'Jazz Is The Mother Of Hip-Hop': How Sampling Connects Genres

achewon87achewon87 Low End TheoristSurvivor Series '97Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 20 in The Reason

Why do hip-hop producers gravitate toward jazz samples? For a mood, for sonic timbre, for a unique rhythmic component. Swing is a precursor to the boom-bap. "If you're a hip-hop producer that wants a lot of melodic stuff happening," pianist Robert Glasper says, "you're probably going to go to jazz first."

Glasper has lived in an area of overlap between jazz and hip-hop for more than two decades — and you can hear it in his piano playing, which often drifts into cyclical rhythms akin to a beat-maker's loops. It's all one and the same to Glasper: recasting the music of Miles Davis for an R&B audience or rocking live shows with Q-Tip; playing acoustic jazz with his trio or streamlined soul with his Grammy-winning Robert Glasper Experiment.

In this short doc, Glasper identifies three jazz samples, from tracks by Ahmad Jamal and Herbie Hancock, that have served as source material for famed hip-hop producers J Dilla and Pete Rock.

http://www.npr.org/event/music/524393926/jazz-is-the-mother-of-hip-hop-how-sampling-connects-genres

Revolver OcelotBlack_Samson5th Letterrip.dillaMeesterStoneColdMikeyCJ#1hiphopjunki3BrideofKillaIntelligent_Hoodlum bigev240caddo manKneeGro_DuperManKINGECLcnsdbyROYALTYYoung Stefobnoxiouslyfresh

Replies

• king hassanking hassan south side somewherePosts: 22,170 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Water No Get Enemy performed by D'Angelo, Femi Kuti + Macy Gray featuring Roy Hargrove, Nile Rogers, the Soultronics + Positive Force. Produced by D'Angelo + ?uestlove. Co-produced by Andrés Levin + Sodi.

Water No Get Enemy by Fela stays on rotation, this club I used to go to plays it all the time
    rip.dillaBlack_Samson#1hiphopjunki3Young Stef
  • achewon87achewon87 Low End Theorist Survivor Series '97Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And everybody that knows me know I'm a big jazz head. Been listening to it since a shorty, that's how I picked up the sax

Alto or Tenor?...

Learned the Tenor in HS. Haven't played since tho...

• 5th Letter5th Letter Top Gang Thug Trying To Lower The Body Count Posts: 36,138 Regulator
    What's y'all favorite jazz influenced hip hop tune?
    Fuck who's the baddest a persons status depends on salary
    That buck that bought that bottle could have struck the lotto
    achewon87 wrote: »
    And everybody that knows me know I'm a big jazz head. Been listening to it since a shorty, that's how I picked up the sax

Alto or Tenor?...

Learned the Tenor in HS. Haven't played since tho...

Started on alto, then tenor, then baritone which is my favorite. I posted a pic of me some years ago of me in the band. I haven't played in 17 years, looking for one now to pick it back up
    achewon87
  • rip.dillarip.dilla 天道様 Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

LOL...@king hassan any recommendations bro? I haven't copped a good jazz album in a minute

Preferably released in the 1970s...
    ... always immediately go for my boobs ... She feelin me up like "are those your nipples?" I'm like "don't touch there. my money is there." So she's running my hips and thighs ...
  • Black_SamsonBlack_Samson do 10 pushups everytime you read my post... you know you want too. Posts: 60,683 Regulator
    Does Impromp2 count?

Fuck it Imma say they count.

if i were an FBI Agent tasked with monitoring a forum, I'd post random pictures and watch the reactions of the people.
    j3xxbrubogcz1kewbepy.gif

Você é um otário. Zé buceta. Vai tomar no meio do seu cu. Filho da puta. Arrombado
    King Of The Onomatopoeia
    achewon87rip.dilla
  • Black_SamsonBlack_Samson do 10 pushups everytime you read my post... you know you want too. Posts: 60,683 Regulator
    The RH Factor Hard Groove Album is jumping lemme see if I can post its playlist...

the RH Factor, "Hardgroove":
    if i were an FBI Agent tasked with monitoring a forum, I'd post random pictures and watch the reactions of the people.
    j3xxbrubogcz1kewbepy.gif

Você é um otário. Zé buceta. Vai tomar no meio do seu cu. Filho da puta. Arrombado
    King Of The Onomatopoeia
    achewon87king hassanLcnsdbyROYALTY