Close Classics

GetoBoyGetoBoy M.O.B.Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭
What are the albums that y'all feel are closest to being a classic but you feel aren't and what do you think it is that's preventing it from you putting it in your class of classics???
mdot

Replies

• 5th Letter5th Letter AKA 5th Element Posts: 26,215 Regulator
    Jay Z's Vol 1. Idk what exactly is holding it back. But there is something off about that album.
  • ROZAYTABERNACLEROZAYTABERNACLE Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Black Album. It's a personal classic, but there's a couple missteps on the album that stop it from being a classic.
    SuperSoakerjoeyfkncrakk
  • BenjaminEBenjaminE Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The documentary... tainted by the constant dickriding of gunit and the subsequent fall out...

it also featured one of kanye's best soul sampled beats...

and one of busta's best hooks (seriously why doesn't he use this flow ever? and now that i think about it, it may have been 50's involvement)...
  • GetoBoyGetoBoy M.O.B. Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ben E wrote: »
    The documentary... tainted by the constant dickriding of gunit and the subsequent fall out...

and one of busta's best hooks (seriously why doesn't he use this flow ever? and now that i think about it, it may have been 50's involvement)...

I feel the same about the doc....theres something about it like it's right on the edge for me but it's missing something
  • BenjaminEBenjaminE Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GetoBoy wrote: »
    Ben E wrote: »

I feel the same about the doc....theres something about it like it's right on the edge for me but it's missing something

Classics are timeless... the album wuz dated as soon as it dropped...
  • TurfaholicTurfaholic scumbag The Bay 2 Sin CityPosts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    M.A.D.E.

not enough people gave it a chance
  • joeyfkncrakkjoeyfkncrakk Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2013
    American Gangster
    Diplomatic Immunity
    Purple Haze
    The Dreamer/ The Believer
    Watch The Throne
  • usmarin3usmarin3 Posts: 35,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Black Rob - Life Story
    Lost Boyz - Legal Drug Money
  • unspoken_respectunspoken_respect I smell tittys Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How I Got Over

Take Hustla and Web 20/20 off it and it's a classic. All the songs are dope until those last 2 like they just threw them on the album.
  • dwade206dwade206 Posts: 8,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Life Is Good
    Listencloser
  • 5 Grand5 Grand Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dwade206 wrote: »
    Life Is Good

Nosign. I think this will be one of those classics that didn't make an immediate impact but its classic nontheless. When you listen to it there's nothing wrong with it. No skippable tracks. It might actually be one of Nas's best albums.

Having said that, God's Son came close but no cigar.
  • nillerthekidnillerthekid Posts: 428 ✭✭✭✭
    5 Grand wrote: »
    Life Is Good

Nosign. I think this will be one of those classics that didn't make an immediate impact but its classic nontheless. When you listen to it there's nothing wrong with it. No skippable tracks. It might actually be one of Nas's best albums.

Summer On Smash. The one song that keeps it from being classic. That song is terrible
    TurfaholicListencloser

God's Son has got to be in nas top 3 worst albums don't really see that being close to a classic unless your just a nas fan then maybe
    Built 4 cuban linxnillerthekidillestni99ainneunspoken_respectListencloser
    Life Is Good

Fuck outta here, that Mary J Blidge track was doo doo grits. It was the best Hip Hop album to come out that year, but it was a few tracks away from being a classic. Bout to play that shit tonight, btw.
    Listencloser
    Summer on Smash was another bad choice
    TurfaholicListencloser
    The Documentary
    American Gangster
    The Carter II
    Urban Legend
    Adrenaline Rush
    Graduation
    Untitled
    MMLP/Eminem Show (I bounced between one is and one isn't)

Just a few to me IMO...
    joeyfkncrakk
  • JokerKingJokerKing She call me Mr. Boombastic say me fantastic, touch me in me back she say I'm Mr. Ro...mantic Watching Jimmy Fallon With Barbara GordonPosts: 25,192 Regulator
    Lethal Injection

• TurfaholicTurfaholic scumbag The Bay 2 Sin CityPosts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Life Is Good

Summer On Smash. The one song that keeps it from being classic. That song is terrible
    Summer on Smash was another bad choice

That song was dope u dummies
    nillerthekid
  • AmneasePiffAmneasePiff Posts: 281
    Recovery
    Harlem World
    Killa Season
    nillerthekid
  • AmneasePiffAmneasePiff Posts: 281
    edited October 2013
    Philadelphia Freeway
    BenjaminE
  • unspoken_respectunspoken_respect I smell tittys Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

God's Son has got to be in nas top 3 worst albums don't really see that being close to a classic unless your just a nas fan then maybe
    is_this_real_life101.gif
  • 5 Grand5 Grand Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2013

Yeah, if you're in the 14-16 year old age range I can see how you might not like God's Son. He didn't talk about hoes, cristal, rims on his truck or making it rain in the club. He talked about grown man stuff that teenagers aren't into. God's Son may have been the first album for adults... Actually, Rakim's 18th Letter LP was pretty mature at the time it came out.

The only song on God's Son I wasn't feeling was the track Eminem produced.

Some music just doesn't appeal to teenagers and likewise, some music just doesn't appeal to adults.
    ListenclosergoldenjaP-Dogg77
  • ListencloserListencloser Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2013
    Wu-Syndicate
    OK please enlighten this 30 year old man what you would consider nas bottom three albums??? Now I know this may be hard since on the ic everything he does is #1 but if he has a top three he also has a bottom three.... But then again I forgot where I'm at the home of over reacting where saying something is one of somebody's worse means your calling it trash smh
  • sapo614sapo614 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2013