What's up everybody! Just a quick message. We will be relaunching AllHipHop.com with the goal of keeping the community front and center. I have worked with Jamal and select moderators, to make sure The Illl Community's needs are being addressed as we evolve. We are encouraging you to use the new platform.

We will NOT be closing the current community, but we will be porting user data over to the new system over time, so please get used to using the new community!

We will be working on it every single day until it's exactly what you want!

Please feel free to join now, test, as we are in beta:

https://www.allhiphop.com

Foreign (non US) Film,World Cinema & TV recommendtion thread.

fortyacresfortyacres Posts: 3,323 Regulator
edited August 13 in Lights, Camera, Action!
For those who want to expand their movie and fild palette, This thread is for movie or tv show recommendations from countries outside hollywood/us.

Please post some could be Old or New joints that you think people should check out....

elle-258494210-large.jpg

French movie , about a middle aged lady who owns a game company who get raped and she tries to figure out who did it amidst her internal family beefs.

404_thanksobama.gif
source.gif

lazypakmanBetaHundredEyes dontdiedontkillanyonatribecalledgabi

Replies

• HundredEyes HundredEyes Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lbidxmol4z8j.jpg

For the detective fans out there, 4 eps per season, post ww2 setting, Oxford England...good old fashion pre computer era detective work.

Lord Varys (mortician) n maester qyburn(commissioner) star in it aswell for you game of thrones heads.

Based on Colin Dexter's inspector Morse books(and tv series)...
    fortyacres
    jgrlvzken4sj.jpg

Modern classic. Part 2 was gutter thrash though
    Lord_Hades_08
    And for those who have been living under a rock:

4rw64u1pc5n4.jpg

jefplyp3estw.jpg

fortyacresdontdiedontkillanyonatribecalledgabi
    Paul Verhoeven's rise to fame film:

1uo41vysf0h2.jpg
    lazypakman
    Another classic...might aswell check all of Park Chan Wook's films

qdn134fijsth.jpg
    fortyacresatribecalledgabi
  • dontdiedontkillanyondontdiedontkillanyon Show me some love, you losers. Posts: 9,718 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the-handmaiden-poster.jpg

After over a year of waiting I fInally got round to watching The Handmaiden, and no, I wasn't disappointed.

It's based on the novel 'Fingersmith' by Sarah Waters, and to take what is a Victorian-era novel and transplant it in 30's Korea without losing a step shows a filmmaker at the top of their game.

It is effectively an erotic thriller where relationships prove to be provocative and ultimately twisted: where sex seems like nothing but a long con and nothing is as it seems at first glance. Like all films that Park Chan-Wook tackles this could have easily fallen into the absurd, but as always you witness a masterclass in cinema.

Park Chan-Wook is one of my favourite directors out there, and to me this is up there with his best. I watched the theatrical version, and there is supposed to be a director's cut available as well - I'll be seeking that one out too.

ob_b3a2fe_toni-erdmann-logo.jpg

A two and a half hour German comedy doesn't sound like the most appealing of films, but what you get is a genuinely humorous character study that is as happy to be as absurd as be invest in the humanist side of its subjects.

It is literally a film about a father following her daughter about in a quite stalkerish and creepy manner: a daughter who to put it politely, has outgrown her father. It's the interaction along with the sheer ridiculous set-pieces that see that armour gradually chip away to reveal a relationship of yesteryear.

It's already getting a Hollywood remake with Jack Nicholson and Kristen Wiig... I have low expectations.
    HundredEyes atribecalledgabi
  • atribecalledgabiatribecalledgabi DragonstonePosts: 12,688 Regulator
    The handmaiden was the shit.

Been wanting to catch Elle for a long time but don't know where to watch (don't wana see it illegally).

The raid redemption is the best action movie I've ever seen.
    HundredEyes
    From looking at the views and post count of this thread I guess one can conclude that the IC gives no fucks about foreign films lmao
    atribecalledgabi
  • atribecalledgabiatribecalledgabi DragonstonePosts: 12,688 Regulator
    From looking at the views and post count of this thread I guess one can conclude that the IC gives no fucks about foreign films lmao

I be on my phone too much to read subtitles lol
    HundredEyes
  • giftedgifted Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    Amores Perros was the movie that got me into foreign films. Then Old Boy.
  • dogfromduckhuntdogfromduckhunt Posts: 694 ✭✭✭✭
    13 Assassins
    Ode To My Father
    Instructions Not Included
    New World (the Korean one)
    Infernal Affairs Trilogy
    Company Man
    Dream Home
    Yojimbo, Rashomon, Seven Samurai, Hidden Fortress..anything from Akira Kurosawa basically

Top Boy
    The Night Manager
    The Devil's Double
    tumblr_n79ndbsAMz1qeoi4jo1_400.gif
    HundredEyes