"What do you mean alot of today's rap is garbage?" "They rapped about the same shit in the 90's!"

13»

Replies

• south4lifesouth4life Bama Repesenta! Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kalecrunch wrote: »
    Also modern rap beats need to return to more sample based instead of relying on "trap beats" and tracks with 808 beats per minute, triple-time high hats etc.

It's nearly impossible to be exceptionally lyrical on these types of beats.

Most high level lyricism occurs over sample.based beats.

Say Dat!
    I remember back in the 90's niggas was bitching bout too much sampling and wanted og tracks but the og tracks came off as being wack and the sampled made the flow sound epic. For example would Biggies Big Poppa or Juicy sound the same without the samples or 2pacs Keep Ya Head Up or I Aint Mad At Cha be remembered without those samples, thats why im feeling TDE they run them samples and have them shits sound epic
  • BelovedAfeniBelovedAfeni The Pimp Slap App 5150 NationPosts: 8,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2013
    Ear2DaSt wrote: »
    Why everybody sound like WAYNE?

• Wild SelfWild Self Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    blackrain wrote: »
    Sion wrote: »
    Strongly disagree, the game changed a lot since the 90s. Back then you had younger dudes making music for older dudes, Big was like 22 when he did RTD, Pac was only 25 when he did AEOM, Nas was like 20 when he dropped Illmatic and I'm pretty sure AZ wasn't much older than him if not the same age. G Rap was older than his fans (who were rappers) and niggas showed him love (peep Fastlife ft. Nas) - in the same breath I remember when Game said "rappin at 38 was uuhhhh" and fools cosigned -_-* well that attitude is why Hip-Hop can't grow and why cats like Rakim, BDK and Kool Herc and others are broke or not getting paid royalties SMMFH ... Music changed from appreciating authenticity and keepin it real to being an artform chastized and raided by young/old rappers making music for 15-16 year olds. I seen R.Kelly's "Cookie" video and it was an atrocity, he's in his early-mid 40s dressing like he's 18 wearing a white leather skirt, shit looks ridiculous SMMFH. In the 90s he was making soul music and dropping T-P and R. those were classic albums. The quality of music has changed dramatically, it might be a similar subject matter but the feel and authenticity is long gone.

Rappers like A$AP Ferg, Rick Ross, Drake, Meek, Curren$y, Wale, Kanye, Big Sean the shit they saying is so basic but still we praise it like it's heaven in our ears - but all that shows is that we've been so used to terrible music for the last decade and change, that we'll accept cuz niggas have nothing of worth to compare it to. Nowadays it's cool to be a phoney and pretend to be shit you aint (Rick Ross), nowadays it's cool for men to act like divas (Drake, Wale, Kanye) when things don't go their way versus just putting it in a rap and we shun niggas for being confrontational and beefing if they say something is wack or called a hater (50 Cent). Remember when LL Cool J could do a song like Round A Way girl and then on the next few tracks diss Kool Moe Dee or even Canibus ? Remember when Chef and Ghost Deini weren't scared to put blatant subliminals coming at Bad Boy and Biggie IN mainstream songs/albums ? Ice Cube and Public Enemy felt no way about showing you social commentary not just when they appeared on talk shows but in their videos as well (New Jack by Ice T is still one of the most brilliant videos I've ever seen). The way things are today versus the 90s is the reason why when Kendrick did his "Control" verse it got the type of attention it did. If it was the 90s no one would have cared cuz it would have been expected of him beforehand.

There's too much passivity in music today to where we give lames like 2 Chainz, Ross awards for lyrics of the year (BET awards SMMFH) and praise lukewarm shit that got dope production but lazy lyrics. Now before niggas throw tomatoes at me, let me say that we have dope artists like Kendrick Lamar, the TDE crew, Run The Jewels, Mac Miller, J.Cole, Jay Electronica, Pusha T and many many others who are putting it down and in the long term I think it'll get better but to make a comparison b/w now and the 90s is simply unfair. You know how many classic albums we got in the 90s ? Come on now. It was simply a different era and time and one in which can't be compared and shouldn't be....

Just my 2 cents,
    Sion

I do agree that it's too much pandering to the younger crowd in music and the whole "You're too old to be rapping" making it so if you're an older rapper unless you're essentially a big ass kid you won't get any play but the bold has always been around. There's always been rappers who were phony's hell maybe even more so in the 90's when so many rappers tried to be super thugs on their albums. Not all them niggas making gangsta rap in the 90's was actual gangstas

People always try to re-write history. Especially some of the 90s heads.
  • THIRDSUPREMETHIRDSUPREME Still Coon Killa.... Nigga Home of the SlavesPosts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    trillizm wrote: »
    my biggest complaint about rap nowadays besides the redundant subject matter is that biting flows is acceptable.
    that shit was a no no back then. not to say it didnt happened but u were called out for it at least.

tumblr_lsvzxqXUzL1qfmjgx.gif
    Sion
  • StewStew Rap Music Is My Religion We run this spot like a Chinese sweatshopPosts: 48,356 Regulator
  • Ear2DaStEar2DaSt Posts: 9,220 ✭✭✭✭✭
    People will also shit on better underground artists cuz people hate when a rapper is realer/better then their favorite rappers!
    32DaysOfInfinitiSoloman_The_WiseTheRicanKing
  • loch121loch121 Posts: 12,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    zombie wrote: »
    like i said before this generation just refuses to accept the fact that their entertainment is just wack.

from the music to the movies and even the fashion it's just wack the only thing better now is the video games.

They still make some good movies though
  • loch121loch121 Posts: 12,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The difference between the 90's and now is that those one hit acts got no respect and ppl knew that real MCing was the foundation.

There would always be some clown act making a dumb hit, but even those dudes were more skillful rappers

The majority of rappers/MCs were true to the craft and being dope was the norm, but now it has flipped

Now being the one hit wonder wack dude is the norm and being dope is rare
    Meta_Consciousilledout
  • zombie wrote: »
    like i said before this generation just refuses to accept the fact that their entertainment is just wack.

from the music to the movies and even the fashion it's just wack the only thing better now is the video games.

We're now at the cyclical point in fashion and culture were the 90s are to be revived. So maybe things will get better.
  • illedoutilledout Posts: 7,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sion wrote: »
    Strongly disagree, the game changed a lot since the 90s. Back then you had younger dudes making music for older dudes, Big was like 22 when he did RTD, Pac was only 25 when he did AEOM, Nas was like 20 when he dropped Illmatic and I'm pretty sure AZ wasn't much older than him if not the same age. G Rap was older than his fans (who were rappers) and niggas showed him love (peep Fastlife ft. Nas) - in the same breath I remember when Game said "rappin at 38 was uuhhhh" and fools cosigned -_-* well that attitude is why Hip-Hop can't grow and why cats like Rakim, BDK and Kool Herc and others are broke or not getting paid royalties SMMFH ... Music changed from appreciating authenticity and keepin it real to being an artform chastized and raided by young/old rappers making music for 15-16 year olds. I seen R.Kelly's "Cookie" video and it was an atrocity, he's in his early-mid 40s dressing like he's 18 wearing a white leather skirt, shit looks ridiculous SMMFH. In the 90s he was making soul music and dropping T-P and R. those were classic albums. The quality of music has changed dramatically, it might be a similar subject matter but the feel and authenticity is long gone.

Rappers like A$AP Ferg, Rick Ross, Drake, Meek, Curren$y, Wale, Kanye, Big Sean the shit they saying is so basic but still we praise it like it's heaven in our ears - but all that shows is that we've been so used to terrible music for the last decade and change, that we'll accept cuz niggas have nothing of worth to compare it to. Nowadays it's cool to be a phoney and pretend to be shit you aint (Rick Ross), nowadays it's cool for men to act like divas (Drake, Wale, Kanye) when things don't go their way versus just putting it in a rap and we shun niggas for being confrontational and beefing if they say something is wack or called a hater (50 Cent). Remember when LL Cool J could do a song like Round A Way girl and then on the next few tracks diss Kool Moe Dee or even Canibus ? Remember when Chef and Ghost Deini weren't scared to put blatant subliminals coming at Bad Boy and Biggie IN mainstream songs/albums ? Ice Cube and Public Enemy felt no way about showing you social commentary not just when they appeared on talk shows but in their videos as well (New Jack by Ice T is still one of the most brilliant videos I've ever seen). The way things are today versus the 90s is the reason why when Kendrick did his "Control" verse it got the type of attention it did. If it was the 90s no one would have cared cuz it would have been expected of him beforehand.

There's too much passivity in music today to where we give lames like 2 Chainz, Ross awards for lyrics of the year (BET awards SMMFH) and praise lukewarm shit that got dope production but lazy lyrics. Now before niggas throw tomatoes at me, let me say that we have dope artists like Kendrick Lamar, the TDE crew, Run The Jewels, Mac Miller, J.Cole, Jay Electronica, Pusha T and many many others who are putting it down and in the long term I think it'll get better but to make a comparison b/w now and the 90s is simply unfair. You know how many classic albums we got in the 90s ? Come on now. It was simply a different era and time and one in which can't be compared and shouldn't be....

Just my 2 cents,
    Sion

bravo.gif
    kingdergSoloman_The_WiseDisciplined InSightMister B.Smokey Tha Banditfyahmon
  • illedoutilledout Posts: 7,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • KalecrunchKalecrunch Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    trillizm wrote: »
    my biggest complaint about rap nowadays besides the redundant subject matter is that biting flows is acceptable.
    that shit was a no no back then. not to say it didnt happened but u were called out for it at least.

Am the only one who notices that Meek Mills flow is bitten heavily recently? Jigga surpisingly is one of the biters.
    Soloman_The_Wise
  • tupacfan35tupacfan35 Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭
    zombie wrote: »

We're now at the cyclical point in fashion and culture were the 90s are to be revived. So maybe things will get better.

I Doubt it.
  • pissedoffnobodypissedoffnobody Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2013
    *Yawn*

this thread is soooooo 2006.

if u don't feel this song NOW then you WOULDNT have felt this song in 1993

So then explain why Lord Jamar isn't feeling new artists?

Explain why Souljah Boy put Ice T on blast for breakdancing?

There is a difference in the cultural understanding of generations, experience and knowledge are gained with age, a toddler ain't going to no more than a scholar. Just cause you and I can both drawsomething, doesn't mean we'll draw the same thing to the same standard if I'm a professional with years of experience and you doodle on a notepad when you're bored on the phone or play Draw Something on the toilet.

You do understand times change, not always for the better right? You realise the Dark ages came after the Age Of Enlightenment and things only got better thanks to the Renaissance when they rediscovered old things, learned to appreciate them and starting re-learning things that had been locked up or forgotten because the Church and state heads decided the masses couldn't be controlled if they could get educated and empowered, right?

Probably not, but I'm going to ask anyway.

If you don't, then that explain a lot and why history is repeating itself with folks like you thinking this way. Progress is made by learning from the mistakes of history while building on their successes. Not being ignorant of the way people went in order to get success unless you want to fail because you don't know better than the folks in the past who fucked up.
  • GCM23GCM23 Posts: 2
    It's obvious that Rap isn't what it used to be, but now we got Songs like Anime's "Caroline" (First time I heard that song, I laughed so hard, you'd think Kevin Hart was performing). However, Desiigner's "Panda" which at first sounded like a joke, but after I listened to it for a while, I realized it was actually a good song. But overall the 90s and early 2000s was the Golden Age for Hip Hop and I was barely alive to really see it.
  • The Lonious MonkThe Lonious Monk Man with No Fucks Given Posts: 23,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think anyone has ever said they didn't rap about the same subject matter in the 90s. However, I would say that there was more variety. Like pretty much everyone that is popular raps about the same thing, whereas back then, people could get famous doing gangsta, conscious, abstract, whatever as long as it was good.

The differences between now and then are more that no one wants to be different now and people then actually looked at rap as a craft to improve upon and perfect. Nowadays, dudes just want to make money off it.
    Nechesh358
  • SuperManuelSuperManuel I'll getchu bitch!!! Somewhere drunk off my ass.Posts: 16,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 20
    i miss those days back when niggas used to Flow. Chief of keef aint hip hop. He talks over beats. all he's doing is telling us what he don't like. That's the shit I don't like.
    king hassan
  • englishdudeenglishdude Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back in the 90s hip hop governed itself, in 2017 big wig label heads govern the sound cus all they want is a quick cash return and many artists are happy to take that route.
  • StreetRapStreetRap Posts: 174 ✭✭
    edited March 20
    back then it was more of a struggle now youth got it made compared to back in the days.

there was entertainment in the come up rags to riches

some are born into a Hip Hop family already rich,some was tv stars as young kids

drake-degrassi-oct22.jpg

Look how skinny my boi K.B. was comin up
    Street%20Military%20-%20Next%20Episode%20rear.jpg
    Woah that ish is like prophetic they helping K.B. light the sweet like giving him the game,Pharoah on lock and K.B. the last 1 really reppin Street Military the hardest. I hope Pharoah get's off lock.

The struggle is not the same unless you came up in the Street Military era
    D.D.S.AcresShakersinfamous114
  • Nechesh358Nechesh358 Posts: 101 ✭✭
    In the 90s rappers had their own style n sound. Ya there was copy cats but not like there are today.
  • Ear2DaStEar2DaSt Posts: 9,220 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The market is flooded to me
13»