Burning Sands - Netflix (film based on black frat pledging)

charles2charles2 Antisocial ExtrovertPosts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
«1

Replies

  • jonojono Right fist = power, left fist = unity Posts: 28,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been hearing about this
  • charles2charles2 Antisocial Extrovert Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a good movie, but as a member of a black Greek organization hate that all of this is getting out. Guess it's native to think it wouldn't eventually. Just hope they don't focus solely on the negative aspects.

    I went through a tough process but I came through with a lot of pride in my perseverance and in my fraternity.

    I'm sure there will be comments against pledging and I've already heard it all. Discussion still welcomed.
    deadeye
  • D. MorganD. Morgan Not even on social media BUT.... I'M SWAGGIN SO HARD I FUCKED THE GRAM UPPosts: 9,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Mister B.Mister B. Still the Devil's #1 Advocate. Come on out that box! Posts: 14,507 ✭✭✭✭✭



    Cool movie, but I'm pretty sure how the anti-Greek IC population will react to this. Even still, I give it 7.5/10
  • onetoughmiracleonetoughmiracle New York Giants Fan...Win Lose or Draw! Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is pretty good
  • texas409texas409 Posts: 19,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bout to watch now
  • (Nope)(Nope) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was alright. I was just reading reviews and only one of three drew a parallel between the Willie Lynch letter and the hazing of pledges. I felt like that was the underlying theme of the film.
    onetoughmiracle
  • onetoughmiracleonetoughmiracle New York Giants Fan...Win Lose or Draw! Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    (Nope) wrote: »
    It was alright. I was just reading reviews and only one of three drew a parallel between the Willie Lynch letter and the hazing of pledges. I felt like that was the underlying theme of the film.

    It is. In the scene where the pledges are being paddled, Zurich's voice over is reading excerpts from the letter.
    texas409(Nope)silverfoxx
  • charles2charles2 Antisocial Extrovert Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 12
    Just watched. Hate they took it as far as they did. Maybe they pointing out how it used to be underground, but all that kicking niggas in the ribs, spitting in they face and shit, total disregard for their health, etc. ain't how it goes down now, at least not in my chapter.

    Some of the shit was spot on though.

    Shit gets deep, but not on the brink of death.
  • lamontbdclamontbdc 16th & UPosts: 18,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea I never understood why black fraternities were using greek letters and shit...that turned me off and never thought about joining
  • Qiv_OwanQiv_Owan Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • ckfreeckfree Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i cant help but think that once the line of civilized behavior has been crossed

    their cruelty must be manifested in other aspects of their lives
    onetoughmiraclea.mann(Nope)deadeye
  • texas409texas409 Posts: 19,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    so im guessing all parties involved will be charged with a crime? yes or no?
    deadeye
  • numbaz...80's babynumbaz...80's baby Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The ending was wack. The movie was str8. Nothing special though.
    Koltrain
  • Stomp JohnsonStomp Johnson Fuck off my page. Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Movie was just one long asswhoopin. Then it just went off. No resolution, plenty of loose ends.

    5/10
    eastbay510Hulk803Koltrainonetoughmiracle
  • ineedpussyineedpussy long hair dont care but bald head dont give a fuck! Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yeah shit was kinda wack. like stomp said....just one long ass ass whooping. its like these niggaZ said fuck their pride and manhood just to say they a part of some bullshit. see i understand squares reasoning because i kind of identified with him. even though i dont have money. and yeah the end was shit. why the fuck you callin you pops after your nigga dead. you should of did that shit two weeks down the line.

    and s/n: you know that aint a fraternity that has your back because they told you drop the body off.
    IceBergTaylorKoltrainonetoughmiracle
  • charles2charles2 Antisocial Extrovert Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ineedpussy wrote: »
    yeah shit was kinda wack. like stomp said....just one long ass ass whooping. its like these niggaZ said fuck their pride and manhood just to say they a part of some bullshit. see i understand squares reasoning because i kind of identified with him. even though i dont have money. and yeah the end was shit. why the fuck you callin you pops after your nigga dead. you should of did that shit two weeks down the line.

    and s/n: you know that aint a fraternity that has your back because they told you drop the body off.

    Yeah that was some bullshit.
  • mrtdbmrtdb Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    charles2 wrote: »
    ineedpussy wrote: »
    yeah shit was kinda wack. like stomp said....just one long ass ass whooping. its like these niggaZ said fuck their pride and manhood just to say they a part of some bullshit. see i understand squares reasoning because i kind of identified with him. even though i dont have money. and yeah the end was shit. why the fuck you callin you pops after your nigga dead. you should of did that shit two weeks down the line.

    and s/n: you know that aint a fraternity that has your back because they told you drop the body off.

    Yeah that was some bullshit.
    Z showed potential near the end...he got on his shit and was showing potential with the kings and queens talk, got his report in finally, and halfway through the movie the teacher told him he was a natural leader. I was hoping he would step up and say "fuck this shit...this isn't how you should treat on young King" or something like that, but the moment never came.

    7/10

    I liked the movie. I felt it showed an interesting side of things. I've never pledged, but I considered pledging before the fraternity I was thinking about got cancelled for hazing. I feel like it showed how far hazing can go, and how even old heads ( the dean ) can be fine with it based off tradition, culture, etc.


    I felt like the movie kept building up to a climax, then ended at the climax. Not only did it end open ended, but it skipped the whole POST CLIMAX step of a movie. Hell, it really didn't even finish the climax.

    - Is homeboy dead?
    - Is the fraternity going to be cancelled?
    - Is he gonna get his girl back?
    - What did he tell his pops?
    - Who is his pops?
    - Has the dean always been aware of the deaths?
    - Are they still joining the fraternity?

    ultimately, I personally couldn't have seen myself taking an asswhoopin like that. Even in the beginning when they kicked homeboy with the dreads out.

    Homeboy was still taking hits after being told he wasn't going to make it...I would have whooped his ass.

    Additionally this was pretty much a representation of pledging Que...and I still don't understand the branding shit. You now about to brand me
    IceBergTaylor
«1
Sign In or Register to comment.