Car Audio

StewStew Rap Music Is My ReligionWe run this spot like a Chinese sweatshopPosts: 49,741 Regulator
Did a search, couldnt find anything recent for this but as some of you may know I got my woofers and amp stolen a few weeks ago and thats basically the only system Ive had for about 15 years so I never really had to be hip on car audio cause my shit always sounded great and only had to tweek my amp a few times. Been trying to forget about the shit and give it some time but riding around in my truck with factory speakers or my headphones aint the business lol So trynna see what yall got, know about the woofer game, maybe point me in the right direction or others.

This isnt my pic but its the exact same box I had with 12' Pioneers to go along with a 600 Watt Kenwood Amp in a small SUV.

182496306_dual-12quot-pioneer-600w-subwoofers-in-pro-bend-r-t-.jpg

Ive been searching around for it but It doesnt seem like theyre that accessible anymore. Went to a fancy car audio spot the other day and guy gave me the run down on why Bandpass boxes arent that good yadda yadda, cool thats fine I dont need the same shit, I never used woofers to compete or out shine another nigga or whatever just like my music louder than most. He suggested some JL Audio joints like this

639x426xjl_audio_cp212-w0v3_angle-right.jpg.pagespeed.ic.yUtLlgARR0.jpg

Now keep in mind this place is a spot where stars come in and get their shit customized with top notch shit or whatever so I dont know If he's just trying to get me to buy the best shit they got or what but whatever thats why Im here. Not really trying to pay A1 prices for a system, just want some nice decent shit thats not gonna break down on me for whatever reason. Figured If my last shit lasted me 15 years with no problems I should be able to find some other shit that will do the same.

Replies

• Bcotton5Bcotton5 Posts: 51,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lol yea I had my same system for like 12 years, only had to replace the amp once when it burned out

I had 3 JL audios 12's I got them for the lows from a nigga I went to school with

Im pretty sure you wont find the exact same speakers you had from before I think companies release new models every year

Pioneer is known for their quality radios/cd players/decks. I think alpine and pioneer are the go to for those

I havent bought new ones in a long time but JL audios have always been good. and Kicker solo baric/L7's have always been top notch. Im not sure about prices though
    Stewaneed1235onblackhandside
    in michigan we got this place called gibraltar trade center where you can get all the sound system shit for the lows so I always went thru them
    MD_PROPER
  • Black_SamsonBlack_Samson do 10 pushups everytime you read my post... you know you want too. Posts: 60,506 Regulator
    Ive had bandpasses
    Ive had enclosed boxes and ported boxes.

Ported and bandpasses were the best.

With that being said.

JL Audio at one point in time was running the game with their W7 series.

Just make sure all your shits marries.

Amp, ohms and what not.

You can buy you a decent setup from walmart too. Prolly replace what you had for under 300 and still sound as good.

Dis they take your wires too? If not then dont pay for install, just buy your stuff and i will talk you thru an install.
    StewonetoughmiracleMD_PROPER
  • StewStew Rap Music Is My Religion We run this spot like a Chinese sweatshopPosts: 49,741 Regulator
    Ive had bandpasses
    Ive had enclosed boxes and ported boxes.

Ported and bandpasses were the best.

With that being said.

JL Audio at one point in time was running the game with their W7 series.

Just make sure all your shits marries.

Amp, ohms and what not.

You can buy you a decent setup from walmart too. Prolly replace what you had for under 300 and still sound as good.

Dis they take your wires too? If not then dont pay for install, just buy your stuff and i will talk you thru an install.

I shouldn't need a whole new install but then again I dnt really know, this is pretty much what's left

ngwEQxQ.jpg
    Lurkristocrat
  • Black_SamsonBlack_Samson do 10 pushups everytime you read my post... you know you want too. Posts: 60,506 Regulator
    I think I see all the wires.
    Red wire = 12v power

Skinny blue = remote wire

Black wire = ground

RCA connections = amp input

Just may need to repurchase speaker wires. But you can get a spool of that from radio shack.
    Bender Rodriguez
    what year is that explorer?

if i were you i'd go the lo-pro route and get a stealth box stuck up under the back seat, or built into the bed or tail gate.
  • StewStew Rap Music Is My Religion We run this spot like a Chinese sweatshopPosts: 49,741 Regulator
    Check this one out.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_136110W0V3/JL-Audio-CP110-W0v3.html?tp=112

Just need a matching mono channel amp.

Or do a cross over on a cheaper dual channel amp.
  • kingtob330kingtob330 Posts: 336 ✭✭✭✭
    Always go with the ported box in an suv. If you've got a high budget, I can give you suggestions that will bust the windows in that truck. If you want bangs on a budget, take a look at Audiopipe subs and amps. They make a great product for the low, and they last.
    StewBlack_SamsonCinco
  • KoltrainKoltrain MOPosts: 3,168 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ported boxes are good when they are tuned right , according to your speaker's cutoff freq and recommended box specs. Im a big fan of kicker..i used to have 2 L7 15's on a hifonics 1800 watt Brutus. That shit was ridiculous. I got 2 L7 12's now and they bang too....

Kicker cvrs and alpine type r's are great affordable subs to look at.
    Stew
  • aneed123aneed123 Posts: 22,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jl are good but they gonna tax. I fuck wit jbl a d Polk
    Ported box for big knock sealed box of tight bass
    if im not mistaken ported and bandpasses are for trucks, SUV's and hatchbacks...

sealed is for actual closed off trunks.

sound between the two is subjective really, it's all about preserving the life of the subs with proper sealing.
    mosincredible
    if im not mistaken ported and bandpasses are for trucks, SUV's and hatchbacks...

sealed is for actual closed off trunks.

sound between the two is subjective really, it's all about preserving the life of the subs with proper sealing.

Ive had ported and seal boxes in my cars... the port makes the bass boomier the sealed is a tighter cleaner bass. The ported box is bigger and heavier too. U may be right in the initial premise over them tho.
    mosincredibleKoltrain
  • CincoCinco Real Nigga Minerals Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    It's actually the opposite @Black_Samson.
    @stew that band pass box u had was prob boomy but wasn't very accurate bass.
    My suggestion would be a slot ported box with about 1k watt amp.
    $_1.JPG

2 kicker Comp VRs with a slot ported box
    Give them 500w each
    Check out hifisoundconnection they have a lot of kicker stuff on sale
    StewBlack_Samson
    Cinco wrote: »
    It's actually the opposite @Black_Samson.
    @stew that band pass box u had was prob boomy but wasn't very accurate bass.
    My suggestion would be a slot ported box with about 1k watt amp.
    $_1.JPG

2 kicker Comp VRs with a slot ported box
    Give them 500w each
    Check out hifisoundconnection they have a lot of kicker stuff on sale

Yep, that set up is just right for that explorer. Not doin too much, but you'll be heard.
    Hey the more people that post the better.
    Way i see it, he is asking for help in making an educated decision and we are all doing just that... helping him.

Thanks for pointing out my error.
    Stew
    Kickers knock.

I had some in the first car i bought on credit. Had them in a sealed box in the hatch of a hyundai accent.

But they blew cause the right side wasnt glued completely shut so air would escape into the left channel and conflict with what the left speaker was doing.

Seperated the cone from the sound coil... shit sounded like.... pissed off wasp in a brown paper bag.
    Cinco
    Kicker makes good subs too. My first pair were some kicker comp 12s...
    Bcotton5
    yea kicker comps are nice
    OmegaConflict
    Mine were kicker competition 10s
    They blew in 02.

Then i moved on to wolfenhagen... some obscure pawn shop brand, but them shits hit harder than the kickers did. Held out till petey pablo's vibrate dropped.

Then i had to upgrade to audiobahn and memphis audio
    Bought 2 audiobahn 15q's and a Memphis Audio Memphis Belle amp in 04 and aint had to buy a replacement since...
  • Recaptimus_Prime360Recaptimus_Prime360 Earned my Masters and Ph.d in Phat Booty-ology Posts: 61,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone know if they sell the Beats by Dre subwoofer they put in the Chargers?
    If you go with kicker, you gotta go L 7's. Not the cheapest, but they slap. You'll definitely piss your neighbors off