What is the best way to find a new job?

15678911»

Replies

  • hoodsaviorhoodsavior Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've moved to texas and i kinda hate the job market.. Its staffing central, love that temp to hire rope a dope, and a right to fire state.. Its a lot of jobs but im 32 and need vacation days..
  • texas409texas409 Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hoodsavior wrote: »
    I've moved to texas and i kinda hate the job market.. Its staffing central, love that temp to hire rope a dope, and a right to fire state.. Its a lot of jobs but im 32 and need vacation days..

    what kind of work do you do?
  • hoodsaviorhoodsavior Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    texas409 wrote: »
    hoodsavior wrote: »
    I've moved to texas and i kinda hate the job market.. Its staffing central, love that temp to hire rope a dope, and a right to fire state.. Its a lot of jobs but im 32 and need vacation days..

    what kind of work do you do?

    Worked for the water dept in philly for i years, degree in culinary arts (over it tho), can do office and customer service.. Sold cars for toyota but im over comission based jobs too
  • WYRMWYRM The Dude Abides...Posts: 989 ✭✭✭✭
    Buy a gun, screw the job, the gun is a career builder.
  • FosheezyFosheezy AKA Flying Wonders the Diamond Mind Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 13
    Smh 3 offers on the table. All within the same day of course. And each one of would be a potential good fit for what i'm trying to do with my career. I am undecided and never really dealt with this before.

    2 of the offers is in finance and the other one is in design. There's things I really like (but don't love) about working in finance and there are things I love (but don't necessarily like) about design. The design offer isn't paying what my true market value is, but the guy was at least willing to bump up the starting pay to my minimum pay requirements, also with guaranteed room for growth as well. It's not a super cool name brand company like Nike or nothing - just a mom and pop shop basically, but after talking to the guy I became sympathetic to what he's trying to do (the business would really benefit from having a candidate like me with my skill set on board and he wants them to stick around) and told him i'd accept the offer for the position to start next week.

    Soon after I left the interview I check my email and 2 other people reach out to me with offers - one of which was referred to me by brother at church - in a field I've been shooting for the past few weeks with no luck until now. I'm pretty sure both the offers have way higher earning potential from the gate. I want to at least see what the offers is all about with respect to them both considering me for the opportunity, but I'm feeling some kinda way since I pretty much already gave the other dude a commitment to start (although no guarantees to stay long term).

    I'm trying to figure out the best way to handle this. What NOT to do in this situation? I already emailed one of the lady's and told her to call me today.
    skpjr78
  • whatevathehellwhatevathehell Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fosheezy wrote: »
    Smh 3 offers on the table. All within the same day of course. And each one of would be a potential good fit for what i'm trying to do with my career. I am undecided and never really dealt with this before.

    2 of the offers is in finance and the other one is in design. There's things I really like (but don't love) about working in finance and there are things I love (but don't necessarily like) about design. The design offer isn't paying what my true market value is, but the guy was at least willing to bump up the starting pay to my minimum pay requirements, also with guaranteed room for growth as well. It's not a super cool name brand company like Nike or nothing - just a mom and pop shop basically, but after talking to the guy I became sympathetic to what he's trying to do (the business would really benefit from having a candidate like me with my skill set on board and he wants them to stick around) and told him i'd accept the offer for the position to start next week.

    Soon after I left the interview I check my email and 2 other people reach out to me with offers - one of which was referred to me by brother at church - in a field I've been shooting for the past few weeks with no luck until now. I'm pretty sure both the offers have way higher earning potential from the gate. I want to at least see what the offers is all about with respect to them both considering me for the opportunity, but I'm feeling some kinda way since I pretty much already gave the other dude a commitment to start (although no guarantees to stay long term).

    I'm trying to figure out the best way to handle this. What NOT to do in this situation? I already emailed one of the lady's and told her to call me today.

    I would follow up on all job offers as far as you can or at least for enough time for you to decide what you really want.

    Me personally, and this is coming from a job hopper so take it for what it is....I would take the offer that starts first just to get some money rolling in and if something better comes along jump ship and go with that.

    but if you got some kinda personal moral issue with that then go with what feels right to you.
    Fosheezy
  • FosheezyFosheezy AKA Flying Wonders the Diamond Mind Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fosheezy wrote: »
    Smh 3 offers on the table. All within the same day of course. And each one of would be a potential good fit for what i'm trying to do with my career. I am undecided and never really dealt with this before.

    2 of the offers is in finance and the other one is in design. There's things I really like (but don't love) about working in finance and there are things I love (but don't necessarily like) about design. The design offer isn't paying what my true market value is, but the guy was at least willing to bump up the starting pay to my minimum pay requirements, also with guaranteed room for growth as well. It's not a super cool name brand company like Nike or nothing - just a mom and pop shop basically, but after talking to the guy I became sympathetic to what he's trying to do (the business would really benefit from having a candidate like me with my skill set on board and he wants them to stick around) and told him i'd accept the offer for the position to start next week.

    Soon after I left the interview I check my email and 2 other people reach out to me with offers - one of which was referred to me by brother at church - in a field I've been shooting for the past few weeks with no luck until now. I'm pretty sure both the offers have way higher earning potential from the gate. I want to at least see what the offers is all about with respect to them both considering me for the opportunity, but I'm feeling some kinda way since I pretty much already gave the other dude a commitment to start (although no guarantees to stay long term).

    I'm trying to figure out the best way to handle this. What NOT to do in this situation? I already emailed one of the lady's and told her to call me today.

    I would follow up on all job offers as far as you can or at least for enough time for you to decide what you really want.

    Me personally, and this is coming from a job hopper so take it for what it is....I would take the offer that starts first just to get some money rolling in and if something better comes along jump ship and go with that.

    but if you got some kinda personal moral issue with that then go with what feels right to you.
    Yea made up my mind and decided to stick with the design job since he gave me what I asked for and I gave him my commitment to start already. Paid weekly. Weekends off. Plus I'd be like in a creative director role and like my own boss. No manager to worry about. And he'll let me run the shop myself once he teach me everything. I think it might be good move for me on long term. At least for now
    skpjr78DarthRozay
  • KatKat Don't @ Me to Dumb Shit. H-TownPosts: 48,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lou_Cypher wrote: »
    Kat wrote: »
    After actively looking for a job for the past couple months, the best way to find a job is to know someone.

    I guess that's what makes networking crucial.

    It really REALLY is. Unfortunately for me im pretty anti social. Maybe i will look into a job fair or something if i hear of one coming around. I dont need a job, but i definitely dont care to do what im doing for the rest of my life. Or with the company for that matter, cant see anything above me that i would enjoy either.

    I'm the same way. I finally swallowed my pride and put it out there on FB that I was looking for leads. My old boss happened to see it and told me to submit my resume to the company she had just started working for..she basically got me in the door. People want someone to vouch for you.

    Good references are important.
    traestar
  • osheytvhqosheytvhq Posts: 12
    wow... i love all this dope hip-hop shits i'm seeing here http://osheytv.com
    texas409lord nemesis
  • osheytvhqosheytvhq Posts: 12
    wow... i love all this dope hip-hop shits i'm seeing here http://osheytv.com
    Young_Chitlintexas409lord nemesis
  • traestartraestar Atlantic City, NJPosts: 6,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kat wrote: »
    Lou_Cypher wrote: »
    Kat wrote: »
    After actively looking for a job for the past couple months, the best way to find a job is to know someone.

    I guess that's what makes networking crucial.

    It really REALLY is. Unfortunately for me im pretty anti social. Maybe i will look into a job fair or something if i hear of one coming around. I dont need a job, but i definitely dont care to do what im doing for the rest of my life. Or with the company for that matter, cant see anything above me that i would enjoy either.

    I'm the same way. I finally swallowed my pride and put it out there on FB that I was looking for leads. My old boss happened to see it and told me to submit my resume to the company she had just started working for..she basically got me in the door. People want someone to vouch for you.

    Good references are important.

    I did the exact same thing on FB as well. I have a temporary job because of it, still looking for a permanent tho.
    I believe it's not just networking with people, it's also the area you're in. Definitely have to be around the area where your market is.

15678911»
Sign In or Register to comment.