What's up everybody! Just a quick message. We will be relaunching AllHipHop.com with the goal of keeping the community front and center. I have worked with Jamal and select moderators, to make sure The Illl Community's needs are being addressed as we evolve. We are encouraging you to use the new platform.

We will NOT be closing the current community, but we will be porting user data over to the new system over time, so please get used to using the new community!

We will be working on it every single day until it's exactly what you want!

Please feel free to join now, test, as we are in beta:

https://www.allhiphop.com

Rules of Hip Hop

CashmoneyDuxCashmoneyDux Posts: 10,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 13 in The Reason
I remember Mos Def saying that a problem with hip hop is that we don't have guidelines like other genres. What are some things yall think should be in the Ten Commandments of Hip hop?

Ghost writing automatically disqualifies you from being a GOAT rapper (for you slow niggas, this doesn't include hooks)

Sales do not equal quality-just because someone sells out, doesn't automatically make their music good.

Add more if you can think of any.

tumblr_mldz8wN84X1rc2u19o2_400.gif

icUWzM.gif

Top 10:
Jay Electronica
Blu
Fashawn
Elzhi
Phonte
MF Doom
Lil B
Kebee
Verbal Jint
Wretch 32
onetoughmiraclebkkbullyLcnsdbyROYALTY

Replies

• Ear2DaStEar2DaSt STREET MILITARY till Infinity !!!! Posts: 10,406 ✭✭✭✭✭
    no goofball rap .... but it aint gonna happen
    Street Military members:

K.B. DA KIDNAPPA , LIL FLEA , ICEY HOTT , PHAROAH , KLONDIKE KAT , R.I.P. NUTT

Killa Klan members: BAM , SKI-BO , TOO , STACK PACK , 2-REAL , FAKKULTY
    there's no way to regulate it
    Street Military members:

• HerbalVaporCapersHerbalVaporCapers IC Retirement HomePosts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thou shalt never diss a rapper and then show up their city like it's all good

Exhibit A

BEFORE

AFTER
    8976037.png

To the fullest. We can even say going to someone else's neighborhood in your own city like Kafani is a no-no too
    leftcoastkev
  • Idiopathic JokerIdiopathic Joker PISTOL GRIP PUMP IN MY LAP AT ALL TIMES Working On My LowriderPosts: 45,151 Regulator
    Other genres have rules?
    Fuck you, I'm a mod
  • HerbalVaporCapersHerbalVaporCapers IC Retirement HomePosts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other genres have rules?

Hip Hop isn't just a genre though, it's a culture.

I would say anything that starts as a musical expression/activity that either belongs to a greater cultural continuum or creates a culture around it has either written or unwritten rules
    onetoughmiracleCashmoneyDuxTHE_R_
  • thagreat45thagreat45 Roc City NY 585 Live SetPosts: 127 ✭✭
    'Thou shall not use ghostwriters'

I know one of em better be this. If niggaz writin' yo shit get the fuck all the way out of rap forever fake ass nigga
    I dunno but im not gonna disqualify a rapper for ghost writers

cuz it's something used in the industry some get caught some don't

it's usually the snicky lil fake one that get's away with everything anyway
    Street Military members:

I don't like rappers that basically copy from everything hott at the time and used it as their own or slightly switch it up and claim it as their own .... it's usually those lil slick rappers that everyone likes and get's away with everything

that hang around snitches but never get's any dirt on him ...

there are certain rappers that can tell you anything and you believe it like not writing out songs but just freestyle the songs ... smh but people believe anything when they are infatuated with a certain rapper... yeah right

SUC boyz would do freestyles and really made the shit much more popular but u could tell it was real cuz they would make mistakes on a Dj Screw tape ... straight of the top of the dome

Im not saying you can't do a freestyle without mistakes but it aint gonna be just perfect

those type of freestyle most likely is pre-rehearsed

You can do a freestyle or 2 off the top superb az shit

but a whole album off the dome no mistakes no edits? come on dude who you foolin ,,,

oh yeah those krazy infatuated brain washed stans .... not trying to be mean but come on man
    Street Military members:

• water ur seedswater ur seeds Posts: 17,511 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 14
    THE_R_ wrote: »
    BE YOURSELF

I think I will say most of rappers break this rule...
    'The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero uses his fear, projects it onto his opponent, while the coward runs. It's the same thing, fear, but it's what you do with it that matters.'

aUPgli.gif
    CainTHE_R_LcnsdbyROYALTY
  • water ur seedswater ur seeds Posts: 17,511 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always give props the rappers before you, especially if you borrowed something from them (i.e their flow, lyrics, beats)...
    'The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero uses his fear, projects it onto his opponent, while the coward runs. It's the same thing, fear, but it's what you do with it that matters.'

aUPgli.gif
    THE_R_
  • blackgod813blackgod813 Posts: 9,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thou shalt never diss a rapper and then show up their city like it's all good

Exhibit A

BEFORE

AFTER
    8976037.png

To the fullest. We can even say going to someone else's neighborhood in your own city like Kafani is a no-no too

I hate what happen to him an i really hate philthy rich
  • blackgod813blackgod813 Posts: 9,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He cried on the witness stand when he described Beasley shooting him in the face, chest and legs with a .45mm Glock. He said Beasley just wouldn’t stop shooting.... That dumb shit break my heart :s
    it's ok to be influenced slightly but don't use hott songs and bite it and use it as your own then you come with a hiit off it
    Street Military members:

• x the unknownx the unknown Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thagreat45 wrote: »
    'Thou shall not use ghostwriters'

I know one of em better be this. If niggaz writin' yo shit get the fuck all the way out of rap forever fake ass nigga

it's a lot of em
    my top five
    1. nas
    2. styles p
    3. scarface
    4. skillz
    5. lloyd banks