What's up everybody! Just a quick message. We will be relaunching AllHipHop.com with the goal of keeping the community front and center. I have worked with Jamal and select moderators, to make sure The Illl Community's needs are being addressed as we evolve. We are encouraging you to use the new platform.

We will NOT be closing the current community, but we will be porting user data over to the new system over time, so please get used to using the new community!

We will be working on it every single day until it's exactly what you want!

Please feel free to join now, test, as we are in beta:

https://www.allhiphop.com

"What do you mean alot of today's rap is garbage?" "They rapped about the same shit in the 90's!"

BoldChildBoldChild Born alone, die alone.Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2013 in The Reason
Random thread, I remember this always being said in some threads when people voice their displeasure at rappers like Keef etc and their subject matter.

There is a clear difference between the street shit you heard in the 90's, and the street shit you hear today. When rappers rapped about street shit in the 90's, that was merely the subject of the song, world play, rhyming (you know the actual act of rapping) still took priority. despite the subject matter being the same, songs were often highly diverse.

Diverse as in, there were songs that were clearly fictional, and were meant for entertainment as if one were watching an action movie. example: Gimmie The Loot Souls of Mischief - Anything Can Happen

Songs that "taught" a lesson through powerful story telling: Lord Finesse - Food for Thought Intelligent Hoodlum - Street Mobb Deep - Trife Life

And niggas just flexing their bars: 8 Iz Enuff

Most of the street rap that comes out now, I don't know, seems like rather than actually trying to make a song their more concerned about proving how hard they are, and making money through the song. well the message to some of them isn't bad, the quality however.... And if it's not street shit then it's people using street shit as references because it's the "in" thing, like Drake: "You gon make me catch a body like that."

smokelahomaloch121SnuffDaddySneakDZAsr_the_freshman32DaysOfInfinitiLou_CypherAZTGSour-CreamSoloman_The_WiseDisciplined InSightiKingGodGivBizBazz-Bidoitforhiphop10L3NUilledoutblackblocSmokey Tha Bandit

Replies

• rip.dillarip.dilla ... push up the fader... bust the meter... shake the tweeter Posts: 17,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree but also its about the skill. the skill just isnt there like it used to be.

... always immediately go for my boobs ... She feelin me up like "are those your nipples?" I'm like "don't touch there. my money is there." So she's running my hips and thighs ...

bb135e64-2d54-4043-bf52-fd6c7197fcd3_zps05c66c47_-_Copy_-_Copy.jpg
    nujerz84JerfyTsmokelahomailledout
  • SnuffDaddySnuffDaddy Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2013
    So much nostalgia & re-written history in this thread, funny. Clouds alot of people's judgement in here. Same shit being said now was EXACTLY what was said in the 90's btw. No different. It's just ya growing up & the music game is shifting from something ya may not be use to or comfortable with, whether ya like it or not, just like the 90's from the 80's. Conditioning, basically.

LOL @ the examples being pulled too. Most these acts ya pulling were not popping off in the mainstream, hence why people complained about the same shit back then. I can pull up a today's underground rapper as well, at least make it a fair comparison. But, like i said, nostalgia clouds your judgement, especially from people who were kids in the 90's so they have this warped idea of how the 90's were.
    Tape Deck

"Get Down (Q-Tip Remix) " [Craig Mack, '94]
    "It Ain't Pt. 2" [Scarface, '00]

cnn
    beanie the truth
    group home
    freddie foxx
    gang starr
    what a shame royal flush
    sticky fingaz/onyx
    scarface
    mop
    goodie mob angelic war
    fat joe the hidden hand
    freddie foxxx so tough
    dead prez turn off the radio
    az betcha dont know
    az beanie sigel thats real
    next friday soundtrack (pharaoe monch, isley brothers, wyclef, ja rule, eminem, krayzie bone, big tymers etc)
    craig mack jockin my style
    cormega love is love
    cypress hill 16 men
    luniz so much drama
    wc daz blam blam
    50 cent glow of a thug
    az just because
    bone thugs pod
    bone thugs sweet jane
    fat joe success
    lox life shit
    de la soul trying people
    the lox living off eXperience OX “Living Off eXperience
    ll cool j ill bomb
    method man redman da rockwilder
    poor righteous teachers my three wives
    bg i know
    terror squad rudeboy salute
    lox
    shyne
    lox thumbs up

Trick Daddy
    Dr Dre ft Eminem
    Nas Reach Out
    JayZ Hey Papi

Outkast
    Big Boi
    Eastsidaz Pussy Sells/Life Goes On
    trick daddy
    nore thugs r us
    mop my nigga hill figga
    the murderers we gettin high/murderers
    memphis bleek
    jayz change the game
    gang starr
    mop
    heavy d
    prodigy
    sr_the_freshmanzombienujerz84CashmoneyDuxNothingButTheTruth32DaysOfInfinitismokelahomaOGClarenceBoddickerTHIRDSUPREMEnillerthekidSoloman_The_WiseilledoutblackblocYoung Stef
  • ckhidckhid Posts: 18
    people get familiar and hate change.. that's what they really mean
    smokelahomarip.dillaSoloman_The_Wiseilledoutblackbloc
  • sr_the_freshmansr_the_freshman 2014 Reason Poster Of The Year Philadelphia, PAPosts: 2,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with OP.

This will be an interesting thread. The 'strictly for entertainment' niggas, and Caucasian fans will disagree, because their favorite rapper of today probably falls into the category of unauthentic, and they're content with equating the rap game with like, the WWE or some shit. As if our artists are all simply actors, when in reality, they're supposed to be proponents of the African American community, or AT LEAST respect the culture.

Context was a big thing back in the 90s and early 2000s.
    And niggas could actually rap which, you know, is a big plus.

rip.dillaSoloman_The_Wise1of1illedoutblackbloc
  • Ear2DaStEar2DaSt STREET MILITARY till Infinity !!!! Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why everybody sound like Drake?
    Street Military members:

K.B. DA KIDNAPPA , LIL FLEA , ICEY HOTT , PHAROAH , KLONDIKE KAT , R.I.P. NUTT
    32DaysOfInfinitirip.dillaSoloman_The_Wisetrilladelicblackbloc
  • Lab BabyLab Baby Parts Unknown via BrooklynPosts: 8,053 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not even just all that... I think somewhere along the line, either the fans, the artists, or both... just stopped giving a fuck. There's just as good music out as the 90s, if not better, it's just not promoted. A lot of these dudes grew up thinking rap was the dream, so their whole mindstate is in la la land. Back in the days, cats had to literally fight to get shine, so of course their shit has more grit to it. They were dreamers too, but they had to struggle to get it, and their music reflects that. A lot of mainstream music these days real meh, cuz it was easy to make, so there's no real thought process. Maybe I'm getting old or have Aspbergers... but I can't find single solitary fuck to give about what these dudes are saying on a genuine level.
    32DaysOfInfinitirip.dillaSoloman_The_WiseStew
  • BackInWhiteBackInWhite Posts: 23,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Iceberg SlickIceberg Slick Posts: 784 ✭✭✭✭
    it dont matter what era you will always have bitch shit and real shit. mc hammer, vanilla ice, onyx, etc for the 90s and drake, soulja boy, mackelmore etc right now for the bitch shit. death row, suave house, rapalot, hypnotize minds, etc back in the day for the real shit and TDE, pushaz ink, GBE, coke boyz, etc right now on the real shit.
    BoldChildRanxxrip.dilla5 Grand
  • The Nuisance The Nuisance Posts: 388 ✭✭✭
    Could really care less about the subject matter, cause ain't nothing new under the sun. Em one of the all-time greats due to his skill level, regardless if I identify with the topics or not I can respect his pen game.

Rappers these days are talented they just don't try anymore, got me dl old albums!
    Soloman_The_WiseStewdwade206
  • BackInWhiteBackInWhite Posts: 23,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you niggas stay worried about and comparing shit to some shit that ain't never happening again
    all your favorite rappers are old and garbage now, get over it
    you don't like what's out now? don't listen
    go download a bunch of old shit and be happy
    tumblr_nvppa2vZKf1ruz6zso1_500.gif
    sr_the_freshmansmokelahomaOGClarenceBoddickerrip.dillaSoloman_The_WiseDisciplined InSightinfamous114idoitforhiphop10L3NUStewTheRicanKingilledoutshtoopid
  • BoldChildBoldChild Born alone, die alone. Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you niggas stay worried about and comparing shit to some shit that ain't never happening again
    all your favorite rappers are old and garbage now, get over it
    you don't like what's out now? don't listen
    go download a bunch of old shit and be happy

God forbid if we discuss hip-hop on a hip-hop forum.

I like a lot of shit that's out now, the thread title may be misleading because that's simply a comment I often hear that lead me to make this thread, which is why I put it in quotes, my personal thoughts are not, "90's rap is good, and present rap is bad."
    SnuffDaddy wrote: »
    So much nostalgia & re-written history in this thread, funny. Clouds alot of people's judgement in here. Same shit being said now was EXACTLY what was said in the 90's btw. No different. It's just ya growing up & the music game is shifting from something ya may not be use to or comfortable with, whether ya like it or not, just like the 90's from the 80's. Conditioning, basically.

LOL @ the examples being pulled too. Most these acts ya pulling were not popping off in the mainstream, hence why people complained about the same shit back then. I can pull up a today's underground rapper as well, at least make it a fair comparison. But, like i said, nostalgia clouds your judgement, especially from people who were kids in the 90's so they have this warped idea of how the 90's were.

Trust me, I haven't forgot Silkk, but even as wack as he is, at least that nigga was creative. I know people partially judge a rapper based on how hard he was back in the 90's(nh), or else Pac wouldn't have pulled off the thug routine, but was it to the point where extremely wack niggas were getting a pass because it it?

You had No Limit, but I think their popularity was more based off the excitement they brought, because yeah, I remember being 9 years old or so, and make em say uhh was bumping in the team van on the way to a track meet, and a couple of the niigas could actually rap.
    rip.dillaSoloman_The_WiseTheManinBlack3.0Kalecrunch