Straight Outta Compton Movie - Official Thread (8-14)

1202122232426»

Replies

• J.J._EvansJ.J._Evans Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    JERRY HELLER SUES DR. DRE, CUBE AND 'COMPTON' PRODUCERS FOR DEFAMATION

1030-jerry-heller-dr-dre-tmz-4.jpg

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2015/10/30/jerry-heller-sues-dr-dre-cube-straight-outta-compton-defamation/#ixzz3q5Ki2RS4

Jerry Heller is suing everyone connected with "Straight Outta Compton," alleging the movie defamed him ... and he wants $110 MILLION minimum.

Heller has just filed suit against Ice Cube, Dr. Dre, the Estate of Eazy-E, NBC Universal and others, claiming the portrayal of him in the movie was false and damaging.

Heller says he was portrayed as "the bad guy" and "a sleazy manager who took advantage of Eazy-E, Dr. Dre and Ice Cube." And he says there are other lies in the movie, including:

-- He withheld a $75k check from Ice Cube

-- He fraudulently induced Dre and Cube to sign unfavorable contracts

-- He enjoyed lobster brunches while the contracts were being signed

-- He was fired by Eazy-E

He claims he never gave permission to use his likeness and he wants profits from the movie as well because NBC sold tickets off his back. He also claims producers used his book without permission for pivotal scenes, including the one where Suge Knight strong-armed Eazy-E into signing away his rights to Death Row.

And this is funny ... he says producers didn't even bother to give his character a fake name, like "Gary Beller."

You'll recall Heller sat in the front row with his lawyers when the movie premiered.

He's suing for $35 million in compensatory damages and at least $75 mil in punitives ... plus all profits from the flick.
    Olorun22
  • Olorun22Olorun22 Posts: 5,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    J.J._Evans wrote: »

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2015/10/30/jerry-heller-sues-dr-dre-cube-straight-outta-compton-defamation/#ixzz3q5Ki2RS4

Jerry Heller is suing everyone connected with "Straight Outta Compton," alleging the movie defamed him ... and he wants $110 MILLION minimum.

Heller has just filed suit against Ice Cube, Dr. Dre, the Estate of Eazy-E, NBC Universal and others, claiming the portrayal of him in the movie was false and damaging.

Heller says he was portrayed as "the bad guy" and "a sleazy manager who took advantage of Eazy-E, Dr. Dre and Ice Cube." And he says there are other lies in the movie, including:

He claims he never gave permission to use his likeness and he wants profits from the movie as well because NBC sold tickets off his back. He also claims producers used his book without permission for pivotal scenes, including the one where Suge Knight strong-armed Eazy-E into signing away his rights to Death Row.

And this is funny ... he says producers didn't even bother to give his character a fake name, like "Gary Beller."

You'll recall Heller sat in the front row with his lawyers when the movie premiered.

He's suing for $35 million in compensatory damages and at least $75 mil in punitives ... plus all profits from the flick.

He Wants All The profits lol
    Tsotsi Cape Town5 GrandThereal_ba
  • $ineedmoney$$ineedmoney$ The bushes is watchin'... Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jerry Heller claims he was never fired by Eazy-E

...@2:30...
    Tsotsi Cape Townsouth4life
  • 5 Grand5 Grand Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

He can't win. All it takes is for Cube, Dre, Yella and Ren to take the witness stand and say that he ripped them off.

It would be his word against theirs. If I was on the jury I'd believe the 4 surviving members.
    l3q2V2OBfjNAWtrUc.gif

Tsotsi Cape Town
  • damobb2deepdamobb2deep Posts: 19,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    5 Grand wrote: »

He can't win. All it takes is for Cube, Dre, Yella and Ren to take the witness stand and say that he ripped them off.

It would be his word against theirs. If I was on the jury I'd believe the 4 surviving members.

all it would take is for them to ask about the papers that show he paid them... he can't prove that.. he over. .
  • TheGOATTheGOAT The ReasonPosts: 13,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BluRay review

As expected, Universal Studios have delivered a damn pretty Blu-ray for Straight Outta Compton. The transfer is beautifully crisp and clear, while the audio mix really shines, delivering iconic music with gut-punch fidelity and clarity. The disc also features an “Unrated Director’s Cut” of the film, but anyone (like myself) hoping that it might fix the glossed-over problems of the theatrical will be disappointed. Sadly, this version is merely 20 minutes longer, not a radically different version. I suppose the second half isn’t quite as choppy in this form, but the simplistic morality slapped onto NWA remains. Too bad, but given that the movie was a hit, we were never going to get a radically different version.

The special feature section is plentiful, if slight. A few additional deleted scenes are available as well as six 2-8-minute featurettes. Half of these featurettes are about the film’s production and the other half feature original NWA members sharing memories. They’re all pretty fun to watch and professionally produced, but too fast and choppy to deliver much insight. Sadly, the Blu-ray producers’ concerns about appealing to a low attention span audience robbed viewers of a chance of getting an “in-their-own-words” documentary about NWA to run alongside the feature film (Perhaps that’s being saved for a future special edition release. That would certainly make sense). The most substantial special feature is a commentary from director F. Gary Gray who gets into great detail about the challenges of getting the film to the screen that’s quite entertaining and enlightening.

http://dorkshelf.com/2016/01/14/straight-outta-compton-blu-ray-review/
    $ineedmoney$5 GrandPlutarchTsotsi Cape Town
  • StewStew Rap Music Is My Religion We run this spot like a Chinese sweatshopPosts: 50,352 Regulator
    edited January 2016
    Should we FOF this thread? Maybe merge with the Compton thread?
    Olorun22
  • TrillfateTrillfate "i used to like the Ride more now i like the Race...i used like the Prize more now i like the Chase" Posts: 22,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stew wrote: »
    Should we FOF this thread? Maybe merge with the Compton thread?

Dont Merge, but FOF both @stew
    z4qp8gvofqsm.gif
    StewTheGOATIntelligent_Hoodlum Tsotsi Cape Town
  • jee504jee504 Posts: 6,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Copped mine today. Had to support
    Stew
  • StewStew Rap Music Is My Religion We run this spot like a Chinese sweatshopPosts: 50,352 Regulator
    TheGOAT wrote: »
    I got the bluray from best buy too and they didnt give me a fuckin shirt

Bastards

lol may have been sold out, was only 3 left when I copped mine around lunch time.
    TheGOAT
  • playmaker88playmaker88 Boy, I tell you that's vision Like Tony Romo when he hitting Witten Posts: 66,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great Film ill just copy and paste my LCA post
    Just watched this today. This was much better than i anticipated hell of a film.. and ill take back my comments scoffing at the idea that this should receive Oscar consideration. It take me back to a time when Rap was catching hell from political figures and the most infamous crime of police brutality of that time. Which at the time i was aware of being 11. This summer i went in the crates on Ice Cube and NWA as i was too young at that point. But yeah this joint can be seeing as part history, part social bookmark, part coming of age film. It was pretty long but i didn't feel like i suffered through it it was a good watch.
    StewYapatnaJBjee504
    Great Film ill just copy and paste my LCA post
    Just watched this today. This was much better than i anticipated hell of a film.. and ill take back my comments scoffing at the idea that this should receive Oscar consideration. It take me back to a time when Rap was catching hell from political figures and the most infamous crime of police brutality of that time. Which at the time i was aware of being 11. This summer i went in the crates on Ice Cube and NWA as i was too young at that point. But yeah this joint can be seeing as part history, part social bookmark, part coming of age film. It was pretty long but i didn't feel like i suffered through it it was a good watch.

Whoever came up with the quote on the cover is genius......"THE GROUP THAT DEFINED A GENERATION BECOMES THE MOVIE OF OUR TIME"
  • playmaker88playmaker88 Boy, I tell you that's vision Like Tony Romo when he hitting Witten Posts: 66,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really didnt think anything of it but yeah you are right that was brilliant more things change more things change the same
    Ill leave this open for a few more days, watched the directors cut last night and a couple things....

1. The deleted scenes were deleted for a good reason, wasnt many tho.

2. The extra parts that were omitted from the on-screen movie were noticeable, I wont spoil it but they went more into detail on a couple things that a lot of ppl were complaining about after watching it when it first came out.

Great cop.
    jee504TheGOAT
  • NeighborhoodNomad. NeighborhoodNomad. Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stew wrote: »
    Ill leave this open for a few more days, watched the directors cut last night and a couple things....

1. The deleted scenes were deleted for a good reason, wasnt many tho.

2. The extra parts that were omitted from the on-screen movie were noticeable, I wont spoil it but they went more into detail on a couple things that a lot of ppl were complaining about after watching it when it first came out.

Great cop.

Did they explain the straw switching tho?
    RawAce
    Just watched the directors cut & special features.

Bone Sloan is in a few of the special features. Looks like he was a regular on the set.

They had Paul Giamatti dressed up like Jerry Heller, rockin a gold dookie chain, hittin switches in a lowrider. It was GOAT

DJ Jazzy Jeff actually did the scratches on that dope mux Dre is spinning when he & cubes characters 1st come together.

Gunna watch it again tonight with director commentary. Maybe that will finally solve the straws mystery.
    jee504Tsotsi Cape TownBusta Carmichael
    Watchin director commentary.

-no in depth analysis on straw switching. F Gary just called it "a funny moment"

-F Gary called the DOC a houston mc (smh)
  • $ineedmoney$$ineedmoney$ The bushes is watchin'... Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...Watched the DVD last night and all the extras and Eazy was loosing it in the extra clips after Cube left and dissed them back...Cube was the goose that layed them golden eggs *Clay Davis*...
    ...Watched the DVD last night and all the extras and Eazy was loosing it in the extra clips after Cube left and dissed them back...Cube was the goose that layed them golden eggs *Clay Davis*...

Yea in the director commentary Gary said Dr Dre said himself that NWA was really never the same after No Vasaline
This discussion has been closed.