What's up everybody! Just a quick message. We will be relaunching AllHipHop.com with the goal of keeping the community front and center. I have worked with Jamal and select moderators, to make sure The Illl Community's needs are being addressed as we evolve. We are encouraging you to use the new platform.

We will NOT be closing the current community, but we will be porting user data over to the new system over time, so please get used to using the new community!

We will be working on it every single day until it's exactly what you want!

Please feel free to join now, test, as we are in beta:

https://www.allhiphop.com

Chance The Rapper says that 1990's Rappers were fabricated

Replies

• genocidecuttergenocidecutter Posts: 16,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He's right
    Gives us back images in sigs
  • double0sugedouble0suge Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn kanye the first name he could come up with?
    illedout
  • aneed123aneed123 Posts: 22,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TheGOAT wrote: »
    Cliff notes before people go off and don't understand what he's saying

He said on rappers being themselves behind the mic...

"The fact that it's able to be a main stage or mainstream image, and accepted and celebrated is because of folks like Kanye," said Chance. "[He] came in the game and was like 'This is who I am, and these are the type of things that I love, and I'm excited about them, and I don't necessarily have to carry myself as anybody that I'm not.' And people picked up on it."...

"There's always been a quiet conversation and joke that if you're not hard, if you're not from impoverished neighborhoods, if you're not certain constructs of a black stereotype, then you not black," he explained. "Niggas kinda ran with that in the '90s I think, and that's why there were so many fabricated hood niggas. But now, a lot of black people have a lot more pride in being who they are, and understanding that is part of the black experience, is living and being who you are. I think it's more accepted on the main stage."

http://www.complex.com/music/2017/08/chance-the-rapper-talks-90s-kanye-west

He right... u got drake wale ColeKendrick all different types of emotional niggas who don't fit the 90s gangsta ingnant nigga. U had exceptions back then but if u were perceived as soft it was an issue
  • Peezy_JenkinsPeezy_Jenkins Posts: 32,189 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In b4 this become a "back in my day" thread
    Spodee-Revenge

Iamsu!-Compound

Keef has quotables in the original that your remix isn't fuckin' wit.

Them hoes they do it for Sosa
    Tadoe off the Molly water
    So nigga be cool like water
    Fore you get hit with this lava

Bitch I'm the trending topic
    Don't care no price I'll cop it b
    And yo bitch steady jockin' me

Yall want a thug or a black militant repping your culture but 90% of you had a life too good or privileged to relate to your ideal hip hop "legend". Niggas wanna be hard without being that hard themselves as compensation
    please don't argue, cuz if u say sum stupid i will question it and u will act like a victim, happens every time lol
    *~queenbee~*
  • Matike85Matike85 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In b4 this become a "back in my day" thread

Too Late
  • blackrainblackrain Posts: 26,297 Regulator
    Base off Vlad interviews, it's seems like them 90s niggas really got busy. Imo the fabrication really started with the Bling Bling era.

Nah there was alot of niggas in the 90's who rapped about street shit that had never been in the streets a day in their life, but because it was selling that's what they went with. Yeah there were some niggas who really were dope boys or gangsta niggas turned rappers, but there was plenty who were just making up what they rapped about or talking about niggas they grew up around and not actually their own lives.
    Young StefMallyG
  • Qiv_OwanQiv_Owan Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see where he was going with this
    tumblr_m5ems1iw2F1qi26lwo1_500.gif
    rs_640x360-160619194524-game_of_thrones-battle_of_the_bastards-6_55_33_pm_-_6_55_37_pm-2016-06-19.gif
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Posts: 15,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The #1 issue with my generation is their lack of knowledge of the past. Chance is showing this issue with his point of view. You had the whole fucking Zulu Nation movement back in the 90s. Sure many rappers were under a phony image. However you had conscious afrocentric rap back then.

Shit Kanye would have never been Kanye without Q-Tip who infamously stars Low End Theory about how shit goes in cycles. While i have liked chances music he has really started to get on my nerves with his modern persona. First he bullied mtv to remove an unfavorable concert review. Then he tries to make himself out to be "indy" when apple is giving him the bag (see @GetoBoy i do call out apple music). Now this nigga is making blanket statements about the 90s and Kanye post 90s not knowing afrocentric rap from that era inspired Kanye.
    559833_448570031895809_125247706_n.jpg
    BiggwillieMatike85Soloman_The_WiseYoung Stef
  • Matike85Matike85 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 11
    The #1 issue with my generation is their lack of knowledge of the past. Chance is showing this issue with his point of view. You had the whole fucking Zulu Nation movement back in the 90s. Sure many rappers were under a phony image. However you had conscious afrocentric rap back then.

Shit Kanye would have never been Kanye without Q-Tip who infamously stars Low End Theory about how shit goes in cycles. While i have liked chances music he has really started to get on my nerves with his modern persona. First he bullied mtv to remove an unfavorable concert review. Then he tries to make himself out to be "indy" when apple is giving him the bag (see @GetoBoy i do call out apple music). Now this nigga is making blanket statements about the 90s and Kanye post 90s not knowing afrocentric rap from that era inspired Kanye.

Exactly... Chance The Rapper act like he innovative a new wheel cycle in Hip Hop ... But the more he talks and his actions confirms that he is an industry plant... Justice League & Spike Lee Exposes him already and there will be more at his neck now...

Lacrae created Chance The Rapper Lane that Chance The Rapper used he needs to pay Homage to him not Kanye West
    tompetrez3MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
  • The Lonious MonkThe Lonious Monk Man with No Fucks Given Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got no problem with what he said. People acing like rappers in the 90s weren't saying the same thing about other rappers in the 90s. I'd question what he's basing his perspective on given he wasn't around in the 90s, but that doesn't make what he said wrong.
    Niggas think that they own things and man sits high upon thrones
    But when you die, tell me what the fuck you own.
    When your skin, flesh, and bones find a permanent home
    as food for worms or fossils trapped in stone. - Rza in "What's Going On?"

m63Y62.gif
    Peezy_Jenkins
  • qawshunqawshun Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    who's the 1st 90's rapper that came to mind ??
    "lose money or lose sleep"
    daily_gifdump_123_05.giftumblr_me2cb1Jh511r74705o1_r1_500.gif[img][/img]ba1mo79oaeod.png
  • Soloman_The_WiseSoloman_The_Wise The Make It Happen Man... Puget SoundPosts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cliff notes before people go off and don't understand what he's saying

He said on rappers being themselves behind the mic...

"The fact that it's able to be a main stage or mainstream image, and accepted and celebrated is because of folks like Kanye," said Chance. "[He] came in the game and was like 'This is who I am, and these are the type of things that I love, and I'm excited about them, and I don't necessarily have to carry myself as anybody that I'm not.' And people picked up on it."...

"There's always been a quiet conversation and joke that if you're not hard, if you're not from impoverished neighborhoods, if you're not certain constructs of a black stereotype, then you not black," he explained. "Niggas kinda ran with that in the '90s I think, and that's why there were so many fabricated hood niggas. But now, a lot of black people have a lot more pride in being who they are, and understanding that is part of the black experience, is living and being who you are. I think it's more accepted on the main stage."

http://www.complex.com/music/2017/08/chance-the-rapper-talks-90s-kanye-west

i can get with that and lets lose the 90's mentality. the 90's are the new70's

Naw the 90's are to Hip Hop and the Urban Community what the 60's were to the Rock and Roll White bread community. Musically bth era represented a baseline for everything after to be measured against...
    The world Don't Understand Me, We are Living in Insanity, When I speak Profanity, It helps me Feed My Family, They Try and Banish Me, Because they Fear what I say, Spit Knowledge to the youth, Truth shows another way...

Originally Posted by south4life

"I'm not a drug dealer but, I'm cool with alot of street niggas...
    cause they respect the fact that I'm real with them, I'm not trying to be something I ain't.
    I'm cool with alot of street niggas here too cause, I come off as just being me and when I see them I holla and keep it moving. That's what's wrong with everybody now, they make being a gangsta or thug as the benchmark of being real. U know what's real, a nigga working a 9 to 5, busting his ass everyday without having to break a law."

The world Don't Understand Me, We are Living in Insanity, When I speak Profanity, It helps me Feed My Family, They Try and Banish Me, Because they Fear what I say, Spit Knowledge to the youth, Truth shows a better way...

I do not hate White People, Hell I regularly enjoy many White Women intimately, But I cannot stand Wiggers, RedNecks, or any Fag White Boys that do not Know there Place in shit...
    SneakDZAoptimisticBenjaminE
  • BedStuyBedStuy My caliber, got me thinking on a higher algebra Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He's generalizing.
    This right here. I don't really listen to 90's babies anyway because some like to talk about things when they were less than 5 years old at the time.
    tumblr_oevnc1iVjw1vet0bvo1_1280.jpg
    mc317blackgod813Soloman_The_WiseLike Water
  • mc317mc317 Deranged Meat the landPosts: 5,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Born in 93 lost respect for this nigga as a human being
    Cold Sardines Cold Sardines fuck em and feed em Cold Sardines
    Soloman_The_Wise
  • gum989gum989 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh yea

...in before someone says they never heard a chance the rapper song

I've never heard one.
    Soloman_The_Wise
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Posts: 15,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got no problem with what he said. People acing like rappers in the 90s weren't saying the same thing about other rappers in the 90s. I'd question what he's basing his perspective on given he wasn't around in the 90s, but that doesn't make what he said wrong.

I was born in 1990. But i fucking researched and listened to shit from the 90s. I don't know every artist from the era but grew up understanding what the afrocentric themes from the 90s were like. If you become a lawyer you learn about case studies and history of law. If you become a doctor you learn the history of science. If chance can't even understand the powerful diversity of popular rap in the 90s he doesn't get a pass for understanding the basic afrocentric theme of 90s rap.

The nigga chance is supposed to be well educated and comes from a political family from Chicago. He can't have this label of coming from such greatness and smarts and not know the simple fact that tribe and de la soul are the reason kanye is who he is. How the flying fuck does he not know common since existed in the same town he grew up in? A dumb mumble rapper gets a pass. Chance can't play dumb.
    559833_448570031895809_125247706_n.jpg
    Matike85Soloman_The_Wise
  • FosheezyFosheezy AKA Flying Wonders the Diamond Mind Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always said Kanye was the father that made it cool to come in the game on some non gangsta stuff.
    Matike85ListencloseroptimisticChi Snow*~queenbee~*Like Water