Official College Basketball thread/prospect watch

Replies

• bull6599bull6599 Posts: 6,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crude_ wrote: »
    Crude_ wrote: »
    This kinda helps me know Dean Smith was overrated with all that talent he had come through there in the early 80 to mid 90s.

He should have more than 2 national titles to his name.

Roy Williams already has 3 to his name in like 15 years probably should have 4 to his name Villanova just got hot at the right time last year.

But the parity in those days was better than it is now.....Roy Williams damn near had nba teams for his first 2 ships at UNC

He still had to go out and recruit those guys and even then there was no guarantee of a title.

Calipari at Kentucky is a good example of this. Guy is a great recruiter but an average coach. Roy Williams ain't exactly the cream of the crop either but he can get his talent over the top.

I thought they should have went further when they had Harrison Barnes, Henson, and Kendall Marshall too. Those years were kinda squandered I thought Williams possibly left a national championship on the table there.

Had Marshall not gotten injured last night would've been number 4...alas I can now forgive Creigjton for their transgressions
  • So ILLSo ILL Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just saw Wichita State is about to leave the MVC to go to the AAC. That makes two of the better schools leaving in the last 5 years after Creighton left in 2013 smh.
    King_MOEbra
  • TheBossmanTheBossman Maybe next year........ Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • stringer bellstringer bell Posts: 21,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/19097642/lavar-ball-casts-blame-ucla-bruins-white-guys
    LaVar Ball casts blame on UCLA 'white guys'

LaVar Ball, the outspoken father of former UCLA guard Lonzo Ball, gave two reasons Thursday for why the Bruins were eliminated in the NCAA tournament: Lonzo was saddled by a hamstring injury, and some of his teammates, whom LaVar referred to as "three white guys," couldn't pick up the slack.

Lonzo Ball did not mention the injury after the Bruins' Sweet 16 loss to Kentucky, and UCLA coach Steve Alford said he believed his player was fine.

Realistically you can't win no championship with three white guys because the foot speed is too slow," LaVar Ball told the Southern California News Group, presumably talking about Bruins starters TJ Leaf, Bryce Alford and Thomas Welsh.

"I told Lonzo, 'One of these games you might need to go for 30 or 40 points.' It turned out that was the one game," LaVar Ball added. "Then once they get to the Elite Eight, they're right there."

Lonzo Ball is a likely lottery pick in this summer's NBA draft, with ESPN's Chad Ford projecting him to go No. 2 overall in his latest mock draft. Ball has filed paperwork for the draft and has hired an agent after playing one season at UCLA.

He is a finalist for the John R. Wooden Award, which will be handed out Friday night in Los Angeles during ESPN's College Basketball Awards show (ESPN2).

LaVar Ball's middle son, LiAngelo, is set to play at UCLA next season. His youngest son, LaMelo, is committed to UCLA in the class of 2019.

Kentucky defeated UCLA 85-76 to advance to the South Region final, where it lost to eventual champion North Carolina.

bukma77rzag3.gif

tumblr_inline_n8mcxyz3Sb1qc0sxf.gif

detcatinvaBDBIIDKing_MOEbra313 wayz
  • farris2k1farris2k1 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 7
    Alotta truth to that statement but hes retarded to come out and say it publicly, plus his son was trash in the uk game so that nigga cant say shit lol
  • MR.CJMR.CJ Posts: 63,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    But fox put up 39 on lonzo
    That dumb ass LaVar Ball has got all the saltines across twitter playing their second favorite card(besides the "race" card) which the "reverse racism" card.. They're all in their feelings listing all of the good cracka players who played on those 80's celtics teams plus propping up those privileged white Duke players too.. Smh..

farris2k1
  • farris2k1farris2k1 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That dumb ass LaVar Ball has got all the saltines across twitter playing their second favorite card(besides the "race" card) which the "reverse racism" card.. They're all in their feelings listing all of the good cracka players who played on those 80's celtics teams plus propping up those privileged white Duke players too
    Yup as soon as i seen that shit i knew that was exactly the response white ppl was gonna have, that nigga stupid as fuck, he shoulda stfu after his son got knocked outta the tourny by uk
    stringer bell
  • 313 wayz313 wayz Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lavar is steadily messing up his son's money. Now his next son is going to UCLA next year with the some of the white guys that he said was slow-footed.
    stringer bell
    http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/19097642/lavar-ball-casts-blame-ucla-bruins-white-guys

LaVar Ball, the outspoken father of former UCLA guard Lonzo Ball, gave two reasons Thursday for why the Bruins were eliminated in the NCAA tournament: Lonzo was saddled by a hamstring injury, and some of his teammates, whom LaVar referred to as "three white guys," couldn't pick up the slack.

Lonzo Ball did not mention the injury after the Bruins' Sweet 16 loss to Kentucky, and UCLA coach Steve Alford said he believed his player was fine.

Realistically you can't win no championship with three white guys because the foot speed is too slow," LaVar Ball told the Southern California News Group, presumably talking about Bruins starters TJ Leaf, Bryce Alford and Thomas Welsh.

"I told Lonzo, 'One of these games you might need to go for 30 or 40 points.' It turned out that was the one game," LaVar Ball added. "Then once they get to the Elite Eight, they're right there."

Lonzo Ball is a likely lottery pick in this summer's NBA draft, with ESPN's Chad Ford projecting him to go No. 2 overall in his latest mock draft. Ball has filed paperwork for the draft and has hired an agent after playing one season at UCLA.

He is a finalist for the John R. Wooden Award, which will be handed out Friday night in Los Angeles during ESPN's College Basketball Awards show (ESPN2).

LaVar Ball's middle son, LiAngelo, is set to play at UCLA next season. His youngest son, LaMelo, is committed to UCLA in the class of 2019.

Kentucky defeated UCLA 85-76 to advance to the South Region final, where it lost to eventual champion North Carolina.

bukma77rzag3.gif

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/19103214/lavar-ball-father-lonzo-ball-says-recent-white-guys-comment-was-misunderstood-love-guys
    LaVar Ball: 'White guys' remark misunderstood

LaVar Ball, the father of former UCLA star Lonzo Ball, said comments he made about his son's white teammates were misunderstood.

"I love those guys," LaVar Ball said Friday.

Ball was quoted Thursday by the Southern California News Group as saying the Bruins lost to Kentucky in the NCAA tournament because his son injured his hamstring during the game and "realistically you can't win no championship with three white guys because the foot speed is too slow."

Ball attempted to clarify those comments Friday during an interview with ESPN 710 LA. "I am not saying I don't like the white guys and we lost because of them. No -- that's how they twisted it up," he said.

Ball's comments appeared to be a reference to UCLA starters TJ Leaf, Thomas Welsh and Bryce Alford, the son of coach Steve Alford.

"I love Bryce because he's Alford's son and he's always been nice to me," Ball said. "TJ Leaf -- Zo's friend, always nice and respectful. Thomas Welsh -- one of their most intelligent players, very nice, respectful.

"But like I said, they're going to do their thing and we're going to do our thing. So don't wear your feelings on your sleeve and think it's a direct punch at you guys, because it's not."

Ball also said he was not blaming Leaf, Welsh and Alford for the loss.

"I blame one person every time they lose and it's the same person all the time. It's my son," Ball said. "He's at the head of the front and I blame him regardless if he had 30 points and 20 assists. It doesn't matter. It's already been said. Like he said, he didn't make enough plays for his team to win."

Lonzo Ball will enter the NBA draft and is projected to be chosen with one of the top picks. He finished his final college game with 10 points, 8 assists and 4 turnovers while Kentucky point guard De'Aaron Fox scored 39. Leaf and Isaac Hamilton scored 17 points apiece to lead UCLA.

When reached by ESPN on Friday for response to LaVar Ball's initial comments, Steve Alford said UCLA will "respectfully decline to comment."

fd6.gif
    qeezus_price
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Posts: 14,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a slow time of year pre NFL draft. The nigga LaVar saying crazy shit and the drama hungry news powers that be are pushing these dumb comments. Then all the people mad at what Ball says comment and watch commentary on the situation bringing more attention and buzz to it.

It's funny how people act shocked and outraged at what ball says which enables him to keep doing the fuckery.

bukma77rzag3.gif

• Young_ChitlinYoung_Chitlin YCN Chief/FCC Member/#RedVelvetSquad Member/IC Task Force General/Future Lawyer ASUville, PhoenixPosts: 21,184 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After 571 wins, three Final Four appearances, and a ground-up rebuild of a once-moribund basketball program, Steve Fisher has retired from college basketball. Fisher has been the head coach of the San Diego State Aztecs since 1999, and his longtime lead assistant Brian Dutcher will take over for Fisher next year, per ESPN.
    af.r.i.c.a.313 wayzSo ILL
  • af.r.i.c.a.af.r.i.c.a. Fuck your reactions Posts: 8,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 14
    Big board 5.0 + comps

1. G Markel Fultz - Wade/Mccolum

2. G/F Josh Jackson - Andre Iguadala

3. PG Lonzo Ball - Na

4. PG De'Aaron Foxx - pm Russel Westbrook

5. F Jayson Tatum - Danny Granger

6. G Malik Monk - Ben Gordon

7. PG Dennis Smith Jr - Eric Bledsoe

8. F Jonathan Isaac - Na

9. F/C Lauri Markannen - rm Channing Frye

10. PG Frank Ntilikina - Na

11. F/C Zach Collins - Na

12. C Jerret Allen - Andrew Bogut

13. F Justin Jackson - Tayshaun Prince

14. G Luke Kennard - pm Chris Mullen

Outside looking in

C Harry Giles - Na

PF John Collins - Taj Gibson

PG Juwan Evans - Ty Lawson

F OG Anonouby - Na

C Justin Patton - Jason Thompson

C Bam Adebayo - pm Dwight Howard

PF TJ Leaf - David Lee
    edited April 14
    2018 Big Board sneak peak + comps

1. F Michael Porter jr - Kevin Durant

2. C DeAndre Ayton - Na

3. C Mo Bamba - Rudy Gobert

4. PG Trevon Duval - Stephon Marbury

5. G Luka Doncic - Detlef Schremph

6. PF Robert Williams - Serge Ibaka

7. G Collin Sexton - Baron Davis

8. G Hamidu Diallo - Victor Oladipo

9. F Miles Bridges - Josh Smith

10. F/C Wendel Carter Jr - Al Jefferson

11. G Frank Jackson - Brandon Knight

12. F Jared Vanderbilt - Thad Young

13. F Kevin Knox - Kelly Oubre jr

14. PF Jeran Jackson - Kennith Faried
  • TheBossmanTheBossman Maybe next year........ Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn miles bridges is staying in school, wow.
    edited April 14
  • Young_ChitlinYoung_Chitlin YCN Chief/FCC Member/#RedVelvetSquad Member/IC Task Force General/Future Lawyer ASUville, PhoenixPosts: 21,184 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Four-star Southern California power forward Shareef O' Neal has committed to the Arizona Wildcats
    http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/19213617/lavar-ball-nike-shaking-boots
    LaVar Ball: We'll have Nike shaking in boots

LaVar Ball claims his Big Baller Brand will rival Nike after George Raveling, an executive with the shoe and apparel giant, made critical comments about the outspoken father of Lonzo Ball, the former UCLA star and top NBA prospect.

During the World Congress of Sports conference in California, Raveling, Nike's director of international basketball and the first African-American coach in Pac-12 history (Washington State), called LaVar Ball "the worst thing to happen to basketball in the last hundred years," according to the SportsBusiness Journal.

That prompted Friday's response.

"Let me tell you something: I know I'm on the right step because if nothing ain't happen like this in 100 years, guess what? We in a new lane, baby," LaVar Ball said via Instagram. "That Big Baller Brand about to be your competition."

Ball became a viral sensation this year after making various claims about his son's talents -- "He's better than Steph Curry" -- and his own, claiming he would "kill Michael Jordan one-on-one" when he was a younger athlete.

He has used his newfound fame to promote his Big Baller Brand, for which he has the trademark. The website offers shirts and hats for $32 to $100 each.

LaVar Ball has suggested his son might sign with the family brand when he turns pro. He also has demanded a $1 billion shoe contract for Lonzo Ball and his two younger brothers.

Lonzo Ball is the No. 2 prospect on Chad Ford's Big Board on ESPN.com for the upcoming draft.

bukma77rzag3.gif
    313 wayzCJ
  • ShizlanskyShizlansky Posts: 32,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That chicken look very unflavored
    http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/19264024/nike-armour-adidas-not-interested-deal-lonzo-ball
    Nike, Under Armour, Adidas spurn deal with Ball

An endorsement deal with Nike, Under Armour or Adidas is not in the cards for Lonzo Ball.

Ball's father LaVar confirmed that the three shoe and apparel companies informed him that they were not interested in doing a deal with his son. Sources with the three companies told ESPN.com that they indeed were moving on.

Never in the history of modern day shoe endorsements have the big companies all stepped away from a potential top pick nearly two months before the NBA draft. But the proposition that LaVar, who has been representing Lonzo on the deal, was offering also has no precedence.

In his meetings with the three, LaVar insisted that the company license his upstart Big Baller Brand from him. He also showed the companies a shoe prototype that he hoped would be Lonzo's first shoe.

"We've said from the beginning, we aren't looking for an endorsement deal," LaVar told ESPN. "We're looking for co-branding, a true partner. But they're not ready for that because they're not used to that model. But hey, the taxi industry wasn't ready for Uber, either."

Last week, Nike consultant George Raveling, at SportsBusinessJournal's World Congress of Sports called LaVar "the worst thing to happen to basketball in the last hundred years."

The way LaVar sees it, Raveling's comment is indicative of what business people who have long been in business say when the way of doing things is changed.

"Just imagine how rich Tiger (Woods), Kobe (Bryant), Serena (Williams), (Michael) Jordan and LeBron (James) would have been if they dared to do their own thing," LaVar said. "No one owned their own brand before they turned pro. We do and I have three sons so it's that much more valuable."

Lonzo declared for the draft after one season at UCLA. LaVar's other sons have also committed to UCLA, including LiAngelo, who arrives on campus this year and LaMelo, who just finished his sophomore season in high school.

Ball would not disclose how big the Big Baller Brand has become -- the company sells hats and t-shirts ranging from $38 to $100 on its website -- but he said that current sales numbers shouldn't have been on the mind of the shoe companies.

"When Facebook bought Whatsapp for $19 billion, those guys weren't profitable," LaVar said.

Now that the traditional shoe companies are out, Ball said he will reach out to the Chinese brands, which include Peak, Li-Ning and Anta, and he's not counting out taking on an entrepreneurial partner outside the business.

"That includes Facebook," he said.

Ball said he did indeed have a shoe prototype for Lonzo's first shoe.

"We're not going to sign with a company and then wait around for five or six years for shoe like Paul George had to wait for with Nike," Ball said.

When asked how long he has been working on the design of Lonzo's shoe, Ball said it was "a long time."

Added Ball: "I've been working on that shoe ever since my boys were born."

southsil4lil
  • BedStuyBedStuy My caliber, got me thinking on a higher algebra Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 29
    BedStuy wrote: »
    Hamidou Diallo
    Kentucky's Hamidou Diallo declares for NBA Draft before ever playing a game

Hamidou Diallo to test draft waters, won't hire an agent
  • BedStuyBedStuy My caliber, got me thinking on a higher algebra Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BedStuy wrote: »
    Knicks are in the range of where i want them to be so they can draft Ntilikina. I fux with fox too. The other top point guards can go to hell. Not impressed
    https://dailyknicks.com/2017/05/03/knicks-rumors-2017-nba-draft-prospect-frank-ntilikina/
    According to an NBA source, Knicks general manager Steve Mills jetted to France to catch 18-year-old point guard Frank Ntilikina play Tuesday night for Strasbourg in a French League match against Nanterre.

The 6-foot-5 Ntikilina is considered the top international prospect in the draft, and if the Knicks stay with the seventh pick, he would be heavily considered.