wayne
    Nas
    Lupe Fiasco
    Ghostface

This nigga ain't rapped in 10 years, so how he one of the best within 5 years? Justin Beiber raps more than Mos.

Man...gone with that. You squeezing him in on some loyal shit. Mos my nigga too...but ...c'mon son. Mos ain't been shit in rap in the last 5 years.
    No order:

Black Thought
    Big KRIT
    Pusha T
    Raekwon
    Mos Def
    Meek Mill
    Lil Wayne
    Nas
    Lupe Fiasco
    Ghostface

Man...gone with that. You squeezing him in on some loyal shit. Mos my nigga too...but ...c'mon son. Mos ain't been shit in rap in the last 5 years.

Nigga I'm not squeezing him in on shit. He's not even on my list. You said he ain't rapped in 10 years. I just said he in fact released a album. If homies(which ever poster it was that had mos on his list ) liked the album enough to have him in his top 5, oh well. It ain't my fault you tried being funny and came off looking stupid
    its....JOHN BNothingButTheTruthFlightKing
  • deathrowzorrowdeathrowzorrow Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last 5 years
    Nas
    Kendrick
    TI
    Rick Ross
  • dwade206dwade206 Posts: 9,098 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm still surprised people read Complex
    TayJone
  • TayJoneTayJone Posts: 301 ✭✭✭
    past 5 years