What's up everybody! Just a quick message. We will be relaunching AllHipHop.com with the goal of keeping the community front and center. I have worked with Jamal and select moderators, to make sure The Illl Community's needs are being addressed as we evolve. We are encouraging you to use the new platform.

We will NOT be closing the current community, but we will be porting user data over to the new system over time, so please get used to using the new community!

We will be working on it every single day until it's exactly what you want!

Please feel free to join now, test, as we are in beta:

https://www.allhiphop.com

Burning Sands - Netflix (film based on black frat pledging)

C da Night KingC da Night King Antisocial ExtrovertPosts: 2,365 ✭✭✭✭✭

Replies

• jonojono Right fist = power, left fist = unity Posts: 29,941 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been hearing about this
    @SoulTrain4 *FMOT*

For blogs on hip-hop & entertainment:
    http://www.shobizcentral.wordpress.com

For blogs on politics and other things:
    http://www.jonoaries.blogspot.com

All blog written by me. If you like what I post on here you should dig the blogs too. I also accept suggestions on blog topics, so feel free to suggest things and also if you are a reader tell others, spread the word. I'll try not to be so lazy and actualy get some writing done.
  • C da Night KingC da Night King Antisocial Extrovert Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a good movie, but as a member of a black Greek organization hate that all of this is getting out. Guess it's native to think it wouldn't eventually. Just hope they don't focus solely on the negative aspects.

I went through a tough process but I came through with a lot of pride in my perseverance and in my fraternity.

I'm sure there will be comments against pledging and I've already heard it all. Discussion still welcomed.
    deadeye
  • D. MorganD. Morgan Not even on social media BUT.... I'M SWAGGIN SO HARD I FUCKED THE GRAM UPPosts: 11,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Mister B.Mister B. Still the Devil's #1 Advocate. Come on out that box! Posts: 15,563 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool movie, but I'm pretty sure how the anti-Greek IC population will react to this. Even still, I give it 7.5/10
    mirthewriter.wordpress.com
    Read that jawn....
  • onetoughmiracleonetoughmiracle NY Giants Fan...Always Keep the Strap On You! Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is pretty good
    A0erZ.gif [img][/img]9lVQhz.gif

tumblr_mr93dlX9Ud1rqh2k2o1_250.gif [img][/img]FWadAu.gif

tumblr_lxw7usrzQl1rns9m8o1_500.gif

giants-helmet.jpg

"I was told a long time ago, ghosts and spirits don't like the fumes from ether, and I just wanted to affect him with my weapon and get to his soul."

I feel it's the only way. I don't feel a need to play the whole part in the entire movement. But, yo, if you just raise your family right, if I just live righteously, I be all right. Yo, my whole life is dedicated to change.
  • texas409texas409 Posts: 20,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bout to watch now
  • (Nope)(Nope) NawfNawfPosts: 2,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was alright. I was just reading reviews and only one of three drew a parallel between the Willie Lynch letter and the hazing of pledges. I felt like that was the underlying theme of the film.
    onetoughmiracle
  • onetoughmiracleonetoughmiracle NY Giants Fan...Always Keep the Strap On You! Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
    (Nope) wrote: »
    It was alright. I was just reading reviews and only one of three drew a parallel between the Willie Lynch letter and the hazing of pledges. I felt like that was the underlying theme of the film.

It is. In the scene where the pledges are being paddled, Zurich's voice over is reading excerpts from the letter.
    A0erZ.gif [img][/img]9lVQhz.gif

tumblr_mr93dlX9Ud1rqh2k2o1_250.gif [img][/img]FWadAu.gif

tumblr_lxw7usrzQl1rns9m8o1_500.gif

giants-helmet.jpg

"I was told a long time ago, ghosts and spirits don't like the fumes from ether, and I just wanted to affect him with my weapon and get to his soul."

I feel it's the only way. I don't feel a need to play the whole part in the entire movement. But, yo, if you just raise your family right, if I just live righteously, I be all right. Yo, my whole life is dedicated to change.
    texas409(Nope)silverfoxx
    edited March 12
    Just watched. Hate they took it as far as they did. Maybe they pointing out how it used to be underground, but all that kicking niggas in the ribs, spitting in they face and shit, total disregard for their health, etc. ain't how it goes down now, at least not in my chapter.

Some of the shit was spot on though.

Shit gets deep, but not on the brink of death.
  • lamontbdclamontbdc 16th & UPosts: 18,813 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea I never understood why black fraternities were using greek letters and shit...that turned me off and never thought about joining
  • Qiv_OwanQiv_Owan Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • ckfreeckfree Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i cant help but think that once the line of civilized behavior has been crossed

their cruelty must be manifested in other aspects of their lives
    onetoughmiraclea.mann(Nope)deadeye
  • texas409texas409 Posts: 20,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    so im guessing all parties involved will be charged with a crime? yes or no?
    deadeye
  • numbaz...80's babynumbaz...80's baby Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The ending was wack. The movie was str8. Nothing special though.
    13669056_495515447310776_1649422438188903135_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=03172f7dbc0a1be38acfd07b5788dd81&oe=582E3D6161jot2uiausr.jpg
    Koltrain
  • Stomp JohnsonStomp Johnson Trashposting Til Infinity Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Movie was just one long asswhoopin. Then it just went off. No resolution, plenty of loose ends.

5/10
    eastbay510Hulk803Koltrainonetoughmiracle
  • ineedpussyineedpussy long hair dont care but bald head dont give a fuck! Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yeah shit was kinda wack. like stomp said....just one long ass ass whooping. its like these niggaZ said fuck their pride and manhood just to say they a part of some bullshit. see i understand squares reasoning because i kind of identified with him. even though i dont have money. and yeah the end was shit. why the fuck you callin you pops after your nigga dead. you should of did that shit two weeks down the line.

and s/n: you know that aint a fraternity that has your back because they told you drop the body off.
    IceBergTaylorKoltrainonetoughmiracle
    ineedpussy wrote: »
    yeah shit was kinda wack. like stomp said....just one long ass ass whooping. its like these niggaZ said fuck their pride and manhood just to say they a part of some bullshit. see i understand squares reasoning because i kind of identified with him. even though i dont have money. and yeah the end was shit. why the fuck you callin you pops after your nigga dead. you should of did that shit two weeks down the line.

and s/n: you know that aint a fraternity that has your back because they told you drop the body off.

Yeah that was some bullshit.
  • mrtdbmrtdb Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭✭✭
    charles2 wrote: »
    ineedpussy wrote: »

Yeah that was some bullshit.
    Z showed potential near the end...he got on his shit and was showing potential with the kings and queens talk, got his report in finally, and halfway through the movie the teacher told him he was a natural leader. I was hoping he would step up and say "fuck this shit...this isn't how you should treat on young King" or something like that, but the moment never came.

7/10

I liked the movie. I felt it showed an interesting side of things. I've never pledged, but I considered pledging before the fraternity I was thinking about got cancelled for hazing. I feel like it showed how far hazing can go, and how even old heads ( the dean ) can be fine with it based off tradition, culture, etc.

I felt like the movie kept building up to a climax, then ended at the climax. Not only did it end open ended, but it skipped the whole POST CLIMAX step of a movie. Hell, it really didn't even finish the climax.

- Is homeboy dead?
    - Is the fraternity going to be cancelled?
    - Is he gonna get his girl back?
    - What did he tell his pops?
    - Who is his pops?
    - Has the dean always been aware of the deaths?
    - Are they still joining the fraternity?

ultimately, I personally couldn't have seen myself taking an asswhoopin like that. Even in the beginning when they kicked homeboy with the dreads out.

Homeboy was still taking hits after being told he wasn't going to make it...I would have whooped his ass.

Additionally this was pretty much a representation of pledging Que...and I still don't understand the branding shit. You now about to brand me
    IceBergTaylor