What's up everybody! Just a quick message. We will be relaunching AllHipHop.com with the goal of keeping the community front and center. I have worked with Jamal and select moderators, to make sure The Illl Community's needs are being addressed as we evolve. We are encouraging you to use the new platform.

We will NOT be closing the current community, but we will be porting user data over to the new system over time, so please get used to using the new community!

We will be working on it every single day until it's exactly what you want!

Please feel free to join now, test, as we are in beta:

https://www.allhiphop.com

The moment where you became a man(in your opinion)

Mvpbrodie93Mvpbrodie93 Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭
edited February 2011 in Growing Pains
Discuss.......

Replies

• m. trinidadm. trinidad Posts: 132
    edited August 2010
    The moment where I thought about my girl more than myself. I was like 22 at the time. I was at work...heard that Outkast would be signing cd's at this hood record shop.
    I was supposed to stay at work til like 5:30-6:00pm but I made up a lie and dipped out, called my homie and was like yo...lets dip. I gotta get my girl this signed cd...my dude was down to roll with me so I picked him up at his job and we waited outside the store like 3-4 hrs and were still like 15-20th in line but I got the cds and posters for my girl. I honestly never thought about doing that for a chick nor did i ever really think about anyone else before myself like that.
    dwade206
  • damnkpdamnkp Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    when i had my first son...i was 21 and realized that someone else would actually have to depend on me
  • BootyButterPiBootyButterPi Posts: 1,436 ✭✭
    edited August 2010
    when i registered for selected service at 18. i was going to the USAF anyway, but just by doing that,... shit felt real, real.

pi
  • shadb33shadb33 Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    The moment where I thought about my girl more than myself. I was like 22 at the time. I was at work...heard that Outkast would be signing cd's at this hood record shop.
    I was supposed to stay at work til like 5:30-6:00pm but I made up a lie and dipped out, called my homie and was like yo...lets dip. I gotta get my girl this signed cd...my dude was down to roll with me so I picked him up at his job and we waited outside the store like 3-4 hrs and were still like 15-20th in line but I got the cds and posters for my girl. I honestly never thought about doing that for a chick nor did i ever really think about anyone else before myself like that.

really bruh? u became a man because of this?
    PiffyHazeBuilt 4 cuban linxdwade206
  • anduinanduin Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    shadb33 wrote: »
    really bruh? u became a man because of this?

rofl, I thought I was the only one that was think wtf.
    dwade206
  • Jsince90sJsince90s Posts: 180
    edited September 2010
    Im makin that transition now I don't know what the future hold but my minds changin im wisin up and gettin more mature, the real maturity not that " your so mature for your age " shit. Im 17.
  • adagreatadagreat Posts: 679
    edited September 2010
    the moment my goatee and chin strapp connected! smh!
  • A1 FamegaA1 Famega Posts: 33
    edited January 2011
    whn i started planning and thinking ahead without reacting off emotion
  • robdaze151robdaze151 Posts: 2,019 ✭✭
    edited January 2011
    when I was 14 and moms shoved me out the front door saying" go mo a lawn, wash some cars. Anything to help me w/ these bills."
  • daboyskilldaboyskill Posts: 165
    edited January 2011
    when i turned 18 n my parents divorced...thats when i realized what life is all about and i had to get my shit together
  • 2stepz_ahead2stepz_ahead Who I am is Complex, What i am, simply put. I'm a Threat walking out the lions denPosts: 28,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    i always thought i was a man...until i had my first child then i wanted to stop being an dickhead and hanging out, all i wanted to do was take care of my child and he became my priority....i began to want more in life and began to realize that i cant bang every woman alive and that i needed to prepare for not just my future an retirement but to prepare for my kids future.
    you have the dude who is naturally thorough -Alpha
    you have the dude that wants to be thorough so he pretend to be Alpha -Beta
    then you have the nigga who wants to hang with the first two to be seen and grab any dropped crumbs.- Omega

I am still struggling between blocks to get from the have nots to the have yachts and I won't be stopped.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HhTZZdVbjio

dwade206
  • TheCATthatdidntDIETheCATthatdidntDIE Posts: 918
    edited January 2011
    When I realized my parents weren't that bad, but not good either. When i first saw my dad as a person.
  • R.D.R.D. Posts: 19,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    When i started valuing my own opinion over anybody else and realized i had to live my life so was going do it my way
  • Calii ComfortCalii Comfort Posts: 3,250 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    when i grew pubic hair
  • ZeeofafbZeeofafb Posts: 12
    edited January 2011
    When I realized everything I'd been taught was someone else's opinion
  • luke1733luke1733 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭
    Zeeofafb makes agood point. I remember that part of my life when I had to throw away what others were telling me. As far as becoming a man....I been working since I was 5 for 8 hours a day. Seriously, during my summers. At 15 I was buying my own groceries and cooking. At 16 I was in college so, I don't know man.
    Becoming a "man" is kinda a weird way to think. Sometime I still feel like a kid trying to be a man, until I see some other men that really act like kids
    There are some changes you recognize. One was when I started really thinking about if what people were saying and what I was reading how I felt or was I convinced. Another moment was when I realized I would never ask anyone, not even my parents for money. Another
    Another was when I realized I couldn't get any company or actors to invest in my ideas or productions if I wasn't willing to use my own savings and money and invest in my own equipment and productions--which means paying people. Another was when I realized I wasn't always right. Another was when I had to be honest about my personality traits that were just normal for me versus my personality traits I could use to get a job or be friendly and around people and knowing the difference between the two. I can go all day with changes I realized. The biggest was when I was actually 10 in 6th grade and realized I was alone in this world and nobody is coming to your defense and good things do happen to bad people. It was a wake up call to realize there wasn't any purpose for my life and that things just happen; you can either do something or not
  • wittinwittin Posts: 17
    Zeeofafb wrote: »
    When I realized everything I'd been taught was someone else's opinion
    Partly this, I feel like it was after this realization and the subsequent development of critical and rational thought to form my own opinions based on the facts, and to know that I couldn't have had access to ALL the relevant facts on any given subject, so it is important to hold that certain degree of open mindedness and always remember that I could be wrong and thus should never discount new information that could change my opinion on something. The world became a very different place after this.