Should rappers be held accountable.

H-Rap 180H-Rap 180 Posts: 15,452
edited July 2011 in The Reason

Replies

• DMTxTHCDMTxTHC Posts: 14,218
    edited July 2011
    Sun, i used to stay going to 125th, a lot of different groups build around there, Muslims and Black Hebrew Israelites. I love my city. Good points being made in the video too, seeing this would might make me homesick if i ever left.
  • H-Rap 180H-Rap 180 Posts: 15,452
    edited July 2011
    Sun, i used to stay going to 125th, a lot of different groups build around there, Muslims and Black Hebrew Israelites. I love my city. Good points being made in the video too, seeing this would might make me homesick if i ever left.

Thats why I love going back East because the bruthas be building on that knowledge more than they do out here on the West.
  • Ear2DaStEar2DaSt Posts: 6,186
    edited July 2011
    rappers should rap what comes from themselves not what somone tries to force them to say. nah to me its entertainment.
  • dirtysouthgirldirtysouthgirl Posts: 51
    edited July 2011
    Ear2DaSt wrote: »
    rappers should rap what comes from themselves not what somone tries to force them to say. nah to me its entertainment.

I agree...its entertainment. Its a parent's job to teach them the difference.
  • Jonas.diniJonas.dini Posts: 2,507
    edited July 2011
    It is too late and I'm too drunk to watch those videos, but my answer is basically: no.
  • babelbabel Posts: 435
    edited July 2011
    I agree...its entertainment. Its a parent's job to teach them the difference.

I used to agree that it was only entertainment but when you never break out of character it's a lifestyle. Like, you'll rarely see a wrestler break out of character but you also don't hear about them getting suplexed by some stranger outside a restaurant either. It stops being just entertainment when try to live their lyrics...so yes rappers should be held somewhat accountable.
  • CainCain Posts: 25,309
    edited July 2011
    Not just rappers but anyone in the spotlight should be accountable for their actions. To me once you step over the line to be an entertainer your words and your action are now under an microscope 24/7 be it right or wrong.
  • P. TownP. Town Posts: 25,264
    edited July 2011
    rappers should rap what comes from themselves not what somone tries to force them to say.

Co-sign this
  • thesynthesisthesynthesis Posts: 9,230
    edited July 2011
    Like dude said in the first video, america favors the bad guy, so what hope is there really?

Take 2pac for example, America shunned his political side, they tried to ban his records, but soon as he started rappin about "Gangsta Party" everyone was on his dick. Pacs idea in the long run was to get young kids in to his music and then flip it on them and get them politicized, so i respect his idea. He had a goal.

However this just goes to show a brother has to rap about guns, drugs and murder to reach the youth.

Jayz is prime example, a man with a big fanbase, yet he is still rappin about sellin crack in 88. He has such a huge platform to address the young punk niggas out there and help them. I saw a video the other day on worldstar, niggas from Marcey rappin about the exact same shit Jayz was doing 20 years ago, they were clearly influenced by the mans negatives.

These rappers are idols, father figures to some and do have influence over youngsters, rap music is the soundtrack to a lot of these kids lives.
  • politicalthug202politicalthug202 Posts: 3,098
    edited July 2011
    No it is not its fucking music holds your politicians, mayors and congressman
    accountable rap has nothing to do with real life.

there is no correelation between hip hop and crime stats prove that.

in fact murders have decreased since gangsta rap hit the scenes in the 90.

infact in the crack era in the 80"s rap was mostly positive.
  • ibedamnedibedamned Posts: 3,098
    edited July 2011
    I think this is a generational thing. People from the the "golden era" will probably say yes. They youngins will probably say no. At one point this was more then just entertainment, it was what gave us a voice in society. Most of us couldnt rap but the ones that could spoke for us and we expected them to b authentic and honest and we did hold them accountable. nowadays folks can get on and say anything and folks say "its JUST entertainment" to me thats sad because it wasnt always like that. Songs like "the message" werent just entertainment. Now dont get me wrong the shit was entertainment but if you were saying a certain thing, you had to really be about it.
  • ibedamnedibedamned Posts: 3,098
    edited July 2011
    Like dude said in the first video, america favors the bad guy, so what hope is there really?

Take 2pac for example, America shunned his political side, they tried to ban his records, but soon as he started rappin about "Gangsta Party" everyone was on his dick. Pacs idea in the long run was to get young kids in to his music and then flip it on them and get them politicized, so i respect his idea. He had a goal.

However this just goes to show a brother has to rap about guns, drugs and murder to reach the youth.

Jayz is prime example, a man with a big fanbase, yet he is still rappin about sellin crack in 88. He has such a huge platform to address the young punk niggas out there and help them. I saw a video the other day on worldstar, niggas from Marcey rappin about the exact same shit Jayz was doing 20 years ago, they were clearly influenced by the mans negatives.

These rappers are idols, father figures to some and do have influence over youngsters, rap music is the soundtrack to a lot of these kids lives.

Dude, when he dropped Kingdom Come, everybody complained " i cant relate to that being on a yacht in the french rivera shit" and the album was panned as a flop in some corners. I just didnt like the album cuz it was wack.
  • LincolnLincoln Posts: 1,279
    edited July 2011
    babel wrote: »
    I used to agree that it was only entertainment but when you never break out of character it's a lifestyle. Like, you'll rarely see a wrestler break out of character but you also don't hear about them getting suplexed by some stranger outside a restaurant either. It stops being just entertainment when try to live their lyrics...so yes rappers should be held somewhat accountable.

hahaha....

But there is great power in hip-hop, and as everybody should know, with great power, comes great responsibility.
    edited July 2011
    ibedamned wrote: »
    Dude, when he dropped Kingdom Come, everybody complained " i cant relate to that being on a yacht in the french rivera shit" and the album was panned as a flop in some corners. I just didnt like the album cuz it was wack.

there is truth in this, however like Chuck D said it's easy to rap negative, rapping positive is like climbing a mountain and it takes courage

jay replaced his crack rhymes for yacht rhymes, makes no difference, he enjoys playing the negative role model because that is what sells.

"I made a G today" But you made it in a sleazy way.
    Sellin' crack to the kids. "I gotta get paid,"
    Well hey, well, that's the way it is -
    edited July 2011
    there is truth in this, however like Chuck D said it's easy to rap negative, rapping positive is like climbing a mountain and it takes courage

jay replaced his crack rhymes for yacht rhymes, makes no difference, he enjoys playing the negative role model because that is what sells.

"I made a G today" But you made it in a sleazy way.
    Sellin' crack to the kids. "I gotta get paid,"
    Well hey, well, that's the way it is -

Jay-Z solo debut was 1996 and all the music videos for his songs were helicopters, limousines, and yachts...I don't think he ever replaced his rhymes.

His progression from Reasonable Doubt to American Gangster was simply Coke-lord to Heroin-lord....but in a 20 year career he seems to have found a winning formula.
    edited July 2011
    ether-i-am wrote: »
    yacht's are negative?

nothing positive about rhyming about yachts, its all superficial

from swag to crack, to guns and murking niggas...its a cycle of garbage, there is no balance, u sellin pipe dreams to these kids.

lets talk on politics, teach these lil niggas some history once in a while, address the balance.

niggas quick to say "i'm a real ass nigga", well den be a real ass nigga, speak some real shit, reality rap

this aint about jayz, it goes for most of these rappers

when u have a platform, u can make a change, ur in a position of power.

you have white artists such as morrissey addressing politics while still selling out arenas, enlightening the youth, on the flipside we have niggas goin on 50 still talkin about crack sales

if these white folk can do it and sell large amount of records and get luv, i dont see why niggas cant do that shit too

why niggas always have to play the bad guy?
  • MikeydaGawdMikeydaGawd Posts: 18,828
    edited July 2011

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • 'nino'jacob'nino'jacob Posts: 154
    edited July 2011
    Jay z & Nas get my respect cause they keep it in booth, niggas never been infront of camera in an interview like ''i live this, im the hardest out here, thug life!''
  • hiphophovahiphophova Posts: 710
    edited July 2011
    Rappers should be held accountable of all music genres Rap Music is the most direct which rarely relies on fantasy or made up stories.

They rap in 'first person tense' and all interviews they say 'its my life' 'i lived this' ..... etc etc. So if they dont want to be accountable for the words they say then at the start of the track and at the end give a PSA 'that this is all lies'

As for Jay he is negative his music is shallow and as for influence 'im not a rapper, im a hustler' so that has already eroded the mind of the young ones coming up. Let alone Jay being a Snake to his peoples rather be Lyor Cohens lap dog and Steve Stoutes bitch.

All the kids coming up dont like Jay anyway they find him boring, Jay has no subject matter either' im rich you cant buy my shit 'or' i sold crack' or 'please call me the best here is why' .... type of rhymes.
    edited July 2011
    ether-i-am wrote: »
    You ever been on a yacht or boat? It's s pretty positive experience. Real too.
    I'm just Saying.

sarcasm? how many of those broke project niggas in Marcey been on yachts and flown private jets

jay was rappin about crack in 88, yachts, private jets and murking niggas 20 year ago and he's still doin the same shit, only now he has more money in the bank and a wife.

there has been minimal progression in his music, a man having a mid life crisis

u'd think once a man reaches 50 he'd be kicking some father figure OG knowledge (seeing as he a real nigga), but what can u expect from a nigga with no seeds
    edited July 2011
    hiphophova wrote: »
    Rappers should be held accountable of all music genres Rap Music is the most direct which rarely relies on fantasy or made up stories.

They rap in 'first person tense' and all interviews they say 'its my life' 'i lived this' ..... etc etc. So if they dont want to be accountable for the words they say then at the start of the track and at the end give a PSA 'that this is all lies'

As for Jay he is negative his music is shallow and as for influence 'im not a rapper, im a hustler' so that has already eroded the mind of the young ones coming up. Let alone Jay being a Snake to his peoples rather be Lyor Cohens lap dog and Steve Stoutes bitch.

All the kids coming up dont like Jay anyway they find him boring, Jay has no subject matter either' im rich you cant buy my shit 'or' i sold crack' or 'please call me the best here is why' .... type of rhymes.

c/s.............
  • 'nino'jacob'nino'jacob Posts: 154
    edited July 2011
    nothing positive about rhyming about yachts, its all superficial

from swag to crack, to guns and murking niggas...its a cycle of garbage, there is no balance, u sellin pipe dreams to these kids.

lets talk on politics, teach these lil niggas some history once in a while, address the balance.

niggas quick to say "i'm a real ass nigga", well den be a real ass nigga, speak some real shit, reality rap

this aint about jayz, it goes for most of these rappers

when u have a platform, u can make a change, ur in a position of power.

you have white artists such as morrissey addressing politics while still selling out arenas, enlightening the youth, on the flipside we have niggas goin on 50 still talkin about crack sales

if these white folk can do it and sell large amount of records and get luv, i dont see why niggas cant do that shit too

why niggas always have to play the bad guy?
    Jay-z music encourages economic empowerment, i ain't the only nigga in the corporate world that bumps his shit. It may be shallow to you, but it's a soundtrack to me & my peers.

As for rappers kicking knowledge? LOL, History? Did girls act their age when they heard ''i can''? Did black people feel better knowing that all their ancestors were kings & queens(false but anyway.)?' Talking about black men building pyramids on mars like X-clan was wack then & its wack now. This is music b, everyone has their tastes but no matter how you drop it the public does not want to hear history lessons, much less from uneducated niggas in their music.
    No white music fans are just like us, they love the same gangsters we do and they largely consume music that aint about nothing just like us. Nobody really takes Bono and his humanitarian steez serious, fukk Botswana fans of u2 wanna hear good music. Don't get me wrong i think we need more rap music of substance, and that comes when artists producing art thats a true reflection of themselvs. If you a really bout that street life so be it.
    edited July 2011
    nino wrote:
    Jay-z music encourages economic empowerment, i ain't the only nigga in the corporate world that bumps his shit. It may be shallow to you, but it's a soundtrack to me & my peers.

As for rappers kicking knowledge? LOL, History? Did girls act their age when they heard ''i can''? Did black people feel better knowing that all their ancestors were kings & queens(false but anyway.)?' Talking about black men building pyramids on mars like X-clan was wack then & its wack now. This is music b, everyone has their tastes but no matter how you drop it the public does not want to hear history lessons, much less from uneducated niggas in their music. Nor should they, no white people take Bono and his humanitarian shit serious, if you actually into that scene of music you would know they put up with it but u2 fans just wanna hear good music like us. Don't get me wrong i think we need more rap music of substance, and that comes with artists producing art thats a true reflection of themselvs.

jay made his money off music, which was originally funded by drug money

you and jay have absolutely nothing in common, so cut all the "corporate world" shit out.

nothing more hilarious than these wannabe jayz who think they will become rich off rap music or because they put on a black suit

it's only black people who luv to hate on politically charged music or anything which remotely educates

the white man can sing all day along about politics and sell millions of records and enlighten the youth, but as soon as black rapper decides to do it "nobody wanna hear that shit, too soft for me"

we carry on rappin about guns, drugs and crack sales while the jew mans pocket gets bigger.

the public will never get to hear such music because the jews at the top will not allow such music....

rappin politics gets u chased around by the feds and a investigation into ur family history, the last nigga to talk on black issues and talk of political black parties was murked 2 weeks later.
    edited July 2011
    nino wrote:

As for rappers kicking knowledge? LOL, History? Did girls act their age when they heard ''i can''? Did black people feel better knowing that all their ancestors were kings & queens(false but anyway.)?' Talking about black men building pyramids on mars like X-clan was wack then & its wack now. This is music b, everyone has their tastes but no matter how you drop it the public does not want to hear history lessons, much less from uneducated niggas in their music. Nor should they, no white people take Bono and his humanitarian shit serious, if you actually into that scene of music you would know they put up with it but u2 fans just wanna hear good music like us. Don't get me wrong i think we need more rap music of substance, and that comes with artists producing art thats a true reflection of themselvs.

Who said anything about "kicking knowledge"?? Kicking knowledge sounds like a concept that JayZ would criticize Nas for attempting.

Did girls become prostitutes when they heard "Big Pimpin"?

Why do whites and white-washed negro's have a problem when Black people say we came from Kings and Queens but don't have a problem when white academia says we all came from monkeys or we were all uncivilized savages??

I didn't hear X-Clan talk about Mars, you must be confusing that wack JayZ song called Venus Vs Mars.

Only a fool would assume whites don't take Bono serious when his fundraisers rake in millions of dollars.

Never use the words "white people" and "nigga" in the same sentence, the word cracka is better suited when using nigga.