How Black Culture Has Failed Hip-Hop

Like WaterLike Water Still Water's Run Deep Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
Let me start out by saying that this "rant" is completely off the top. Macklemore and Ryan Lewis probably haven't even had the time to realize they're holding onto awards that they know, in their hearts, they don't deserve. Lorde's awful performance that spits in the face of many rap artists is probably still ringing in the audience's ears.

That's two coined "hip-hop" acts that are clearly not hip-hop. Them not being "hip-hop" has nothing to do with the fact that they're white, but everything to do with their sound and their fan base. It's borderline comedic watching people argue that these artists belong in the same genre with the Kendricks, Kwelis, Commons, and Fiascos. Why did I use "conscious" or "backpack" rappers in this argument? Simple. Mainstream media, a.k.a. white people, would have you believe that all rappers are irresponsible, gun-toting, jewelry wearing, crack pushing thugs. Richard Sherman need not apply. Yet if you ask a white guy, who thinks rap begins and ends with Eminem, about Talib Kweli, you'll get the blankest stare known to mankind. The irony that Talib toured with Macklemore is not lost on me either.

So how is this "black culture's" problem? Well, for starters, here you have a group like The Roots, who have an incredible emcee in Black Thought, who has spoken on everything from politics, society's ills, the black plight, and enjoying life, not getting shine outside of a Jimmy Fallon set. WTF?! Enter Macklemore, who raps about the same shit that 50-11 rappers before him rapped about (sans the homosexuality), put him on a pop beat, make him white and watch people coo at him like he's a newborn baby. "OMG! He's so refreshing!" "Yeah, he's not like those other rappers who only talk about bitches and hoes." "His music is fun!"

But the thing is black people, this shit ain't new. Nor is it unwarranted. We're more apathetic than Miami Heat fans. Our ADHD is awe-inspiring. We ALLOWED this to happen. We won't support any of our own artists, good or bad. It doesn't matter if you're Janelle Monae or Trinidad James. We ALLOW outsiders to dictate the direction of our genre. They didn't have to break the door down, we opened it and said, "Come on in suh!" Why wouldn't they take advantage and exploit all of our hard work, history and originality? There's no longer resistance. No longer a backbone. No longer pride and sense of self. Unity is a foreign word in the land of black America. A finger is easily broken. A fist, however? Not so much.

This "rant" of mine could go on forever. There are so many things wrong when a "rap" album like Kendrick's GKMC can be overlooked because one of his peers is white, thrifty, and thought he was gay at 12. All while having subpar lyricism on a pop backdrop. Or when Justin Timberlake can win in a R&B category and Janelle Monae can't even get a mention. Something's gotta give. Either we continue to acquiesce to their whims, place material things above our self respect and lose everything, or wake up and do something about the nonsense.

Hopefully the latter occurs. Soon. Until it does though, go listen to Mos Def's Black On Both Sides and pay close attention the intro. If you want to know where hip-hop is going, ask yourself, "Where are our people going?" Because if these Grammys are any indication of black people in hip-hop, then we're not going anywhere... We're already gone.

/rant.

Listencloser5th LetterNothingButTheTruthMister B.Rubato GarciajonoCocoa_ButterMorganFreemanKingYoung StefQZApurpngoldBlack_Samsonking hassangoldenjabigev240[Deleted User]harry knuckleznj2089clippyclipp n*ggasr_the_freshman5 GrandTheRicanKingChicityshiekyFy_HunnitMzoatmealdudegman8232DaysOfInfinitiMR.CJDisciplined InSightTrillaaaaaaT. SanfordxxCivicxxLEMZWYN_LANISTERbossdon201airspeeze23#1hiphopjunki3Kwan Dai

Replies

• jonojono Complacency is the enemy of progress... Posts: 15,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • ListencloserListencloser Posts: 706 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • 5th Letter5th Letter Posts: 25,413 Regulator
    The problem is that we don't have anybody with any control doing anything in our favor. We have no one pushing our agendas. Meanwhile Macklemore has the gays in his pocket for support. Lorde has the Jews. All these corporations are ran by gays or Jews/whites. The only ones we have that can affect change don't want to step on toes to mess up their relationships with those Jews.

So basically we're screwed and this is only gonna get worse.
    Like WaterJerfyTsr_the_freshmanxxCivicxx
  • Swiffness!Swiffness! Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nobody really think Lorde is a Hip-Hop act. Nobody believe that. Covering a Kanye song and having Rick Ross do a remix of your shit doesn't classify you as "hip-hop", even the dumbest white music critics can figure that one out. I've heard her referred to as "Hip-Hop influenced" and shit but that's it. She blew up at 17, be happy for a ugly bish made good lol.

Got dayum, I'm getting tired of niggas treating Hip-Hop like its some fragile-ass Fabergé Egg in constant danger of being ruined by White People. Shit made it this far, didn't it? Survived this much corporate exploitation and media hate and radio nonsense and outright racist bullshit, right? And yet here we are, still listening to our Sean Price records. Oh my god we survived wow lmao.

lmao @ "Grammys disrespect rap music" being breaking news. Go look at the list of Best Rap Album winners sometime. The Heist is better than most of them shits.
    nujerz84ListencloserFatterThanKatpurpngoldachewon87AggyAFonetoughmiracle
  • NothingButTheTruthNothingButTheTruth Posts: 9,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    5th Letter wrote: »
    The problem is that we don't have anybody with any control doing anything in our favor. We have no one pushing our agendas. Meanwhile Macklemore has the gays in his pocket for support. Lorde has the Jews. All these corporations are ran by gays or Jews/whites. The only ones we have that can affect change don't want to step on toes to mess up their relationships with those Jews.

The reason why we don't control anything right now as far as business-wise is because we all sold out. Black people are for sale and will continue to be for sale until we build any real wealth (which is hard as fuck because all the rich niggas stay going the interracial route AKA entertainers or are simply white-washed). A lot of us are programmed to have a "get money over anything" attitude as this is where it leads us.

However, despite the hole we've created for ourselves, if the right artists starting using the internet in a direct to consumer kind of way we can still take it back. We just need to get behind the right artists (the ones who are solely about the culture, yet also have skills) and it can work.
    Wild Self1of1xxCivicxx

The reason why we don't control anything right now as far as business-wise is because we all sold out. Black people are for sale and will continue to be for sale until we build any real wealth (which is hard as fuck because all the rich niggas stay going the interracial route AKA entertainers or are simply white-washed). A lot of us are programmed to have a "get money over anything" attitude as this is where it leads us.

However, despite the hole we've created for ourselves, if the right artists starting using the internet in a direct to consumer kind of way we can still take it back. We just need to get behind the right artists (the ones who are solely about the culture, yet also have skills) and it can work.

We failed in the sense that from the time hip hop started we always relied on whites. But we never had anyone emerge in a position of power.
    edited January 27
    We failed in the sense that from the time hip hop started we always relied on whites. But we never had anyone emerge in a position of power.

I'm not sure I know what you mean by that, but it's okay to rely on someone, if you have a plan to eventually overthrow them or do your own thing.

I would say we had people in power like Russell Simmons and Def Jam or Bob Johnson and BET, it's just they were for sale because they put their bank accounts over the culture. But then again you can't force people to make a sacrifice, if they don't want to. They were simply business men trying to make a buck.
    Young Stef#1hiphopjunki3

I'm not sure I know what you mean by that, but it's okay to rely on someone, if you have a plan to eventually overthrow them or do your own thing.

I would say we had people in power like Russell Simmons and Def Jam or Bob Johnson and BET, it's just they were for sale because they put their bank accounts over the culture. But then again you can't force people to make a sacrifice, if they don't want to. They were simply business men trying to make a buck.

What I meant is that in the beginning we needed whites because they owned the record labels and recording studios etc. But we never had anyone step up in any meaningful position of power. If we had a few blacks in power things would be different today. Instead whites and Jews own everything and they can dictate what to push.
    Btw I know no one wants to admit this because the rapper who said this was wack, and the rapper he was talking about actually had talent... but this is all a snowball effect of Dre cosigning Eminem and Benzino tried to warn us what would happen.

Letting Em in was the inch they needed.
    gemini86Young StefGunTownxxCivicxx
  • gemini86gemini86 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Btw I know no one wants to admit this because the rapper who said this was wack, and the rapper he was talking about actually had talent... but this is all a snowball effect of Dre cosigning Eminem and Benzino tried to warn us what would happen.

no way I can cosign that. Eminem is talented like u said. u cant deny his hard work and lyricism in the rap game. u make it sound like we should've boycotted him.

this macklemore shit is just disrespect. Kendrick deserved it
    gman82SWAMPGOD
  • Mister B.Mister B. The IC'sTeacher...learn some shit! Posts: 8,899 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man, fuck all this shit.

There's only one solution left now: Hip-Hop has to be destroyed. Demolished. Totally ripped apart. Then it can be rebuilt on the principles that the people had more of a say, back when it was a underground sensation and not corrupted by corporations.
    Young StefBuilt 4 cuban linxSWAMPGOD
    gemini86 wrote: »

no way I can cosign that. Eminem is talented like u said. u cant deny his hard work and lyricism in the rap game. u make it sound like we should've boycotted him.

this macklemore shit is just disrespect. Kendrick deserved it

Way back when, Benzino was talking on how Em could make conscious songs and emo songs and still get play on the radio and break records, yet when a black rapper did it, they didn't get any play.

That's essentially what happened with Macklemore. Macklemore is being marketed as the rapper that talks about actual real life issues, while the rest of the rappers are looked at as either flashy or gangster rappers.

Black people are forced to make club sounding songs or violent songs to sell records. White people are free to do as they choose.

So in conclusion, yes if we wanted to keep rap black, we should have boycotted him. I don't know why this is such a hard concept for most people to grasp. White people boycott black people out of plenty of things ...and as far as Em, he's no different than Elvis. He has some skill, but a few generations from now our children will be talking about how Em is the king of rap.
    xxCivicxx
    Mister B. wrote: »
    Man, fuck all this shit.

There's only one solution left now: Hip-Hop has to be destroyed. Demolished. Totally ripped apart. Then it can be rebuilt on the principles that the people had more of a say, back when it was a underground sensation and not corrupted by corporations.

I think David Banner had a great solution via his website. He asked for his fans to donate at least a dollar to his project and he would provide them with a video for most of his songs and a new album. The only reason why it didn't work as well as it should of is because he doesn't have a huge following, and IMO he's a mediocre rapper. I think bigger artists like Nas or Lupe could work this marketing scheme much better.

Elzhi also had a solution, where he had some kind of kickstarter thing where if his fans donated a certain amount, they would get a "free" copy of the album, if they donated more they would get a t-shirt and some tickets to a show etc.

Nipsey Hussle as well.

In other words, these rappers need to get on their hustle and take out the middleman.
    Young StefLike WaterT. Sanford1of1
  • gemini86gemini86 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the time Eminem was in his prime u had plenty of conscious records getting play.

Kanye, nas, 2pac(even though he was dead), dilated peoples, black eyes peas, beanie sigel, jada kiss, and even DMX had some records that were conscious. Don't know what u talking about.

Benzino just tried to get famous by dissing the hottest rapper out. He thought Em was an easy target
    Young StefWild SelfL3NUits....JOHN BxxCivicxxdwade206
  • cannonspike1994cannonspike1994 Posts: 339 ✭✭✭
    Big and Pac never won grammys it isn't even a hip hop show.
    FatterThanKatYoung Stefpurpngoldgman82
    Swiffness! wrote: »

We didn't fail. Black people don't have 7 generations of billionaires still spending slave and opium money. Of course it relied on whites, who else was gonna print up them CDs cuz? Even if you do it yourself, you'd be buying the blanks from a white man somewhere. You independent, you still getting distributed by a major corporation. A young Barack Obama wrote about this when he analyzed Farrakhan's attempts to produce a toothpaste brand "by and for Black People" - what's the fucking point if you're ultimately buying all those toothpaste supplies from a White Man?

Hip-Hop's only hope of "not relying on whites" was to wave a magic fuckin' wand and undo 5 centuries of White Privilege bullshit.

I did say hip hop needed whites in the beginning. The problem was that no black person gained any power of note. We have no one that can dictate anything in our favor. Everything is ran by the Jews/whites and gays.
  • zombiezombie Posts: 10,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hip hop didn't need whites for a motherfucking thing. they are never satisfied until they influence everything. they couldn't just listen to the fucking music they had to make it as well.
    JerfyTnj2089xxCivicxx
  • K_FisherK_Fisher Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Forget all the rants as they will pretty much hit a brick a wall.If the grammy got you mad just single out all their sponsors, get over 10,000 petition signatures of people ready to boy cott any sponsor that align themselves with the grammies.

El Pueblo Unido, Jamás Será Vencido!!!

Okay sorry I got carried away there.personally,id give 0 fucks if Punjab mc got best rap album.Most Hiphop artists have taken hiphop for granted and made it a joke.Of course the rest of the world will follow suit.Don't scream for recognition when you don't show the art respect.
    FatterThanKat