Recommend a Non-Fiction Book

SkeratchSkeratch Posts: 1,395 ✭✭
edited December 2011 in The Social Lounge
I like reading history, politics and biographies.

King Leopold's Ghost - Adam Hochschild
The Great War for Civilization - Robert Fisk

What are some good non-fiction books you've read?
«13456710

Replies

  • Hyde ParkeHyde Parke Posts: 2,573
    edited September 2010
    The Wretched of The Earth- Frantz Fanon<- good history book on the Algerian struggle for independence from colonialism.

    The Prophet- Khalil Gibran<- reading this now, good book on spiritual philosophy.
  • SkeratchSkeratch Posts: 1,395 ✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Hyde Parke wrote: »
    The Wretched of The Earth- Frantz Fanon<- good history book on the Algerian struggle for independence from colonialism.

    The Prophet- Khalil Gibran<- reading this now, good book on spiritual philosophy.

    Nice drops, I'll have to check the Wretched of the Earth out. The Great War for Civilization had a chapter on Algeria - that was one messed up war.

    I watched L'Ennemi Intime (Intimate Enemies) a while ago, great movie on the French-Algerian war. Disturbing.
  • ThaChozenWunThaChozenWun Posts: 9,390
    edited September 2010
    The Game - Niel Strauss
    KalecrunchSuperSoaker
  • Hyde ParkeHyde Parke Posts: 2,573
    edited September 2010
    Skeratch wrote: »
    Nice drops, I'll have to check the Wretched of the Earth out. The Great War for Civilization had a chapter on Algeria - that was one messed up war.

    I watched L'Ennemi Intime (Intimate Enemies) a while ago, great movie on the French-Algerian war. Disturbing.


    yeah fam, def check that out, its a real eye opener that goes deep into the psychological damage suffered from all of that. it puts
    it all in a clear perspective...

    Now i gotta check that movie out you speaking of, sounds interesting. Im starting to get deeper into our History, so much stuff out there, so many stories lost, and untold on a national level.
  • SkeratchSkeratch Posts: 1,395 ✭✭
    edited September 2010
    The Game - Niel Strauss

    Does that guy offer tips, is he serious, or is it just an expose of those pick-up artists?
  • SkeratchSkeratch Posts: 1,395 ✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Hyde Parke wrote: »
    yeah fam, def check that out, its a real eye opener that goes deep into the psychological damage suffered from all of that. it puts
    it all in a clear perspective...

    Now i gotta check that movie out you speaking of, sounds interesting. Im starting to get deeper into our History, so much stuff out
    there, so many stories lost, and untold.

    Sounds good, I'll check for it the next time I'm at the library. You're right, a lot of stories haven't been told or haven't been told from a different perspective.

    Yeah, it's a French movie and I was surprised because the French are usually pretty bad at admitting when they've made colonial mistakes.
  • ThaChozenWunThaChozenWun Posts: 9,390
    edited September 2010
    Skeratch wrote: »
    Does that guy offer tips, is he serious, or is it just an expose of those pick-up artists?

    He goes into his journey very very detailed. He writes his story 65% of the book, but it has all the specifics into the story. Then another like 20% of pages are emails and stuff he saved from then, 10% are more tips just sketched on the pages, and the other 5% are random things, like what women find interesting that you're wearing, what type of things they don't and stuff like that.

    Like he goes into each PUA's method, what worked, why it worked, how it worked, the lines he was taught, etc... Even if you're someone who can pick up women now, just reading the book will make you pick em up 100 times better. Basically reading his book is the equivalent of paying 1500 to go one of the Guru's shows. The shit is amazing.
    Kalecrunch
  • SkeratchSkeratch Posts: 1,395 ✭✭
    edited September 2010
    He goes into his journey very very detailed. He writes his story 65% of the book, but it has all the specifics into the story. Then another like 20% of pages are emails and stuff he saved from then, 10% are more tips just sketched on the pages, and the other 5% are random things, like what women find interesting that you're wearing, what type of things they don't and stuff like that.

    Like he goes into each PUA's method, what worked, why it worked, how it worked, the lines he was taught, etc... Even if you're someone who can pick up women now, just reading the book will make you pick em up 100 times better. Basically reading his book is the equivalent of paying 1500 to go one of the Guru's shows. The shit is amazing.

    Sounds good, as long as my woman doesn't find the book.
    Valentinez A. Kaiser
  • Hyde ParkeHyde Parke Posts: 2,573
    edited September 2010
    Skeratch wrote: »
    Sounds good, I'll check for it the next time I'm at the library. You're right, a lot of stories haven't been told or haven't been told from a different perspective.

    Yeah, it's a French movie and I was surprised because the French are usually pretty bad at admitting when they've made colonial mistakes.

    lol, yeah im half haitian, i know how the French get down with they're fuckery.
  • SkeratchSkeratch Posts: 1,395 ✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Hyde Parke wrote: »
    lol, yeah im half haitian, i know how the French get down with they're fuckery.

    Damn, for sure then.

    Check out "Shake Hands with the Devil" by Romeo Dallaire too, if you haven't already. The French fuckery is on full display there too.
  • Hyde ParkeHyde Parke Posts: 2,573
    edited September 2010
    Skeratch wrote: »
    Damn, for sure then.

    Check out "Shake Hands with the Devil" by Romeo Dallaire too, if you haven't already. The French fuckery is on full display there too.


    nah, i will have to check that out too, smh..props on that drop...im saving all these recommended so far and def will check them all out.

    this thread should to be stickied! Janklow, where you at?
  • SkeratchSkeratch Posts: 1,395 ✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Hyde Parke wrote: »
    nah, i will have to check that out too, smh..props on that drop...im saving all these recommended so far and def will check them all out.

    this thread should to be stickied! Janklow, where you at?

    Yeah, for real. I'm hoping for some more good drops over the weekend.
  • redhandedbanditredhandedbandit Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Hyde Parke wrote: »
    lol, yeah im half haitian, i know how the French get down with they're fuckery.

    sa kap fet! Books that are good, Assata, Manchild In the Promised Land, PIMP by iceberg slim,
  • Hyde ParkeHyde Parke Posts: 2,573
    edited September 2010
    sa kap fet! Books that are good, Assata, Manchild In the Promised Land, PIMP by iceberg slim,


    hey sak pase! Eske se ayiti ou soti? Good to see someone else who also speaks Kreyol... Pimp, is mos definitely a good read..Ive read that one about 3x already..
  • urmybitchurmybitch Posts: 284
    edited September 2010
    A People's History of the United States- Howard Zinn
    Manufacturing Consent- Noam Chomsky
    The Second Treatise of Government and A Letter Concerning Toleration- John Locke

    These our all classic books. Noam Chomsky is probably one of the smartest people alive today, He's an MIT proffesor but gets little publicity because of his views on America. The same can be said with Howard Zinn but he is no longer alive but he's probably just as controversial as Chomsky. A People's History is probably one of the most important history books written in modern times since it offers a different perspective on things such as Slavery, the way Native Americans were treated by America and women's rights.
  • janklowjanklow god's lonely man. Posts: 6,410 Regulator
    edited September 2010
    Hyde Parke wrote: »
    Janklow, where you at?
    probably not constantly sitting on the forum waiting breathlessly on your every request
  • Hyde ParkeHyde Parke Posts: 2,573
    edited September 2010
    urmybitch wrote: »
    A People's History of the United States- Howard Zinn
    Manufacturing Consent- Noam Chomsky
    The Second Treatise of Government and A Letter Concerning Toleration- John Locke

    These our all classic books. Noam Chomsky is probably one of the smartest people alive today, He's an MIT proffesor but gets little publicity because of his views on America. The same can be said with Howard Zinn but he is no longer alive but he's probably just as controversial as Chomsky. A People's History is probably one of the most important history books written in modern times since it offers a different perspective on things such as Slavery, the way Native Americans were treated by America and women's rights.

    good recommendations, I listen to them on Democracy Now, every week they play audios of their speakings, along with Alan Watts.
    janklow wrote: »
    probably not constantly sitting on the forum waiting breathless on your every request

    ah, um, dont know how to respond to this exactly...ah Thanks?
  • Dick ShitmanDick Shitman Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    just finished outliers by malcolm gladwell. pretty good

    reading "the god delusion" by richard dawkins now
    Valentinez A. Kaiser
  • Focal PointFocal Point Kushite descent... wandering child from Meru of Old TrentonPosts: 14,624 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Destruction of Black Civilization- Chancellor Williams

    A Brief History of Time - Stephen Hawkins
    Valentinez A. Kaiser
  • MBEWANEMBEWANE Posts: 15
    edited September 2010
    Just read "Dead Aid" by Dombisa Moyo, on how Aid is actually holding back Africa and giving ideas for future actions. I would also highly recommend "Identity and Violence: the illusion of destiny" by Amartya Sen.
  • SkeratchSkeratch Posts: 1,395 ✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Good drops,

    Another one I thought of the other day: Untapped: the Scramble for Africa's Oil
  • robdaze151robdaze151 Posts: 2,019 ✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Circle of fear-Hussein Sumaida
    Growing up his dad was Saddam's best friend. This kid went against the grain and became a spy for the U.S
  • The JackalThe Jackal Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    The bible. Great book as long as you don't tak it to serious
    MoneyPowerRespectValentinez A. KaiserRubato GarciaEn-Fuego22
  • melanated khemistmelanated khemist Posts: 607
    edited October 2010
    Money, Bank Credit, and Economic Cycles
    by Jesus Huerta de Soto

    The United-Independent Compensatory Code/System/Concept: (A textbook/workbook for thought, speech, and/or action for victims of racism (white supremacy))
    by Neely Fuller Jr.


    The Nightmare and The Dream: Nas, Jay-Z and the History of Conflict in African-American Culture
    by Dax-Devlon Ross
  • GARRYGREENGARRYGREEN Posts: 4
    edited October 2010
    Someone wrote a book about nas and jay-z beefin? Man you stupid if you think they aint cool. Thas just sellin records. But jay-z is def the king of new york!

    Djlimegreen.com
    (free dl's weekly)
    google me bitch
«13456710
Sign In or Register to comment.