What's up everybody! Just a quick message. We will be relaunching AllHipHop.com with the goal of keeping the community front and center. I have worked with Jamal and select moderators, to make sure The Illl Community's needs are being addressed as we evolve. We are encouraging you to use the new platform.

We will NOT be closing the current community, but we will be porting user data over to the new system over time, so please get used to using the new community!

We will be working on it every single day until it's exactly what you want!

Please feel free to join now, test, as we are in beta:

https://www.allhiphop.com

"What do you mean alot of today's rap is garbage?" "They rapped about the same shit in the 90's!"

Replies

• mc317mc317 Deranged Meat the landPosts: 5,148 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fuck emotional ass, ritalin taking, pink skirt, swag faggin, no talent, shawty doe trickin, kissin strippers in the mouf ass fuck boi man anuses!
    Cold Sardines Cold Sardines fuck em and feed em Cold Sardines
    rip.dillaSoloman_The_Wisesmokelahoma1of1purpngold
  • SnuffDaddySnuffDaddy Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sully wrote: »
    i think it's the technical skills from the mainstream artists that is lacking today, and naturally, technical rapping skills and applying the actual artform naturally lends itself to more creativity from the artist.

If you listen to Big Pun, his subject matter wasn't all that diverse. Most his verses were about how he could murder someone. But we place him atop the echelon of rappers b/c subject matter actually mattered less since you listened to him and could hear and appreciate the technical skills he showcased when he crafted verses. It wasn't about what he was saying as much as how he was saying it, and the little stylistic blips in his verse that made his catalogue so remarkable...and by that i mean the changes in accent, the use of stutters to emphasize his points, his use of multi-syllables, and ability to use words in one or two bars and then follow that up with one or two bars with the same key words flipped to flip what he was saying, the seamless switches between normal speed and rapid fire, and the seamless switches between English and Spanish.

Nowadays, you'll get a rapper that's influenced by a Big PUn or 2Pac or whoever, but they don't develop a stylistic manner with technical skills.

Jay-Z's influence is a good example of this too. Everybody wanted to rhyme like Jay-Z, but they only want to flow like him; so that's something they would emulate. But lost was their ability to emulate his wordplay or develop a style within that emulated flow. So when they rapped like him, they might have done well to emulate how he says things, but not with the same technical aspect. So what you got was a bunch of rappers in the mid-2000's that could flow over a song, but were just saying what they wanted to say in a straight forward manner. Gone was the ability to flip meanings and use drawn out metaphors that lent to ear-grabbing use of vocabulary, and gone was the ability to say something in the beginning of a verse and be able to relate back to it at the end. And what happened from there was that the rappers Jay-Z influenced, ended up influencing the following generation of artists heavily. So the straightforwardness became even more straightforward - to the point of using verses to state obvious superficialities.

Like, you could have three generations of rappers that would rap about the same thing, but come off completely different and progressively less clever.

Just look at these three comparisons rapping about selling dope on the block and eliminating your enemies:

Jay-Z
    We used to f!ght for building blocks
    Now we f!ght for blocks with buildings that make a k#lling
    The closest of friends when we first started
    But grew apart as the money grew, and soon grew black-hearted
    Thinking back when we first learned to use rubbers
    He never learned so in turn I'm kidnapping his baby's mother
    My hand around her collar, feeding her cheese
    She said the taste of dollars was !!ty so I fed her fifties
    About his whereabouts I wasn't convinced
    So I kept feeding her money 'til her !! started to make sense
    Who could ever forsee, we used to stay up
    all night at slumber parties
    now I'm trying to rock this !! to sleep
    All the years we were real close
    Now I see his fears through her tears,
    know she's wishing we were still
    close
    Don't cry, it is the (beat?)
    In time, I'll take away your miseries and make 'em mine, D'Evils

T.I.
    Rubberband man
    Like a one-man band
    Treat these niggas like the Apollo
    And I'm the sandman
    Tote a hundred grand
    Cannon in the waistband
    Looking for a sweet lick?
    Well this is the wrong place, man
    7-time felon, what I care about a case, man?
    I'm campaigning to bury the hate
    So say ya grace, man

Chief Keef
    I done got indicted selling all white
    But I won't never snitch none in my life
    I keep this shit 3hunna bitch, I'm going right
    With my niggas when it's time to start taking lifes

Notice how it takes progressively less bars to say essentially the same thing. And each one progressively loses the technical aspects of rap and the clever and intricate ways to say it and provide visualization for the audience.

See, this is exactly what i was talking about.

You pull up a Jay-Z quote only to compare it with a T.I. & Chief Keef verse - great fucking logic! This is that old bitter nostalgia re-written shit i'm talking about. T.I. is a dope artist but still clearly he's on a lower level than Jay, & Chief Keef? Really?

& then the other dude making justifications for Silk Tha Shocker - yep, you heard me right. Actually called him "at least creative, lmao".

You might as well compare Kriss Kross with Kendrick, that's how much sense you cats are making.
    Tape Deck

"Get Down (Q-Tip Remix) " [Craig Mack, '94]
    "It Ain't Pt. 2" [Scarface, '00]

cnn
    beanie the truth
    group home
    freddie foxx
    gang starr
    what a shame royal flush
    sticky fingaz/onyx
    scarface
    mop
    goodie mob angelic war
    fat joe the hidden hand
    freddie foxxx so tough
    dead prez turn off the radio
    az betcha dont know
    az beanie sigel thats real
    next friday soundtrack (pharaoe monch, isley brothers, wyclef, ja rule, eminem, krayzie bone, big tymers etc)
    craig mack jockin my style
    cormega love is love
    cypress hill 16 men
    luniz so much drama
    wc daz blam blam
    50 cent glow of a thug
    az just because
    bone thugs pod
    bone thugs sweet jane
    fat joe success
    lox life shit
    de la soul trying people
    the lox living off eXperience OX “Living Off eXperience
    ll cool j ill bomb
    method man redman da rockwilder
    poor righteous teachers my three wives
    bg i know
    terror squad rudeboy salute
    lox
    shyne
    lox thumbs up

Trick Daddy
    Dr Dre ft Eminem
    Nas Reach Out
    JayZ Hey Papi

Outkast
    Big Boi
    Eastsidaz Pussy Sells/Life Goes On
    trick daddy
    nore thugs r us
    mop my nigga hill figga
    the murderers we gettin high/murderers
    memphis bleek
    jayz change the game
    gang starr
    mop
    heavy d
    prodigy
    nujerz84sr_the_freshmanSoloman_The_WiseKalecrunchsmokelahomailledoutpurpngold
  • mc317mc317 Deranged Meat the landPosts: 5,148 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cold Sardines Cold Sardines fuck em and feed em Cold Sardines
    illedout
  • sullysully Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SnuffDaddy wrote: »

You pull up a Jay-Z quote only to compare it with a T.I. & Chief Keef verse - great fucking logic! This is that old bitter nostalgia re-written shit i'm talking about. T.I. is a dope artist but still clearly he's on a lower level than Jay, & Chief Keef? Really?

& then the other dude making justifications for Silk Tha Shocker - yep, you heard me right. Actually called him "at least creative, lmao".

You might as well compare Kriss Kross with Kendrick, that's how much sense you cats are making.

actually, i dunno if you actually read my post or not, but I wasn't directly comparing their verses. I was showing the generational differences between those three rappers' eras and how I think each goes into less detail and thus less effort to essentially describe the same things. i.e., they're rapping about the same shit, but they all go about it differently.
    Soloman_The_Wisesmokelahoma
  • Wild SelfWild Self Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the major difference is the subject matter is more ignorant now and the TEMPO has become drastically slower. Fans will actually resent a nigga that comes off too smart (Lupe) but support the most ignorant inarticulate niggaz that can barely talk (Flocka, Future, Migos ect). Though I don't hate any of these artists, they would've got laughed at in 90's

The truth. People care about your rap sheet with dirt than your rapping ability. The fact that the streets identify with ignorant ass trap rap speaks volumes on how dumbed down the streets have become.
    RanxxStormbornStew
  • BrazilianHairMoneyBrazilianHairMoney Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    fictional rappers created this era, people were tired of them, because the people who were really in the streets were dying off, while the ones rappin street was getting paid in the shade, it started a war, but the topic matter is the same.. but the fictional creativity created a rebellion.
    They ask, have I gave up on ~music~ no I just want to do it my way. I can't afford to listen to others, the price they charge for life is too expensive.Fuck The World Young Jeezy Feat August Alsina:
    BoldChildMeta_Consciousnj2089
  • damobb2deepdamobb2deep Posts: 19,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    being lyrical is subjective... because say 4 instance "2day is a good day" ice cube was story telling but the lyric wasnt "lyrical"

take easy e for instance again great story teller but not the best "lyrically"

illedout
  • damobb2deepdamobb2deep Posts: 19,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lol btw youtube stand up comics in the 90's (def comedy jam/comic view) they was shyttin on most of the music that was popular @ the time...

its more about if the song can stand the test of time..

Kalecrunchilledoutpurpngold
  • BoldChildBoldChild Born alone, die alone. Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SnuffDaddy wrote: »
    sully wrote: »
    i think it's the technical skills from the mainstream artists that is lacking today, and naturally, technical rapping skills and applying the actual artform naturally lends itself to more creativity from the artist.

If you listen to Big Pun, his subject matter wasn't all that diverse. Most his verses were about how he could murder someone. But we place him atop the echelon of rappers b/c subject matter actually mattered less since you listened to him and could hear and appreciate the technical skills he showcased when he crafted verses. It wasn't about what he was saying as much as how he was saying it, and the little stylistic blips in his verse that made his catalogue so remarkable...and by that i mean the changes in accent, the use of stutters to emphasize his points, his use of multi-syllables, and ability to use words in one or two bars and then follow that up with one or two bars with the same key words flipped to flip what he was saying, the seamless switches between normal speed and rapid fire, and the seamless switches between English and Spanish.

Nowadays, you'll get a rapper that's influenced by a Big PUn or 2Pac or whoever, but they don't develop a stylistic manner with technical skills.

Jay-Z's influence is a good example of this too. Everybody wanted to rhyme like Jay-Z, but they only want to flow like him; so that's something they would emulate. But lost was their ability to emulate his wordplay or develop a style within that emulated flow. So when they rapped like him, they might have done well to emulate how he says things, but not with the same technical aspect. So what you got was a bunch of rappers in the mid-2000's that could flow over a song, but were just saying what they wanted to say in a straight forward manner. Gone was the ability to flip meanings and use drawn out metaphors that lent to ear-grabbing use of vocabulary, and gone was the ability to say something in the beginning of a verse and be able to relate back to it at the end. And what happened from there was that the rappers Jay-Z influenced, ended up influencing the following generation of artists heavily. So the straightforwardness became even more straightforward - to the point of using verses to state obvious superficialities.

Like, you could have three generations of rappers that would rap about the same thing, but come off completely different and progressively less clever.

Just look at these three comparisons rapping about selling dope on the block and eliminating your enemies:

Jay-Z
    We used to f!ght for building blocks
    Now we f!ght for blocks with buildings that make a k#lling
    The closest of friends when we first started
    But grew apart as the money grew, and soon grew black-hearted
    Thinking back when we first learned to use rubbers
    He never learned so in turn I'm kidnapping his baby's mother
    My hand around her collar, feeding her cheese
    She said the taste of dollars was !!ty so I fed her fifties
    About his whereabouts I wasn't convinced
    So I kept feeding her money 'til her !! started to make sense
    Who could ever forsee, we used to stay up
    all night at slumber parties
    now I'm trying to rock this !! to sleep
    All the years we were real close
    Now I see his fears through her tears,
    know she's wishing we were still
    close
    Don't cry, it is the (beat?)
    In time, I'll take away your miseries and make 'em mine, D'Evils

T.I.
    Rubberband man
    Like a one-man band
    Treat these niggas like the Apollo
    And I'm the sandman
    Tote a hundred grand
    Cannon in the waistband
    Looking for a sweet lick?
    Well this is the wrong place, man
    7-time felon, what I care about a case, man?
    I'm campaigning to bury the hate
    So say ya grace, man

Chief Keef
    I done got indicted selling all white
    But I won't never snitch none in my life
    I keep this shit 3hunna bitch, I'm going right
    With my niggas when it's time to start taking lifes

Notice how it takes progressively less bars to say essentially the same thing. And each one progressively loses the technical aspects of rap and the clever and intricate ways to say it and provide visualization for the audience.

because you asked me to, I pulled up a proper 90's comparison for chief keef.
    LOL @ the examples being pulled too.
    :(|)
  • ohhhlaohhhla Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sion wrote: »
    Strongly disagree, the game changed a lot since the 90s. Back then you had younger dudes making music for older dudes, Big was like 22 when he did RTD, Pac was only 25 when he did AEOM, Nas was like 20 when he dropped Illmatic and I'm pretty sure AZ wasn't much older than him if not the same age. G Rap was older than his fans (who were rappers) and niggas showed him love (peep Fastlife ft. Nas) - in the same breath I remember when Game said "rappin at 38 was uuhhhh" and fools cosigned -_-* well that attitude is why Hip-Hop can't grow and why cats like Rakim, BDK and Kool Herc and others are broke or not getting paid royalties SMMFH ... Music changed from appreciating authenticity and keepin it real to being an artform chastized and raided by young/old rappers making music for 15-16 year olds. I seen R.Kelly's "Cookie" video and it was an atrocity, he's in his early-mid 40s dressing like he's 18 wearing a white leather skirt, shit looks ridiculous SMMFH. In the 90s he was making soul music and dropping T-P and R. those were classic albums. The quality of music has changed dramatically, it might be a similar subject matter but the feel and authenticity is long gone.

Rappers like A$AP Ferg, Rick Ross, Drake, Meek, Curren$y, Wale, Kanye, Big Sean the shit they saying is so basic but still we praise it like it's heaven in our ears - but all that shows is that we've been so used to terrible music for the last decade and change, that we'll accept cuz niggas have nothing of worth to compare it to. Nowadays it's cool to be a phoney and pretend to be shit you aint (Rick Ross), nowadays it's cool for men to act like divas (Drake, Wale, Kanye) when things don't go their way versus just putting it in a rap and we shun niggas for being confrontational and beefing if they say something is wack or called a hater (50 Cent). Remember when LL Cool J could do a song like Round A Way girl and then on the next few tracks diss Kool Moe Dee or even Canibus ? Remember when Chef and Ghost Deini weren't scared to put blatant subliminals coming at Bad Boy and Biggie IN mainstream songs/albums ? Ice Cube and Public Enemy felt no way about showing you social commentary not just when they appeared on talk shows but in their videos as well (New Jack by Ice T is still one of the most brilliant videos I've ever seen). The way things are today versus the 90s is the reason why when Kendrick did his "Control" verse it got the type of attention it did. If it was the 90s no one would have cared cuz it would have been expected of him beforehand.

There's too much passivity in music today to where we give lames like 2 Chainz, Ross awards for lyrics of the year (BET awards SMMFH) and praise lukewarm shit that got dope production but lazy lyrics. Now before niggas throw tomatoes at me, let me say that we have dope artists like Kendrick Lamar, the TDE crew, Run The Jewels, Mac Miller, J.Cole, Jay Electronica, Pusha T and many many others who are putting it down and in the long term I think it'll get better but to make a comparison b/w now and the 90s is simply unfair. You know how many classic albums we got in the 90s ? Come on now. It was simply a different era and time and one in which can't be compared and shouldn't be....

Just my 2 cents,
    Sion

Kane being broke?

HA.
  • Disciplined InSightDisciplined InSight The Clairvoyant One.... Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Sion crushed it with his post..should've been the end of this discussion.
    To be a real hood you need more than just a gun. You need ideas.

tumblr_m9zas2KcdZ1rnneano1_1280.gif
    SionSoloman_The_Wiseachewon87illedout
  • smokelahomasmokelahoma Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2013
    Whoever made it possible to think that ANYBODY can be a rapper/emcee is to blame. Th Internet just gave them niggas the platform.

word. social media and the internet in general has fucked up alot of things in alot of aspects. technology has changed things and not for the better either. I think part of people thinking anybody can do it is the internet. they get inspired because they see some idiot like Soulja boy come up off of myspace and they think if he can do it so can I.
    Disciplined InSightSoloman_The_WiseStew
  • blackrainblackrain Posts: 26,273 Regulator
    Sion wrote: »
    Strongly disagree, the game changed a lot since the 90s. Back then you had younger dudes making music for older dudes, Big was like 22 when he did RTD, Pac was only 25 when he did AEOM, Nas was like 20 when he dropped Illmatic and I'm pretty sure AZ wasn't much older than him if not the same age. G Rap was older than his fans (who were rappers) and niggas showed him love (peep Fastlife ft. Nas) - in the same breath I remember when Game said "rappin at 38 was uuhhhh" and fools cosigned -_-* well that attitude is why Hip-Hop can't grow and why cats like Rakim, BDK and Kool Herc and others are broke or not getting paid royalties SMMFH ... Music changed from appreciating authenticity and keepin it real to being an artform chastized and raided by young/old rappers making music for 15-16 year olds. I seen R.Kelly's "Cookie" video and it was an atrocity, he's in his early-mid 40s dressing like he's 18 wearing a white leather skirt, shit looks ridiculous SMMFH. In the 90s he was making soul music and dropping T-P and R. those were classic albums. The quality of music has changed dramatically, it might be a similar subject matter but the feel and authenticity is long gone.

Rappers like A$AP Ferg, Rick Ross, Drake, Meek, Curren$y, Wale, Kanye, Big Sean the shit they saying is so basic but still we praise it like it's heaven in our ears - but all that shows is that we've been so used to terrible music for the last decade and change, that we'll accept cuz niggas have nothing of worth to compare it to. Nowadays it's cool to be a phoney and pretend to be shit you aint (Rick Ross), nowadays it's cool for men to act like divas (Drake, Wale, Kanye) when things don't go their way versus just putting it in a rap and we shun niggas for being confrontational and beefing if they say something is wack or called a hater (50 Cent). Remember when LL Cool J could do a song like Round A Way girl and then on the next few tracks diss Kool Moe Dee or even Canibus ? Remember when Chef and Ghost Deini weren't scared to put blatant subliminals coming at Bad Boy and Biggie IN mainstream songs/albums ? Ice Cube and Public Enemy felt no way about showing you social commentary not just when they appeared on talk shows but in their videos as well (New Jack by Ice T is still one of the most brilliant videos I've ever seen). The way things are today versus the 90s is the reason why when Kendrick did his "Control" verse it got the type of attention it did. If it was the 90s no one would have cared cuz it would have been expected of him beforehand.

There's too much passivity in music today to where we give lames like 2 Chainz, Ross awards for lyrics of the year (BET awards SMMFH) and praise lukewarm shit that got dope production but lazy lyrics. Now before niggas throw tomatoes at me, let me say that we have dope artists like Kendrick Lamar, the TDE crew, Run The Jewels, Mac Miller, J.Cole, Jay Electronica, Pusha T and many many others who are putting it down and in the long term I think it'll get better but to make a comparison b/w now and the 90s is simply unfair. You know how many classic albums we got in the 90s ? Come on now. It was simply a different era and time and one in which can't be compared and shouldn't be....

Just my 2 cents,
    Sion

I do agree that it's too much pandering to the younger crowd in music and the whole "You're too old to be rapping" making it so if you're an older rapper unless you're essentially a big ass kid you won't get any play but the bold has always been around. There's always been rappers who were phony's hell maybe even more so in the 90's when so many rappers tried to be super thugs on their albums. Not all them niggas making gangsta rap in the 90's was actual gangstas
    smokelahomaSoloman_The_WiseWild Self
  • blackrainblackrain Posts: 26,273 Regulator
    5 Grand wrote: »
    Back in the 80s and 90s there was no internet. You'd schedule your day around Yo! MTV Raps and Rap City. I know when Yo! MTV Raps used to come on at 10:00pm on Saturday Nights, I'd make it a point to have a blank VHS tape cued up so I could tape whichever new videos came out. In the course of a one hour show they'd play about 10 videos with maybe 2 or 3 of them being brand new.

Nowadays, you can get new music and new videos everyday of the week 24/7/365. There's just too much stuff out.

Somebody mentioned that everybody has a computer with software. You can make a professional sounding demo in your bedroom. That's the problem. There's too many so-called rappers.

I agree with t/s

That's a huge part of the problem...everybody that wants to be a rapper can literally be one with a mic and the ability to upload something on youtube.
    smokelahoma
  • Disciplined InSightDisciplined InSight The Clairvoyant One.... Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's no intricacy in simplicity anymore..
    To be a real hood you need more than just a gun. You need ideas.

tumblr_m9zas2KcdZ1rnneano1_1280.gif
    SionSoloman_The_Wise
  • StillFaggyAFStillFaggyAF Queer LGBT CommunityPosts: 40,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yall ruined hip hop

LvbxPzB.gif

tumblr_nhmcjbdFri1snb2l4o5_r1_500.gif
    full?d=1430459989

Soloman_The_Wise
  • iKingGodGivBiziKingGodGivBiz What title? Posts: 28,987 Regulator
    If youre a fan youre a dickrider, if youre not a fan youre a hater.

Yall cant accept that everyone has their own unique tastes, and not everyone should have the same personal musical choices.

Cant stand people who are too afraid to just like what they like just to fit in. Fuck em

New AHH Battle Rap Forum
    http://community.allhiphop.com/categories/the-battle-rap-zone
    Karma es verdad.
    Stewking hassanEar2DaStilledout