What's up everybody! Just a quick message. We will be relaunching AllHipHop.com with the goal of keeping the community front and center. I have worked with Jamal and select moderators, to make sure The Illl Community's needs are being addressed as we evolve. We are encouraging you to use the new platform.

We will NOT be closing the current community, but we will be porting user data over to the new system over time, so please get used to using the new community!

We will be working on it every single day until it's exactly what you want!

Please feel free to join now, test, as we are in beta:

https://www.allhiphop.com

Is Kentucky Basketball the only major powerhouse without an NBA Legend?

MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Posts: 15,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 20 in From the Cheap Seats
Think about it every other major college basketball program has produced legends in the NBA. But what Kentucky players were true superstars who won a title or broke records in the league?
559833_448570031895809_125247706_n.jpg

Replies

• BedStuyBedStuy My caliber, got me thinking on a higher algebra Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rajon and Tayshaun come to mind but they aren't true superstars
    tumblr_oevnc1iVjw1vet0bvo1_1280.jpg
  • So ILLSo ILL Posts: 16,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pat Riley, but that's more on the coaching side.
    Revolver Ocelotgdatruth2.0
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Posts: 15,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So ILL wrote: »
    Pat Riley, but that's more on the coaching side.

Yeah i am talking actual players on the court.
  • Elzo69RenaissanceElzo69Renaissance Never selling dreams, always serving cream SeattlePosts: 50,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    outside of Grant Hill, you can throw Duke in there too
    As I look back over a misspent life, I find myself more and more convinced that I had more fun posting on the IC than in any other enterprise. It is really the life of kings.

CashmoneyDux

That's still one player. And on top of that Kyrie is growing into something big on his own. Maybe not superstar but his NBA finals performance was better than any Kentucky player in the NBA finals.
    damnkp wrote: »
    Anthony Davis will probably be the first

Star yes but as far as if he will be a superstar that is still yet to be seen.
    damnkpHafBayked
  • ShizlanskyShizlansky Posts: 35,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's still one player. And on top of that Kyrie is growing into something big on his own. Maybe not superstar but his NBA finals performance was better than any Kentucky player in the NBA finals.

Kyrie win-loss record pre-LBJ and when LBJ don't play is atrocious
    (Really though?)
    texasdaking88Beefer77prime_time_willyericb4prez
  • d.greend.green Posts: 12,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 21
    I hate UK somehow became the "cool school" for these youngstas the last several years under Cal.
    I've always disliked UK.

Without Cal there's no real NBA pedigree for UK. There will most likely be in the future with players like Anthony Davis, Towns, Wall etc but before that they had Mashburn, Walker, Chapman and Tony Delk.
    gh0st
    d.green wrote: »
    I hate UK somehow became the "cool school" for these youngstas the last several years under Cal.
    I've always disliked UK.

Without Cal there's no real NBA pedigree for UK. There will most likely be in the future with players like Anthony Davis and some of the others but before that they had Mashburn and Tony Delk.

The one thing i give Cal credit for is he does not get bitter when players leave his team for the NBA. Them ole ass bobby knight mindset ass coaching niggas got so pissed and quickly found their teams go to shit or get fired.

The issue with cats who go to Kentucky in this current era is they tend to want the fast track to the money/fame instead of figuring out who to be a better basketball player. They do their year get their ass beat by a veteran team and then go to the NBA immature and needing 3 years or so to potentially mature if they are even in the league that long.

The players that are becoming the superstars are not flocking to Kentucky. They are going to other schools to either learn skills or a year or 2 or going to a school where they are the #1 guy and learning to deal with that pressure. Many NBA teams have a coach K era Kentucky player but they are most likely a role player or coming off the bench.
    313 wayz
  • O.G.O.G. GUILTY BY AFFILIATION. Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 21
    Real talk it was supppse to be Sam Bowie.
    One of my faves from that school was Rex Chapman. That pilgram could play when he was focused.

jojo_and_ben.jpg

So ILL
    Olorun22 wrote: »
    Shizlansky wrote: »

Why is this relevant?

Superstar win games
    (Really though?)
  • Olorun22Olorun22 Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why is this relevant?

Superstar good teams win games

I agree

CashmoneyDuxthemadlionsfanericb4prez
  • D. MorganD. Morgan Not even on social media BUT.... I'M SWAGGIN SO HARD I FUCKED THE GRAM UPPosts: 11,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Antoine Walker: Employee #8

so-you-can-justify-your-fear-of-all-muslims-because-13552115.png
    ui0cXEZO9B942C0C9zdV0mZbrfnJkR8jgEiVo_neMrk.gif?w=320&s=dfba6d9b7859acd7de58df24940fed79
    the-real-rick-ross-ain-t-a-rapper.american-apparel-unisex-fitted-tee.white.w760h760.jpg

D. Morgan wrote: »

not a superstar if he was those post jordan era celtics teams would have won a title. Good but not a star.
  • D. MorganD. Morgan Not even on social media BUT.... I'M SWAGGIN SO HARD I FUCKED THE GRAM UPPosts: 11,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

not a superstar if he was those post jordan era celtics teams would have won a title. Good but not a star.

That post wasn't serious
    so-you-can-justify-your-fear-of-all-muslims-because-13552115.png
    ui0cXEZO9B942C0C9zdV0mZbrfnJkR8jgEiVo_neMrk.gif?w=320&s=dfba6d9b7859acd7de58df24940fed79
    the-real-rick-ross-ain-t-a-rapper.american-apparel-unisex-fitted-tee.white.w760h760.jpg

HafBaykedMallyGFlightKinginfamous114
  • UndefeatableUndefeatable Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Davis aside, Jamal Murray may be the first.
    BetaStoneColdMikeyBlackAX410

Why is this relevant?

Superstar good teams win games

I agree

Without LBJ the cavs are not a playoff team.

Which brings me back to my point. Superstars wins games.
    (Really though?)
    ericb4prez
  • Rampage12Rampage12 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL even my Seminoles have a better all-time NBA player than Kentucky.
  • wilberdmillzwilberdmillz Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As said on the Cowherd show, Duke doesn't either. Hill would have been if not for injuries.

That post wasn't serious

In a forum of both trollers and emotional delusional die hard fans it is hard to distinguish sarcasm from serious comments lol.
    Inglewood_B