Reasons why (most) rap shows suck compared to other music genres shows

Daniel PlainviewDaniel Plainview Posts: 895
edited January 2011 in The Reason
1. Rappers yelling into the mic

stop screaming, thats what the microphone is for. If you sounded anything like this on your CD i wouldn't have it and I wouldn't be here.

2. Hypemen existing.

useless nigga yelling over the artist, please kill yourself. hollering shit at me like "GET THE FUCK UP!" shut up nigga, I payed for this ticket, YOU get the fuck up. or better yet, get the fuck out.

3. Rappers not finishing their lyrics.

A lil crowd interaction is cool, but you just dropped half of all your verses, and I want half my money back.

4. White people screaming nigga at the top of their lungs

Replies

• goldenjagoldenja Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011

stop screaming, thats what the microphone is for. If you sounded anything like this on your CD i wouldn't have it and I wouldn't be here.

2. Hypemen existing.

useless nigga yelling over the artist, please kill yourself. hollering shit at me like "GET THE FUCK UP!" shut up nigga, I payed for this ticket, YOU get the fuck up. or better yet, get the fuck out.

A lil crowd interaction is cool, but you just dropped half of all your verses, and I want half my money back.

this the only one i can co-sign
  • Already Home_17Already Home_17 Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011

2. Hypemen existing.

that part made me laugh for some reason
    but outta all the rappers I'll only pay to see 4 live
    jay,em,kanye,nas
  • king hassanking hassan south side somewherePosts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
  • P. TownP. Town Posts: 25,582 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    I mean, don't they scream at the top of they lungs at Rock concerts
  • TRILLip BrooksTRILLip Brooks Lefty Gunz, Lord High Executioner Posts: 17,096 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
  • shtoopidshtoopid Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    hip hop shows are woat. i can count on one hand the hip hop artist who's shows i can bump on the regular
  • Daniel PlainviewDaniel Plainview Posts: 895
    edited January 2011
    The Roots give a dope live show but I feel the t/s

thats because they dont do the things on my list. well white people yelling nigga... they cant control that
    edited January 2011
    ptowndonte wrote: »
    I mean, don't they scream at the top of they lungs at Rock concerts

yea some, but thats what those rock bands sound like on cd, and fans know they are supposed to sound like that in concert. rap is not supposed to sound like that.
  • N YO HOODN YO HOOD Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    stop having a million fucking niggas on stage with you, i dident pay money to see them niggas, this shit is notorious on the west coast
  • Legend24Legend24 Posts: 689
    edited January 2011
    I can't stand cats who sound completely different live than they do on the album. Live performances tend to confirm what a lot of us already know... these guys have no voice and probably require about 50 takes to get their verses right in the booth.

I don't want choppy yelling into the mic, I want a smooth delivery. You don't need 50 guys on stage with you waving their shirts around and yelling random shit.

K'naan was one of the best live hip-hop performances I have ever seen. His voice sounds just as good live as on the album, used live instrumentals to replicate studio beats and didn't have an abundance of dudes on the stage.
  • Str8SkippinStr8Skippin Posts: 136
    edited January 2011
    I think it's harder for rappers to perform live than artists in other genres of music. It''s very important for the rapper to create energy and vibe with the crowd (talk to them inbetween songs, tell a few stories, let them finish some lyrics, etc.). Jay-Z is terrific at this. I've also seen Atmosphere live and they were great as well. Very friendly and were constantly interacting with the crowd and hyping everyone up. I was impressed by J. Cole last month when I saw him too.

A lot of it depends on the crowd too. I mean if the crowd is kinda dead and not many people actually know the lyrics then it's hard for the artist to feel any energy. Rock artists definitely have an advantage with live shows because of how loud they are so they don't really need to rely on the crowd as much fore energy. They are kinda just doing their own thing, banging on drums and screaming into the mic while there is crazy pyro stuff going on in the background.
  • musicology1985musicology1985 Posts: 4,632
    edited January 2011
    I agree with Jay Z and the Roots. They are the best of the best live in Hip Hop.
  • P. TownP. Town Posts: 25,582 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    I agree with Jay Z and the Roots. They are the best of the best live in Hip Hop.

No. Jay is the GOAT to me, but that nigga is too bland on stage
  • musicology1985musicology1985 Posts: 4,632
    edited January 2011
    ptowndonte wrote: »
    No. Jay is the GOAT to me, but that nigga is too bland on stage

Shit I got my monies worth, too bad for you....
    edited January 2011
    The Roots live instrumentation >>>> seeing any producer stand behind a Macbook in 2011
  • D.James1026D.James1026 Posts: 257
    edited January 2011
    Shit I got my monies worth, too bad for you....

• CirocObamaCirocObama Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    LOL you niggas is hilarious. So Jay-Z is a good performer?

I know what it is. It all depends on what kinda show you're into.

You niggas who keep complainin about how a niggas voice sounds and shit are obviously into the SHOW more than the ENERGY. Y'all the type that like to see ACTS on stage. Y'all more of the glossy types.

REAL performers are artists like Busta, Red + Meth etc. They dont have any live bands or any of that glossy shit but can still move a crowd better than Jay-Z and still perform better. Yet for some reason they get hated on for not wanting live bands by purists smh.

Shit DMX used to rock crowds and perform WAY better than Jay-Z, check Hard Knock Life tour. What im sayin is you niggas is more into the SHOW, not the ENERGY that the artist bring. Jay-Z on stage is awkward as fuck and just stands still. But because his stage looks nice, and he has a live band and shit like that y'all think he dope.

That's what the mainstream Hip-Hop crowd is into now. Everybody wanna seem more artistic than they are and more "grown" so thats what everybody be on now.
  • panthro5000panthro5000 Posts: 169
    edited January 2011
    word to this thread, snoop also gives a good show imho

only thyme 15 dudes should be on stage is wu tang. saw both at rock the bells
  • king hassanking hassan south side somewherePosts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    N YO HOOD wrote: »
    stop having a million fucking niggas on stage with you, i dident pay money to see them niggas, this shit is notorious on the west coast

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

*sidenote* I did see MC Hammer back in the day in concert, you mos def got your money's worth!!!
    edited January 2011
    CirocObama wrote: »
    LOL you niggas is hilarious. So Jay-Z is a good performer?

I know what it is. It all depends on what kinda show you're into.

You niggas who keep complainin about how a niggas voice sounds and shit are obviously into the SHOW more than the ENERGY. Y'all the type that like to see ACTS on stage. Y'all more of the glossy types.

REAL performers are artists like Busta, Red + Meth etc. They dont have any live bands or any of that glossy shit but can still move a crowd better than Jay-Z and still perform better. Yet for some reason they get hated on for not wanting live bands by purists smh.

Shit DMX used to rock crowds and perform WAY better than Jay-Z, check Hard Knock Life tour. What im sayin is you niggas is more into the SHOW, not the ENERGY that the artist bring. Jay-Z on stage is awkward as fuck and just stands still. But because his stage looks nice, and he has a live band and shit like that y'all think he dope.

That's what the mainstream Hip-Hop crowd is into now. Everybody wanna seem more artistic than they are and more "grown" so thats what everybody be on now.

A live band is not "glossy" it's just better. But I dont expect a band at a hip hop show, so its all good. just sayin though, live instruments will always be better.

Red & Meth are some of the best performers in hip hop.

and half the time I've seen those big "glossy" performances on TV, the live band is The Roots, because its known that they are the best. It was the Roots at Jay-Z s "farewell" show in 2003 in NYC

3061258696_db2995f954_o.jpgAdam-Ahmir-JayZ1.jpgquestlove10.jpg
  • bmoreeastbmoreeast Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    To many niggas on stage, u barely know who the fuk is rapping.
    Sound quality is bullshit u dont usually know wat the hell their saying.
    Them niggas usually come on at 1:30-1:45 when the club closes at 2
  • esco sopranoesco soprano Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011

2. Hypemen existing.

Yo add niggaz comin on for their set after 10 horrendous local acts....only doing a verse per song on classics no less (fucking Nas concert this past March) and saying dumb shit between songs like "I know y'all smoke weed right."
  • blackrainblackrain Posts: 18,097 Regulator
    edited January 2011

2. Hypemen existing.

@ the bold...I really hate this shit...if I see a rapper performing on tv and they do this shit it's almost certain I'd never go see them live...I've seen a few rappers live...Outkast (self explanatory), Lupe (fucking insane), Talib Kweli (ok but a little too mellow for a live show for me), Busta (lots of energy), Nelly (lots of energy), The Up In Smoke Tour 2001 (if you've seen the DVD it was 20x better live) Fabolous (one of the worst live performers ever), Wiz Khalifa (puts on a dope live show) Cash Money (Lil Wayne is a real good live performer)...out of all those I'd honestly say Lupe was the best in terms of energy, crowd reaction/interaction, and he did all his own shit no hypeman, live band, finishing all his own verses and had a good mix of mixtape and album songs to get everybody hype...all the things you want to see...I'd even venture to say the live version of Lupe's Go Go Gadget Flow is the best live performance of one song i've ever seen
  • mattikmattik Posts: 226
    edited January 2011
    just to play devil's advocate on this, the crowd has a lot to do with it too. lot of dudes that go to hip-hop shows don't wanna come across as being too much of a fan or too excited about it, so they'll play it lowkey posted up on the wall meanmuggin.. that severely limits the energy from the crowd which makes the show worse.. i've heard a lot of rappers say they prefer to perform in europe because the crowd participates there, unlike in the US where everybody's a damn rapper and is more concerned with maintaining an image than with actually enjoying and participating in the show.

also worth noting is what kind of venue you're in.. i've seen jay-z on the rock the mic tour a while ago in a massive outdoor show, all ages and the show ended by 11.. and compare that to krs-one in a small club at 2am, intimate setting where he's walking through the crowd, freestyling, bringing up local rappers to kick rhymes with him.. it's just a totally different experience, not to say one is superior to the other, it's all a matter of preference.. personally, i prefer the small club, type'a show where afterwards you can get the artist to sign cds, say what up to them, whatever whatever
    edited January 2011
    mattik wrote: »
    just to play devil's advocate on this, the crowd has a lot to do with it too. lot of dudes that go to hip-hop shows don't wanna come across as being too much of a fan or too excited about it, so they'll play it lowkey posted up on the wall meanmuggin.. that severely limits the energy from the crowd which makes the show worse.. i've heard a lot of rappers say they prefer to perform in europe because the crowd participates there, unlike in the US where everybody's a damn rapper and is more concerned with maintaining an image than with actually enjoying and participating in the show.

also worth noting is what kind of venue you're in.. i've seen jay-z on the rock the mic tour a while ago in a massive outdoor show, all ages and the show ended by 11.. and compare that to krs-one in a small club at 2am, intimate setting where he's walking through the crowd, freestyling, bringing up local rappers to kick rhymes with him.. it's just a totally different experience, not to say one is superior to the other, it's all a matter of preference.. personally, i prefer the small club, type'a show where afterwards you can get the artist to sign cds, say what up to them, whatever whatever

True enough. some rappers know that some crowds are just like that , not real hype even if theyre into the show, and dont let it bother them. But ive def seen wack crowds cause shows to be lame.