What's up everybody! Just a quick message. We will be relaunching AllHipHop.com with the goal of keeping the community front and center. I have worked with Jamal and select moderators, to make sure The Illl Community's needs are being addressed as we evolve. We are encouraging you to use the new platform.

We will NOT be closing the current community, but we will be porting user data over to the new system over time, so please get used to using the new community!

We will be working on it every single day until it's exactly what you want!

Please feel free to join now, test, as we are in beta:

https://www.allhiphop.com

Disney’s Live-Action ‘Aladdin’ Movie Struggles to Find Stars of Middle Eastern or Indian Descent

1CK1S1CK1S Posts: 27,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
Disney is in a whole new world of trouble. The live-action adaptation of Aladdin is reportedly struggling to cast its lead roles of Aladdin and Jasmine, the street rat and the Arabian princess who stole each other’s (and our) hearts in the classic 1992 animated film.

Disney and director Guy Ritchie are intent on finding an unknown actor and actress of Middle Eastern or Indian descent, as the animated movie takes place in the fictional Middle Eastern city of Agrabah. However, because Aladdin will continuing Beauty and the Beast‘s trend of adapting the musical elements of the animated films, Disney and Ritchie are having trouble finding stars of color who can act and sing.

Disney, Ritchie, and casting director Randi Hiller launched a massive global casting call in March to find the stars of the live-action adaptation of Aladdin, but 2,000 actors and actress auditions later, the team have been unable to find leads in their 20s who can sing and act.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, the original casting call had planned for production to begin in July, but Disney and Ritchie have been forced to go back to the drawing board.

“The test process was a mess,” a casting agent told THR, commenting on the several rounds of tests that took place in London, with actors coming in for up to two weeks at a time.

Though Ritchie is intent on finding his diamond in the rough for the lead roles like Lily James for Cinderella or Neel Sethi for Mowgli in The Jungle Book, THR reports that the studio at one point was eyeing Dev Patel or Riz Ahmed. Ahmed would have been an inspired choice because he is a musician who has featured on the Hamilton mix tape — albeit a rapper that goes by the name Riz MC — when he is not an actor. The team presumably doesn’t want to take away too much of the star focus from Will Smith, who is playing the buoyant, supernatural wish-granter Genie, who was played by the scene-stealing Robin Williams in the animated film.

The long and troubled search has compelled the casting crew to reach out to movie-musical veterans Marc Platt, who has produced musicals and worked on Disney’s upcoming Mary Poppins Returns, and Chris Montan, an established executive music producer for Disney’s animated films, to consult on the project. There are a few names on the shortlist for Aladdin, THR reports.

Who Is Being Considered?

Aladdin: Dutch actor Achraf Koutet, Canadian actor Mena Massoud and American actor George Kosturos.

Jasmine: Naomi Scott, a half-Indian actress who played Kimberly in the new Power Rangers, and Indian actress Tara Sutaria.

http://www.slashfilm.com/disneys-live-action-aladdin-movie-struggles-to-find-stars-of-middle-eastern-or-indian-descent/
I don't have dreams I have goals. Dreams are what you have when you are sleep. Goals are what you strive to reach when you are awake!
southsil4lilsapp08_2001rip.dillaValentinez A. KaiserChi SnowLUClEN

Replies

• dontdiedontkillanyondontdiedontkillanyon Show me some love, you losers. Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bollywood is the largest film industry in the world. It can't be that difficult to hire a Bollywood casting director to find people. I'm glad no one is buying this bullshit.
    Ajackson17Sion
  • texas409texas409 Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    them Indians so white washed they dont even wanna be considered
  • C da Night KingC da Night King Antisocial Extrovert Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 13
    Not up on Bollywood much. Do many of them have heavy Indian accents? If so, that could be part of the issue with casting someone from Bollywood.
  • sapp08_2001sapp08_2001 #Sawse San DiegoPosts: 7,210 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can get my girl priyanka chopra (from quantico) to play jasmine. She an actress and a singer and she Indian and did I mention she bad?

2duxj4m.jpg

Damn she fine
    silverfoxxBreezy_Kilroy
  • nawledge_godnawledge_god DJ Kat Show shirt wearin' ass nigga Chiraq RefugeePosts: 5,467 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hire Dis Neega To Play The Tiger

547cf49905fc9_-_naveen-andrews-lost-msc.jpg
    sapp08_2001KingFreemanValentinez A. KaiserChi Snow
  • BroddieBroddie gozando y bailando vivo yo NYCPosts: 9,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    charles2 wrote: »
    Not up on Bollywood much. Do many of them have heavy Indian accents? If so, that could be part of the issue with casting someone from Bollywood.

Over 100 million English speakers in that country. I'm sure you can find one who doesn't speak like Apu.
    2604vgo.jpg

R.I.P. Darwyn Cooke
    KingFreemanblack caesarinfamous114
  • CainCain The audacity of you fuck niggas Cyttorax DimensionPosts: 43,669 Regulator
    Just give every role to the cast of the Last Airbender
    I mod without feelings or remorse.

Just been through it all man
    Blood sweat and tears
    Niggaz is dead and shit
    What the fuck else can happen yo?
    I dont think much more son, word to mother yo
    We done seen it all, and been through it all yo
    Let y'all niggaz know right now
    Word to mother, for real, for real
    I aint ever goin back
    BroddieKingFreemanBender Rodriguez
  • vagrant-718vagrant-718 Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can get my girl priyanka chopra (from quantico) to play jasmine. She an actress and a singer and she Indian and did I mention she bad?

2duxj4m.jpg

This is the chick that didnt want to be will smith love intrest in a bollywood movie

What Bollywood movie was will smith in?
    KairoSion
  • The Lonious MonkThe Lonious Monk Man with No Fucks Given Posts: 25,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hire Dis Neega To Play The Tiger

547cf49905fc9_-_naveen-andrews-lost-msc.jpg

He'd make a good Jafar. Ya'll know your suggestions are too dark. They looking for those white Arabs and Indians.
    Niggas think that they own things and man sits high upon thrones
    But when you die, tell me what the fuck you own.
    When your skin, flesh, and bones find a permanent home
    as food for worms or fossils trapped in stone. - Rza in "What's Going On?"

m63Y62.gif
  • HundredEyes HundredEyes Posts: 2,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So we're just gonna lump arabs n Indians together? lol. Ol Asians are all the same folk lmao.

Disappointed in Guy Ritchie man...did they really say they couldn't find an Indian who couldn't sing n act?

But looks like a fellow dutchman is gonna play alladin though.

Guess every disadvantage has an advantage lmao
    sapp08_2001Sion
  • sapp08_2001sapp08_2001 #Sawse San DiegoPosts: 7,210 ✭✭✭✭✭

2duxj4m.jpg

This is the chick that didnt want to be will smith love intrest in a bollywood movie

Link?
  • CottonCitySlimCottonCitySlim Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

2duxj4m.jpg

What Bollywood movie was will smith in?

It never happened
    rip.dillasapp08_2001
  • nj2089nj2089 Posts: 4,225 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol can't just cast someone if they look like them when they gotta know how to sing and act
  • SuperManuelSuperManuel I'll getchu bitch!!! Somewhere drunk off my ass.Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get Aziz Ansari to play the monkey

they better get gilbert Gottfried to play iago.
    illestni99ainne